Grey Knights 1750. on a winning streak.

Crynn

And how will you know to check there to make sure you got it right (which you don't)...Thread about power

Well by RAW I am not incorrect, as things that happen simultaniously are done in order the player chooses to do them, ie psychic powers, moving, combat for example. You may say RAI it isn't correct but RAW both the psychic test and the reserve rolls are made at the exactly the same time so I am not wrong I am merely playing closer to the rules as written than you do. If not i'll be sure to tell the next person who roles for reserves on one unit that he cannot roll for anymore because it is no longer the start of his movement phase.

Anyway, thanks for the link, I will keep up to date on it though I check the rules forum regularly anyway. Now can you please just post somewhere else so this thread can get back to what it was supposed to be about?

Regards,

Crynn

Wow, those Paladins really are tough! They chewed through an entire army!

I am quite concerned I might be meeting them soon enough!

It is very unsettling that sinking half of your army into one single 10 man unit can table nearly every army you face. Looks like a growing trend in the "point and shoot" style armies.

Wow, those Paladins really are tough! They chewed through an entire army!

I am quite concerned I might be meeting them soon enough!

It is very unsettling that sinking half of your army into one single 10 man unit can table nearly every army you face. Looks like a growing trend in the "point and shoot" style armies.

I think this has similarities too mephiston. While he is a good unit, when he first hit the table, people were finding him nearly unstopable. Now all good players now how to deal with him, it doesn't make him a bad unit, people just know how to bring him down.

I would also like to think that my generalmanship has had something to do with my wins, I am not just putting these paladins on the board and walking them up the centre. There is deepstrike tactics, combat sqauds, multiple charges using dca's to link combats, slingshotting the paladins in to combat using coteaz and the grand master, trying to outshoot armies even with 10 cc based paladins and no draigo. I have had also had excellent success with my blood Angels which are not point and click, so I am really doing no better with the paladins than with my bangles.

Maybe it is the army however I beat draigowing convincingly when I played it, it definately has glaring weaknesses.

Regards

Crynn

I would also like to think that my generalmanship has had something o do with my wins, I am not just putting these paladins on the board and walking them up the centre. There is deepstrike tactics, combat sqauds, multiple charges using dca's to link combats, slingshottig the paladins in to combat using coteaz and the grand master, tryig to outhoot armies even with 10 cc based paladins and no draigo. I have had also had excellent success with my bloo Angela which are not point and click, so I am really doing no better with the paladins than with my bangles.

Maybe it is the army however I beat draigowing convincingly when I played it, it definately has glaring weaknesses.

Regards

Crynn

My apologies, it was a cheap dig at paladins (and GW in general). It was not called for, and was not at all an attempt to insult or degrade you, or your play style or tactics.

I would also like to think that my generalmanship has had something o do with my wins, I am not just putting these paladins on the board and walking them up the centre. There is deepstrike tactics, combat sqauds, multiple charges using dca's to link combats, slingshottig the paladins in to combat using coteaz and the grand master, tryig to outhoot armies even with 10 cc based paladins and no draigo. I have had also had excellent success with my bloo Angela which are not point and click, so I am really doing no better with the paladins than with my bangles.

Regards

Crynn

My apologies, it was a cheap dig at paladins (and GW in general). It was not called for, and was not at all an attempt to insult or degrade you, or your play style or tactics.

Me too! :)

Still, my army is still a little nervous facing them. It's Draigo combined with the Halberds which hurt my army the most, since the best way to kill them for me should be instant killing a few and counter charging them with Honour Guard (for mutual destruction). Unfortunately the wound allocation rules make this almost impossible!

I must find a way!

Still, my army is still a little nervous facing them. It's Draigo combined with the Halberds which hurt my army the most, since the best way to kill them for me should be instant killing a few and counter charging them with Honour Guard (for mutual destruction). Unfortunately the wound allocation rules make this almost impossible!

I must find a way!

And the fact that they have multiple I6 models that will just destroy anything without an invul :S

Most effective way to deal with them in combat would be TH+SS terminators, as much as it pains me to say it. But they are boring enough all ready :P

You are a big fan of your lascannons, are you not, Idaho? I do believe with the Draigo list outbust we have, that they will become much more viable.

Regards

Crynn

My gosh! I'm sorry I didn't think you were having a dig, my apologies for making you feel like you need to apologise. I didn't take offense to what you said and I know it wasnt meant that way although these days you have to cover all your bases as people can get pissy and whingy very quickly on these forums. Absolutely no offense taken bro. One of my biggest gripes is people who are too sensitive on these forums. I am not one of them.

I just wanted to point out that I think people will learn to get around paladins with a bit more time, also without the addition of draigo in my list I feel the army is a little less point and click as every successful wound from a melta gun, lascannon etc, removes one of my precious paladins, I also don't have a librarian for those precious 3+ cover saves.

Regards,

Crynn

BATTLE REPORT 4

Ok guys played another game last night, it's been a while since I've had a chance to hit the board with my models, I've been busy painting my dread and landraider.

The army I was facing was actually a type of list I feared my paladins wouldn't be a good matchup for, not only that the player was a regular tournament goer with a decent reputation. I had personally never faced him at a tournament we always would just miss running up against each other. Any how, to the battle.

