Grey Knights 1750. on a winning streak.

Crynn

BATTLE REPORTS FURTHER DOWN

Ok guys, very unconventional but so far smashed a BA army which included Meph 9 DC with a chaplian and 10 assault terminators (In assault)

Downed Tyranids with swarmlord and body guard 6 hive guard 2 tervigons, tabled them even with what my opponent called "the worst rolling he's seen in a while"

Tabled Spacewolves, Logan, Njal, 2x 5 man Long fang units with 4 maybe 5? x missiles 1 long fang unit with 4x lascannon all with cyclone termie in each unit, unit of 8 wolf guard all with combi plasmas + 2 units of grey hunters with trimmings and rhinos.

Beat a triple pervening Fatecrusher list with 3 units of blood crushers, deamon princes all the jazz, it was hard on me as a foot list because pervening could dictate so much of my movemont which allowed him to string my guys out and charge 2 ends leaving many paladins unable to attack however with a banisher in a raider he still struggled.

And a tau list with 9 broad sides and 60 fire warriors, killed all his scoring units and then managed to live 7 turns going to ground against the broadsides of which I had no hope in hell of getting to alive.

These are all lists people are looking at taking to a no comp tournament.

So the actual list.

HQ

Grandmaster, psychotrokes, rad, blind, 2 x skull

Coteaz,

Elites

Venerable dreadnaught 2x twinlinked autocannons + psybolt ammo

10 x Paladins

3x halbard, 1x sword, 1x hammer, 1x banner, psycannon halbard, psycannon hammer, psycannon sword, mastercrafted psycannon halbard.

Troops

10x strike knights 2x psycannon

Henchmen Warband, 5 x Death cult assassin, 1x mystic, 1x banisher

Heavy Support

Land Raider.

1750pts on the dot.

Comments and critiques always welcome.

Regards,

Crynn

I would say that you need more troops, I guess the GM can always be used to make the paladins scoring though. I also think that only having 2 units with an AV is not going to work sure both are fairly durable, but I just see them getting killed/stopped early on and then the rest of your army getting shot up.

Thanks for the replys guys. I'll try to explain a little how the army works and how I have found success with it.

I would say that you need more troops, I guess the GM can always be used to make the paladins scoring though. I also think that only having 2 units with an AV is not going to work sure both are fairly durable, but I just see them getting killed/stopped early on and then the rest of your army getting shot up.

With troops I generally find I have more than enough. Even a minimum role on grand stratergy gives me 10 scoring paladins that because I am not relying on draigo a lib and or apothacary to keep them alive I can happily split into 2 units if needs be, I have 10 strike knights that can split and a unit of haenchmen in a land raider, so at bare minimum i have 27 scoring bodies 10 of which are paladins. if I roll a 3+ on grand strategy (more than likely) I also gain a scoring venerable dreadnaught so most games I play with six scoring units.

Now I agree that I am low on vehicles however I do not use the land raider to go head long into enemy melta, The land raider and dread stay back and a lot of the time are out of range of many anti tank weapons, the dread also hides behind the land raider so it cant be seen by weapons that can hurt it and shoots at units on the enemies flank, both of them just kill enemy transports. I downed a 14 lance dark eldar list withou loosing 1 of those vehicles and there was no good rolling involved. Against things like space wolf missile launcher spam, they physically can't kill the land raider and thus the dread either due to line of site giving me the ability to pick apart all of their transports before my paladins come down and literally shoot a unit off the board. Remember the only things that can hurt my vehicles are str 9 or more (lance as well) so much of the time I find myself almost immune to long range anti tank, 4 lascannons for instace won't do anything.

Once the paladins come down I can push forward, if they want to kill the vehicles then they are weapons that are not shooting at my paladins as they both require the exact same weapons to kill.

How is coteaz working for you? Im only asking because i have no experience with him and whenever i see a cotez list its usually henchman spam. Does the "i've been expecting you" power really hurt those deep striking blood angels?

Coteaz is amazing. I would love to take a librarian however he is far more expensive, doesnt allow me some cheap very effective troops is hurt badly by psychic defence (although works as good psychic defence too) and doesnt come with coteaz's two special rules both which are brilliant. The most important powers a lib has is sanctuary and shrouding, coteaz still has sanctuary which means my paladins do not even take a wound when charged by anything if it doesn't have grenades. He also has dark ex which combined with my banisher means I psyically can't loose to demons as they cannot open the land raider at range.

My GM means that my paladins and strike squad arive on a 3+ on turn two and can land behind the land raider or within six of it with no scatter thanks to the mystic. The flanks of the board have a skull probe as well so I can deep strike there with safety. This gives the army alot of flexibility that a standard draigowing army does not have.

