Something New...ish - Flesh Eaters WiP

Good lord man!! That is impressive!!

Now a quesiton. Its probably been asked of you before but how do you do your angel wings? The shading parts is what I am having trouble with. And could it be replaced with a blue instead of grey shading to it?

Thanks!

Excedis

Great to see your log back in action, it has been a while! Priest has turned out really well, I didn't imagine you would paint him gold but it looks spot on, especially with the weathering. How did you paint his skin, very 'undead'

Edit - cheers for the comment about mine, just got back into painting so there will be an update soon. No doubt you will see plenty of ideas stolen lol

@ Brother Excedis: Thankyou for the kind words ;)

The way I do my wings and whites are the same: basecoat codex grey, then a thick edge highighlight of space wolves grey,(basically just don't paint over the codex grey in the recesses.) then a final highlight of skull white. To do the weathering on the wings, I just painted 'cracks' with skull white and then a thin line of codex grey through the middle.

BTW you could totally start with a blue instead of the grey just play around with the different blues and you'll get it ;)

@ AlexCrute: They're good......ish B)

@Midnight Runner: It's good to be back Brother!! Your Flesh Eaters was the first post I looked at when I returned, simply stunning man, I love 'em. Can't wait to see the update!

I painted Brother Viartore gold because I've always loved the old gold HG models and if I had but one gold squad in my army it was always going to be an ode to them! Plus old gold looks cool :) Wait till you see the rest of the HG ;)

I thin all of my paints down with water, recipe for the flesh is: scorched brown, liche purple, rotting flesh x2 or 3 (just highlight it up), 50/50 rotting flesh/bleached bone highlights, really thinned down leviathian purple wash. Really thinned red gore around the eyes and ? yellow eyes.

@Snejk: The more the merry!!

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood,

Chaplain Hiltraud

Some WiP shots of my ETL Vow, I didn't do many, I broke my good camera and am using my phone camera, which was giving me the :D :cuss :cuss :cuss so yeah....my next post will be when these guys are finished...

Group Shot

gallery_55263_6239_1885707.jpg

Sarg and Squad Leader

gallery_55263_6239_2729879.jpg

Axehead

gallery_55263_6239_146410.jpg

[EDIT]**Pesky Mold Lines!!^^

Blood for The Blood G....I mean this axe (and my FE symbol) is a little world eater-ish but eh, what can you do, I like it, it screams brutal Flesh Eaters to me :D

Chaplain Hiltraud

• 2 weeks later...

Painting of my ETL vow is about halfway but in the meantime, and I know I said I wasn't going to post untill the painting was complete but I have two offerings:

This is my DC dread, [and also my second vow if I get there!] I really love the stock model and didn't want to convert it at all but I coundn't help adding a little FE touch...

'Petios Von Ilibraet'

gallery_55263_6239_205209.jpg

gallery_55263_6239_672328.jpg

I added a trophy rack to commemorate some of Petios' kills and some gore on the Blood Talons, I also changed the aspect of the honour paper as seen in the side shot.

The rest of his FE touches will be in the painting...

The next photo is a very very early WiP of my counts as Mephiston, I can see something great happening here and I want to document this model. Like I said, very early stage.

My idea is to have him floating above the ground, in armour similar to Astorath, and similar to my Very first Captain, who is sadly, no more...The face while be as is, because he is the only model in my army who wears a 'true' death mask of Sanguinius. I'm not sure whether I'm going to give him draped robes or any sort of cape yet.

'Vladrik Von Morhein'

gallery_55263_6239_719600.jpg

You'll notice Vladrik doesn't have a sword or CC weapon, he is instead a master of hand to hand combat and so his weapons are his hands..which have master crafted guantlets, you'll see :P

Mephiston has a plasma pistol and I really wanted to represent that Vladrik is too a master psychic so I came up with this idea:

gallery_55263_6239_1140126.jpg

A servo skull with PP attached, Vladrik is psychically attached to this and controls it...

Chaplain Hiltraud

This is a small tease/dilemma.

What I am having trouble with is creating *good* looking battle damage on black armour, staying well away from the 'metallic' method. I paint my black armour with a mix of blue and grey added to the black to create a more realistic black and keeping the recesses neutral black.

I tried a few different methods of battle damage but this method worked best for me, a black/brown mix.