GREY KNIGHTS Vs GREY KNIGHTS

His List

Crowe

10 x Purifiers 5 x halbard 4x psycannon 1 x justicar with hammer psy bolt ammo

10x strike knights, 2 psycannons, 1 xhammer psy bolt ammo

Dreadnaught with 2x twinlinked auto cannons ans psybolt ammo

Dreadnaught with Plasma cannon.

1750pts

My worrys were that my paladins would not be able to combat 30 purifiers + the rest of the army as if he ever got the charge off I would be I1 and he would even with my grenades make some dents in my paladins with his force weapons. With shooting he has just over twice my firepower but without as much resilience, I wasn't sure exactly how I would go about it. We rolled up the mission and deployment.

MISSION

4 Objectives

Dawn of war (my least favourite)

I will write the actually battle report tommorow as randomly my friends car just got torched! He needs a hand as he is in the process of moving house. However, I would really like to hear your initial impressions of how you see my list faring against such a list. What would you guys do in my position? Do you feel my list is a good or bad match up to my opponents and What would be your approach to trying to scrape a win together?

I'm really looking forward to your thoughts guys. I will get the battle report up soon!

Regards,

Crynn

So the actual Battle

BATTLE REPORT 4

The army I was facing was actually a type of list I feared my paladins wouldn't be a good matchup for, not only that the player was a regular tournament goer with a decent reputation. I had personally never faced him at a tournament we always would just miss running up against each other. Any how, to the battle.

GREY KNIGHTS Vs GREY KNIGHTS

His List

Crowe

10x strike knights, 2 psycannons, 1 xhammer psy bolt ammo

Dreadnaught with Plasma cannon.

1750pts

MISSION

4 Objectives

Dawn of war (my least favourite)

First I placed my two skulls in the middle of the board on each flank as I normally do. I found two pieces of terrain that had points around 8 inches high so I put my skulls up there so passing units wouldn't remove them.

I won the roll to place objectives and placed my first one in the dead centre of the table, he then placed one as close to a corner as possible and I placed another right in between the two slightly more towards the centre. The fourth he placed in the far corner away from the others.

So 3 objectives in one area and 1 far away, this is usually the way the objectives pan out on the board.

I roll for grand stratergy and roll a 6. I choose to make the paladins and the Venerable dreadnaught scoring I had no 3rd unit to make scoring. My scoring units then ended being 10x paladins 10 x strike knights 1 x henchman unit and a ven dread. Not bad really.

We rolled for first turn, he rolled a 3 and I a 1. He gave me first turn as it was objectives and I deployed everything off the board no deepstrike and decided I would take the side with the two objectives (with one of those objectives being reasonably close to the one in the middle) leaving him free to take the objective at the back on the opposite side of the board. He deployed 2 full units of ten purifiers opting not to combat squad them (to provide many ablative wounds for the psycannons and keeping them strong for combat) on the board about 18 inches up the centre in a piece of terrain. everything else off the board and the strikes in deepstrike. He decided not to try and steal the initiative.

Im going to call my list paladins and his purifiers for ease of reading.

PALADINS TURN 1

I decide the only way I am going to win this is by picking apart each unit 1 by 1. With that in mind a come on from the corner with the most objectives instead of straight up the guts as my opponent later told me he expected. the land raider moved 12 on and the paladins just moved 6 and ran 3. The strike knights came on in two different combat squads, the one with the 2 psycannons moved 5" then 4" into cover the other ran only 1" into the same piece of terrain as the first. The dreadnaught walked in behind the landraider. Both coteaz and the grandmaster came in with the assasins. Because of night fighting there was no shooting.

PURIFIERS TURN 1

He moves all 3 dreadnaughts on the board behind line of site blocking terrain (clever). The last purifier unit ran up the same flank as my army taking a run move to set up their psycannons in range of the land raider. Crowe runs up with the dreadnaughts out of line of site. Again no shooting due to night fight.

PALADINS TURN 2

Movement:

I move my paldins just into range of the first purifier unit just back from the centre of the board. I don't move into cover as it would have potentially slowed my unit instead I leave some lingering behind with 3 inches of terrain between them and my opponents forces. I move the land raider 6 inches towards the right edge of the board and a little back out of his purifiers psycannon range even if they move up again and can now see one of his psyfleman dreads. The 2 strike units continue their advance through terrain to get roughly in line with the paladins, the back squad doesn't move far enough to be in range. My ven dread then moves up behind my paladins using them for cover.

Shooting:

I check my ranges from my paladins to the closest purifier unit and am in range with 6 of them, though I put the psycannons at the front so they are all in range. A full show of fire power lays down 11 wounds and 1 rend. each model takes one wound except the justicar who takes the rend + anothor wound and fails one of the saves. 2 halbards go down but all 4 psycannons pass their saves, damn I want them dead. I then use my 5 strike knights that were in range (the 5 man with the psycannons) to whittle down the unit more, this time killing 2 more halbards and a psycannon. Finally the ven dread fires at them causing 4 wounds and killing the unit off down to 1 lonely psycannon. My land raider fires at the psyfleman it can see but both lascannons fail to pen or or glance. The strike squad that was out of range ran only 1 inch through the terrain. I was happy with this turn as I had effectively eliminated a squad and the return fire would be minimal as he would have to move into range loosing precious psycannon shots.

PURIFIERS TURN 2

Movement:

He rolls for reserves but the strikes do not arrive.

