Dornian Heresy Unforgiven, previously a DIY DA Successor

So this thread is a continuation of a dieing thread within the Dark Angels sub-forum (linky in my sig), which I will update here from now on.

So first up, my hobby desk prior to Fridays mail,

gallery_48988_5384_191101.jpg

and after Fridays mail,

gallery_48988_5384_153394.jpg

I'm really excited about this build, however there is a few problems I need to address before the real work can begin.

1. A hole in the main body's side

gallery_48988_5384_1199955.jpg

2. This warped vent thingy

gallery_48988_5384_368816.jpg

3. This vent is messed up, unsure how to deal with it really....

gallery_48988_5384_289273.jpg

And no, that's not just flash, the detail is completely filled in...

4. Both of the legs are mis-alligned significantly,

gallery_48988_5384_1039608.jpg

also, there are small holes in almost every finger.

So thats the bad, whats the good?

Simple, just about everything else the detail is crisp and sharp, and a quick dry fit of parts revealed no need to modify anything, and it looks as if Forgeworld has designed it to take magnets with appropriate space to make magnetizing a dream. This may be old news now, but the arms are ambidexterous by design.

I've since ordered a couple of additional arms to convert some weapon varients, specifically TL Under/Over Heavy Bolters, and aMissile Launcher arm.

I think thats all for now, any and all comments and CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms are welcome in either thread,

Cheers,

Jono

Sucks about the miscastings, but I'm still jealous. I would like one of these very much. Depending on shipping times I might call them and ask for replacements. A little warping from shipping is expected, but holes, misalignments and filled in details begs for a replacement.

I'd probably be too jazzed about making it to take the time for that and make do, because I am impatient and impulsive and think it's a really cool model...

If the detail on the vent is not to badly filled in you could try to cut and scrape the fill out if it is to badly filled in a dremel motor tool could help in removing it (use a mask). If all else fails green stuff some scrolls or chapter icon on or about the vent area.

Just some ideas.

One thing I have noticed - are your shoulders missing from those pics? I only ask cos they never sent me any with my original order

*facepalm* I got so distracted by the repeater.....but seriouisly, I was dry fitting with the TLLC one I didn't notice.

On a brighter note FW is gunna replace all the dud parts, now I get to inform them of the missing shoulders :P

Cheers,

Jono

Olisredan: I am jealous, I wont deny it, any replacements will take an age to get to me here in OZ :)

So I've been thinking about background fluff for my Contemptor, and who he should be to warrant the use of such a rare and precious piece of tech. The more and more I thought about it, only one real choice presented itself, now before I say it hear me out....

Lion 'el Johnson

...... I know, I know, but as far as the Dornian Heresy timeline is concerned, it is not unprecedented that a Primarch is still mucking about in the 41st millenium, Magnus is roaming the Imperium, and pops up to lead the Sons occasionally.

So here's my thought pattern, in the Dark Angels section of the Dornian Heresy, Luther still turned to Chaos, the Lion still remained loyal, but, Luther went to ye' olde dropsite massacre and framed the Lion as a traitor, hence the loyalist Dark Angels became the hunted ones, known as The Unforgiven. At the battle of Caliban after Luther and the Lion had had it out and the planet was cracking up, the Lion fell through the an opening chasm in the planet. Then the Emperor wisked away the loyalists, doing his part to help out.

So I'm thinking the Emperor isn't going to wisk away the marines and leave the Lion behind, so I believe the Lion survived the destruction of Caliban, though still severely injured from the Chaos inhanced Luther.

So this is where I need help, is this an avenue I should go down, would a Primarch even be able/compatible with a dreadnaught?

I like the idea of modelling this, i could really go to town on ornamentation, but fluff wise I'm really unsure.

Any suggestions/ideas/criticisms, please help me out, I've got time as I need to wait (2 weeks probs) for replacements from Forgeworld.

Cheers,

Jono

So I posted my Primarch Dread question over in the Heresy forum and recieved the one response, to keep everyone up-to-date, I've included it here:

START:

A primarch in a Dreadnought...that would need to be one HELL of a dreadnought conversion, but I have to give you points for original thinking. Don't think anyone has ever come up with that idea before.

I guess the biggest question I have is how did he get in there. In the dornian heresy fluff, the unforgiven just sort of appear in a mostly chaotic pattern so did the Lion end up on a forge world some where which just happened to have an empty dreadnought lying around? And if so, who plugged him in and why? Doesn't the imperium think the DA went all traitor? I'm just saying, its a nice idea, but I want to hear more explanation and reasoning behind it.