Coteaz's two special abilities are also amazing. Spy network is just too good. I can effectively deploy KNOWING that I will not have the iniative stolen from me which is invaluable. Also I have a 30% chance to steal the initiative verses an emeny so they have to take that into account when they deploy! A space wolf player found out the hard way when i stole the initiative off him and my dread poked out from behind my land raider, both units shot and grounded 2 units of grey hunters making 2 of his largest scoring units vulnerable and having to walk to objectives.

I've been expecting you is also fun, when I play demons, drop pods, DoA armies I deploy the paladins and place coteaz in the unit and from there its just a joke, if any unit deep strikes within 12" or accidentally scatters within that range it gets hit by 12 psycannon shots 4 master crafted psycannon shots 5 storm bolters, a strength 5 large blast and d6 str 4 shots. Not one unit has survived yet so all these armies are automatically on the back foot before turn 1. A tyranid army outflanked gene stealers into coteaz and and 10 strike knights in a 2 objective mission, he wanted to charge, he arrives get shot by a 10 man unit gets numberd down to around 6 or 7 from 15 genestealers, charges coteaz he uses sanctuary, 1 dies through dangerous terrain, they go to initiative 1 and i kill the other 5 or 6 before they attack meaning he lost an entire unit in his own turn without causing a single wound to my unit. Coteaz = amazing. Allowing access to the death cult unit and mystic so my paladins have perfect deepstrike is also amazing as the DCAs means the land raider and the paladins are both close combat threat.

Hope that helps a bit mate.

Regards,

Crynn

BATTLE REPORT 1

So I played 2 games against dark eldar this weekend with this list. Dark eldar are one of those armies that give draigo wing a hard time, now whilst I don't play draigowing similarities can be drawn so I was eager to find out how these games would play out

GAME 1

Dark Eldar

Remembering list,

The Baron

Unit of hellions (I think 9)

Harmonculi

2x ravager, night shields

1x void raven, nigth shields

1x raider full unit of witches night shields

1x raider foull unit of warriors night shields

2x venom with 3 trueborn with 3 blasters

2x venom with 2 x wracks i think 5 guys each.

1x raider with night shields with 6 incubi

So essentially quite a few dark lances and blasters, this would be a good test for my paladins

MISSION

5 objectives, dawn of war. I placed first objective in the middle, my opponent then one in a far corner, i put another in-between the first 2, my opponent placed another in a far corner I placed the last one near the other 3 that wer placed before leaving 4 out of 5 objectives very close together. (Most people stuff up objective placement, my opponent actually had no way of stopping me from getting 4/5 very close together)

I won the roll off and decided to go first, and there is a good reason for that.

We both deployed everything off the board I put my paladins in reserve with the strike knights, The grandmaster coteaz and the DCAs in the land raider. Grand Stratergy makes the paladins and Ven dread scoring.

He tried to seize and got it, coteaz made him re-roll it and thus he failed to steal. (going first means you get the first round of shooting as turn 1 there is Night fight and thus no one can see but turn 2 that goes and I get first round of shooting.

Grey Knights Turn 1:

My landraider moves 12" up the middle of the board behind some terrain to get a cover save. The dread naught moves 6 behind then runs 4 to hide itsefl completely from line of site. End turn.

Dark Eldar Turn 1:

My opponent turbo boosts all raiders and venoms onto the board with the ravagers moving 12 inches behind them then trying to spot the land raider but failing to see it through night fighting.

Grey Knights Turn 2:

I roll for reserves: 3 for the paladins 4 for the strike squad. Grand Master uses psychic communion and the 3 for the paladins becomes a 4 and both units arrive. I use the mystic within the land raider to bring down five strike knights with 3 storm bolters and two psycannons just within range of a venom, the other five come down using a skull on the far flank near the obective.

The Paladins split into 2 units, each with 2 psycannons and use the servo skull up the board to deep strike accuartely within range of his army and in terrain, after all terrain checks are made for both units, 1 paladin is wounded, The land raider moves up 6 inches (within 12 of both paladin units) and the Ven dread steps out from behind the raider and gets ready to fire.

Shooting: It gets messy.

Having thability to counter the dark eldars fast movent through accurate and timely deepstrike I dont find my paladins taking 20+ lances before they get into range.

Paladin unit one shoots into the first ravager which has cover due to the turbo boosted raiders in the way, none the less the 2 psycannons bring the paper plane down, the second ravager fares no better to the second paladin unit and paper plane 2 drops down. The mighty ven dread checks his range against the night shielded vid raven, finding itself within range it procedes to stun it and immobilze it, the land raider opts to split fire at the raiders of the witches and the the warriors (by chioce leaving the incubi) with cover saves only the witch one is stunned.

