Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raven Guard army

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
Hi folks,

Here is a showcase of my Raven Guard army. Tabletop quality nothing fancy. I'll hope you'll enjoy anyway. :D
You can click on the thumbnails to enlarge the pictures.

Captain, in Terminator suit and Power Armor, both armed with Storm Bolter and Power Sword

Posted Image

Terminator captain with some other termies.

Posted Image

Razorback

Posted Image

Posted Image

(can double as a Rhino)

Posted Image

Scout squad

Posted Image

Dreadnought

Posted Image

Assault squad

Posted Image

Brother Dakath

Brother Dakath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
Looking pretty good, those power weapons on the HQ are pretty slick looking ;)
QUOTE (AGPO @ Jun 20 2011, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, we're talking more badass than Liam Neeson riding into battle on the back of a liger, wearing a top hat whilst wielding excalibur in one hand and a flail made of live honey badgers in the other, to the tune of All Along the Watchtower.

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,375 posts
Very nice - the paintwork is clean and crisp. :tu:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Machinepriest

Machinepriest

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 283 posts
Cool beans!
Always love seeing nicely painted Raven Guard.
Really liking the pale fleshtones and battle damage.
The scouts are my favourites, and that's saying something as I usually don't like the Scout models.

Grimdarkness

Grimdarkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,163 posts
I was gonna say there not blood ravens then i reread your tittle. Silly me.

They look very good wish my TT was as good.
Excuse the spelling and grammar it's a product of a public education.

Meatman

Meatman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 913 posts
For tabletop quality, as you put it, this is superb. Nicely done :)
QUOTE (Something Wycked @ Sep 22 2011, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My ultimate point is this: play your opponent, play the board and the terrain, but don't game the system with cheap tricks

I love the Chapter Name Creator :D
Repentant Hippos
Stealth Turtles

My DIY chapter is so going to be one of these two :P

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
Thanks vm for your nice comments folks, I really appreciate.

I consider my paintjobs as tabletop quality when I'm too lazy to add some levels of details that would make the minis look way better. Such as, for example, decent basing (I'm happy you didn't notice or mention the scouts or tactical squad crappy basing). I could have add some camouflage to the scouts capes, but again too lazy. Same thing for the Rhino, some weathering and painted Raven symbols (rather than decals) might have make it look better, but again lazy me. Just to say I’m not 100% satisfying with my paintjob. But, hey, wait, never being satisfied, this is how Fulgrim started his path toward heresy :( :D

Some more pictures:
Landspeeder:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
As you might notice, I painted the multimelta fuel tanks as if they were optics, the idea was to portray them as some kind of big night vision optics, I thought it would be fun but again I'm not 100% satisfied with the result. What do you think? Should I leave them like that or paint them over with gun metal ?

Edited by plasman, 27 July 2011 - 07:10 AM.

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,913 posts
great models,really love the scouts (and that is way above tt standard :) )
as to the fuel tank optics...it looks great,but as stated my first reaction was "hey!! there supposed to be fuel cannisters not super scopes" :D but im getting used to it so really its either way...

Cheers, mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
Thanks your feedback :(

Isiah

Isiah

++ VENATUS EXSECRATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 12,473 posts
Brilliant black - what more can I say? Look great, love the markings on the chainswords, a great touch. Power weapons are win.

Cheers
I

gallery_4666_1311_36564.jpg

Keeper of the Dark Fortress

Armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights and a cheeky little Inquisitiorial detachment.
(I'd have more if my wife would let me)

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
Thanks for your comments guys.

Here is an additional picture, Chaplain (featuring Forge World shoulder pads) :

Posted Image

Captain Semper

Captain Semper

++ PROVOCATOR NAVUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 16,584 posts
Great stuff! I really like the use of a deep red for contrast in you Termies. Very unusual for Raven Guard...

A question though. The markings, the red shoulder rim does this indicate 3rd Comp. ? Or is it a nod to the old Index Astartes articles where red was a assault squad marking? There was some mix up even back then with the Raven Guard markings (well for me anyway...). I saw you have your Tacts wearing it too.

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts

Great stuff! I really like the use of a deep red for contrast in you Termies. Very unusual for Raven Guard...