I do definetly need to flesh out the story, but basics are as follows;

1. Primarch rescued from stasis in Mechanicus science/research facilty, Comtempter pattern dread stolen from same facllity.

2. Random, Imperium-wide, millenia-spaning series of tech thefts.

3. Lion el Jonson retakes leadership of Unforgiven in Contempter.

Modellng wise, it would be taller and as ornate as possible wihoutcluttering it.

:END

So since no-one seems to object to the idea, I started playing around with my Contempter, looking at different poses and Primarch suitable ornamentation. So this is the poses I have decided I'm going to use, and the ornamentation I'm thinking about, but need to see it on both sides together once I recieve my other shoulders from FW.

gallery_48988_5384_713231.jpg

Obviously, he is only tacked together and a little wonky, but it's enough for you guys to see what I'm going for.

I've seen alot of action orientated poses, I wanted to show the Lion has not lost any of his tactical ability from his internment into the Dread.

Please guys, any comments, criticisms, suggestions regarding the model or the fluffy-ness, are welcome and sought out.

Cheers,

Jono

thats very cool... gives it a more human feel to it.. or rather.. Astartes.. I could see this guy in my head standing outside of the sparring arena watching two battle brothers go at it

However you may get some very mixed views on your lore, as messing with Primarch stuff is basically like saying the emperor has been pulled from his throne and his head inserted into a warlord titan :lol: so very unsure on that, I would say personally do it more on a patriarch/chapter master from one of the second founding chapters to avoid direct breaking of lore but that said its your hobby and no one elses, so if you find a will and a way, make it so....mr sulu... :(

Khargan: Thanks for the feedback dude, I know what your saying about being it being a touchy subject, so thats why I've gone Dornian Heresy, there already is other Primarchs active within the Imperium, also, being that RB of the Ultras went rogue state, there was no codex introduced, so no breaking of the Legions. And since its really a what-if scenario based on a bigger what-if scenario, I'm ok with going for it.

Cheers,

Jono

I too have questions on the fluff. But firstly, i must say B) + :woot: for the posing and massive wing deal. Maybe put them on the back, with a cloak in between?

Secondly, a primarch probably would get a titan for his ride. I mean, even if he actually got disabled, which i don't see happening. Primarchs have been stabbed through the spine, literally swiss-cheesed by lightning claws, and shrugged it off. Anything powerful enough to disable them WILL kill them. Maybe somebody close to the Primarch, he would certainly deserve something like this. Johnson's equarry, or personal Champion. Somebody who saved the primarchs life, or emulated their deeds? Make them awseome, but i would err on the side of caution and stay away from named characters and primarchs especially.

But, at the end of the day, its your model, your army, hell, its your fictional universe. Just be careful where you tread... ;)

I too have questions on the fluff. But firstly, i must say :P + :P for the posing and massive wing deal. Maybe put them on the back, with a cloak in between?

Secondly, a primarch probably would get a titan for his ride. I mean, even if he actually got disabled, which i don't see happening. Primarchs have been stabbed through the spine, literally swiss-cheesed by lightning claws, and shrugged it off. Anything powerful enough to disable them WILL kill them. Maybe somebody close to the Primarch, he would certainly deserve something like this. Johnson's equarry, or personal Champion. Somebody who saved the primarchs life, or emulated their deeds? Make them awseome, but i would err on the side of caution and stay away from named characters and primarchs especially.

But, at the end of the day, its your model, your army, hell, its your fictional universe. Just be careful where you tread... ;)

Firstly, i really like the idea of a Primarch Titan...but...as far as the Dornian Heresy Unforgiven go, I think obtaining and deploying a Contempter dread is stretching their ability and luck, let alone stealing and being able to deploy a titan.

Secondly, concerning damaging a Primarch, in the DH fluff, it says he was unconcious when he fell through the cracking planet, I think i'ts quite feasable that one or more of his limbs were irrepairably damaged/lost.

I'm now thinking I could come up with a character description that strongly implies that it's The Lion within the dread, but never actually say it is, like in an after battle report Luther recognizes the armour styling of the dread being very similar to that of the Lions crusade armour. On that note, I'm about to go whip out my Heresy artbooks and find some Lion pics, for armour stylings.

Cheers,

Jono

Terminatorinhell: I don't think my GS skills are up to it, but it defineately would look awesome.

