Silver Skulls: Gideon Battle Tanks

Happy to see your army back, the 30 assembly line seems to be a hard task but they are looking good so far Sicksix.

BTW how is the Land Raider going? Did you do some progress in it?

Thanks. Yeah, pushing 30 models at time is probably too much. The 'gratification' is very delayed lol. You get burned out painting 60 straight shoulder pads black!

The LR is primed. I'm still going over paint schemes in my head. And still have done no (more) conversion work on the second LR. I don't want them to be too identical.

• 1 month later...

I am not dead! I did take a break from my army due to RL for a few weeks. I have started chiping away at finishing my tacticals again. Getting close to having nearly all bolter marines to where I am comfortable calling them "table top standard." I am however once again at odds with how to delineate company color. I really wanted green but so far I don't like anything I have tried yet. Just don't think I have gotten the right shade of green for the tactical arrow yet. And then there is the whole issue of free-handing the arrows to begin with. Anyways, here are a couple pictures of minor progress. The first of my attempt at burnt muzzle effects.

gallery_61777_6266_252396.jpg

I put a layer of blue wash on first and then badab black covering 3/4 of the blue.

gallery_61777_6266_827576.jpg

gallery_61777_6266_411205.jpg

This is my Prognosticar WIP. The finescast made the helmet insertion possible. I would likely not have attempted it if it was metal. I do not like helmetless marines, its silly really. And I don't like painting skin.

I am having trouble deciding on a common cloth color for the company as well. Open to suggestions.

Edited by SickSix

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the progress on the first Land Raider.

gallery_61777_6266_172307.jpg

gallery_61777_6266_406977.jpg

gallery_61777_6266_187413.jpg

And because I was getting a little burned out on painting, and I'm waiting on some paints in the mail, I started building the command squad from my Megaforce box. Here is the Company Champion:

gallery_61777_6266_281475.jpg

Nothing special about the figure other than the maxmini steam knight helmet and the GW Silver Skull shoulderpad. I am either going to order some resin bases or try my hand at more decorative bases for the command squad.

Woot! Making progress. Here are some WIP pics of my terminators.

gallery_61777_6266_785226.jpg

Feedback welcome.

@SickSix - A great army, I cannot paint that great as I have a shaky hand. A minor critique, please could you drill out all the barrels on the Assault Cannon.

Edited by Scion of Ferrus

• 2 weeks later...

A small update. I have got some Vallejo Model Air Chrome and I think it really stands out as my 'silver' highlight. I tried it first on my Terminators.

gallery_61777_6266_57591.jpg

gallery_61777_6266_222166.jpg

And here is a WIP shot of the first two Dreadnoughts.

gallery_61777_6266_933621.jpg

9JAN12

I have not been idle! Unfortunately there is nothing colorful to show. But I have been busting my fingers cleaning mold lines and assembling LOTS of fiddly bits. I got all five rhino chassis detailed out. Built hatch options and stormbolters for all. Built the last Land Speeder and will be happy to NEVER assemble another one. Did some clean up work on one that was assembled years ago (badly, very badly). Some of it's errors cannot be hidden. I am not even sure who built it, probably my old roommate. I have magnets inside the doors of each Landspeeder so any of them can have the Typhoon launchers. Might need to a add a stabilizing bit to the launchers so they don't spin around. Anyways, it's not a flashy update, but assembly has to be done before they can be painted lol. Sorry about the crappy pictures. Using my phone.

gallery_61777_6266_933228.jpg

gallery_61777_6266_962333.jpg

Oh and the gunners for the speeders are not glued and will be magnetized.

Tomorrow will be priming day. I expect to go through quite a bit of grey and black primer. I didn't like how utterly black my Landraider is, so I am going to try (on tanks) priming in grey, preshading with black, and then coating in a very dark grey (Vallejo Air Germain Grey). So we shall see how that turns out. All 'air' vehicles will be silver/metallic basecoat over black primer (speeders & yet to be built pods).

• 1 month later...

Howdy Brother Sicksix

I am flattered you thought my own Silver Skulls were worthy of emulation. Thanks.

That being said, this is a most impressive blog you have going here. I have been dwelling away from BNC and have not been checking much of anything for a long while, but here I am now.

My own landraider, still not complete. Actually, my whole company of SS is about 60% complete.

It may be too late for all of this

I chose red for my company because it looked better with the dark metallic and the shiny skull. The red is the only warm color in my pallette, so it provided a bit of visual interest for the eye.

The Mithril Silver with a blue wash and then Mithril highlight is there to provide a nice contrast to the darker dull metallic. By combining the 2 colors, I get a lot of visual interest in my army.

Not to say there is anything wrong with the green you have so far, it just they I did what I did.

