Project Finecast

The purpose of this thread is to compare my personal experience of assembleing and painting the Astorath mini simulainiously in Metal and Finecast to see just how "fine" Finecast really is. I've chosen Astorath as IMO he is GW's new benchmark mini.

So to begin with,

Model Prep

Metal - 0

Finecast - 1

Finecast wins this one as it's moulding was significantly smoother, with less bits and flash needing removal. Mould lines and sprue attachment areas were a breeze with a fresh hobby blade. Any wonky parts were easily straightened by holding the Finecast part under my hot water tap for no more than 5 secs, then held in place under cold water.

As for the metal alot more clean-up was required on all parts of the mini, even with a fresh blade the mould lines were significantly harder to get to the smooth easy finish of the finecast equivelent. Secondly, the axe head snapped off while I was carefully trimming the mould line on the inside of the axe head, I then managed to ruin it with some wonky pin-viceing.

gallery_48988_6253_827003.jpg

It's a crap phone pic, but you can see the damage.

Assembly

Metal - 0

Finecast - 2

Another one to Finecast, once a small amount of super glue was applied, I held the parts for 7-10 seconds, done didn't have to touch them again, there no gaps large enough for me to bother filling with GS, everything, just fit. From the sprue to assembled it was about 5 mins.

As for the metal, I spent 10 mins on the axe alone, about 8 mins was reattaching the axe head without also attaching my fingers, then another 5-8 mins attaching the wrists, which will need some GS fill, and another 15 mins sitting holding the wings onto the jump-pack, bringing it to a total of 40 mins for the metal

gallery_48988_6253_502.jpg

gallery_48988_6253_4467.jpg

Don't worry, the wonkyness of the Finecast has been fixed with the afore mentioned method.

Will keep the thread updated as I move into the painting stages.

Cheers,

Jono

I can accept all your examples except one. Your time spent waiting around for glue to dry could be eliminated completely with an accelerant.

I agree, an accelerant would help with the super glue set time, but I'm only equipment found at GW, their knife, glue, paints.

I was considering replacing my metal Astorath with a enw finecast one because I'm sick and tired of the wings falling off (3 times during his last battle!) and I think you've just convinced me to do so. What really helped though was seeing the two models side-by-side. You can see that the finecast one's detail is a lot cleaner and crisper than the metal one.

Guess I'll hitting my local independant retailer this weekend (need some more undercoat anyway...............)

Heresy! This person is clearly in the employ of Games Workshop and got the sculptors to actually sculpt this very Astorath, Finecast can't be of this quality!

Being serious now, its refreshing to see the good Finecast products getting a review now, instead of all the naysayers shooting it down.

I was considering replacing my metal Astorath with a enw finecast one because I'm sick and tired of the wings falling off (3 times during his last battle!) and I think you've just convinced me to do so. What really helped though was seeing the two models side-by-side. You can see that the finecast one's detail is a lot cleaner and crisper than the metal one.

Guess I'll hitting my local independant retailer this weekend (need some more undercoat anyway...............)

I definitely recommend it, just be sure to open it in store and check it over completely. Also, I recommend a fresh blade on your knife of choice, but be careful, it was easier to cut (read damage the detail) than GW's plastic.

Cheers,

Jono

I definitely recommend it, just be sure to open it in store and check it over completely. Also, I recommend a fresh blade on your knife of choice, but be careful, it was easier to cut (read damage the detail) than GW's plastic.

Cheers,

Jono

I know exactly what you mean - I bought the Emperors Chanpion and Inquisitor Coteaz models on day of release and went through every blister on the shelf to make sure I got the best one I could find.

You definately don't need much pressure when cutting finecast - I managed to remove Coteazs psyber-eagle just about intact with very minimal pressure ready for a further conversion.

Archived