Something New...ish - Flesh Eaters WiP

Well, it's been quite a while since I've posted here! Although, I have stalked you all from the shadows, and I must say that everyone is doing some fantastic work! ;)

After failing the B&C painting challenge, I decided to walk down a different yet familiar road with my 40K army.

FLESH EATERS

Testing, testing:

gallery_55263_6239_125883.jpg

This is my most extensive modelling/conversion I have ever done...

gallery_55263_6239_1401139.jpg

gallery_55263_6239_3190128.jpg

gallery_55263_6239_905506.jpg

All of the Flesh Eaters I will be doing are inspired by Chaplain Desmodus.

His website can be found here

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood,

Chaplain Hiltraud

I love what you've done to make that Power fist into a lightning claw (I'm assuming that's what it counts as). Been pondering how to do something similar recently. I'm assuming you used combat knives or something similar?

Dude, you just made my day! It's good to see the poor Flesh Eaters brought to life here, I was ticked when I heard the recent BA codex killed them off, a chapter that stood proud as far back as the RT days. Awesome job on the Apothecaries' narthcanium (sp?), that looks spot on. I'll be watching this thread closely, keep it up, brother!

Thanks for the kind comments...

@ItCameFrom1994: it's called a Narthecium/Reductor ;)

@Retributis: I've used a similar method to Vairocanum's Pre-Heresy Lightning Claws however, I have done a few tweeks and my way is a bit more expensive so to speak:

I've used a Powerfist that was not a clenched fist. A sharp knife, some good glue. And a Lightning Claw..

With the powerfist, I've only cut the tips of the fingers (to the first joint). And then I sharpened the thumb with my knife and file.

Then I've cut all the blades off the Lightning Claw. I've trimmed only a little off one blade and then from there cut the next one a little smaller, then the next a little smaller than that etc so I've ended up with blades that go from big to small.

The biggest blade gets glued first to the middle finger, the next blade to the index, the next to the ring finger and finally the smallest to the pinky :(

Quick update of what I've been working on in my spare time ;)

Captain ?

gallery_55263_6239_1232531.jpg

First Dreadnought (revised yet again ;)

gallery_55263_6239_2087014.jpg

After revising the above Dread, I found this gem in one of my old boxes...

Dreadnought Chaplain

gallery_55263_6239_2680057.jpg

I've also modified a few VV here's one of my favourites.

gallery_55263_6239_171996.jpg

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood

Chaplain Hiltraud

Thanks for the kind comments!

The cleaver is my favourite (and simplest) conversion I've ever done...

I knocked up a really quick logo in paint and think I might stick with this, it's a mix of Chaplain Desmodus' Chapter Symbol and the original RT Symbol - I just wanted something a little less World Eaters and a less khorney.......:P

gallery_55263_6239_11435.jpg

And here's some models I converted today/tonight. I've never had models come together so quickly!!

The rest of the VV squad:

Serg with Glaive Encarmine (Flesh Eaters style)

gallery_55263_6239_2703040.jpg

VV with a Powerfist/Lightning Claw

*Out of all the fantastic VV models, I really disliked this one....*

**I'm not sure what I will say the weapon counts as yet, I just really liked the look of it on this model. What do you think?**

gallery_55263_6239_2477760.jpg

***NB: I've Blessed, Re-Blessed and then Blessed again ALL Chaos related wargear***

gallery_55263_6239_770304.jpg

Another model that is beginning to be a favourite

gallery_55263_6239_619873.jpg

The Chaplain Dread as it stands, note the sharp fingers ;)

gallery_55263_6239_456740.jpg

Sneak Preview of yet another revisted model, this time it's my Reclusiarch who counts as Astorath.

gallery_55263_6239_3406401.jpg

Now that's an axe!