All 3 dreads move out from behind terrain, the plamsa cannon one retains its cove save though with just the cannon poking around the side. both purifier units are forced to move up to get into range though DC proves annoying allowing only 3 inches of movement for the purifiers near cthe centre. Crowe runs through terrain still out of line of site.

Shooting:

The first purifier unit near the centre opens up however 4 storm bolters are not in range of my paladins. after shooting a rending shot causes a wound to a halbard bearing palliy and I fail one save on the bare hammer pally. The second purifer unit finds 3/4 psycannons in range again but only a few storm bolters in range and fails to get past the pallies 2+ save. The plasma cannon dread fires esentially getting a hit with only a 4 inch scatter causeing 3 wounds I fail 2 leaving a sword wounded and a psycannon halbard wounded.

Both his psyfleman dreads fire into my ven dread causing a total of 2 glances and a pen once my 4+ cover saves were made, he rolled well. However all dmg was relegated to stunned.

While I took some wounds the intial damage was nothing as no paladins had dropped.

PALADINS TURN 3

Movement:

The paladins at the back move up but the front ones just spread out to avoid the plasmacannon shots, I move no closer but no further back as next turn I will have to move up to start getting the other 2 objectives that are up for grabs. One objective has his middle unit of purifers all over it.

I know the landraider has only about a 50% chance to survive the 4 psycannons in the purifier unit on the flank even with smoke however I run it down the board towards them and pop smok knowing with my shooting I should take down a few psycannons first putting the odds in my favour. The psycannon strike squad remains stationary the other 5 man joins the dread on the back objective stringing itself up towards the front of the paladins in a long line to avoid the plasma cannon. The dread passes it's fortitude test and moves just 2 inches forward to retain cover from the paladins but still be in range of the back objective.

Shooting:

My ven dread targets his psyfleman dread out of cover scoring 2 pens but only stunning and immobilizing it. Bad result no real dmg caused there. The palains open up on the purifier unit within range of the land raider and cause 12 wound and 2 rends. All this fire sees the knight of flame go down and all but 1 of the halbards however he again passes all 4 armour saves on the psycannons. 8 from 8 saves agaisnt the pallies shooting is annoying. The two strike squads open up at the purifer squad in the middle removing 3 halbards but not casuing enough wounds on the purifers to force saves on the psycannons.

PURIFIERS TURN 3

Movement:

The strike knights arrive from deepstrike. They combat squad with 5 landing on the far objective and 5 with 2 psycannons and the justicar try a risky deepstrike behind the dreadnaught and paladins. There is about 10 inchest between the pallies and my board edge and the side board edge. Damn I forgot to cast warp quake which would have made the deepstrike area even smaller however it's still a small gap. He rolls a 9 inch backwards scatter misshapping and killing the 5 strikes. Who knows maybe they just went to join Draigo?

Both purifier units remain stationary wanting to maxamize their psycannon effectiveness. The plasma cannon dread moves towards the land raider the immobilized and stunned one passes it's fortitude and the other stays where it is.

Shooting:

He goes for the landraider with the 6 remaining purifiers on the same flank. The psycannons hit home with 2 pens and a glance, my trusty smoke launchers only remove the glance, unlucky. He rolls for the two pens and gets a weapon destroyed and a stunned! Fantastic two results I couldn't care less about! His two psyfleman dreads fire at my ven and again with the venerable staus and cover saves only manage to stun it. The centre purifier unit opens up on the paladins causing another 2 wounds to unwounded paladins, one from a rend. The plasma cannon fires again hitting two and causing the halbard paladin on one wound to die, first dead model. The psycannon sword passes his 5+ invuln. At this point I can see the game is there to be had.

PALADINS TURN 4

Movement:

Now is the time to push for objectives, the paldins move up 6" now getting onto the objective between the one I already hold and the centre one, the land raider moves up ready to unleash its contents all over the expecting purifiers on the flank and both strike units and the ven dread remain where they are. The DCAs with coteaz and the GM exit the landraider and get ready to charge.

Shooting:

A full round of shooting from the paladins causes 14 wounds and 2 rends on the middle psycannon squad. His saves are excellent and he manages again to pass all four saves on the psycannons (12/12) a few drop leaving just a halbard with them. My ven dread shoots the immobilizied dread stunning it again and blowing off an arm. the GM and coteaz shoot into the purifiers on the flank the storm bolter bounces and coteaz's bird does what it should against power armoured marines, nothing. My two strike units shoot the purifers in the centre though not all of the strike are in range and remove just one psycannon. the land raider shoots its remaing twin las into the other psyfleman but misses.

Combat:

The DCA charge the purifers and because of coteaz and the GMs psych-out grenades reduce the purifiers initiative to 1. I roll a 6 for psychotrokes I tell him not bother with the initiative checks as the squad will most probably be whiped before they can attack. He gets off purifying flame causeing 3 wounds. The GM takes one and pases his save, as does coteaz however the banisher burns up in the purifiers holy fires. My GM casts hammerhands successfully allowing with the help of rad grenades the DCA to wound on 2's and the remaining 6 purifers are whiped out before even the GM can strike. I only consolidate 2 inches, spreding out to avoid the plsama cannon return fire.

PURIFIERS TURN 4

Movement:

My opponent can see the game slipping and now wants to fight for a draw and thus moves his remaing purifer unit back off the objetive but out of charge range of the paladins next turn, he manages to completely hide the unit from site behind the piece of terrain hoping to jump out at the end of turn 5 to contest the objective. Crowe moves up the centre towards the paladins still out of line of site and both remaining dreads move towards the DCA unit to hold them up.

