Grey Knights 1750. on a winning streak.

Crynn

I can't help but think that the Purifier player should have just charged you with everything he had and attempt to Instant Death you off the board. It's truly the Grey Knight's only option against 10 Paladins - you've been given Force Weapons, so abuse them. Sitting back and shooting through your Terminator Armor is a worthless endeavor, even with the amount of wounds that he can make you save.

It works wonders against Draigowing players who put too much faith into their multiple-wound models. Your Paladins would have been reduced to I1 due to Purifier Psyk-out Grenades, their Halberds would have swung first and you'd have been swarmed by the sheer number of attacks coming your way.

I agree. But you have to rememeber that my psychotrokes could roll a 2 giving him only 1 attack or a 6 making some of his models attack themselves or a 4 reducing him to ld 2 meaning he wouldn't be able to get those force weapons to work or a 5 and reduced him to I1 attacking with me. I would never let him line up more than one unit for charge so the max he would get in would be 1 sqaud. With defensive grenades even if he charges he only has 12 force weapon attacks because the rest are psycannons. 12 attacks is 6 hits which is 3 wounds meaning 1.5 wounds gets passed my swords then if he passes his ld 9 test he may kill 2 or 3 but that is presuming a lot to to mention coteaz casting sanctuary meaning he could fail charges and loose precious attacks on the way in to combat. Either way I tend to agree with you but it isn't as good an option as you may think, but better than what he chose to do. I appreciate that kind of feedback though, tacitcal thoughts like that are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Crynn

BATTLE REPORT 6

GREY KNIGHTS VS TAU

Same Tau army that reduced me to just 2 paladins on the board though I won 7 turns off coping his list was tough.

His list.

HQ:

Commander of some description, fusion gun, missile pod and something that lets him shoot both weapons.

Etherial + 2 Shield Drones

TROOPS:

6x 12 fire warriors with a marker light.

HEAVY SUPPORT:

3 x 3 Broadsides with +1 BS + 2 Shield Drones

So in all 9 twin linked bs 4 railguns and upwards of 100 str 5 pulse rifle shots, the etherial goes wth a unit of fire warriors or broadsides and just moves units if one gets weak giving the whole army re-rollable Ld tests.

Mission 2 objectives, Pitched Battle.

He wins dice off and goes first.

Deployment: I place my skulls in the middle of the table towards each short edge (same as almost every other time)

He has a bunker in the middle of his deployment zone and puts his objective next to it on my right. There is some impassable terrain in his deployment zone to my right that runs down half the length of the short table edge meaning I won't outflank when I deploy because if I come on that side the best I can do is come on from that edge in the centre of the board. He sets up one unit of broadsides near either corner of his deployment zone and one on top of his bunker with the etherial. 3 units of Fire warriors on one side of the bunker and 3 units on the other side, each in lines one behind the other.

I deployed as far to my right on the 12 inch line as I could keeping out of range of some of the fire warriors and hopefully one unit of broad sides at least for a turn. I had rolled a 5 for my Grand Stratergy and picked scouts for my paladins strikes and dreadnaught. The scouts combat squaded 1 squad was up next to the paladins and one was sqaud was tucked behind the corner of a small building in my deployment zone with my objective out of line of site. I scout up into a piece of terrain on my right flank and due to difficult terrain move 5 inches into the forest my strikes move 4 inches with my paladins and the dreadnaught moves infront of the land raider giving it cover and pops smoke to gain cover itself. (Side note, as usual the GM and coteaz are in the raider with the DCAs)

Roll to steak the initiative. 6 What do you know I take it.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 1

Movement:

I move up through the terrain with my paladins and roll!!!!..... doubles 1's damn that doesnt help much, the strikes only move 3 the strikes on my objective remain out of line of site. The land raider moves around the terrain 12" and pops smoke, The dread moves up behind the paladins and forest for cover.

Shooting:

I run my paladins 4 inches forward and the strikes 2 inches. the dread shoots the closest unit of broadsides hitting causing 4 wounds, he puts two wounds on the shield drones and looses one but both broadsides pass their saves. turn over.

TAU TURN 1

He moves some fire warriors on my right towards me and shuffles all the guys on the left flank closer towards me as he has no line of site with the left broadsides to my paladins due to the bunker in his deployment zone.

Movement:

Shooting:

He fires the closest broadsides into my land raider causing 1 pen hit. I fail my cover save and he roles a 6 destroying the raider and 1 DCA inside and wounding both the GM and Coteaz! the broadsides on the bunker shoot at the paladins cause 3 wounds from 3 shots and what do you know they kill 3... some fire warriors on the right that didn't move fire into my strikes killing 2 basic strike knights.

Bad first turn for me.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 2

Movement:

I move up further through the terrain with my paladins and the strikes as well. The GM and Coteaz join the paladins and the DCA run behind some of the paladins, the few that aren't in cover to gain cover themselves. the dread moves up 6 as well.

Shooting:

My 3 strikes with the two psycannons shoot a unit of fire warriors killing 4 the paladins do not shoot the closest fire warrior unit as the want to charge it to gain free movement. The dread shoots the broadsides again but they pass all their saves. The DCA run forward.

Combat:

My paladins need a 5 to make combat through the terrain to the nearest fire warrior unit however only manage a 4.

TAU TURN 2

Movement:

The fire warriors close to my paladins move backwards to stay as far away as possible, Fire warriors on the left move again closer to my army. Everything else stays still.

Shooting:

The broadsides on the right shoot smart missiles into my DCA unit killing them all as the ignore the cover given by the paladins, a smart move. the other broadsides on the bunker fire into the paladins killing another through cover saves. The fire warriors on the right unload into the paladins causing 2 wounds. The other fire warriors kill off 2 more strikes leaving 1 psycannon. the broadsides on the right shoot the ven dread but only score a glance after cover saves stunning it. I pass my Ld check on the loan strike knight.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 3

Movement:

The paladins move forward 6 inches as does the loan strike the dread stays where it is.