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood

Chaplain Hiltraud

BTW: Dark Apostle Thirst, None of our chapter will ever join the likes of any traitorous swine or any of the foul Chaos Gods! I can feel my blood boiling at the memory of The Red Strife, such treachery! Must...Suppress...The...RAGE!!!!!!!!!

A quick update of what's been happening!

I felt as though I lacked direction with the units so I made an Army list of 1000pts with a multitude of Fluffy units and things that I like...

Flesh Eaters 1000pt

Captain (Voivod Velocis) [Quick, able bodied]

2xLightning Claws, Jump pack

Sang priest(Sapienias)[Wise]

Lightning Claw, Jump Pack

Chaplain(Caetos)[good judgement]

Powerfist

Death Company x9(Caia) [to rejoice]

1 Powerfist, 1 Plasma Pistol +CCW, 3x Bolt Pistols + CCW, 5x Boltguns

DC are Mounted in Drop Pod with Chaplain

Drop Pod(Celestia) [from the heavens]

Deathwind Missile Launcher

Assault Squad x 10(Leratio)[song of my soul]

2x Meltaguns, Serg has: Infernus Pistol + Powerfist

Assault Squad x 10(Dextria)[able bodied]

2x Flamer, Serg has: 2x Lightning Claws

So that's the direction I'm headed, although, I may get distracted along the way...I have a habit of doing that!

Now for some WiP pics

I've paid my dues to the chapter in Blood...

gallery_55263_6239_853583.jpg

gallery_55263_6239_1464792.jpg

Undercoated Sang. Priest, I'm really happy that the details held up!

gallery_55263_6239_1374716.jpg

Incoming! DC droppod first stages..

gallery_55263_6239_77948.jpg

Motifs for my Rhino(distraction) door

gallery_55263_6239_2545861.jpg

And (later) I will be re-doing my LR that I had already painted for my failed Ultras :rolleyes:

gallery_55263_6239_3418753.jpg

So not a big update! but more to come!

Yours in Honour, Faith and BLOOD!

Chaplain Hiltraud

• 2 weeks later...

This is a quick tease of the first squad I've been working on...I wanted them to look as though they are springing into an assault and/or ambushing their victims...

Serg with LC's

gallery_55263_6239_582228.jpg

I wanted him to look as though he is gracefully landing on the rock, choosing his victim.

First 2 + Flamer

gallery_55263_6239_1281063.jpg

I've varied the heights of my first squad just to mix it up a little...note the vet on the right.

Next 2 + Flamer

gallery_55263_6239_1166566.jpg

Yep these guys are undercoated ready for painting...I've made sure to kit all of them out with the appropriate wargear.

Final 3

gallery_55263_6239_2154386.jpg

You can't see it in this pic but the guy on the right has fangs! Pain to do but worth it..only 7 more heads to go :/

That's all for now, happy hunting...

Chaplain Hiltraud

• 2 weeks later...

The squad above has had a little more work done to it, but nothing of worthy pics - they will come soon though...

Recently I've learned that Blood Angel Brother Edward (BABE for short) passed about a year ago - I felt gutted that it took me so long to return to the first 40K site I ever visted!

I remember when I was but a young man readying to start Battle training. Apart from being a great mentor and friend to all people who crossed paths with him, Brother Edward actually helped guide me towards the Chapter that I would eventually find my true calling with (The Flesh Eaters of course!!) And I know that he helped and inspired many people along his journey. He was a great man and will be missed by many..

Like a few of the other members of 'Ex Libris Mortis' I thought it would be fitting to do a tribute model for Brother Edward.

One member ('Commander Sammirus') has created rules for a model inspired by one one of BABE's own.