Shooting:

Seeing that paldins are not going to be shot to death he avoids them and unloads his one armed psyfleman dread into the psycannon strike unit, some bad saves see 2 strikes perish. The purifiers are hidden but some can still see the strikes, the shooting beings them down to just 1 psycannpn. The plasma cannon fires hitting 4 models in the DCA unit the GM deflects his wound and a DCA nimbly avoids the shot however the mystic isn't so lucky. I remind him about his storm bolter however both shots miss. My strike knight passes his leadership test and holds strong.

Combat:

Both remaing dreads attempt to charge the DCA unit however coteaz casts sanctuary causing each dread to take both difficult and dengerous terrain checks. the plamsa cannon dread rolls a 3 and a 5 to make combat but rolls a 1 on the dangerous terrain check immobilizing itself! the psyfleman makes combat though. the dread is i1 one however so is my only hammer. Both characters successfully cast hammer hand making coteaz str 10, I roll a 6 for psychotrokes but the dread passes his initiative check. The dread hits coteaz but the attacks bounces off his glittering artificer armour though even with 3 attacks and a master crafted weapon coteaz misses being thrown off by one of the dreadnaughts autocannon arms smashing into his chest piece. Combat is drawn.

PALADINS TURN 5

Movement:

My paldins move up towards the centre objective needing just a 2 on the run roll to reach it. I leave a few stragglers way behind so that if crowe charges I will not be pulled off the objective the paladins already hold. The lone strike knight with the psycannon moves towards the objective the paladins already hold. The land raider drives 12 inches accross the board passing its dangerous terrain check as it hits terrain blocking the plasmacannon dreads view of the paladins.

Shooting:

The paladins run and roll a 1! typical haha. It is very close and hard to tell if they are in range of the middle objective, I recon they are just out my opponent just in. the strikes cant see anything to shoot, the land raider fires its lascannon into the plasma dread but the shot does nothing. My ven dread shoots the one armed psyfleman dread scoring 2 pens and a glance killing it through another weapon detroyed result and immobilized.

Combat:

the psyfleman dread buts coteaz again and causes a wound. Both coteaz and the GM had passed hammerhands and in revenge coteaz at str 10 smahses one of the dreads arms, rendering it useless.

PURIFIERS TURN 5

Movement:

As predicted the purifiers run out to contest/control the middle objective and crowe runs towards the paladins and the objective that they stil control.

Shooting:

Shooting sees the purifers finish off the lone psycannon as they decide the paladins are just an immovable force. the dread with plasma cannons cant see anything to shoot so it shoots the rader hoping for a big scatter onto the pallies. Instead the raiders hull absorbs the plasma cannon hit its armour proving to strong for even the mighty weapon.

Assault:

Crowe charges the paladins and may even be close enough to contest the obective that paldins were holding. with the 6 inch consol into combat my paldins move towards him however my stragglers insure that many models are still left in range of the objective between the centre one and the one my ven dread and strike knights still hold. In a desperate attempt to win the game crowe uses purifying flame to no effect after saves and adopts a defensive stance. The paladins full rain of blows however sees crowe not even survive long enough for the hammers to attack. I roll a 4 for consol and spreading out hands me my objective back and putting me definitiley in range of the middle objective.

The combat with coteaz and the dread see coteaz finish of the dread in combat consoling 3" towards the plsama dread.

If the game ended here the Paldins would have 2 objectives to the purifiers 1.

game end roll is a 4 and the game continues.

PALADINS TURN 6

Movement

The paladins move up stringing a long line between the two objectives they already had. Coteaz and the GM run behind the plasma dread the DCAs make a perfect circle for no apparant reason I just decided they want to play ring-a-ring-a-rosie and my remaing strike squad leaves the back objective moving forward to the one the back paladins still hold.

Shooting.

The paladins open up on the purifers killing the remainig few, the strikes roll a 5 for their run helping sucure the objective that paldins have that is in-between the other 2 I already have. Coteaz and the GM shoot into the back of the dread causing a weapon destroyed removing the fist and get ready to charge it for no good reason however the land raider spoils the fun scoring its first penetrating hit with its reming twin linked lascannon turning the dread into a smoldering wreck.

The game is called with only 5 strike knights on the other side of the table left alive for my opponent.

Paladins hold 3 objectives Purifies 1. Solid outcome.

I must say I was very surprised at the outcome of this game as the paladins only dropped a single model with another 4 or 5 on a single wound. 5 strike knights a banisher and the mystic were killed but everything else was left standing. The ven dread just absorbed fire and even with horrible rolling eventually killed a psyfleman. The DCA with the help of psych-out grenades whiped some purifers and the paldins systematically shot the rest of the army off the board with the help of the strike knights. Looking back it is easy to work out why.

