Olis's blog

Olis

If it's routed through Sweden or Switzerland, one of the Sw countries, it's a china one. The molds are newer there so they look better. Plus they have nicer quality control.

Well, the invoice says was "shipped via the Lenton Fulfillment Centre, Nottingham". :D

Congratulation, then! You're one of the lucky few. Although it should be better since this is a new mold.

As promised yesterday, I strode forthwith into the yonder and returned bearing that most magical (and irritating) of fluids: Superglue! ;)

So now I've begun assembly I have built the torso and the arms (mostly).

gallery_60566_6313_970433.jpg

The powerplant.

gallery_60566_6313_580720.jpg

Bolter Fist.

gallery_60566_6313_1282129.jpg

Left arm (in profile).

gallery_60566_6313_1794750.jpg

What the pose will be for the torso and the left arm.

gallery_60566_6313_1079837.jpg

Lascannons.

gallery_60566_6313_1908213.jpg

I've just realised, given the parts available, you could have the arms swapped over and have a lascannon in the left position rather than the right. Think of the possibilities... :mellow:

Also, the elbow joint armour needs to be added while the upper and lower arm sections for the Bolter Fist are being put together or you might find it won't fit! It nearly happened to me, just so you know. :cuss

Just so you know Oli I love you for giving us the pic of the TL lascannons, done most of the work on one of the auto cannon arms because of that pic :)

Mate I need your input or rather out right decision

Dessert lions using a Khaki base and heavy weathering, Lion shoulder epaulets here and there, (truescaled) on an orange sand so lots of pigments woo! OOOrrr

Carcharodon aka space sharks.. same beef, different colours! this matters because its going to mean massive sculpting on the incoming dread ;)

really cant wait to see what you do to this, really hoping you add your own spice to it with sculpts and other little bits! :)

@NightHunters - No real irritations yet, but then, I have yet to assemble the legs... (There are some small-ish mould lines to deal with, but I've seen far worse than this before.)

@Khargan - Hmm, I'd try Desert Lions (or even Celestial Lions, but that's just me) because, for now, Carcharadons are spoken for blogwise. Also that'd mean you could try using any lion bitz you might have.

In regards to the lascannons I had taken two other pictures but I felt this one was the best. :rolleyes:

Now then, as this fella is going to be a Storm Warden I'll have to, at some point do a shield with a lightning bolt upon it with (probably) plasticard. Anyone have any helpful tips for this?

The shields that come with the Ven Dread are a decent size, a little greenstuff or carved plasticard for the lightning bolt, and you'd be set. Can't wait to see this beast put together man, hurry up!!! :rolleyes:

empire steam tank shield, sanded down on its back in a curvature to not poke too far from the body, OR even a shoulder pad, like GK termies, I would be tempted to do the lightning in GS make a plain lightning bolt nice and neat, cut out the middle leaving an outline, refilling it and using a small tool or toothpick, give it a mottled hammered interior, make it look a bit more "venerated" :D

Cheers guys. So, reasonable milestone here - I've completed construction. Yay!

gallery_60566_6313_1475397.jpg

gallery_60566_6313_596042.jpg

gallery_60566_6313_319422.jpg

gallery_60566_6313_2665274.jpg

gallery_60566_6313_869391.jpg

gallery_60566_6313_65804.jpg

gallery_60566_6313_1126223.jpg

First BIG piece of advice; construct the dread from the feet up to the waist otherwise the only way things'll be not frustrating is if you pin the legs together. I know it looks like I've have had no problems from the images but believe me the fourth pic is after I took the waist back off of the torso and glued it to the legs. Only then did the torso go back on.

So, what do you guys think?

I gotta say I love the figure, really clean build!! I would seriously grab some muzzle flare from armourcast store online, (the double barreled flare) would look stupid amazing and add some light sourcing opportunities to that epic fist. cant wait to see how you personalize it!

Man, this kit looks really posable, I can't wait to pick one up. One thing though, the exaust pipes look really brittle, I can see sunlight shining through them in the last pic. Might want to strengthen them with some thin plasticard at some point and save yourself some misery later on. Just a suggestion, bro. Looking good man!

Man, this kit looks really posable, I can't wait to pick one up. One thing though, the exaust pipes look really brittle, I can see sunlight shining through them in the last pic. Might want to strengthen them with some thin plasticard at some point and save yourself some misery later on. Just a suggestion, bro. Looking good man!

It is pretty posable. I'm going to do a running pose for my Chuck. Oli great tip on the construction, feet up it is.

Cheers guys. ;)

@ Kayesh - You MIGHT be able to get the fingers to grasp something but it'd be nothing like the librarian dreadnought - the fingers are relatively stubby. But considering all four come separate and are posable, there is hope.

Next up: Personalisation.

Cheers brothers.

Small update: I've ordered some Grey Knight shield bitz over the 'net so I should hopefully get those either saturday or monday. We'll see. In the meantime I've added a couple of purity seals to my chuck and I'm currently at a creative impasse at further personalisation for him. Any thoughts, gentleman?

pics of your army so far? get an over all feel for what your going for, can give ya a whole plethora of where to go :lol:

Cheers brothers.

Small update: I've ordered some Grey Knight shield bitz over the 'net so I should hopefully get those either saturday or monday. We'll see. In the meantime I've added a couple of purity seals to my chuck and I'm currently at a creative impasse at further personalisation for him. Any thoughts, gentleman?

Right then - pics as requested:

Wide army shot, as it is atm :

gallery_60566_6313_951137.jpg

There's RG on the far left I'm going to use as sternguard.

The Contemptor dread, a BA tac squad and some Red Scorpion assault marines. Also, lurking next to the dread, are some IH devastators.

gallery_60566_6313_205035.jpg

Imperial fist bitz up front (including prospective IF commander), BT's on the left there (yet to be assigned a role) and DW on the right who may or may not act as stand in LotD.

gallery_60566_6313_1658081.jpg

No other vehicles as of yet. :rolleyes:

you've stumped me... such a variety of stuff, what chapter?! :P

I, er... is that a question? :rolleyes:

If it is this my backburner crusade army project. Multiple chapters involved. And those Red Scorps have mates, too. With a little investment I could have a 1000pts RS army, just for giggles. ;)

lol and here I was thinking theme was easy! if that was me I would take some old pre chaos heresy chapter. and do him up in that :P on the note of design and modifying.. stupidly stuck on what to do about these lions.. with some other guy doing a lion chapter blog in khaki *grumbles* ;)

doooooo a Scorps army :rolleyes:

doooooo a Scorps army :D

That'll happen - the Contemptor and the crusade army comes first though. THEN I'll crack on with 1000pts worth of Scorps. :tu:

Archived