Shooting:

The dread passes its fortitude test and shoots some fire warriors on the left flank who were out of cover and kills 4. They fail their ld test but thanks to the etherial re-roll and pass

Combat:

The paladins and lone strike charge the first fire warrior unit, I'll spare you the details they all just die, the pallies consolidate 5" the strike 4" now I am in his lines. I string my pallies onto some cover with a few off the cover close to two more fire warrior units and the right unit of broadsides.

TAU TURN 3

Movement:

The fire warriors close to the paladins move 6" away the broadside on the left move to try and get line of site on the paladins who are now on one side of the bunker.

Shooting:

The fire warriors on the left shoot the paladins causing another wound and hitting with their marker light. Another fire warrior unit finishes off the strike knight. The 2 units to the left are out of range and/or line of site with most guns but the unit that didn't move gets another marker light hit on the paladins. he uses a marker light to remove 1 from my cover save and fires the 3 right broadsides on the right into the paladins killing another 1. The 3 broadsides on the bunker shoot into the paladins using the other marker light to reduce their cover save killing another 1.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 4

Movement:

My paladins move 5" towards two units of fire warriors. Coteaz leaves the unit and heads for the right unit of broad sides. The grand master leaves to hit another unit of fire warriors as the paladins won't be able to multi charge.

Shooting:

The paladins again don't fire as he could remove models in a unit putting me out of charge range. The dread shoots the far unit of broadsides killing 1.

Combat:

The paladins charge one unit of fire warriors, the GM another and coteaz the broadsides. Coteaz goes to str 8 with hammer hands and kills just 1 but takes no wounds in return. The paladins win combat and the fire warriors actually hold on double 1s thanks to a reroll from the etherial! The GM also wins combat and the fire warriors flee 6" just half an inch from the board edge. The GM consolidates to the edge of his bunker that the broadside are on top but now can't see him due to the angle.

TAU TURN 4

Movement:

My 3 remaining paladins and the GM are now next to his objective so he runs the 3 remaining squads of fire warriors towards the objective. The battle suits on the left cant see anything except for the dread but they do not care about it so move to try and get line of site to the paladins for next turn and the GM tucked up against the right side of the bunker but roll bad on their difficult terrain rolls. The fleeing fire warriors run off the board.

Shooting: The broadsides on top of the bunker shoot the dread and immobilize it.

Combat:

My paladins finish off the fire warriors they are in combat with and consolidate up to the bottom of the bunker near 2 units of fire warriors that are peering round the corner. Coteaz kills a shield drone and takes no wounds in return.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 5

Movement:

The paladins making a string between one unit of the fire warriors and the objective so that when i charge him i will still be on his objective so I can contest it. The GM attempts to climb the bunker needing a 3 but roles a 1 a 2 and a 2.

Shooting:

The dread shoots at the fire warriors in front of the bunker that aren't about to be charged by the paladins killing 2. The pallies shoot the other fire warrior unit in front of the bunker they are going to charge (there is also another fire warrior unit that is moving around the back of the bunker) killing 3.

Combat:

The paladins charge the fire warriors the GM needs a 4 to charge the top broadsides but fails, That is horrible and may cost me the game. Coteaz finishes off the last broad side but roles a 1 for combat res and doesnt make cover. The paladins win combat and the fire warriors break 7 inches but have to go around the paladins so do not fall back off the edge yet. The paladins consolidate back onto the objective behind the bunker.

TAU TURN 5

Movement:

The fire warriors coming around the back move further round but still not in range of their objective the other fire warrior squad coming round the front moves around in full view of the paladins. The unit falling back runs off the board.

Shooting:

The broadsides on the left shoot coteaz who is in the open easily killing him. the fire warriors infront of the paladins open up with 24 shots and do very well wounding each of the three paladins. The broadsides on top of the roof shoot their smart missiles at the GM causing 6 wounds. Unluckily I fail 2 and he dies. The fire warriors round the back run 2" and are almost in range of the objective.

Unfortunately the game goes on

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 6

Essentially the dread shoots the fire warriors that were running around the back of the bunker killing 3 the paladins string themselves up in another long line in order to charge the fire warriors only getting 1 model into cc with one assisting and still being on the objective after the charge is made. Combat goes well and the paladins cause the fire warriros to run off the board and consol up against the bunker out of LOS of all the broadsides but still contesting the objective.

TAU TURN 6

The remaining fire warrior unit moves into range of the objective and opens up with 16 shots on the paladins but fails to finish any of them off. the broadsides on the roof start plugging away with missiles on the paladins they cant see but also fail to cause a wound.

Again the game goes on, me contesting his objective with 3 paladins on 1 wound each.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 7

I charge the remaining fire warrior unit wiping them then consolidating back behind the bunker out of LOS of the broadsides once again. He has no scoring units so now he just wants to finish off my paladins in order to get more victory points.

TAU TURN 7

Both units of broad sides are now in range with their missiles systems but out of LOS so fire them into the paladins but only kill 1 after saves and the game ends.

I win with him killing 80 more victory points worth of units as half dead units only give half victory points - Ie, the paladins had only 2 models left with 1 wound each but because they weren't all wiped he only got half victory points for the unit which was 325, if he'd finished them off he would have gotten 650 and I would have lost that amount giving him a 7 point loss and me a 13 point win. As it was he got a 5 point loss and I a 15 point win. Tough game, it was one of those few games where I would have prefered draigo to my grenade dispensing Grand Master.

Hope you enjoyed that guys, the next game is Guard with 7 russes and 3 units of vets full of meltas and one plasmas.

Regards,

Crynn

Very true, charging into a squad that has Psykotrokes is not pleasant.