By playing it smart and by only engaging one unit of purifiers at a time forcing others to constantly move into range the paldins were able to use the fact they had relentless psycannons to keep there guns at full effeciveness whilst the purifers could not. Each paldin is 4 times as tough as a purifier to basic shooting and using wound allocation meant I didnt have to loose models to the first few rounds of fire. The purifiers however suffered huge losses through each round of fire and thus suffered from diminishing returns with their fire power being lessened every time allowing the paladins to just out shoot them. A scoring Ven Dread meant that I could leave the back objective alone and not really have to commit troops to it if I didn't want to where as my opponent had to sacrifice 5 strikes with psybolt ammo to his back objective taking their guns out of the game. The land raider did it's job and also took a whole round of fire from a unit of purifeiers off the paladins, then delieverd a killer strike. I think people need to learn how to use raiders to block line of site and to learn to bide their time, rushing at the enemy with one is rarely the best tactic, I very rarely use it that way instead it generally moves with the paldins providing them cover and support. All up I was very impressed with how the army performed and I feel this shows a level of flexibility that maybe a standard draigowing army may not possess. All up both myself and my opponent were surprised at just how 1 sided the game became by about turn 3.

I hope you enjoyed the report guys, comments and critique are always welcome.

Regards,

Crynn

BATTLE REPORT 5

GREY KNIGHT VS LOGAN WING

His army

HQ

Logan

Njal

Troops

Wolf guard unit

10 x terminators

Upgrades

1x thunderhammer

1x thunderhammer storm shield

2x frost blade storm shield

2x cyclone missile launcher

Arjac

Wolf guard unit

10 x terminators

Upgrades

1x thunderhammer

1x thunderhammer storm shield

2x frost blade storm shield

2x cyclone missile launcher

Fast attack

Land speeder with 2x MM

Heavy Support

Vindicator

MISSION

3 objectives

Spearhead

I place my two skulls half way up the table 12" in from each short board edge.

We roll to place objectives he rolls a 6 I roll a 5. He places the first objective in one of the corners, I place the second objective in the same quater 12" more towards the centre from the last one and he places the third near both the others 12" from the long table edge making a perfect triangle with the 3 onjectives. Well we know where the fight will be.

We roll for deployment I roll a 3 he rolls a 1.

Great I pick the quater with all the objectives obviously taking the first turn.

DEPLOYMENT

Grand Stratergy roll is a 4 allowing me to make the paladins and ven dread scoring.

My side is full of terrain which sucks for my raider, I park it next to a ruin so that it gets cover but still has some good firing lines down the board. The Ven dreadnaught I deploy next to the land raider which puts it out of line of site of anything he deploys. The paladins do not combat squad and form a reasonably spread line about 3" inches back from my curved centre deployment line, the one that keeps you 12" from the centre. The strikes combat squad with two psy cannons deploying in a piece of terrain on the opposite side of the land raider than the dreadnaught which is about 9" up from my long board edge. The other 5 with the justicar deploy on my flank up just behind my paladins to get cover.

His deployment sees the wolf guard deployed as two main 10 man units side by side deployed as far up as possible, the speeder and the vindi manage to find complete LOS blocking terrain which is a ruin just behind all the wolfguard. Logan is with Arjac. Njal is in the other unit.

Roll for seize 4

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 1

Movement:

Ok so I'm sitting on the objectives great, but I have a vindi that will shoot next turn that i cant physically get a shot off at. I spread all my pallies 2 inches apart in a giant conga line allowing him a maximum of two hits if he rolls well. The land raider just pivots to face logans unit with all its weapons, the dread uses a couple of terminators and a small bit of ruin to gain a cover save whilst still having perfect shooting lanes against logans unit. The strikes with 5 storm bolters move up into range of logans unit, the other unit of strikes stays where it is as I figure the psycannons are in range of Njals unit.

Shooting:

First things first, the paladins open up on logans unit, I roll rather bad and cause 11 wounds with no rends, through allocation I kill a thunder hammer and land a wound on Logan. The dread fires on logans unti dealing 3 wounds, but all are saved. The strikes behind the pallies fire their storm bolters into logans unit killing a standard wolf guard.

The bottom psycannon unit finds 2 of its psycannons and 1 storm bolter in range of Njals unit but with 6 wounds and no rends, all the shots bounce off their hulking armour.

An average turn a bit sub par in the shooting with no rends but nothing too worrying.

LOGAN WING TURN 1

Movement:

He does the only thing he can do when I have all the objectives. He moves 6 inches forward with all his wolf guard. The land speeder flys out from behing cover landing behind another piece near the centre of the board. The vindicator uses its seige shield to plow through the ruins it was hiding behind to line up a clear shot at the Palladins.

Shooting:

The Vindicator fires after lining up its shot. He squares up and puts the template down but can only cover 2 paladins thanks to spreading them out. he rolls a direct hit and two wounds. I get cover as he is firing through all his own terminators but fail both saves removing the sword and hammer paladins. Not a great start. Logan and his unit unload their own payload in revenge to their fallen comrad causing 3 wounds and 3 instant death wounds from the missiles. one missile gibs a halbard paladin whilst a storm bolter wounds the banner bearer. The paladins are really feeling the heat. Njal rolls a 2 for his ability thus the storm just swells with no real effect, he then attempts to cast murderous hurricane on the paladins but a roll of a 7 sees the him fail from reinfoced aegis from the dreadnaught.

The second Wolf Guard unit opens fire causing another 4 wound from a missile. and another paladin with a halbard falls.

My paladins have to take a moral check for 25% casualties. I roll a 10 damn. However only flee 3".