The steam Knight Heads look really nice. I have some of those myself, but I was going to do them for Iron hands, although now they will likely be for Imperial Fists.

The vehicles are cool looking, one of the things I did for a lot of my armor was take the cities of death parts, cut them out and trim them down to make them look more Gothic and to further emphasize the headhunter fluff I wanted for my guys.

My collection of skulls is from my own other projects that I had left over, along with begging anyone and everyone who might have any extra bits they did'nt need.

On my latest army, Dark Eldar, I have been fortunate enough to increase my collection of totems and skulls for the rest of my army. If you know any DE players, they likely have some extra bits laying around that you could get to add extra skulls and trophies to your army.

Also, one of the things I did with mine was to make the armor much darker than the helmet. Most SS players don't really do this to the same extreme I did, but I didn't want my guys getting confused with Grey Knights or Iron Snakes. There were a lot of Iron Snakes being done at the time of my Silver Skulls.

I used P3 Pig iron, was several times with badab Black and Devlan Mud. The Devlan mud really helps to deepen and darken the metallic, moreso than the black does on its own. I don't know why, but it does, and it looks more natural and realistic, or as realistic and we can get in a game which has little to do with reality. LOL I then drybrush up carefully, and wash another time to help dull some of the shine so the helmet would stand out more.

I look forward to more of your blog here. Great Stuff!

• 3 weeks later...
Howdy Brother Sicksix

I am flattered you thought my own Silver Skulls were worthy of emulation. Thanks.

That being said, this is a most impressive blog you have going here. I have been dwelling away from BNC and have not been checking much of anything for a long while, but here I am now.

Wow, GAR himself posting in my WIP blog! Your army was of GREAT inspiration for me. I have been derelict in my duties however. I haven't worked on these guys in over a month. After a two week trip out of town I came back home and bought myself Skyrim (the latest Elder Scrolls RPG) and have been hooked on it ever since. However, seeing you post in my thread has got me itching for 40k again. I will probably pull myself away from the computer game here in the next few days and start back on my table-top gaming.

I loved your LandRaider and built my first one off of your design. The cities of death pieces are great sources of skulls, but you have to be willing to put in the work to extract them!

I am flattered that you like my army so far and I hope I do the Silver Skulls justice before when I'm done.

UPDATE!!

So I have been in completely hooked on Skyrim for the last month like a crack addict. Well Just this weekend I realized that I had made a Painting Vow and then was shocked to come back here and see it was due by 31 March!

So in earnest, I started working again! (I was getting the 40k itch anyways, getting bored of PC games again).

Nothing flashing but got a LOT done really. Priming and Basecoat have to be done. And once something is basecoated, the motivation to paint it comes much easier to me.

So my Vow is to complete 1x PA Librarian, 5x Sterngaurd and 5x Vangaurd. I also basecoated my command squad and LOTS of magnetized arm pieces! Those were a PITA!

gallery_61777_6266_193987.jpg

gallery_61777_6266_268841.jpg

The Sternguard got most of their black bits painted and a Badab Black wash. I am going to try and make my Sternguard grittier, like the one shown in the Silver Skulls info thread. Also these photos were taken with my phone, so they are not great. Once I start making real progress I will have my better camera available.

Hopefully I can beat the deadline so I don't have to have that shameful banner in my signature :)

Good to see you remembered your vow, you have some very cool looking models here. I know what you mean about those Silver Skull shoulder pads, I picked some up for my Chaos warband, and they look a little off jutting out so far. Nice work so far, good luck with your vow!

Ok got a lot done. Got the base coats of the details going on the Sternguard.

gallery_61777_6266_200957.jpg

gallery_61777_6266_95274.jpg

Problem is I tried to do the glowing eye effect and jacked it up attempting to put the little white dots on for the jewel effect. And for some reason before I even painted the helmets silver.... So that was silly but I think I can work through that. Nothing another coat of paint can't fix.

These guys look great. Are you going to make their helmets a lighter shade of silver?

Yes, I use Vallejo Model Air Chrome to do the silver details. I have since done a little more work on them including the silver on the helms and other parts.

Getting very close to being done with my Sternguard. But I am not sure if I am going to complete my vow as I am going out of town for a couple nights this week and still have my Vanguard and Librarian to go....

gallery_61777_6266_491130.jpg

gallery_61777_6266_957838.jpg

I can't stand combi-weapons with the secondary weapon on top. It is just counter to my real life experience. So when I can I try to swap them. Fairly easy with combi-meltas.

My hands are cramped! I don't have to go to work tomorrow so I stayed up. I will only have two nights left to finish these guys this week! So I did a major cram session tonight.

gallery_61777_6266_1078096.jpg