Of course, when there are Dreadnoughts everywhere, Reinforced Aegis should be making Psychic tests hell for everybody.

Just a side note that you probably already know, the aegis and reinforced aegis only come into effect when 'targeting' a unit with either special rule. Neither myself or the purifier player had any powers that do this. For instance sanctuary doesn't target a unit so even if a dread was around it would still be unlikely I'd fail my psychic tests. Similarly force weapons don't actually target any unit or model so my dread and aegis wouldn't effect his ld for psychic tests to activate his force weapons.

Regards,

Crynn

Crynn,

I like your list. It's a race to kill the Paladins before they can spread out and multi-assault everything. I enjoy reading about the options you employ with the HQ's supporting as needed. The Guard will either wiff on 2+ saves or drag the paladins down with massed shooting.

Have you considered dropping the VenDread to a regular and tweaking some points here and there to get an Apothecary? I know its trading survivability here for more there but the 60 point drop plus the Banisher would get you the Apoth. You could even drop a mastercraft for a replacement acolyte to keep the body count up in the Henchmen. You already do a really good job of limiting LOS to the PsyDread.

B.

Crynn,

I like your list. It's a race to kill the Paladins before they can spread out and multi-assault everything. I enjoy reading about the options you employ with the HQ's supporting as needed. The Guard will either wiff on 2+ saves or drag the paladins down with massed shooting.

Have you considered dropping the VenDread to a regular and tweaking some points here and there to get an Apothecary? I know its trading survivability here for more there but the 60 point drop plus the Banisher would get you the Apoth. You could even drop a mastercraft for a replacement acolyte to keep the body count up in the Henchmen. You already do a really good job of limiting LOS to the PsyDread.

B.

Thanks for the post Borinar, really gave me some things to think about so thanks for putting in some thought on that one. You have some very good points, so what I will try to do is explain my reasoning for the stranger choices I've made in the list.

First of all Ven Dread, a choice not many people take. I find that 5 strike knights on the back objective in a two objective game are generally always out of range and are still reasonably easy to take down, The ven dread on the other hands is 3 times tougher than a normal dread! With his huge range he becomes the perfect objective sitter allowing 100 points worth of strikes to move up with the rest of the force and not be wasted so much. The reason it is venerable is because if it is sitting on an objective it has to last and I always make it scoring when needed, that is one reason I take it over a nomral psyfleman. Also becaue I only have one dread and cant afford, when I come up against armies such as DE I need the dread to stay alive to bring down a boat every turn, the venerable part means it absorbs huge amounts of dark lances which then do not find their way into my paladins.

The banisher is a little different. First of all I like extra bodies to protect the DCA once they exit the raider but as you said an acolite can fill this roll. an acolite is 4 points and is the same as a banisher in stats so they banisher is an 11 point upgrade if you will. Now demons struggle to kill land raiders which is where my banisher is so when i play them I have a direct counter to fate weaver if they have him or i just make life alround harder for them. When I played a fatecrusher list I drove the land raider 12 towards where fate weaver had landed deployed to inches out of the front door then ran forward another 3 putting my banisher within 6" of fate weaver. I then shot fac weaver with all my paladins and he was killed easily as he couldn't re-roll his saves other units shot other models that came down and were more effective thanks to the banisher as well. The game was a white wash from their I tabled him ont he fifth turn and literally only lost 3 models in 1750 because he couldnt get around Dark ex Sanctuary and the dam banisher because in combat he struck last the rad and psychotroke grenades would screw his crushers the Gm would cast hammerhands and the dca would wound and hit on 3's. So that 11 point upgrade single handedly one me that game with ease, had I not had taken him i wouldnt not been able to kill fate weaver that quickly and it could have been a hard game. I feel 11 points is a small price to pay to completely ruin an army, I physically don't think I could loose to demons.

On a side not the reason I like bodies for my DCA is because I usually run the GM and coteaz with them so once they exit the raider the DCA don't just explode to a glare from the opponents. Lets say 10 paladins fire their boltguns into my DCA unit with 10 shots they hit 6.66 times causing 4.44 wounds so we'll say 4 as it's average. 1 wound goes on coteaz which bounces another on the GM which bounces one on my banisher who fails his cover save and another on my mystic who passes his cover. so those 10 bolters killed just a banisher and no DCAs.

I would like to have an apoc as the extra saves would always be usefull. However, every time my paladins have almost been whiped out it has been due to armour save ignoring attacks that would by pass fnp. This leads me to believe that the apoc wouldn't be worth the additional points. When I suffer hits of str 8 I put them on already wounded guys so if they fail their invuln I only loose one wound from my paladin unit, in this way I am effectively not taking that wound that was caused from the small arms fire before as it becomes irrelivant, as the paladin would ahve died no matter what. Also by having no apoc some peoplestill think that they can force kills through saves and seeing the paladins as a threat shoot them with small fire as apposed to my strikes. I see this as another advantage to not having the apothacary.

Well that is all the reasoning behind my madness.

In short

Banisher is an 11 point upgrade to always win versus deamons

Ven dread is a 60 point upgrade which makes him almost unkillable and the best objective sitter I believe GKs have

And an Apoc is just too expensive for what he does as the paladins almost never loose a model to weight of fire

Regards,

Crynn

BATTLE REPORT 7

GREY KNIGHTS VS IMPERIAL GUARD

His list. from what I can rememeber.

HQ

Company command with 4x melta in chimera

Company command squad bare (I think) astropath (the guy who helps with reserve rolls)

TROOPS

Infantry Platoon with a bunch of grenade launchers and a few flamers, I think there was 30 of them all up.

Vet squad 3x melta chimera

Vet squad 3x plamsa guns chimera

Vet saquad 3x melta (go in vendetta

FAST ATTACK

Vendetta with heavy bolters

8 rough riders

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Squadron with 3 russes

1 Leman Russ Demolisher

1 Leman Russ Demolisher

I will ahve missed a few upgrades in his list.