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 2

Movement:

A pretty horrible turn 1 so I feel I have to make a dent in these Wolf Guard Terminators. The paladins regroup 3" towards Njals unit then move a full 6" being just in charge range of the closest model however the paladins are so spread that not all will make combat on the charge. The Landraider successfully passes its difficult terrain check and rolls up behind the Paladins with the GM stepping out to join the paladins. The dread moves onto the corner most objective lining up its huge cannons at the landspeeder hiding behind the centre piece of terrain ready to smoke my land raider next turn. Both strike units remain stationary readying their weapons.

Shooting

The paladins have a tough choice they can shoot Njal's unit of wolf guard but risk killing the one cyclone terminator they are in charge range of, as such they decide to lower their weapons in preperation for a devastating charge! The Ven Dread lines up its guns at the land speeder penetrating its light chassis twice with the cover providing no safety against its aim exploding in a 6" fire ball hiting a total of 11 wolf guard between the two units. However I roll poor and fail to wound even 1. The storm bolter strike unit once again fires into logans unit killing another generic wolf guard, the psycannon unit unloads causing 3 wounds and a rend, however once again the wolfguard shrug off the shots, their massive armour proving indominable. The land raider fires a lascannon into Logans unit but one of his guard blocks the shot with his shield.

Combat

The paladins having lowered their guns charge into combat, Njal and his bodyguard consolidate up but fail their counter attack roll. The psychotroke roll is highly anticipated and lucky for him I roll a 4 and reduce him to Ld 2, pretty useless. The grandmaster successfully casts hammerhand only to have Njal null it, the paladins attempt the same psychic ability with greater success with Njal rolling a 2 for his hood. Combat sees 3 halbards strike with 12 attacks total and thanks to rad grenades and one hammerhands wound on 2's. 4 must attack Njal casuing two wounds however he passes both his saves. The other 8 only down 1 frostbalde wolf guard as he rolls some rather impressive saves. Things are not looking good. His frost blades and power weapons cause two wounds to the paladins wounding the sword psycannon Paladin and the sword paladin. My one sword weilding paladin in combat casues 2 wounds killing one basic wolfguard the banner bearer manages to get his storm bolter levelled amoungst the melee and takes a terminator out with a few shots to the head (banner caused 3 wounds 1 failed aromour save on a cyclone terminator). Njal fends off the paladins attacks and causes two wounds, I fail both saves wounding a halberd and the psycannon with the hammer however the hammer strikes back dealing 2 wounds to njal who finally fails one save the hammer instantly kills him. The last thunderhammer wolf guard lands 2 out 2 blows and wounds both times I ellect them 2 my wounded sword and sword and psycannon paladins both failing their saves. I win barely, at this point I haven't passed a single cover save or invulnerable save. Being only Ld 2 and loosing their leader the Wolf Guard run 5 inches towards the edge. My paladins consolidate 3 inches spreading out over a piece of terrain and away from logans unit but still within 6" of the fleeing wolfguard.

LOGAN WING TURN 2

Movement: Logans Unit moves towards the centre closing the gap between him and the strikes and raider, The fleeing termiantors flee 6" towards the edge but are still around 15" from the table edge. The vindicator pivots just enough to see the paladins but not expose it's side armour to the ven dread.

Shooting:

Logans unit opens up at the unit of strikes with the psycannons, a full barage of rockets and storm bolters sees 2 of them drop the other wolfguard fire thier weapons into the paladins as they are fleeing but fail to cause any significant damage. The vindi fires off again into the paladins hitting another two with a 4" scatter which is reduced to 0" by BS and causes one wound, I take it on the wounded halbard who to no surprise fails his cover save. Ouch 3 paladins left.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 3

Movement

With only 3 paladins left and almost a full unit of wolf guard left I am feeling the heat. The land raider turns around and moves 12" around the centre piece of terrain and unloads its cargo infront of Logan and his bodyguard. The grand master leaves the paladin unit and rolls a 5 for Difficult terrain and moves through the centre piece of terrain to joing the death cults. Difficult terrain sees the paladins only move 3" towards the fleeing wolfguard, not nearly enough to stay within 6". both units of strikes head towards logans unit as well. The ven dread moves 6" to get some side armour shots on the Vindicator.

Shooting:

The paladins again have an option to either shoot or attempt to stay in range of the wolf guard to keep them running, I choose to run but again roll poorly a 2 being just an inch too little. Coteaz the grand master, banisher and mystic fire into logans unit downing 1 more guard and the thunder hammer weilding wolf guard. The strikes fair far worse both only rolling 4 hits, with only 2 wounds caused between them. The land raider fires its heavy bolters into logans unit but again the 2 wounds bounce off them. The ven dread finally has an opportunity to take down the vindicator 4 hits sees only 1 pen. He fails his cover save granted by the interviening terminators however I only roll a 2 and stun it.

Assault

A very important roll, I need 4" to get the DCA and GM with Coteaz into logan and his unit, I roll my two dice, double 3. It's just one of those games that everyone has where the dice gods just don't like you. The unit is left standing in the wind ready to be fired upon.

LOGAN WING TURN 3

Movement:

The fleeing wolfguard regroup 3" and move a further 6" towards the DCA unit, logan and his guard also move right up next to them.

Shooting:

Both wolf guard units unload into them and through wound allocation I manage to loose only the banisher, using coteaz twice to absorb krak missile shots and a DCA saving a lucky wound.

