Basing: Easy Rock Bases on the Cheap

I recently published a short article on my blog about creating simple rock bases. You can find the article here: How-To Rock Bases on the Cheap.

I hope you will find it useful. It also has me wondering what other methods there are out there for creating rock bases aside from the obvious choice, adding rocks. This method uses pine bark which is cheap to get, goes a long way, and look really good when painted.

I work with bark mulch (wood chips) and majority of the time its saturated with water. Did you have problems painting it? But this actual look pretty good. Im impressed. Well done actually quite helpful.

• 3 months later...
The stuff you buy from gardening centres in the bags is 99% of the time treated with some sort of chemical to slow the rotting process however that said your going to be using it for miniatures and not putting on your roses. You may try getting some organic stuff because I dont know how the bagged stuff will effect painting and brushes.

I haven't had any issues. If you buy it fresh it should be fairly dry, but a few pieces out in the sun to dry well beforehand can't hurt. Ultimately, you are coming it with a layer of primer and multiple layers of paint, so some sort of sealing effect should happen, even if to a minor extent. All in all, I have found it to be a fairly easy and trouble free process.

Short answer. Sealing is a layer of protection that prevents paint coming off of a model. You use varnish of various types to do so (gloss, matte, satin). However, what I meant in my previous comment was just that fact that by following the process on my blog, you get some degree of sealing just because of all of the paint and primer you put on the bases. So, I haven't really put any actual sealer on my bases and they are doing fine.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Archived