They grey knight unit with 2 psycannons takes aim at the closest trueborn venom and levels it killing 2 truborn in the process, the unit holds. The shooting ends 2ith 3 paper planes down and another 2 stunned, A fine tun of shooting with just normal rolls.

Dark eldar Turn 2:

Seeing that 1 raider is stunned and the void raven is imobilized and stunned my opponent realizes that running aways and trying to come back for the objectives later won't work as I have easily more ranged fire power now and have 10 paladins close to 4 of the 5 objectives with 5 grey knights on the other side of the board holding the other he decides he has to make a go for it and kill some paladins. The 2 units of waracks turbo boost away from the fight in their venom though. His full round of shooting sees a couple of paladins drop a wound and 1 die to a blaster ( I took off the hammer) I also passed 3/4 cover saves from str 8 ap 2 so i should have lost one more pali, lucky me.

Combat:

He charges the weaker paladin unit with the incubi and the witches which left their raider and fleeted towards them, however only about 5 witches get in as coteaz casts santucary meaning difficult terrain slows them and dangerous kills two, the incubi in their raider easily make combat and take no wounds from the dangerous terrain (also baron fails to make range as he was to one side of the paper planes last turn and the paladins deepstruck on the other about 12" away) My opponents finds himself at i1 from terrain. meaning my four paladins attack first 3 halbards and a sword. I succesfully cast hammerhand and with my 8 attacks kil 3 incubi and 1 witch (i had to attack the witch because she was in base to base with one of my pallies) the 3 remaining incubi strike back hitting on 4's wounding on 4's and causeing only 1 wound in the end to a halbard after the sword paladin defelects the attack, the witches needing 4's to wound (combat drugs gave them +1 str) far worse allowing me my 2+ save do nothing. I win combat by 3 and break both units, he get some really good distance and I am unable to consol within 6 of the witches but the incubi move a measily 6 allowing me to keep within range to stop the regroup.

Grey knight turn 3

The land raider moves up 6" and pivots to face the fleeing venoms, as does the ven dread. Both units of paladins move up through terrain as do the 5 strike knights with the psycannons. the grand master leaves the land raider and joins the weak pali unit, coteaz the stronger one. Shooting from the ven knocks down a venom full of wracks the land raider takes down the other. The full paladin unit removes the void raven once and for all, the strike squad with psycannons takes down another venom with trueborn killing none the other paladin unit shoots the barons unit which with its 3+ cover saves and FnP due to the hamonculi starting in the unit shrugs off all the fire.

Combat: I keep the DCA's inside the land raider as they literally arent needed and offer a nice big threat range of assault, also there is so much area terrain from fallen dark eldar boats or terrain that they will be i1 in combat if they come out. The paladins with the GM charge the fleeing witches and the barons unit. The psychotrokes bring the witches to Ld, 2 (crap result really) however put the barons units to 1 attack each and allow me to auto hit them. All my attacks go on the barons unit except for 1 paladin who attacks the witches. The barons unit with 1 attack each do no wounds, the witches do 1 wound and the agonizer does another. Return damage see's my pallies put out 4 attacks each thanks to the banner in the unit alllowing me to kill all 8 or 9 hellions and the baron who fails one of his 5 shadow field saves with the banner also allowing an auto force weapon pass sees him removed. no witches die however loosing combat by 9 and being Ld 2 sees them run of the board.

The game is called here as the Dark eldar only have 1 raider remaining some warriors and wracks with no transports. In turn I have only lost 1 paladin and hold every objective.

Game 1: Grey Knights Victory 5:0 objectives

Hope you enjoyed guys.

2nd Battle Report coming.

BATTLE REPORT 2

This is the second game against dark eldar and unfortunately this guy whitnessed the first and clued on to how the list plays.

MISSION:

Kill Points, well that makes things easy with me only having 7 and my opponent having around 15

Deployment was quaters which a rather like.

His list was almost the same as the first guys however he lost the Baron and friends for a tanked up archon with the incubi, had a third ravager instead of a void raven and another unit ow witches with a succubus and a phantasm grenade launcher in it.

DEPLOYMENT:

He won the role off and went second deciding to go all in reserve so I didnt deep strike in on him taking his boats out on the way down. my skulls were place on the flanks half way up the board.

Grand stat = 1 crap, pallies reroll 1's to wound

I deployed with the land raider full of DCAs coteaz and the GM inside as well with the dreadnaught next to him all neetly tucked away in a corner

He Gets FnP for his combat drugs

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 1

I literally did nothing. The wind blew and a hey bail rolled passed. Epic.....

DARK ELDAR TURN 1

Another hey bail...

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 2

I rolled for deep strike. 2 on the Paladins and 5 for the strikes. Both coteaz and the GM used psychic communion turning the strike knights 5 into a 3... nothing comes down.

