Sisters of Battle - 17Jan Retributors & Avenger update

I feel absolutely mad for starting a second WIP thread, but the White Dwarf codex has got me excited enough to start working on the Sisters of Battle and Ecclesiarchy models I have. The same 5 Sisters have been sitting on my shelf primed and ready to go for a long while now, but my lack of enthusiasm for a PDF codex combined with the shelves of Chaos Space Marines that I actually play with that need paint kept me from doing anything else with the Sisters.

But now that's changed, and this thread is the result of that.

I have a handful of random models I've acquired secondhand that have been sitting in a box in my closet forever now, and when I was looking through the new WD codex I remembered that Arch-Confessor Kyrinov was in there. I scrubbed the paint off of him and cleaned him up, but I couldn't find his big mace. I have a couple of boxes of Empire Flagellants laying about, so I pulled out a fist holding a big mace from there and added a skull to the bottom of it:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/arch-confessor-kyrinov-001.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/arch-confessor-kyrinov-002.jpg

I'm not sure how well it works, but I'm leaning toward being OK with it. Any comments on it would be appreciated before I prime it and start to paint. smile.gif

So I'm thinking my Sisters of Battle will be an Ordo Minoris. The established Ordos Majoris don't really stand out as being very different to me beyond paint schemes, none of which interest me by themselves. I was reading about the Segmentum Obscuris and the Halo Stars/Zone, and that made me think about the Missionaria Galaxia. So my idea is that these Sisters are part of an Ecclesiarchy expedition to bring the light of the Emperor to the furthest reaches of the galaxy, beyond even the Astronomicon. They're out there where the stars are few and far between, out on the ends of the spiral arms, way out amongst the wild and weird.

None of that really matters at this point, except that it gives me a reason to come up with my own paint scheme. I'm thinking this:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/sisters-yellow-scheme.jpg

Now I have to come up with a suitable name for the Order that ties into their running off to the very edge of the galaxy.

Looks good bro but i think the skull would look better if it was the other way around, with the haft connecting to where the spinal cord would be.

Most models have it that way because it looks more natural, if you prefer it the way it is fair play though. ;)

Ordo Lucerna Aurea, created to follow in the footsteps of the revered Saint Diogenes of Sinope IV, an Imperial mystic who led a mission into the Halo Stars. After desperate battles with strange and unholy forces, most of the mission returned, but the Confessor-Militant and a small group of the most faithful plunged on into the unknown. For many years after, his known planetary stops and final trajectory became sanctus exilio, a holy pilgrimage of no return that only the most zealous or penitent undertook. The Ordo Lucerna Aurea, or "Order of the Golden Lamp" in Low Gothic, was created to accompany an unusually large group of pilgrims undertaking this journey, and also to search for relics of the Saint presumed martyred in the Halo Zone.

The Sisters emblem is a stylized lamp contained with the Triumphant Sun symbol of the Ecclesiarchy, all in yellow and black. They travel the furthest reaches of the Galaxy protecting the pilgrims as they find them, and waging Wars of Faith beyond the borders of the Imperium.

Now that is out of the way, I can get down to the business of painting these things. I reckon, since no negative feedback about the arm and mace came in, I'm going to prime and paint this guy this weekend, probably have him done on Sunday night. Perhaps even start on the Sisters I have ready to go...

I finished the Arch-Confessor Kyrinov reclamation. It is highly likely that this mini was thrown at a wall at some point, but he's still good. I stripped all the paint off with acetone, washed him up with soap and water, primed him in the usual way, and had a go at painting him. I knew I wanted the colors to be predominately red, white, and black, but I didn't know how exactly I was going to do it. I started off with the upturned cuffs of the outer robe being white, with Space Wolf Grey trim around the stole. He looked like an angry Santa Claus, so I had to do something different. I switched the upturned cuffs to black and then painted over the stole trim with Shining Gold. Much more sinister looking, less like a jolly elf:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/arch-confessor-kyrinov-front.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/arch-confessor-kyrinov-rear.jpg

I also painted the first Sister of Battle for the Ordo Lucerna Aurea. A friend of mine suggested a colored primer. I use Krylon for primer, not any sort of fancy stuff, so I didn't know how a color would work. What would the finish be like? Would the coverage be adequate? Could I paint over it easily? Experiment time:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/sister-of-battle-wip-yellow-coat.jpg

So far so good. The finish was fine, and there were no grey spots showing through. Whenever I do a plastic model I inevitably have a thinner layer (or miss entirely) spots coming up from below. The old metal models don't have the dramatic undercuts that multi-part plastics do, so I didn't have any coverage issues. The finish was fine, too. All I needed to know after that was how well I could paint over it:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/sister-of-battle-front.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/sister-of-battle-rear.jpg

I think it works. Going to wash the next Sister in Devlan Mud instead of Badab Black to see if I can get her to look less grubby, but other than that I am reasonably satisfied with the result.

I decided to base this army for a winter battlefield. I used the same fine sand basing I am on my Chaos Space Marines, only I painted it Skull White and washed it with a very thinned out Asurmen Blue. I think it works, for the most part. It's easy to do, at any rate.

Looks good, maybe try Gryphonne Sepia instead of Devlan mud so it stops the grubbiness. But well done on Kyrinov :huh:

Vulkan

Thanks! I've been doing Chaos Space Marines up until this point, so being grubby looking wasn't a problem. The Sisters, however, need to look a little more radiant. Not perfect, as they are still on the battlefield, but maybe not like they just spent a few months sleeping in trenches either. I do need to get me some of that Gryphon Sepia, as I don't have any on hand to try.