MISSION: Kill Points

DEPLOYMENT: Spear Head

So when I randomly drew this list a few mates were laughing at me knowing it would be hell on me. Even the 3 battle cannons would insta kill paladins when i failed saves. At least the mission favoured me and the deployment wasn't bad either though Down of War would have been ideal.

Roll off for first turn I roll a 2 he rolls a 6.

He takes the corner with all the terrain and I mean all. There is a giant wrecked stompa a bunch of scaffoliding for him to deploy his big squad in a tall guard tower for his command squad . His russes deploy to one side and the demolishers deploy on either side of the wrecked stompa using it for cover. his bog squad on the schaffolding that surrounds the stompa and the chimera in around under it. I had put one skull in the top of the scaffolding and one on the other side of the table so I have to remove one when he deploys near it. The rough riders go in reserves as does the vendetta with a unit of melta vets in it.

I roll a 6 for grand stratergy and give my paldins strikes and dreadnaught scout. I deploy in the opposite corner with 0 terrain with just a land raider turned on it's side with the dreadnaught behind it. The land raider has only the grand master in it. I reserve the DCAs, strikes, coteaz and outflank the paladins. You may be asking why reserve the DCAs and their is a simple reason for that. If he blows up my raider the unit inside can't get hurt. I will use the GM to bring them on and they can just walk into the land raider later in the game.

I roll to seize get a 3, coteaz re-roll 6. Man I love Coteaz.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 1

Movement:

I pivot the land raider so both lascannosn can see a leman russ squadron, I don't going for the demolishers as they both have cover, The ven dread moves to be out of LOS of the battle cannons but trying to see a chimera through all the terrain but can't.

Shooting:

The alnd raider shoot both lascannons at a russ immobilizing it and thus killing it due to squadron rules, the ven dread shoots a demolisher russ close to the battle cannon ones in the middle of his deployment quater ad glances once. He fails his cover save and I immobilize it which is actually quite usefull thanks to it's range. Rather good turn.

GUARD TURN 1

Movement:

He shuffles some guys around but not much else happens, the battle tanks move a little.

Shooting:

He fires at the only thing he can see, the landraider. The land raider is impervious to battle cannons and he forces a glance which shakes it

GREY KNIGHT TURN 2

Movement:

I cast psychic communion from my Grand Master succesfully. I roll a 4 for my pallies a 3 for my strike a 4 for coteaz and a 2 for my death cults. I alter the strikes 3 to a 4 so that they arrive. The paladins roll a 5 for outflank and I pick which side for them to come on from. Now you would be thinking I would come right up his ass (Yeah I know how bad that sounds haha) but he was deployed far enough in that I wouldn't be able to charge first turn and would have to get through difficult terrain, technically If i rolled double 1s for my movement all my paladins would die. Having immobilized one demolisher I decide to deploy on his side but really close to my table edge. this means I am out of range of the imobilized demolisher, am pretty much out of line of site from the russes due to the massive wrecked stompa and get rear armour shots on his demolisher with 4 psycannons! I move on and spread a little incase some battle cannons move and come flying my way. The strikes come on from reserves about 6 inches away from my paladins behind a building with only the 2 pscannons poking their heads out to get clear line of site on a chimera. coteaz also joins them.

At this point I have won the game. WHAT!!! I here you say! Well lets look at it logically for a minute. Now presuming I don't roll absolutely horrible i am going to kill that russ with all rear armour shot and not cover saves, and maybe kill a chimera (side armour) with the strikes. That will put me 1 or 2 kill points ahead. If i kill the russ other than melta,s he has no way to deal with the paladins, and if the meltas come near me whatever they dont kill charges them putting them many mroe kill points behind. the battle cannon russes have no hope in hell of killing the dread or the land raider who will just start inching forward shooting up chimeras. If his vendetta outflanks the vets to tray and kill the raider or dread it may got lucky and kill one being the raider as that will be all it can see and in return he'll loose the entire squad to the GM inside and most likely the vendetta to the dreadnaught. My army is very good on kill points and frankly a few ealy good shots immobilizing that demolisher and me coming on from a very unexpected angle have completely thrown his game plan. Anyway as it goes you can feel vindicated in your thoughts as the dice do not go as planned.

Shooting:

The paladins unload into the back of the demolisher with 4 full psycannons and only immobilize it! oh crap meaning it can shoot back! the strikes fail to hurt the chimera. I am in the ^_^ now as my paldins are sitting ducks, they ahave a ledge to get cover but are reasonably packed. I fire my ven dread at his demolisher near my paladins and manage to stun it, thank god. the land raider passes it's fortitude save (in the movement phase) and fires at the other russes but fails to do anything (rememebr if i kill another russ i've destroyed over half the squad and then get half its victory points at the end).

GUARD TURN 2

Movement:

He rolls for the vendetta but it does not arrive. He moves all his chimeras down towards my paladins each taking dangerous terrain and passing, they all pop smoke.

Shooting:

The russes once again fire at the raider and scatter onto the dread but through venerable and a 3+ cover save only stun it. some guardsmen fire at the paladins an do nothing.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 3

Movement:

My deathcults arrive and move inside my landraider. the paladins shuffle back which means if he wants to melta me from his chimeras he will have to move 12" and jump out exposing himself to assault from my paladins and my strikes. the strikes stay where they are as does the dread and raider.

Shooting:

The paladins again unload into the side of the russ as I had moved to shoot a different arc as his rear was completely blocked by a chimera. Guess what I fail to damage it, this is really bad. The strikes fire at a chimera this time they are stationary and only shake it. Erggh I'm in trouble now. the dread cant see the chimeras, i forget to mention this massive tower on the back of my long table edge blocking LOS to my pallies with my dread and his chimeras so again I fire at the demolisher but fail to do anything (again I passed my fortitude in the movement phase) the land raider stuns a battle cannon russ.