The land raider moves just enough to allow the dreadnaught to slot in behind it and pops smoke. Many hey bails... (Coteaz does not have psychic communion, a really bad mistake by me which I will be sure to remember in all future battles, appologies all)

DARK ELDAR TURN 2

My opponent rolled for reserves and did pretty well with the incubi a unit of witches a larger squad of trueborn in a venom, 2 ravagers and a wrack unit arriving.

Realizing that My paladins were still going to get the drop on his army he decided that he had to kill some stuff, by stuff the only think he could see was the land raider.

All units with Lances moved towards the raider the vonoms came on and provided them with cover by turbo boosting infront of them.

I couldn't stop the lances from being out of range however what I did manage to do was force him to put all his boats on one side of the table to be in range of my raider, this was part of a cunning plan (in my head I thought it was cunning). Dark lance shots filled the air about 5 out of the 8 hitting the raider 2 pens and a glance. From smoke I save 1 pen. The reuslting dmg is a stunned from the glance and a weapon destroyed from the pen which removed a las cannon. As expect lances aren't as effective as people make them out to be. Notice that rolling is close to average.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 3

Reserves, I roll a 3 and a 3 meaning no need for psychic communion.

The paladins stay as one mob and land about 15 or so inches infront of the mob of dark eldar skimmers. The Stike knights land to one side of the paladins closer towards the middle of the board unlike the paladins out of cover. 2 paladins take wounds from landing in terrain 2 from 5! Damn.

The land raider turns around moving 6 inches forward the dread also moves 6 inches forward and a little to the side to see one of the ravagers

The Grand Master exits the the raider and joins the paladins.

Shooting:

Not being in combat squads somewhat limits my shooting, the ten man paladin unit takes down a ravager, the dread naught another and the land raider shakes the third with its twin linked las and twin linked heavy bolter the strike knights destroy the witch raider killing 6 witches in the process and causing the unit to be pinned.

DAEK ELDAR TURN 3

He resolves for reserves and gets everything but the last unit of trueborn. Realizing he has very little lances left and even if he kills both vehicles he will still be down on KPs I decides he has to kill the paladins, why I do not know but at this point he cant shoot my vehicles without staying in range of the paladins so he has to try something.

Movement: Everything jumps out of their boats which all take aim at the pallies including the raiders themselves, their is a lot of poison shooting which without an apoc hurts. He is smart and firess all the str 8 first and kills 2 hammer palies the rapid fire from all the venoms and warriors + anything else takes 4 wounds off random termies and one of the GM.

Assault:

I cast Sanctuary, it goes off.

the second unit of witches charges in with the succubus, they loose 1 model on the way in but have grenades so are not i1. the incubi and the lord charge in as well. Psychoctroke grenades roll a 1 for the witches, which sucks and a 6 for the incubi which also sucks, their high initiative means none fail their forced intiative test or attacks themselves.

The witches and go first bling grenades see the agonzier in the unit do no wounds after saves but loose 2 to the succubus with the agonizer the witches also put our a bunch of attacks finishing off two of the wounded pallies and injuring another even through the blind grenades. The pallies strike back butting all possible attacks on the incubi killing all of them. The lord makes his shadow field saves at i6 but looses it to an attack from the banner, but thanks to rad grenades it isnta kills him anyway, lol. The GM kill a witch.

The Pallies win combat by 4 and send the witches running and consolidate up 5" towards the dark eldar boats.

KP: GK 5 DE 0

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 4

Movement: I move towards him 6" with everything except the strike knights which stand still, DCA with coteaz disembark within charge range of the 6 trueborn blaster unit... not much else to say here.

Shooting: The pallies dont shoot wanting to multi charge instead and don't want to remove models thus forcing a failed charge. Ven dread downs the last ravager Land raider stuns a venom with its heavy bolter and weapon destroys a raiders lance. strike knights shoot down another venom killing 3 wracks in the explosion!

Combat: The paladins multi charge 2 raiders, a venom and the last witch unit that was previously pinned. Going to strength 6 from 2 hammer hands they down both raiders but not the venom (needed 6's to hit all the vehicles) and killed 7 witches. Psychotrokes allowing me to re-roll hits against the witches helped as did the auto hit on on of the raiders.

The Game was called here as the KPs were GK 10 to DE 0. Unless the Grey Knights got tabled which was highly unlikely the dark eldar were not ables to claw back a victory.

I will be having more games with this list over the coming weeks and will be sure to post up some more battles.

Regards,

Crynn

Good pick guys, it's only the standard inquisitors that gets it when upgraded, while it only effected one game that is still a big deal. I wonder how that mistake was made, very unlike me on rules so thank you for pointing that out, thank god these games were all test games for a no comp tournament so I didn't accidentally win a game which really mattered! I will be playing another game with the list tonight I will see how it goes and I can do reserves based list without him! I don't think it would have changed the battle where his power was used it was just too much of a white wash.