C+C will be appriciated...keep in mind that only the armour and metal are complete, base/eyes are not.

gallery_55263_6239_47066.jpg

This pic shows the battle damage better....As with all close up shots, I just noticed I need to redo the shoulder pad and back right of jp too big, looks :censored: :P

gallery_55263_6239_541627.jpg

Chaplain Hiltraud

Looking good man, suitably beat up! Black is hard to achieve and is something I struggle with bigtime. I would consider a few metallic chips there as it adds to that well used beat up affect, at least to some deeper score marks/bullet holes. Nice to see some left overs in the chain blade too.....

Mephy counts as has the making of a great mini, looking forward to seeing more of him.

Good luck with the ETL :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comment Midnight Runner.

I'm definately going to add some deep wounds and bullet holes to a few models, but I intend to steer away from the metallic only because I feel ceramite armour isn't metal and I wanted to paint the battle damage on black to 'fit in' with the red battle damage. It's proving to be quite a challenge!!

You can hardly see damage on black in real life and it is much the same with my models...when you do see it though, it looks pretty good. Very subtle.

And now, I had to put these pics up because, it is one of the best models I have ever painted. I learnt and am learning a whole new range of techniques and although I haven't perfected them *yet* I'm really happy with the way the painting has turned out. Most notable; eyes, gems and battle damage.

gallery_55263_6239_1091368.jpg

gallery_55263_6239_712175.jpg

This model is the Sarg in my ETL challenge, if you were wondering :)

Chaplain Hiltraud

Wow!

It's been a very long while since I visited the B&C and this is the first I come across.

Well done job on the FEs, true to the original ideas and nicely mixed in with the current BA plastics. :tu:

I especially liked the red Sang HP, awesome metal/plastic combo and DAMN YOU for actually converting the exact same idea I toyed with a few years back, I have all the raw materials in my bitz box too. :)

Also it was very cool to see your Voivod conversion with bat wings, quite similar to my old drawing if I'm not mistaken.

Flattering stuff!! :D

/Des

I am honoured Chaplain Desmodus.

It was you all those years ago that inspired me to play and create FE!

The main thought behind my Flesh Eaters was to stay true to your ideas while also incorporating some of my own and some of what I have seen floating around the internet. So I'm very pleased that you like them! :D

The Red SP was done as a tribute model to BABE, and is still one of my best models...Great minds think alike!

And yes, the Voivod was based on your original drawing (amongst other things) unfortunatly, he was dropped by a friend and suffered irrepairable damage...he is currently being re-done.

More to come very, very soon.....

Chaplain Hiiltraud

I just found this thread!!!

AWESOME work!!! Very cool conversions!!!

I think that the scraps hanging from the Dread's power fists will prove to be a pain and will break off, but really that is the ONLY constructive critisizm I can come up with.

Truly some inspirational work!

I can't wait to see more. :tu:

• 3 weeks later...

It took some time. The battle for my Flesh Eaters was intense.

I got tempted by Every Chaos God; 2 week Sickness of Nurgle, Whispers of painting change from Tzeentch, a rabid 11y/o cousin; possessed by a Khornate daemon and the allure of money whispered to me by Slaanesh. :D

Lets just say it was a crazy month.

Now for Something completely different...Chaplain Hiltraud has finished his first EVER squad to completion!! :eek !!YEAH!! :(

I learnt a great deal when I was painting this Squad and I tried allot of new methods; some were banished to the warp, others were taken on board and offered refuge.

I have a little fluff in the works but for now, Here is Lurgan the 'Tenderizer' and co.

gallery_55263_6239_1464722.jpg

gallery_55263_6239_655446.jpg

gallery_55263_6239_824324.jpg

*note the honour marking on the far right marines helm ;)

gallery_55263_6239_2129506.jpg

*Another honour marking on the helm in the middle, my favourite.

gallery_55263_6239_548728.jpg

*Melta guys. And I went a little crazy with the guy in the middle, he was my first gore test.

gallery_55263_6239_314370.jpg

*Axe was scratch built from greenstuff, standard bearer hand and shaft, a couple of mangled chainswords and plasti-card.

gallery_55263_6239_1600330.jpg

*Skin-Cloth, this will be a theme in my Flesh Eaters army, They eat flesh and make trophy lion cloths from skin! And freshly-blown-off-soon-to-be-eaten arm.

gallery_55263_6239_272429.jpg

*An old sculpt, it's an honour marking, another theme for my army

gallery_55263_6239_2440715.jpg

*Am still not so sure about this, I wanted to try something new, didn't have the same effect as using blue but I only figured that out after finishing the whole squad.

*Also, check out the melta guy, skin cloth and damaged chapter symbol.

All in all, I am really happy with the way this squad turned out. And I'm really, really, really happy that I finished something :D

Chaplain Hiltraud

Archived