GUARD TURN 3

Movement:

His vendetta arrives and he rolls well enough to choose sides and picks the side with the pallies, I am in trouble. It moves on near my pallies and the melta vets get out all 3 chimeras races up 12 spin around and drop more vets in front of me. I am expecting to looses almost the entire squad here.

Shooting:

He fires into me with 3 units of meltas a vendetta shooting a single las cannon the demolisher and the plsama vets! This is what happened... the demolisher scatters perfectly hitting then ounding 4 paaldins I claim a cover save from the one paladin he cant that see behind a building and the 4 that he can't see their legs because of the ledge or dip i'm in. He is not happy but concedes that technically I have a cover save. To his defence it looks like my paladins are pretty much out in the openbut rules are rules and he plays tight so is understanding. needless to say I pass all 4 cover saves. his combined meltasdrop only 2 the lascannon bounces of an invuln and and the plasmas cause 3 additional wounds. The dice that abandoned me turn 2 and 3 and could have cost em the game return to pay their dues. I had some pretty good saves. Now it's game on!

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 4

Movement:

Only the paladins really move and get ready to set up a multi charge from hell, coteaz leaves the strikes to join the paladins.

Shooting:

The paladins don't shoot not wanting to wipe one squad then not be able to charge, the strikes fire at the vendetta only stunning it, the dread and land raider achieve little against AV 14.

Combat:

The paladins charge all 4 units of guardsmen and manage to get a hammer inthrough a gap into a chimera which I elected as the target of the assault. The combat sees the paldins take no wounds whipe 2 squads kill the chimera and send the velta vets from the vendetta running at under half strength and the command squad tun with 2 meltas remaining. bang 3 KPs. I consol towards the demolisher spread accros terrain but close enough to keep the command unit running.

GUARD TURN 4:

Movement:

The melta vets run out of melta range of the paladins the command squad moves only 5" and the other chimeras pivot to shoot the terminators.

Shooting:

the melta command squad drops another paladin so does the demolisher (cover saves help a bit against both saving a wound from each) his big squad on top of the scaffolding is now in range with some of its memebers and causes 1 wound onto an unwounded paladin the battle cannons again fire and do nothing. The 2 chimera fire at the paladins and cause another wound.

GREY KNIGHTS TURN 5

Movement:

The paladins move 4" through DT close to the imobilzed demolisher that just wouldn't die, the strike stays put as does the land raider and dread, well they shuffle a little.

Shooting:

The dread shoots the immobilized russ that hasn't fired all gave as does the LR both do nothing. the paldins decide not to fire knowing they will whipe whateve they shoot, the strikes shoot down the vendetta.

Assault:

The paladins multi assault the demolisher they are next to and the fleeing command squad and destroy both and consol 1" forward.

GUARD TURN 5

Movement:

The big guard platoon shuffle to get some more rapid fire in range the chimera pivot to face the strikes.

Shooting:

The platoon get an order to get more shots off 1st rank second rank fire, they cause another wound on the termies. the chimeras fire at the strikes killing 2 the battle cannons again do nothing even though this time they fired at the paladins which they can now see. The demolisher that has been out of range the whole time is now in range of the paladins and kills 1 through cover saves.

Unforunatly for him the game goes another turn.

GREY KNGIHTS TURN 6

In short. I charge the blob sqaud killing most and the others flee at under half strength and consol twoards the remaining demolisher and spread out. The ven dread shoots a chimera after moving killing it, the strikes kill the other, the land raider fails to do anything to the remaining Demolisher.

GUARD TURN 6

He fires the demolisher to little effect the battle cannons kill another paladins reducing me now to just a few + coteaz, his command unit in the watch tower stay there and shoot hoping to be out of charge range of the pallies if it goes anotehr turn and that's about all he has left to use.

Game ends at turn 6.

So an odd game, Being killpoints definitely helped as it put him on the back foot and forced him to engage the paladins before they systematically wracked up vehicle KPs. The final score in KPs was 10 / 0 so a thumping but due to victory points I only won 17 / 3 so I was pretty happy with that. i didn't really try to win the fight just used psychic communion and grand stratergy to hit him from strange angles and never ingage units I didn't want to have to fight without forcing him to risk KPs in return.

I would love to play some guard in a pitched battle objectives mission and really test the list agains them.

Hope that was interesting guys. (spell checking and cleaning of errors will come later when I'm not at work)

Regards,

Crynn

Great report. Your cover saves were pretty awesome for sure.

G :(

Yes they were! though i wouldn't have needed them if my shooting wasn't completely :(! It's a trade off, I should have won the game turn 2 but the dice decided to give it me turn for 4, it made for a much more intense game though so I should be happy! nothing like a close game!

Thanks for reading BO next report is Tyranids! Then off to the ATC to really get beaten around

BATTLE REPORT 8

GREY KNIGHTS VS TYRANIDS

Final round saw me play tyranids. Big bugs don't really scare me but you never know how the dice will go...

TYRANID LIST

HQ

2x Tyranid Prime, 2x boneswords, might have ahd some other stuff I don't know.

ELITES

10 Ymgral Genestealers

3 Hive Guard

Doom of Malantai with a spore pod thing.

TROOPS

15-20 ( I cant rememeber) Genestealers with a broodlord with a power that stops me hitting him in combat sometimes.

Trygon with the jazz that makes its gaunts counter attack furios charge and poison. It could give a unit FnP as well.

10 Gaunts with counter attack, poison furious charge.

10 Hormagaunts, I think they were poision and furious charge as well.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Trygon

Mission was 4 objectives, Dawn of war.