A question though. The markings, the red shoulder rim does this indicate 3rd Comp. ? Or is it a nod to the old Index Astartes articles where red was a assault squad marking? There was some mix up even back then with the Raven Guard markings (well for me anyway...). I saw you have your Tacts wearing it too.

Yes, Raven Guard markings are open to countless and endless discussions. My take on that is the red shoulder trims are for the 3rd company. In the latest Space Marines Codex you have pictures of Raven Guards tactical marines with red shoulder trims. To me that the definite answer so far ( i.e. until guys at GW change their minds again :lol: ).

Edited by plasman, 29 July 2011 - 09:34 AM.

Captain Semper

Captain Semper

++ PROVOCATOR NAVUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 16,584 posts
True. The norm appears to be that the color of the shoulder trim is the Codex style marking. In fact since you mentioned C:SM there is a Raven Guard biker (normally assault marines, no?) with a green rim. I can only assume he was 4th Comp. The only "deviation" is that it is only the right shoulder pad that this code-colored, not bot as is the case of UMs.

Imperial Armour 8 has also some interesting depictions...

So cool army you got there, Keep it up! More Termies too! We don't see them often enough in Raven Guard armies!

VAGABOND

VAGABOND

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 723 posts
What colors did you use for the black armour, looks like Codex Grey but I could be wrong?
Ryan ''Point, Click, Kill'' Stevenson

Adeptus Custodes: Kicking heretic ass!
Purifiers: Kill it, kill it with fire!
Deathwing: 2+ 3++ is the new black
Necrons: French Liberation!

Best Dark Angels Player, Warhammer 40k Throne of Skulls GT, October 2011, Heat 1
Overall Winner, Warhammer 40k Intrepidations Tournament, November 2011
Best Army, Best Grey Knight Player, 2nd Position overall & 1st Place for Glasgow Team @ Warhammer 40k Border Skirmish, February 2012
2nd Place for Glasgow Team & 5th Position overall @ Chaos Of The Warp 2, March 2012

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts

True. The norm appears to be that the color of the shoulder trim is the Codex style marking. In fact since you mentioned C:SM there is a Raven Guard biker (normally assault marines, no?) with a green rim. I can only assume he was 4th Comp. The only "deviation" is that it is only the right shoulder pad that this code-colored, not bot as is the case of UMs.

I full agree with you.

So cool army you got there, Keep it up! More Termies too! We don't see them often enough in Raven Guard armies!

Thanks for this encouragement.
Actually I have 2 additional regular (storm bolter + power fist) Terminators and a Sergeant already painted. But I also plan to add some assault termies as well.

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts

What colors did you use for the black armour, looks like Codex Grey but I could be wrong?

Here is my method for speedpainting black armors, without using black paint (but washes).
You won’t win a Golden Demon with it but it might be a time-saver.

Prime and undercoat the mini in Charadon Granite.
Then (lightly) drybrush the upper surfaces/parts in Adeptus Battlegrey to achieve (some kind of) Zenithal lightning effect
Do the highlighting and lining in Space Wolve Grey or Astronomican Grey (both work fine)
Wash the armor with Badab Black
If you can do some additional highlighting with Codex Grey or skull white.

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
Chaplain:

Posted Image

Bewlay

Bewlay

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 262 posts
Really liking these guys, they are all fantastically painted

Also it's always good to see RG Termi's (They do exist :P )
Children of the Dark King http://www.bolterand...howtopic=219509

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
Tactical squad

Posted Image

BLOODSAINT

BLOODSAINT

++ ADMINISTRATUM REX ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 563 posts
Clean, sharp, well done. Love black marines! :P

:::YOU WILL FOLLOW MY PROGRESS:::
------=I=------

Hall of Honour      Works in Progress

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 6,631 posts
ooh, nice army!

Definitely going to link this page to a friend of mine who just started collecting Raven Guard! ;)
"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
Thanks for your nice comments. Will try to post more picts in the forthcoming days. :P

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
I order to give my RG army some flexibility I often use minis that can fill different positions

For example this guy can be used as a Captain, or to lead an Assault Squad or a Squad of Vanguard Veterans.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

plasman

plasman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
Bonus pictures ;) another tactical squad:

Posted Image

Posted Image