Also, one of my more obscure interests is vexillology, which is the scientific study of flags. I really like flags, so I tend to design one for whatever miniature army I'm working on. Tonight I came up with a vexillum belli for the Ordo. Unfortunately I don't have the skill to paint this on the standard bearer model I have, but I still like to design them:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/ola-battle-flag.jpg

For my Icons of Tzeentch In my thousand sons army I used a technique you could well use with your flag here.

I printed some Tzeentch symbols (Enlarged from the decal sheet) and cut them out, Wet the paper and rinkled it, then spread it out under a watchful eye and hot lamp to dry.

Painted over this, then I attached it with a small bit of paper and some PVA glue to my paper clip banner pole.

I may have a pic somewhere hmmm.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/evileyeball/Tson005.jpg

For my Icons of Tzeentch In my thousand sons army I used a technique you could well use with your flag here.

Thanks for the idea, that is definitely worth thinking about. It hadn't really occurred to me to do it any other way than freehand. You've now got my gears turning...

For the flag, instead of printing it out on regular paper, print it on decal film instead. You can easily make a large flag from thin sheet plastic that you lay over some round objects(pens, brushes, etc) then heat with a hair dryer.

Once you have that wavy shape, apply a decal of the flag to each side and use a decal solvent like Micro Sol to soften the film and get it to fit all the curves of the flag. When that dries, you might add some shading/highlighting with some very thinned down paint, or even some weathering.

For the flag, instead of printing it out on regular paper, print it on decal film instead. You can easily make a large flag from thin sheet plastic that you lay over some round objects(pens, brushes, etc) then heat with a hair dryer.

Once you have that wavy shape, apply a decal of the flag to each side and use a decal solvent like Micro Sol to soften the film and get it to fit all the curves of the flag. When that dries, you might add some shading/highlighting with some very thinned down paint, or even some weathering.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting some of that decal printer paper and printing out the emblems to put over a red and black painted background. I'm pretty sure I can paint the two halves evenly, and if the printer transfer stuff is good then that would be the easy way to do it.

But after looking at the heraldry in the Order of Saint Gregory thread on the front page right now I kind of feel small for being daunted by one little flag project...

I want to get some of that decal paper or what not to put on some banners in my new DA force. I would like to eventually spread 14 banners/flags throughout the army. Each with Inspirational holy text relevant to the Dark angels with their aching lust... *wink* wink

but alas I dont know where to find it, so I may have to use the googles

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of an update for my Sisters, more in the line of proof that I'm actually working on them at all. With the second half of the WD Codex out I decided to take what models I had and make a basic 10 woman squad. I don't have the little-man-in-the-box-on-a-stick bearer, so I only have nine right now, but I will be getting an order off for their pole holder soon.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/sisters-squad-the-1st-001.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/sisters-squad-the-1st-002.jpg

I followed the suggestion to use Gryphonne Sepia wash, but on one of the girls I didn't notice I grabbed the wrong bottle of wash, so one of them is really dirty looking and I'm trying to figure out how to fix that without stripping her. It would have been OK if she had been the flamer holder, but there you go.

I think some of them are really bright because on about four of them I primed them with bright yellow spray paint, then went back over that with Citadel yellow. I think that might be the way to go to get the look I'm going for.

But base coating and doing the initial wash is as far as I got before I ran out of steam. But at least now I'll have a squad with some color on them for the game I intend to play this coming Saturday. It's going to be a proxy extravaganza, with me figuring out how my Sisters list before I buy any more metal and my friend proxying Dark Eldar (for what reason I don't know but I'm looking forward to it).

Awesome paintjob on the Arch-Confessor.

I was a bit sceptical about Battle Sisters in yellow armors, but eventualy the end result is great. :)

Thanks!

I took the plunge this morning and sent off for some more metal models from GW.

I'm getting St. Celestine and Uriah Jacobus for HQ (I already have two Cannonesses), A squad of Repentia, 1 Seraphim to bring me to a total of 5, 2 simulacrum pole holders so I can have one for each of my two troop choices, a Storm Bolter Sister (I have one already, and two flamer sisters, so that's two squads worth of specials), A power maul wielding sister superior, a dialogus, and a hospitallar. Oh, and two Immolators for my two squads to ride in. And two Crusaders.

I am a sucker, but I love the Sisters of Battle...

I haven't worked out the total points value, but I reckon that's a pretty basic set-up. I want to try a few proxy games and follow the discussions for a while in the sub forum here before I buy anymore special or heavy weapons.

(There needs to be a £ symbol in the post icons for when you've dropped enough money that it kind of bothers you...)

Been going kind of crazy lately, school and family life and all that. Didn't get nearly as much done this weekend as I wanted to, but I did get everybody but St. Celestine cleaned up and glued to bases. This is what my mail order from GW looked like when I got it last Thursday:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/box-o-sisters.jpg

That is a divine vision, right there! I've got two Immolater kits in there, plus I got my Space Marine Whirlwind launcher bits in. The idea is the two Immolaters will be able to switch out between Rhino, Immolater, and Exorcist. I reckon outside of the Ecclesiarchy Battle Conclave's Rhino the whole force will be built around these Immolater+ tanks, because really, they're not much more expensive than the Rhino and you get all the cool Ecclesiarchy stuff to put on them.

But I digress, this is what I got done tonight:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/sisters-wip-6sep11.jpg

Any suggestions for mounting the back pieces to Celestine, pinning or GS or whatever, feel free to share. I have this feeling that straight superglue won't be enough to hold this thing together...

Archived