I placed my skulls in the usual manner. there was a building just off to one side of the centre that looked like the coliseum but could wasily been seen through, I put a skull on the top level of that, and another skull in the other table third that wasnt the middle one. (the usual)

I won the roll to place the first objective and did so in the dead centre of the board, he put on 12 inches from that to the right, I created a driangle putting one 12" from the other two and more towards one deployment zone. He put the other in the same deployment zone 12" from 2 other objectives making a rhombus (all onjectives were as close together as possible)

He won the role off to go first and deployed a trygon some gaunts with a prime in them half way up the board to push me back. He obviously took the side with all the objectives.

I look to see whether his infiltrators can cover my board edge and block my but the can't so i decide to just start everything off the table.

Roll to seize - 1, re-roll a 4. I don't seize, no biggy, its objectives and I have a land raider and he doesn't have a tyrannofex, I fail to see how this game can end badly.

It has been too long since the game to remember the roles so I will just finish by saying I smashed him.

Coteaz in the paladin unit which I walked up to the piece of terrian I thought his ymagril genestealers were in. I guessed correct and when they came on the paladins automatically got to fire at them and killed them all before they could even make their first move. His tervigon spawned only once and rolled doubles. his hive guard killed 3 pallies very early from bad saves but other than that the paladins walked through everything even with the psychotrokes only going off once making him LD 2, almost useless.

My land raider dread and strikes killed harpies and gaunts most of the time before camping on objectives. the Ven dread held up a unit of genestealers for so long (5 combats) until my paladins could come and help. Coteaz cast sanctuary successfully all game after leaving the paladins and going inside the land raider. The deathcults all died but pulled off a huge mutil assault with 3 units of gaunts and the land raider used coteaz and the GM to pull the palaidns into the same combat making him take 16 fearless saves on each unit, all dead except 3 gaunts thanks to FnP.

Tyranids were unfortunately predictable and slow. in the ATC format the game was an 17/3.

Sorry I haven't been around to provide any reports lately guys, this weekend was spent up in Canberra (Austrlia's capital) playing in the Australasian Team Challenge!

My state of Victoria came came 3rd overall which is pretty good considering we lost a player for the last two rounds as he had to go in to get surgery as I kid you not, he was bleeding from his anus. 40k trips have never been so eventful. We probably should have placed 2nd.

On a more positive note, I was the only player of 48 to win every single game, scoring 94/100 battle and geting me best general, pretty stoked :)

The only down side is I had to play against various marines the entire tournament and didn't get to play any squishy bugs or orks.

My 5 games were against the following lists. Mind the different layouts, I've just coppied them as they were submitted to the ATC board.

I haven't written battle reports for these as it will take some time and I am not sure if anyone wants the details. However if anyone wants to know how I achieved my wins against any of the lsits below, just ask and I will happily write up the battle in the thread for you. No sweat.

1st round: Grey Knights

3 Objectives

WIN 17/3

HQ

Coteaz

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, terminator armour, daemon hammer, psycannon, 3x servo skulls.

ELITES

Vindicare Assassin

TROOPS

8 psychers

Rhino

8 psychers

Rhino

10 Strike knights, Justicar with MC hammer, 2x psycannon, psybolt ammo,

Rhino

10 Strike knights, Justicar with MC hammer, 2x psycannon, psybolt ammo,

Rhino

5 Grey Knight Terminators, 2x halberd, 1x psycannon hammer, 1x sword, 1x justicar with sword.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Psyfleman Dread

Psyfleman Dread

Dread with autocannon arm and psybolt ammo with a nemisis doom fist and storm bolter

2nd Round: Blood Angels

2 Objectives

WIN 19/1

HQ: Librarian in Power Armour (1#, 100 pts)

1 Librarian in Power Armour with Shield of Sanguinius and Unleash Rage

Elite: Sanguinary Priest (1#, 70 pts)

1 Sanguinary Priest in Power Armour with Melta Bombs, BP and Lightning Claw.

Elite: Terminator Assault Squad (6#, 480 pts)

4 Terminator with Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield

1 Sergeant with pair of Lightning Claws

1 Land Raider with Multi-melta

Troops: Assault Squad (6#, 180 pts) – Remove Jump Packs

3 Assault Squad with Bolt Pistol and CCW

1 Assault Marine with Meltagun

1 Sergeant with Bolt Pistol and Lightning Claw

1 Razorback with Lascannon and TL Plasmagun

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (1#, 100 pts)

1 Land Speeder with Multi-melta and Typhoon Missile Launcher

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (1#, 100 pts)

1 Land Speeder with Multi-melta and Typhoon Missile Launcher

Heavy Support: Predator (1#, 180 pts)

1 Predator with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Lascannon sponsons

Heavy Support: Predator (1#, 180 pts)

1 Predator with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Lascannon sponsons

3rd Round: Space Marines

Kill points

WIN 19/1

HQ: Space Marine Librarian (1#, 130 pts)

1 Space Marine Librarian, 0 pts

1 ...in Terminator Armour, 130 pts = (base cost 125 + Storm Bolter 5)

Troops: Scout Squad (8#, 138 pts)

7 Scout Squad, 125 pts = 7 * 16 (base cost 13 + Camo Cloaks 3) + Sergeant 26

1 Sergeant, 13 pts = (base cost 10 + Camo Cloaks 3)

Troops: Tactical Squad (10#, 180 pts)

9 Tactical Squad, 157 pts = 9 * 16 (base cost 16) + Meltagun 5 + Plasma Cannon 5 + Sergeant 26

1 Sergeant, 23 pts

Elite: Terminator Squad (10#, 460 pts)

9 Terminator Squad, 420 pts = 9 * 40 (base cost 40) + Cyclone Missile Launcher 30 + Cyclone Missile Launcher 30

1 Sergeant, 40 pts

Elite: Terminator Squad (10#, 460 pts)