Sanguinary High Priest Bekr - Keeper of the Libris Mortis.....................130 Points

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

5 4 4 4 2 5 3 9 3+

Unit Composition:

1 (Unique)

Unit Type:

Jump Infantry

Wargear:

Power Armour

Jump Pack

Power Weapon

Plasma Pistol

The Libris Mortis

Frag and Krak grenades

Special Rules:

Fearless

Independent Character

The Libris Mortis:The Book of the Dead is a relic of the Blood Angels chapter and has been kept since the time of the Great Crusade. Whenever a Blood Angel gives his life in the name of the Emperor and Sanguinius in the defense of mankind his name is added to the Libris Mortis. Any Blood Angels that see Bekr nearby will know that their name will be remembered and will fight with unmatched resolve. All friendly units within 6” are subject to the Fearless, Furious Charge, and Feel No Pain special rules.

I really like the above idea and decided I would incoperate this character into my Flesh Eaters army.

I will do a short history for my model;

Brother Bekr is apart of Voivod Velocis' Grand Company (3rd) he is their Sanguinary High Priest and acts as a battle scribe; his illustrations and writings are highly revered amongst the Flesh Eaters.

He is the keeper of the 'Libris Mortis' and is also the hand that guides the young to keep their thirst in check. It has been said amongst the Flesh Eaters that when Brother Bekr is close, you feel a steeley calm and our thirst and rage is focused into much more purposeful actions.

Brother Bekr is one of the few Flesh Eaters that are permitted to wear the wings of Sanguinius, an artifact made by the Chapters most skilled techmarine Brother Kalaahn, they are made in the likelyness of Sanguinius' own wings and, at the time of the forge, the metal is infused with the blood of the honoured bearer.

Brother Bekr's armour is predominately red to show that he has been able to keep his thirst and rage in control. The white of his wings are to represent his purity. His gold halo was acheived stopping the darkest hour of the 3rd Company.

Here is my WiP of my tribute:

My other projects are on hold untill I finish this model...

Flesh Eaters Style head:

gallery_55263_6239_2878756.jpg

This was a new style of head, I saw this somewhere on B&C and thought it was a great idea.

The body:

gallery_55263_6239_3325580.jpg

I was worried about the pose but it's grown on me. This model has taught me allot about GS..

RHS showing Reductor:

gallery_55263_6239_539052.jpg

This was fun as it came from a metal model - I LOVE chopping stuff up :D

LHS showing the Libris Mortis:

gallery_55263_6239_470655.jpg

This is my favourite thing on the model, I learnt how to make a proper looking book and I learnt how to make chain. You can't see it but I deliberately chose the Sanguinius mask with the blood drop that is on his cheek - He's mouring for all his sons that have fallen in battle..

Custom Chalice style shoulder Pad:

gallery_55263_6239_3205606.jpg

Tricky but fun to do, I will add some rivets tomorrow.

Jump Pack:

gallery_55263_6239_531576.jpg

Astorath's wings. Had to put down some GS so te wings stayed off the shoulder pads - the GS will be covered up.

I really wanted to try new things with this model, I know that some things aren't perfect on it but all in all, I have really enjoyed making it!!

Now it's time for some painting ^_^

Chaplain Hiltraud

Great conversions going on here, Hiltraud, I whole heartedly approve; and I am envious of your sculpting of fangs as it is something that I have been struggling with my BA since I went down the vampire-esque route with mine.

You do know that the 'proper' RT era Flesh Eater colour is very similar to the BA only with white details on the head and shoulder pad? Just sayin' as I think that would look awesome and very different to most peoples FE who tend to follow Desmodus' own awe inspiring stuff. Not trying to change your mind or anything :devil: :) EDIT:- I'm sure you have seen it!

Anyways, my faves? The priest from post 1 and your Astorath convesion. Looking forward to more :)

gotta say chaplain. These troopers are starting to make mine feel a little uncomfortable in their boots.

But all in all they are amazing conversions and I think that sanguinary high priest Berkis (sp?) is freaking amazing. I really like his fluff and idea for creation. I never met "BABE" but I feel like this is an amazing way to honor him.

Keep up the good work chaplain and continue to inspire me here. I might steal some of your ideas or techniques I notice if you don't mind :P

Archived