Regards

Crynn

Whilst we're on the subject, I believe the use of Pyschic Communion comes before you make the roll for reserves. Not game changing by any means, but you are giving yourself an advantage to avoid Perils of the Warp by rolling 1st, especially against Eldar.

Have been enjoying this thread though, it's a formiddable list you have there and you clearly know how to use it!

Just out of interest, how do you normally fair against gun lines? Noticed you did lose against Imperial Guard. They get me too; just standing there shooting away really puts the pain on my list!

Whilst we're on the subject, I believe the use of Pyschic Communion comes before you make the roll for reserves. Not game changing by any means, but you are giving yourself an advantage to avoid Perils of the Warp by rolling 1st, especially against Eldar.

Have been enjoying this thread though, it's a formiddable list you have there and you clearly know how to use it!

Just out of interest, how do you normally fair against gun lines? Noticed you did lose against Imperial Guard. They get me too; just standing there shooting away really puts the pain on my list!

After my coteaz mistake hopefully i can still stand with some authority if ever I had any haha. No Psychic communion is definately rolled after the reserve rolls are made which is brilliant. It means you can avoid perils and wasting a psychic power if it's not needed.

So far so good in games but there has been no loss to guard amte, I think you must have got it mixed with something else mainly because I haven't played against any yet! Guard are one army I am quite worried about depending on what they field, If it's a lot of melta vets and huge nfantry blobs I will be a bit worried expecially if they have the unit which puts back my reserve rolls by 1. Other than that I think I shall do ok against them, we will just have to see.

Gun lines in general are ok, Generally I see missile launcher spam and I either then run behind my land raider which is pretty much uneffected by str 8 or less or I deepstrike my paladins using the mystic when they arive infront of the land raider, pile a bunch of shots into something and get ready for a charge with the DCAs in tow which means my paladins are only exposed for one turn.

The two closest lists to gun line I have versed to gun line was wolves with 3 units of long fangs all with missiles except for one unit with 2 lascannons. He also had Njal and logan who both went with the lascannons, logan used tank hunter and made the missiles str 9 and the lascannons str 10! the land raider popped a rhino turn 1 and managed to get cover to live to turn two when the paladins and strikes came down and took out a lot of long fangs meaning the land raider was relatively safe. We traided shots then for about 2 rounds but the war on attrition was heavier on his units. turn 5 I charged in to mop up. The other was tau with 9 broadsides and 60 fire warriors on foot each unit with a marker drone with an etherial in one of the broadside units at the back to make them all fearless, hes done well with it. It was multiple objectives. Obviously the land raider died quickly but with shooting and multicharges I managed to kill all his scoring units so he couldnt win by turn 5 and then went to ground for 2 tuns untill the game ended on turn 7 where he had almost tabled me as I didnt target the braodsides, 9 of them would just remove my pallies if I left cover. Still held 4 of 5 objectives.

I have another Bat Rep I will right up tomorrow against I heavy Assault based blood angels list.

Regards,

Crynn

Wings of Sanguinius is also rolled at the 'start of the movement phase' however it is rolled after reserves are done. I believe reserves are rolled before anything else in the movement phase.

After checking the rulebook they are both done at the start of the movement phase however every psychic power done at the start of the movement phase is done after reserve rolls so at worst you could (like combat or when moving) as it is your turn decide the sequence of things that happen simultaniously.

Regards,

Crynn

@Game 1. It was my understanding that units placed in reserves cannot be combat squaded, meaning your strikers and Paladins would have had to come down as 10man units rather than 2 5man units... Ala Space Marine FAQ.

This would have had a major impact on the results of the games, as it would have hampered your maneuverability and ability to control certain areas of the board. Not to mention minimizing targets in your shooting phase.

BATTLE REPORT 3

Ok guys next battle report from last night. I will have another one coming soon as well.

Opponents Army

BLOOD ANGELS

HQ

Mephistomp

Elites:

Corbulo

10 x Assault Terminators, 6 x TH/SS 4x LCs

Troops:

10 x Assault marines, 2 meltas, 1 powerfist

10 x Assault marines, 2 meltas, 1 powerfist

10 x Assault marines, 2 flamers, 1 powerfist

Heavy Support:

Predator, Autocannon, 2x Lascannon

Predator, Autocannon, 2x Lascannon

I worked out later but his list totalled 1780 I believe, but not to worry.

MISSION: Drawhammer (Two objectives)

I won the role off and decided to go first as one quater had a piece of terrain which blocked LOS and I didn't want to be unable to shoot at him for a turn.

Grand Stratergy roll = 6. I made the paladins and the ven dread scoring.