Assault:[/b

Both units of wolf guard 3 and 6 strong elect to charge into the DCA unit. Logan howls his battle cry on the way in inspiring the wolves to greater acts of heroism. Coteaz successfuly casts sanctuary but both units of wolf guard roll high enough on the difficut terrain checks to make combat with not a single model taking a wound from dangerous terrain. Both units do count as moving through terrain though and are reduced to i1. The psychtrokes grenades roll a 5 against the wolf guard unit that had regrouped that turn reducing them to i1 in effect doing nothing as they already were due to charging through terrain, and a 6 against logans unit. Logan and his guard all pass their initiative checks except for Arjac again he rolled well, but having arjac turn could be the little bit of help I need. The grand master casts hammerhands as does coteaz bringing the dca up to str 5 and with rad grenades allowing them to wound on 2's.

the DCA punch out 12 attacks into logans wolf guard unit and cause 7 wounds, Arjac takes 2 hoping he will kill hmself however his storm shield stops 1, the other cyclone wolf guard goes down as does 1 more standard guard, again some good saves. The other DCA is forced to attack logan (the others were all forced to attack wolfguard) causing him two wounds one he saves. Damn logan lives on 1 wound. The GM is forced to attack the other wolf guard unit hitting twice and needing 2's to wound, he rolls double 1's. C'mon dice gods! Logan and his unit then unleash using prefered enemy to reroll all their hits, the combined dmg kills the mystic and 5 of the 6 DCAs no attacks are elected to either coteaz or Gm as none can instant death them. Coteaz causes a single wound to a wolf guard splattering him all over the battlefield with his hammer. Arjac attacks his own kin causing two wounds but he saves both saves on his wolves with the other going on Arjac himself! Somehow the giant blacksmith fells himself, a fitting end for any space wolf character if you ask me :)

We actually draw combat somehow however the combat looks like it will not go my way next turn. This is one tough fight.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 4

Movement:

I really do not have many options I run my strikes (both units) up to help out the Gm and coteaz with the single remaining DCA to hold off the remaining wolf guard. The 3 remaing paladins also move towards the combat.

Shooting:

The ven dread once again fires into the vindicator again causeing 4 hits but even with no cover saves only 1 pen is caused just shaking it.

Combat: The paladins and both strike units charge in to help tie up this game once and for all. Both coteaz and the GM as well as both strike units and the paladins all cast hammerhand successfully. The paladin with the remaining halbard hits the wolf guard without logan hitting twice but failing to wound at all The GM once again fudges all his attacks the DCA kills another Wolfguard... Logan with his rerolls to hit lands 3 wounds on coteaz killing him before he had a chance to attack. The other i4 wolf guard manage to kill the remaining death cult assassin and cause another wound on the paladin unit, now all paladins have 1 wound. My sword paladin lays down two wound on the wolfguard without logan and kills 2 off. Logans bodyguard split their i4 attacks between both units of strikes killing 3 in the 5 man unit and 2 in the 3 man with the unit with the psycannons but not before the strikes take all of them down. The remainging wolfguard from the other unit with a hammer promptly hits the GM square causing 1 wound. The GM with his sword and iron halo has a 3++ but true to form this game he fails it and is slain by the mighty weapon. In revenge the remaining hammer weilding paladin slays the last wolf guard.

I loose combat by for thanks to 6 wounds of characters dissaperaing. Both strike units fail but the paladins roll double 1's holding firm and consolidating the only remaining survivor of the wolves. Logan on one wound! my strikes with the 2 surviviors flees 5" the other 7"

SPACE WOLVES TURN 4

Movement:

The vindicator not being able to shoot moves to try and escort the fleeing knights towards the table edge but is only able to get in range of the two man unit.

Combat:

Logan and the 3 remaing paladins on 1 wound fight out the final battle. The paladins succesfully cast hammerhand. The halberd has a chance to kill logan before he ultimately decimates the rest of them. 2 attacks sees one hit with a wound on a roll of a 3. The save.. a 2! And logan is finally slain, though he more than proved his valour in battle. I consolidate 2" back towards the objective near the centre.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 5

Now just to kill that pesky vindicator. I can't believe how long it has survivied. Both the dread and the raider fire into opposing side arcs and finally destroy the relentless vehicle. The game ends with a tabling, the grey knights victorious but suffering huge losses. 3 paladins, 3 strikes a land raider and a ven dread are all that remain. In total almost 1200pts of my army has been removed.

Looking back I am still happy with how things panned out. I rolled pretty average with all my rounds of shooting and I managed to fail every single cover and invuln save on my paladins for the entire game! The psychtrokes also proved how hit and miss they can be doing almost nothing except causing arjac to attack his own unit which did help a lot. The blind grenades were the best points spent. 5 points took a total of 10 attack off the wolf guard units as they charged the DCAs so they again were well worth it. I don't know why they aren't on every tech marine or GM. With all that I am very happy to pull through with a reasonable win, however the hardest one to date for the paladins against a list they should be quite adept at fighting.

Hope you guys enjoyed that one, it was good to have a really close game to report back with. Only matter of time until the paladins fail in their mission.

Comments and critiques are always welcome, feedback is always appreciated.

Regards,

Crynn

That was a good read! Must have been exciting.

Have a single question; is there a reason why Njal didn't use his Force weapon on those 2 Paladins he wounded before he died? He should have been able to instant kill them both since it can be used in both player turns...

That was a good read! Must have been exciting.

Have a single question; is there a reason why Njal didn't use his Force weapon on those 2 Paladins he wounded before he died? He should have been able to instant kill them both since it can be used in both player turns...