Concerning the detailing, those of you who've looked through the first half of this WIP in the DA Forum (linky in sig) will know I picked up this mini on ebay

gallery_48988_5384_128390.jpg

to use as my Lion el Jonson model. It is my intention to recreate alot of these armour details on the Contempter, while adding a few of my own details, like the shoulder wings. To that end, with the mini being equiped with sword/plasma, I'll be purchasing a Contempter Plasma when they're released and have created this sword arm

gallery_48988_5384_187557.jpg

gallery_48988_5384_738908.jpg

Also, I'm trying an alternate setup for the shoulder wings, being that they're swept back rather than forward, and the sword has relocated from the torso to the wing.

gallery_48988_5384_303248.jpg

Please guys let me know whatyou think, even if it's to dash my dreams upon the rocks :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jono

Wow, I want you to know that I fully support this idea of a primarch dreadnought, touchy subject or not. However, the pose you have there... I know its not finished but it doesn't look quite right to me; hand being on his hip and all. Kinda looks like's just, you know, hangin out at the local astartes bar. The sword is a really good idea.

Question: Was the Lion is still loyal to the Imperium in the DH? I was just wondering if you were going to keep the aquila on the front. Seems like he would have a big "Unforgiven DA" symbol right there.

Either way, definately want to see this completed! Keep it up!

Quick update,

firstly forgot to mention the sword hand is magnetized, allowing it to still be configured as the normal Contempter CCW

gallery_48988_5384_638232.jpg

So all I did was drill a whole deep enough for 2 magnets to sit flush with the inside base, then dug out the edges so the exterior (2nd) magnet wouldn't get stuck when pushed into the fist, then glued a magnet onto the stormbolter, no drill hole and pushed it into place so the magnet set in the right spot, and then repeated with the sword hand.

gallery_48988_5384_231808.jpg

And secondly, this is the setup I'm looking at for the Contempter's shin, it'll be symetrical on the other side.

gallery_48988_5384_412743.jpg

Cheers,

Jono

Hey guys, I'm still plugging away, and sadly there's no pics today, but

I've been working on my fluff for this Contempter Dread, this is the first piece of fluff that will accompany an, as yet unwritten second piece of fluff (from a Inquisitorial point of view), both of which will form the actual character description

enjoy...

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT !!!

The Herald of Vengeance

Captain Azazel took a knee and bowed before his Lord.

“You have returned quickly, Captain, I assume your mission was successful then? You have captured our two Unforgiven brothers?” came the question from the shadows.

“Not exactly, my Lord”, replied Captain Azazel, as he regained his feet.

“Explain....not exactly!!!” came the roar from the darkness.

“It was as last time, Lord, the first was gone, no trace. The second however, had aid. We....”, the Captain paused unsure how to continue, his own disbelief making things no easier. Silence from the shadows bade him continue. “were ambushed....there were more of our...loyal brothers....”

“Ambushed? By some agri-world country bumpkins?” sneered the voice, “Wait...more? HOW MANY MORE?” raged his Lord.

“At least six ranking brothers, Lord, but that is the least to be concerned about, there is something you need to see” continued Azazel, pulling a holo-slate from his robes, “ I captured this image as we withdrew.”

Taking the holo-slate, Lord Luther, Master of the Dark Angels Traitor Legion, watched as a massive outline strode through the wafting smoke-haze revealing a Contempter pattern Dreadnought, a shape he had not seen since the Crusade. The dreadnought was lavishly adorned in golden Legion symbols, largest of all, a roaring lion, emblazoned upon it's chest, it was armed with a gigantic sword and plasma cannon, swatting a traitor marines like a fly, it roared, “ I am the Herald of Vengeance, the honour of the Dark Angels Legion shall be restored! Each and every one of you know this, I come for you...”, the feed cut off suddenly as a blast of plasma flew by, perilously close to the view point.

“ Of the three squads sent, only five of us are unharmed, another three in sus-an, the rest are gone...”, began Azazel.

With a look Azazel had not seen in ten millennia, Luther stepped from the shadows, his face twisted by rage and fury, in a barely audible whisper, stated “You are dismissed, we will discuss this failure again.” As Azazel left the chamber, Luther examined the holo-slate again, the Contempter pattern dreadnought was not the only thing Luther had recognised, the adornments of the dreadnought echoed that of another set of armour he had not seen in 10,000 years....

END WALL OF TEXT!!!

So, still here? excellent !

So, it's still WIP and any and all comments, (constructive) criticisms, suggestions are welcome,

Cheers, and thanks for reading,

Jono

Archived