9 Terminator Squad, 420 pts = 9 * 40 (base cost 40) + Cyclone Missile Launcher 30 + Cyclone Missile Launcher 30

1 Sergeant, 40 pts

Heavy Support: Thunderfire Cannon (1#, 100 pts)

1 Thunderfire Cannon, 100 pts

1 Techmarine Gunner, 0 pts

Heavy Support: Thunderfire Cannon (1#, 100 pts)

1 Thunderfire Cannon, 100 pts

1 Techmarine Gunner, 0 pts

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (3#, 180 pts)

3 Land Speeder Squadron, 180 pts = 3 * 50 (base cost 50) + Heavy Bolter x3 30

4th Round: Deathwing

2 Objectives

WIN 20/0

HQ: Belial, Master of the Deathwing (1#, 130 pts)

1 Belial, Master of the Deathwing, 130 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Terminator Armor; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield; Fearless; Independent Character; Rites of Battle)

Troops: Upgraded Deathwing Terminator Squad (5#, 265 pts)

4 Upgraded Deathwing Terminator Squad, 265 pts (Narthecium; Unit Type: Infantry; Narthecium/Reductor; Terminator Armor; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x4; Cyclone Missile Launcher; Apothecary; Deathwing

Assault; Fearless)

1 Sergeant (Unit Type: Infantry; Terminator Armor; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield; Deathwing Assault; Fearless)

Troops: Deathwing Terminator Squad (5#, 235 pts)

4 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 235 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Terminator Armor; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x4; Cyclone Missile Launcher; Deathwing Assault; Fearless)

1 Sergeant (Unit Type: Infantry; Terminator Armor; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield; Deathwing Assault; Fearless)

4 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 235 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Terminator Armor; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x4; Cyclone Missile Launcher; Deathwing Assault; Fearless)

Fast Attack: Ravenwing Bike Squadron

3 Ravenwing bikes, (1 meltagun, scout, fearless)

1 Attack Bike with a Multi Melta

5th Round: Grey Knights

4 Objectives

WIN 19/1

Grand master, Master crafted Psycannon, master crafted sword, 2x servo skulls, psycotroke grenades, digital weapons=260pts

Troops

10x Terminators, 1x Psycannon+sword, 1x Psycannon+halberd, 3x Storm bolter+ Sword, 4x Stormbolter+Halberd, Justicar has stormbolter+halberd, Psybolt Ammo=470pts

10x Strike Squad, Psybolt Ammo, Justicar with hammer, 2x Psycannons=250pts

Heavy Support

Drednaught, 2x Auto Cannons, Psyammo=135pts

Dreadnaught, 2x Auto Cannons, Psyammo=135pts

Regards,

Crynn

Hello I’m French and i follow your thread with passion. Please post details, against death wing for example.

I’ve got a question : classic land raider do not have frag assault lanchers. How do you manage to take objectives in cover with your death cult ? If Coteaz or the great master join the death cult all the unit benefit from the frag grenades ?

Hello I’m French and i follow your thread with passion. Please post details, against death wing for example.

I’ve got a question : classic land raider do not have frag assault lanchers. How do you manage to take objectives in cover with your death cult ? If Coteaz or the great master join the death cult all the unit benefit from the frag grenades ?

Hey mate, thanks for posting your first comment in my thread! Always good to know people are reading your long winded posts and that they aren't completely ignored by the masses haha. First off I will answer your question regarding the land raider.

Land Raider 101 - Drive it at the enemy full of assault guys - This is how most people play a land raider and I believe this is why they are viewed in such low regard by many good players.

Land Raider 102 - The tool box - The land raider is the one unit that has carried across from my competitve Blood Angel army to my competitive Grey Knights army. IT IS NOT A DRIVE DOWN THE GUTS ASSAULT VEHICLE! It is too expensive for this and it gets the land raider into that dreaded melta range which is where it actually starts to get destroyed. Very rarely does a land raider go down to 3 or 4 lascannons shooting it from across the board.

Land Raider use 1. Mobile Line of site blocking cover - The Land Raider's greatest asset to any 'counter assault' type army is it's ability to completly block line of site to anything in any marine dex bar the dreadknight. My blood angels use a Lib dread with wings, mephiston and a razorback with twin linked heavy flamer as just a part of the army. All these unit can be completely hidden behind a land raider with the Lib dread providing the land raider with at bare minimum a 5+ cover save. This means that Meph the lib dread and generally the DC inside all arrive at their target unharmed. Essentially it just transports all of them. My Grey knight army does not have Draigo which is the paladins best defence against str 8+ AP 2 weaponary. I use a land raider for the exact same roll. I drive it next to my paladins and block off most to all of their shooting attacks that can harm the paladins. I systemattically shoot my pallies and my ven dread (which also hides behind/on the side of the raider) at anything that can harm them that they can see and therefore see them. Next turn I move up 6 inches turn the land raider a little bit so that they can see another unit that could effect them, then they shoot that off the board, No one can get close enough to melta the tank as to do so they would first have to be in charge range of the deathcults. You cannot deep strike melta the tank because of warp quake and coteaz goes with the paladins meaning anything deep striking near them dies when it arrives. In the team challenge not once were all my paladins destroyed or my land raider or the ven dread.

Land Raider use 2. The ultimate sling shot - I presume we are all familiar with the sling shot technique using charcters to join units essential moving them closer to the enemy allowing the unit to pull off a charge. The land riader actually gives my paladins an 18" charge range just by being next to it. My henchman unit is only 7 models big for a reason. 3 spots needed for the grand master and coteaz. when the land raider moves up to deliver the death cults the paladins mvoe up 6" as well, Coteaz jumps out 2 inches infront of the paladins with his 1" base and the GM jumps out 2" infront of coteaz with his 1.5 inch base joining the same unit. now my Paladin unit is 6.5" closer to the nemey meaning they can now charge with the assassins giving them an extra 6 inch move to assault + 1d6 consolidate. This means my paladins are on average now 9.5" closer to the enemy than they normally would be.