My apologies, he did but because the psychotrokes made him leadership 2 he failed miserably. Also he can only force weapon 1 paladin as it is only nemisis force weapons that work against every opponent you hit. Thanks to the last FAQ you also cannot recast a psychic ability so he could only attempt it once.

It was a really exciting game and my opponent was a great guy which is important, annoying rolling such bad dice but a good general has to make do with that, doesn't always mean you will pull through but a lot of the time if you put things in your favour even rolling bad you can still come out on top as I'm sure you know. To be honest I think my list is a very good match up for Logan wing and I think the fact that my list had a natural advantage over his is what saw me through a lot of the game even with my roles.

Thank you very much for the comments Idaho. If I continue to get little feedback I will probably stop writing up these battles as it may not be providing information for me or obviously any others.

Regards,

Crynn

Don't know about everyone else but I'm reading the reports eagerly!

My apologies, he did but because the psychotrokes made him leadership 2 he failed miserably. Also he can only force weapon 1 paladin as it is only nemisis force weapons that work against every opponent you hit. Thanks to the last FAQ you also cannot recast a psychic ability so he could only attempt it once.

Gotcha, Ld2 will make Psychic powers a little difficult to use!

Anyway, in other situations (i.e. not Pyshotroked!) Njal can use up to 2 powers a turn, meaning he can use his Force weapon twice in opponent's turns. Not quite as good as those Grey Knight squad based force weapons!

Don't know about everyone else but I'm reading the reports eagerly!

Gotcha, Ld2 will make Psychic powers a little difficult to use!

Anyway, in other situations (i.e. not Pyshotroked!) Njal can use up to 2 powers a turn, meaning he can use his Force weapon twice in opponent's turns. Not quite as good as those Grey Knight squad based force weapons!

unfortunately he can no longer use his force weapon twice anymore as last core rule book FAQ dissallowed recasting or casting psychic powers twice. As mephiston player I felt the burn. What I also learned later was njal is less threatening if the wolves go second as many of his storm abilities such as the neg one bs only effect units for a game turn, hence when the space wolf player finishes their turn the game turn ends and the ability is no longer in effect. Anyway mate thanks for the feedback, I will have more battle reports coming.

Regards,

Crynn

Also managed to get a game in last night against a fateweaver list. I won't write up the report as it was the most one sided game I've played in a while. lets just say with a banisher in a land raider 2 warp quakes and coteaz with paladins meaning you can't deep strike within 12 without the paladins shooting, also dark ex, sanctuary, psychotroke grenades i6 assasins with hamer hands, rad and psychout grenades it was a white wash. He didn't even get a charge off. I did all the offensive work and lost just 3 models for a turn 5 table. To his defence he had absolutely no chance of winniging the game from the start.

Some closer battle report obviously soon to come.

This puts me at 11 wins 0 losses and 0 draws with this list so I'm wrapped to say the least.

Regards,

Crynn

So tomorrow I have a practice tournament in prerperation for the Australasian Team Challenge the following week. the tournament this saturday is called 'Scalps' and the idea is for people to bring down what ever list they want, as hard as they like and try and beat the VIC team (VIC is a state within aus, all states provide a team for the Australasian Team Championships) so hopefully I will see some hard and interesting armies come tomorrow.

Win, lose or draw, by the end of tomorrow I will have 3 new battle reports ready for you guys to read and question my tactics decisions and perhaps provide alternatives to my own tactical choices and ideas that you have that would strengthen my list.

Wish me luck,

Regards,

Crynn

TOURNAMENT SCALPS

PLACE: 1st

So a day later than I had hoped but here is the run down of my weekend tournament. The tournament was a no comp tournament where people would face members of the Victorian Australasian team and try to beat them 'getting their scalp' thus the tournament name. The idea was that we would face the worst army match up for ourselves in the first 2 rounds as chosen by our team captian, essentially giving the VIC team bad match ups to make it harder. There were 20 people fatthe tournament with the VIC team consisting of 8 so a few people only played a VIC team member in 2 of their 3 games. All up it was a really fun and challenging day. I managed first place by five points out of a maximum of 60 (almost impossible to get) with my score being 50/60 and the next closest being 45.

The scoring was worked out as such.

Win = 15, Draw = 10, Loss = 5.

Extra objectives is pure Victory Points. Extra points were scored for gaining a significant victory point margin over your opponent, the person with the lower victory points also looses battle points, the brackets were as such:

250-549 +1/-1

550-849 +2/-2

850-1149 +3/-3

1150-1449 +4/-4

1450-1750 +5/-5

For instance if you drew a game with your opponent you would score 10 points each however if you killed 600 victory points more of their army you would score 12 points and they would score 8.

My scores were 15 against Tau, 17 against Imperial Guard and 18 against Tyranids.

Battle reports below

I can't help but think that the Purifier player should have just charged you with everything he had and attempt to Instant Death you off the board. It's truly the Grey Knight's only option against 10 Paladins - you've been given Force Weapons, so abuse them. Sitting back and shooting through your Terminator Armor is a worthless endeavor, even with the amount of wounds that he can make you save.

It works wonders against Draigowing players who put too much faith into their multiple-wound models. Your Paladins would have been reduced to I1 due to Purifier Psyk-out Grenades, their Halberds would have swung first and you'd have been swarmed by the sheer number of attacks coming your way.

Archived