Right guys. Not an update as such but a little sneak peak.

I've been wanting to start a small Imperial force for a while mainly because I've been working on my WE on and off for years now. When I first started the hobby with the 2nd Edition box set I used to play Ultramarines. As soon as I found out about the first tyrannic war etc I was hooked. Those guys fell by the wayside as I picked up on Chaos but I've always loved that part of their history.

Over time I heard more and more about the Scythes of the Emperor who were almost wiped out entirely in the 2nd Tyrannic war. Even better! I decided a few years back that these were the marines for me :woot: I also found a website dedicated to these lost souls namely TheScythes.com On here I read about the Salvation teams. Small hard hitting units whose soul purpose was to chase down any rumours of surviving Scythes in the galaxy in hopes of rebuilding and re armouring. This is what I want to start modelling. I also really liked the alternative colour scheme found on here, I personally feel it looks a lot better than the one piece swimsuit.

Right now that healthy text block is out the way it's down to business. Sitting tonight suffering another regular bout of insomnia I decided to get up and do some work on the Black Reach marines I'd bought for the purpose of testing colour schemes. I did hit one problem though. I only own Sunburst yellow and Iyanden Darksun. This is a problem at 02:30 when you're all fired up for painting yellow. Bollox! I decided to use the Oyanden as a basecoat though and see how I got on i have taken one marine up to Sunburst level and i do quite like the look. I'll pick up some more paints later today to try other schemes.

Anyway heres a quick squint at what I roughed out this a.m.

*EDIT LOST PICS* :tu:

These are just TEST models. When I work on my full Salvation Squad it will be fairly conversion heavy. I'll start a WIP for them once I have a bit more to show.

Edited by Biohazard

Some Very nice stuff here, I love the Dread and Daemon Prince, and that yellow on the Scythes test minis is looking pretty smooth.

I'm guessing the one you've done up to Sunburst is the Tac, in which case I think it looks really vibrant but not too overbearing.

Keep it up fellow insomniac :)

You guessed right Razblood. He was given a couple of thinned coats of Iyanden the washed with Ogryn Flesh and then a couple of thinned Sunburst coats. I like the look of him but still want to try a couple of other ideas before settling for this one.

• 4 weeks later...

I love having free time after a dayshift. :(

Today I started mocking up my 2nd Daemon Prince who may end up being my version of Doombreed. Im not 100% sure yet. One thing I am sure of is I want this guy to have heavier armour than my first attempt.

Let me know what you think. I will be working on the horns so they look more part of his skull.

*EDIT LOST PICS* :(

Edited by Biohazard

Thanks guys, I'll work on him a little more this afternoon after work.

@Tanith Ghost. Parts used in the head so far are, Ogre Head with lower jaw removed and replaced with one from an Orc Boy. The large horns are from the Soul Grinders sword the smaller horns are from one of the heads you get with the DP. The armour in his lower legs is from the Necrosphinx kit. It will be adapted a little more later in the process. There's an Ogre guy plate added there as well but I really didn't like it so that's been ditched in favour of the standard loincloth from the kit. I'll work on that later as well.

What's everyone's thoughts on the smaller horns? Do they work?

Why does R/L always crop up when you start modelling? Anyway had a little free time tonight so had another look at the horns and have another set for your opinions. As you can see nothing has been properly cleaned/prepped Im just roughing out ideas at this point. Let me know what you think.

*EDIT LOST PICS* :D

Edited by Biohazard

While I do kinda agree with you I think the lower horns were a little to big so Ive had a look and lopped the horns off a CSM helmet and come up with this. I LIKE this as I feel it reminds me of the Bloodletter Champs horns.

*EDIT LOST PICS* :D

C+C very welcome. I also need some suggestions for adding a collar of Khorne without overloading him with detail.

Edited by Biohazard

That now looks pretty perfect to me. As to the Collar, well, the barding on the armour around his neck already looks similar to one, so perhaps just a Khornate symbol ontop of or replacing that vent on the chest armour?

Palladin: Great minds etc I have a Khorne symbol in place of the chest vent now. I may leave the collar off this model although if I was ever going to play these guys I could just say the barding and symbol are his collar.

TanithGhost: That model is sweet! I think I'd have to extend the neck on my one to clear the horns, like I say I may just leave it the now. This model will not be Doombreed as I don't think he would have power armour. I think he predates it all as he was one of Khornes first champion. I'll try and make time this evening to work a little more on him.

Thanks for the reply Dark Apostle Thirst. The bare hand is just a place holder the whole arms are in fact I havent really decided what Im going to do yet but I was planning on adding some of the blades from the defiler kit to try and make the arm look more like the current Lightning Claws. It would also hide more of the bare hand.

For lightning claws you could try the long spines/horns from the spawn sprue. You get tons of them and they work really well with some GS and stuff.

Edit: Another option for a collar of Khorne would be to cut one from the jugger sprue and glue it together around his neck. Just a thought.

Edited by Tanith Ghost