Land Raider use 3. An amazing unit in draw hammer as you can physically block the enemy from getting to your objective by putting it right in the corner of the board and putting the land raider infront of it on an angle. It is also excellent at tank shockss as anything that doesn't have a melta weapon will msot likely bouce during a death or glory attack.

In regards to charging thing in cover with my deathcults, if my grand master and coteaz are in their i dont mind charging into cover even though the grenades do NOT work for the assassins, however if the unit I'm charging has reasonable CC ability I just don't charge or I use the Land Raider to tank shock them out of cover and then charge them. Frag assault launchers would be nice however the two twin-ilinked lascannons are more important than grenades in my list as that and the dread make up my long range anti tank. My list is actually very shooty and in many cases my opponent has to come to me meaning they can't always keep their unit in area terrain, if even one model is slightly out I can position the charge so that the deathcults don't have to enter combat through difficult terrain. I also peronally believe that the normal Land Raider is the best one.

I will get round to writing the Grey Knights Vs Deathwing battle report for you soon. Thanks for reading

Regards,

Crynn

Just found this on an Australian wargaming site with all the personal results for all players who were at the Australasian Team Challenge. I guess you will now know my name is Christian. I wrote in the top 5 players army type as well, I couldn't remember the others. Remember this ATC format is a direct copy of the european chamionship format, so every point someone gained somebody had to lose a point, this is why there is such a huge variation in points, it is a rather brutal system.

Full 48 Player Ranking Breakdown.

1:Christian Fulton - 94 GK

2:Matt Aid (Captain) - 91 GUARD

3:Tom Damin - 81 GUARD

4:Mark Pittard - 78 DARK ELDAR

5:William Wykoff - 76 TYRANIDS (Kirby of the fame from his blog 3++) testament to his skill placing here with Tyranids.

6:Joshua McGowan (Captain) - 72 ELDAR

7:Adrian N - 71

8:Stacey Dennis - 70

9:Matt Daniels - 69

10:Julian Miller (Captain) - 68

11:Shaun Hogan - 67

12:Matt Antonello - 64

13:Tyson Linthorne - 63

13:Dave Flemming - 63

14:Tom White - 62

15:David Teoh - 61

16:John Lampe (Team Numpty) - 58

16:Ben Medbury - 58

16:Joshua Diffey (Captain) - 58

16:Kristen Cann - 58

17:Neil Phillips - 54

18:Jeff Dunster - 50

18:Andy Penn - 50

19:Patrick Carter - 49

20:Brendan Dee - 47

21:Glen Blair - 45

22:Alex Ozanne - 43

22:Nathan Bane - 43

22:Brenton Shaw - 43

23:Dennis Fung - 41

23:Brian Merton - 41

24:Matthew Tolcher - 40

25:Oliver Paun - 39

26:Jonathan Van Butzelaar - 37

27:Mitchell Wragg - 35

27:Sheldon McGowan - 35

28:Caine Marshal - 34

28:James Higgins - 34

28:Simon Rainbow - 34

29:Alun Gallie (Captain) - 33

30:Simon O'Brien -30

30:Dean Bradley - 30

31:Dallas Kimber - 26

31:Jason Perkins - 26

32:Gary Danaford - 24

33:Russel Harman - 23

34:Brad Scott - 8

Thank you very much for your awesome detailled response, it's very interesting. And congrats for your results ! :)

Thank you. If you ever have any questions, I am always happy to oblige and write as little or as in depth a response as needed to explain tactics. That's what we are all in these forums for, to learn. Appreciate the support.

Eventually I want to get some photos up of the army once it's finished or even any of the units are finished.

I should have the Batrep done for you tomorrow.

Regards,

Crynn

Crynn, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your battle reports. I don't comment or post very often as I am new to Grey Knights and 5th edition as well. I have learned a lot about how GKs should be played from reading both your reports as well as those posted by Nurgle. Even though our lists are very different as I am working on a Crowe list, I feel that I have a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses as well as how to respond to various scenarios.

Long post short, please continue to post your battle reports!

Bit cheeky calling it the Australasian Team Challenge when it only incudes one country....

However still congratualtions on your success.

You New Zealanders were invited but didn't want to come along. It looks like VIC are hosting it next year and we are hoping NZ and Tasmania will be fielding teams. Considering this was the tournaments first year (looks like 1 of many) it should be a big success in future years with a spot in a team being an achievement in itself.

So we'll be seeing you next year? I hope so!

Regards,

Crynn

Ah I stand corrected then. Hopefully we'll send a team next time. Always good to encourage a bit of friendly rivalry. I haven't had a chance to play across the ditch yet due to fiscal reasons but that may change next year. Especially after a mate just came back from High Lords in Sydney and had a blast.

Ah I stand corrected then. Hopefully we'll send a team next time. Always good to encourage a bit of friendly rivalry. I haven't had a chance to play across the ditch yet due to fiscal reasons but that may change next year. Especially after a mate just came back from High Lords in Sydney and had a blast.

Good to hear! I've heard you New Zealanders play a mean game of 40k! Do you have many big tournaments over there? I only come over to snow board have heard recently you guys are serious 40kers I also want to go up to High Lords next year but the main event is an ivitational and because I didn't play many tournaments last year I didn't recieve an invite.

Regards,

Crynn

We definitely have a good competitve edge. There's a few well known players on the circuit that are good fun to play even if they wipe the floor with you. I've played in about 3 tournaments a year for the past 3 years and only had 1 game which wasn't thoroughly enjoyable, despite it being quite competitive. Usually about 2-3 tournaments a year in each of the big centers (Welly, Auck, Chrch, and Hamilton). Biggest one in Wellington wasn't on this year because of the RWC though.

Archived