Skulls went on two raised bits of terrain on eaither flank of the board as is rather standard for me.

I deployed my objective right on the edge of my quaters deployment zone on the back of long edge of the board. This was because I decided to deploy everything and deepstrike as he was predominantly a close combat army so I wanted to shoot him up as he came in and I knew my casualties would be minimal to my shooting.

I deployed my land raider on my objectivive also against the long edge of the board with the ven dread too one side of it using the raider for cover. I deployed my paladins in front of my land raider giving more cover to the dread and split the strike squads into 2 units of 5 which went on either side of the land raider to prevent in DoA attacks. The unit with the 2 psycannons deployed on the side of the raider closest to the enemy. DCAs coteaz and GM inside the raider.

He deploys his whole army as close as possible with the terminators making a nice wall of cover for the assault marines. Corbulo deploys with the terminators and is in range of all the assault squads and Meph who is in the middle of the sea of red. His two predators deploy in his far corner using a building for cover. His objective was in the middle of his quater knowing that if some of his assault marines survived the inevitable assault he would be able to go back for it.

Black Rage - The flamer assault unit becomes fearless and gains furious charge.

Stealing the initiative - he rolls a 5 as a joke a force him to re-roll it using coteaz's ability even though I do actually want the first turn. He rolls another 5 and we laugh. To business.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 1

Movement phase:

Facing against a combat army is probably one of my armies strength so I having deployed everything I had some things to do first turn. My paladins shuffled forward to get into range of the terminators the land raider moved up 6 inches behind. The strike squad to the left of the land raider mvoed through difficult terrain to get closer to the paladins to support them next turn. The dread also moved up 6 inches to try and get into range of the closest pred.

Shooting phase: The ven dread checks range against lcosest pred and is in range by an inch a full volley sees 1 pen and 2 glances on the pred, he saves then pen and thus only finds himself stunned. the land raider opens up 2 twin lascannons and the terminators killing a TH/SS one. The Mighty Paladins unload a full volley of shots into the termies but even with 16 ppicannon shots only down 1 TH/SS termie due to 2+ and FnP. The strike squad with the psycannons fires but all the shots bounce. Turn over.

BLOOD ANGELS TURN 1

Movement & Shooting:

Everything infantry or jump pack equipped goes forward max distance possible and each unit takes a run move, he rolls reasonably well. Meph successfully casts wings and jumps forward as well. He strings a few assault marines back using his run move to make sure all still ahve acces to FnP. The pred that isnt stunned moves forward 6 inches and fires on the paladins. Lucky me his lascannons fudge their rolls and but an autocannon hits home causing a wound to the sword weilding paladin.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 2

Movement:

I shuffle 6 inches backwards with everything except for the paladins who move back only 4 trying to bait a charge. Almost all units are back to where they started from to try and stay out of charge range of most of his units knowing it will require a combined attack to beat the paladins in CC. The GM jumps out of the raider and joins the paladins.

Shooting:

I literally unload everything into the closest assault squad and kil 1 measily guy, i rolled pretty average. The pred shoots the pred which is out of cover only stunning it and the land raider kills another terminator this time one with LCs. Not my finest turn but to be expected against FnP Marines.

BLOOD ANGELS TURN 2

Movement:

Taking what i would call bait my opponents sees that he can get into charge range with 2 assault squads and Meph though it will be through cover in most cases. The assault marines bound forward leaving one squad with 4 inch charge and the other within 5 Meph passes his wings and lands about 7 inches away. The other assult squad runs behind the first two and along with the terminators make a run move leaving them close but behind the front line of his troops, cobulo left the termiantors and joined the furthest back assault squad.

Shooting:

One pread fires this time a las cannon wound hits home I take it on the TH pali who is the closest model to one of the assault squad in charge range,he dies leaving one assault requiring a 6 to make combat. The assault squads fire their 2 meltas each and knowing I will be charged I go to ground (If he does charge then he will just get assaulted by deathcults and loose a unit of precious assault marines) I take 2 melta wounds and a few bolt pistol ones. a fail both 3++ cover saves and loose a halbard and a psycannon halbard, the banner bearer and a hammer psycannon also take another wound. So far my saves have been terrible. Meph rolls a 5 for his run almost certainly securing combat.

Assault:

Coteaz casts Sanctuary only to be nulled by Mephs hood. The furthest assault squad fails to make combat needing a 6 the closest one makes combat as does Meph. The grand master consols into the assault squad as does every paladin that can except the remaing hammer who goes for Meph, trying to win combat by getting the easy wounds as Meph isn't fearless. Psychotrokes force Meph to i1 (lol) and make the assault squad Ld 2 (almost useless).

Mephiston Hits Str 10 and gets off unleashed rage for rerolls to hit as does the grand masters hammer hands. 2 Halbards attack Meph with a total of six attacks, they hit 3 times wounding on 4's thanks to hammerhands + rad grenades and do a single wound. The paladins pass their psychic test to force weapon Meph who tries to use his hood, I roll a 5 he rolls a 2. Using hes corbulo reroll he rerolls his hood trying to save Meph however needing a 5 of course he only rolls a 4 and Meph is removed. (Very lucky, staistically a hood with a reroll at Ld 10 against Ld 9 has a very high chance to null the power), I am now in a very strong position even after me bad saves. The 2 remaing halbards kill 4 assault marines, the grandmaster another 3. His i5 attacks (was in corbulos bubble range) bounce. However my sword attacks and hammer attack manage to all miss! the banner kills none as well. His powerfist strikes with only 2 attacks thanks two blind grenades, only a single wound is dealt which a sword weilding paladin deflects on a roll of a 4. I win combat by 12! and the assault marines break.

I roll a 1 for consol

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 3

I roll a 6 and a 4 for move through cover on my paladins moving forward to setup a multi charge on the two units of assault marines. the psy cannon grey knights stay put and the other unit walks ove to my objective. the Landraider creeps 6 inches forward, I could ahve charged the termies with the death cults but they wer in cover so i would be i1 and at this point there is no need to take risks. the dread sits on my objective along with a strike knight unit.

Shooting:

The dread once again only stuns a predator while the land raider immobilzes the other. I shoot my paladins and strike knights at the fearless assault squad as they cant fall back removeing my ability to multi assault and kill 2.

Combat:

I succesfully multicharge both assault squads with my paladins and cobs is foced into combat. psychotrokes roll a 2 for corbs unit! and a 5 for the other assault unit, reroll hits. The grand amster casts hammerhands. Corbs is in base contact with a halbard and with 4 attacks auto hitting that wound on 2's is easily removed other attacks that auto hit remove his entire assault squad, the other assault squad with rerolls to hit is removed bar the fist who again does one wound which is deleced by the sword, in turn is killed by the hammer. I consol 3 inches up and am now past the his termies.

BLOOD ANGELS TURN 3

Movement:

The terminators do the only thing they can do and setup a charge on the pallies, his assault squad falls back further as it is range of the paladins.

Shooting:

Shooting sees the non stunned pread kill the 1 wound sword weilding paladin, finally.

Combat:

The terminators charge The grnadmaster finds a LC to attack as he was sneakily surrounded by the paladins during my consol moves not allowing his hammers to hit him. But it doesnt matter as the psychotrokes again roll a 2 and he is reduced to 1 attack with my auto hitting. The GM once again cast hammer hands and he finds that only 2 TH termies remain to attack. each one hits but only 1 wounds and the psycannon sword dies trying to parry it. I win combat by 4 or 5 but needless to say the terminators run. I consol 5 behind the termies who ran 9

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 4

Movement:

The paldins walk up almost in range of his obective, my strikes with psy cannons move up towards the middle of the board, the land raider moves forward 6" deploying the DcA with coteaz in charge range of the termies.

Shooting:

The land rider takes aim at the imobilzed pred killing it the ven destroys the other. The paladins the target the fleeing assault marines finishing off the remaining 3.

Combat:

The DCA charge the termies, coteaz successfully casts hammerhands and the 2 assault termies take 20 WS 6 i6 str 5 power weapons attacks, need I finish the sentence?

Game ended here as my opponent was completely tabled for the grand loss of 4 Paladins. I must say this game wasn't really won through any tactical genious, just psychotrokes with some good rolls and paladins making a mockery of assault units.

Hopefully next game will be closer and I will have another battle report for you soon guys.

Regards,

Crynn

@Game 1. It was my understanding that units placed in reserves cannot be combat squaded, meaning your strikers and Paladins would have had to come down as 10man units rather than 2 5man units... Ala Space Marine FAQ.

This would have had a major impact on the results of the games, as it would have hampered your maneuverability and ability to control certain areas of the board. Not to mention minimizing targets in your shooting phase.

Please re-read the FAQ, units arriving via deepstrike can combat squad when they arrive. It is a common mistake people make however the FAQ does state this however unlclearly it is written mate.

Regards,

Crynn

This is all I could find im sorry...

Q: Can you take a Drop Pod with a 10-man squad and

then put a combat squad in it, deploying the other

combat squad on the table, or leave it in reserve but

not in the Drop Pod? (p69)

A: No, because SQUADS THAT ARE PLACED IN RESERVE

MAY NOT BREAK DOWN INTO COMBAT SQUADS.

No, that is saying you can't combat squad a unit and deploy HALF in reserve and half on the table. The next part of the FAQ clarifies combat squading when ariving from reserves. Note how in the question it asks if you can deploy a combat squad in the pod and another on the table. You can definately deep strike and combat squad when you do so as deep striking is done when the unit is deployed.

Regards,

Crynn

I honestly cannot find anything else on there. Could you provide a link to your source perhaps.

Note how in the question it asks if you can deploy a combat squad in the pod and another on the table.

It also says "or leave it in reserve or not in the drop pod"

You can definately deep strike and combat squad when you do so as deep striking is done when the unit is deployed.

Choosing to place a unit in reserve IS their deployment. Deployment is the phase before first turn begins, I believe you are getting "arrives from reserve" confused with "deployment."

I dont mean to argue with you, as I have seen it played that way around alot, but I just cant justify it being legal when it clearly states SQUADS THAT ARE PLACED IN RESERVE MAY NOT BREAK DOWN INTO COMBAT SQUADS.

I guess you could argue that my information is coming from the space marine FAQ, and has absolutely nothing to do with Grey Knights ^_^

I honestly cannot find anything else on there. Could you provide a link to your source perhaps.

Note how in the question it asks if you can deploy a combat squad in the pod and another on the table.

It also says "or leave it in reserve or not in the drop pod"

You can definately deep strike and combat squad when you do so as deep striking is done when the unit is deployed.

Choosing to place a unit in reserve IS their deployment. Deployment is the phase before first turn begins, I believe you are getting "arrives from reserve" confused with "deployment."

I dont mean to argue with you, as I have seen it played that way around alot, but I just cant justify it being legal when it clearly states SQUADS THAT ARE PLACED IN RESERVE MAY NOT BREAK DOWN INTO COMBAT SQUADS.

I guess you could argue that my information is coming from the space marine FAQ, and has absolutely nothing to do with Grey Knights ^_^

No it isn't specifically onyl for SM but that doesnt matter it actuall says you arrive from deserves but 'deploy from deepstrike' I'm looking for the FAQ at but it is common knowledge that SM and varients can combat squad when deepstriking, there is a thread on it on this forum. I am 100% sure of this.

I just checked then, unit splaced in reserve do not count as deployed during the deployment phase they are left in reserved and become 'deployed' as per the rule book when they arrive from reserve.

If you have anymore on this take it to the rules forum mate as I really am after people reviews of the battle reports and their opinions of my army and how it could be improved.

Regards,

Crynn

When meph rerolled 4 for the hood shouldn't that be enough to nullify the power? Meph LD 10 and paladins LD 9.

unfortunately a psychic hood has to beat the other persons roll + leadership. A roll of a 4 only equalled the palladins with ld 9 and a roll of a 5

regards,

Crynn

Wings of Sanguinius is also rolled at the 'start of the movement phase' however it is rolled after reserves are done. I believe reserves are rolled before anything else in the movement phase.

After checking the rulebook they are both done at the start of the movement phase however every psychic power done at the start of the movement phase is done after reserve rolls so at worst you could (like combat or when moving) as it is your turn decide the sequence of things that happen simultaniously.

No wings is used "In the Librarians movement phase and lasts for the rest of the turn"

in addition Reserves are rolled

" At the start... before any units are moved"

so it is unclear at best, but there is not rule that states that psychic powers are used after rolling reserves. The only instance I can think of are Eldar Psychic powers which are rolled prior to reserves, so I would argue that Psy Com, is also prior to rolling for reserves, as if you have rolled for reserves it is no longer the start of the phase, and reserve rolls only state that they must be made prior to movement.

No wings is used "In the Librarians movement phase and lasts for the rest of the turn"

in addition Reserves are rolled

" At the start... before any units are moved"

so it is unclear at best, but there is not rule that states that psychic powers are used after rolling reserves. The only instance I can think of are Eldar Psychic powers which are rolled prior to reserves, so I would argue that Psy Com, is also prior to rolling for reserves, as if you have rolled for reserves it is no longer the start of the phase, and reserve rolls only state that they must be made prior to movement.

did you just miss the part where I said please take it to a rules forum? Well let me repeat that as I would like to discuss things other than this one rule in this thread. Please take this to a rules forum.

In response at worst they are done at the same time as they are both at the start of the movement phase, and because it is is my movement phase I pick the order thing happen in just like with movement shooting and combat even though it is all meant to happen simultaniously. If your counter argument is 'it is no longer the begining of your movement phase' then as soon as I've rolled for one unit that it is on reserve it is technically not the start of my movement phase either so is it just that I don't get to roll for my other units in reserve? How does eldrad cast fortune twice when it's at the start of the turn, he casts it once and now it's nonlinger the start of the turn. So if anything happens at the same time in my turn I pick which to do first as it is well, my turn. Anyway rules forum mate, that's the place to discuss this if you disagree with me.

Regards

Crynn

Archived