In Midnight Clad - A Night Lords log

• 2 weeks later...
In full. At last. 

The Prince of Crows says hi. Sometimes he wears a normal cape, instead of one made of human skin, to feel fancy. 

xiH08RF.png

I thought the spine thing on his shoulder pad was weird and replaced it with a standard MKIV NL pad, and also I just prefer the real cape. Eidolon was all too happy to donate it to a real duelist.

tx5bAv3.png

I am so, incredibly, incredibly happy with how he turned out. 

VrGx0J8.png

GYahA2o.png

I'm feeling really hobby-invigorated by this and a couple of other recent projects. Like, super ready for the next project. I even set up a paint station at work. Just need to decide what gets done there versus at home. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Legion apothecaries who served alongside the Eighth Legion frequently expressed concern as to the relish, and some would say, delight, Night Lords medicae placed in their solemn duty. They were, in the words of one Ninth Legionary serving alongside them "messy, at best."

Thanks guys! Took a break from the blue, but not the Night Lords! WIP Night Lords MKIV Apothecary. My word painting white sucks. Photographing it is no fun either.

1wssoeo.png

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

Thanks! Finished him up this weekend. 

I hate, hate, hate painting backpacks. No matter what I do, I'm just never satisfied. Doubly so for Apothecaries. The searchlight is my kryptonite.

zouGmTt.png

LN5THqj.png

EETIjTo.png

I'm pleased with the glassy look to the vials and such, as well as the "half-filled" look I managed to give them.

Cheers Bjorn! Yeah he did come together nicely. I can safely say I won't be painting a White Scars army any time soon! 

Instead of doing one figure at a time this stint, I'm doing the set of command. Got a Librarian, a standard bearer, and a vox-master to go before the next Custodes and then, I think, finally, my IF Storm Raven. We'll see. 

Anyway — It may not be much, but I'm really pleased with the pallid Nostraman skin I got on this WIP NL Librarian (converted from the old Dark Vengeance DA Librarian)

Cast quality has improved SO MUCH in recent years by the way. There's parts of this where the detail just like... sloughs off into a mass of armour, especially the horned skull on the right shoulder. 

LAiuevg.png

C&C appreciated.

Cheers Bjorn! Yeah he did come together nicely. I can safely say I won't be painting a White Scars army any time soon! 

Instead of doing one figure at a time this stint, I'm doing the set of command. Got a Librarian, a standard bearer, and a vox-master to go before the next Custodes and then, I think, finally, my IF Storm Raven. We'll see. 

Anyway — It may not be much, but I'm really pleased with the pallid Nostraman skin I got on this WIP NL Librarian (converted from the old Dark Vengeance DA Librarian)

Cast quality has improved SO MUCH in recent years by the way. There's parts of this where the detail just like... sloughs off into a mass of armour, especially the horned skull on the right shoulder. 

LAiuevg.png

C&C appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this mini. 

This was one of the first models I painted when I was getting back into the hobby, and I could not agree more about the quality of the casting. Some of the details were soft or, like the right shoulder pad, melted into the armor.

First, some flavour text... 

Night Lords Librarians were instrumental in sowing fear in their enemies, though the Legion would be thrown into Chaos shortly after Nikea, many continued to serve in their original capacity as the legion went rogue and the Night Haunter destroyed Nostramo. The Fifth Grand Company didn't receive word of the Edict of Nikea until after the muster at Isstvan had been called, and by then, Librarian Shar Gareus' concerns for the whims of Terra had dwindled almost as much as his powers had grown.

Really placed with how the constituent parts came together. Note the bloody Oaths of moment made from strips of flayed skin (same way I painted Sevatar's loincloth).

F05ExTv.png

Better look at the strips of skin and his bracer (Which had some really shallow detail -Took me a bit to figure out where the detail on his arm went!). I'm pretty pleased with the edge highlights too. I am not pleased with how the black cloak photographed.

jbfljCy.png

The old metal sword was a bit awkward to mask and do a full dual direction, so it got a simple fade instead. The Nostraman runes were a nice touch for a force weapon I felt.

3IVsy9e.png

And finally, I tried to shape and drybrush the base as if the ground is cracking due to his presence. I think it came out OKAY. I'll keep giving it a whirl with more models later.

3QuOx0N.png

On to the vox guy... 

Runes on the sword are great. I've got the same model on my desk for my fallen army and there's a lot of details for me to work out how to do.

This was one of the first models I painted when I was getting back into the hobby, and I could not agree more about the quality of the casting. Some of the details were soft or, like the right shoulder pad, melted into the armor.

The Dark Imperium models have similar issues, seems to be more of a starter set thing vs multipart kits situation than a improvement in over-all quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! 

Runes on the sword are great. I've got the same model on my desk for my fallen army and there's a lot of details for me to work out how to do.

The Dark Imperium models have similar issues, seems to be more of a starter set thing vs multipart kits situation than a improvement in over-all quality.

Yeah I suspect the starter stuff is just designed for turnaround and ease of assembly. I'm surprised this guy never got a blister pack release with a better cast though. Perhaps the sprues were too dense? I kind of thing this kit may barely pre-date the CAD modeling for infantry at GW, but couldn't say for sure.

Anyway, another week, another finished Night Lords Command Squad member. Master of Signal. It's not perfect, and the basecoat on the legion should pad got a little grainy, but it's less noticeable in person. 

gtSxtoM.png

Tried something different for the comm screens. White base with Hexwraith Flame on top. Managed a teeny bit of OSL around it and on the finger. 

7GB8pIm.png

Overall, pretty pleased. Just the standard bearer to do now. 

Looking good, always nice to see Night Lords painted to such a good standard :tu:

gtSxtoM.png

Tried something different for the comm screens. White base with Hexwraith Flame on top. Managed a teeny bit of OSL around it and on the finger. 

7GB8pIm.png

Overall, pretty pleased. Just the standard bearer to do now.

I need to ask, how did you do the areas for the screens? Just Hexwrwaith Flame over white? What about the images on the wrist computer? And the OSL is just more Hexwraith Flame spilling over onto the non-white areas?

Wow thanks guys! Always nice to get great feedback on single minis! :D 

I need to ask, how did you do the areas for the screens? Just Hexwrwaith Flame over white? What about the images on the wrist computer? And the OSL is just more Hexwraith Flame spilling over onto the non-white areas?

Yep, that's basically it. White base, liberal dollop of Hexwraith Flame (I guess you could use Nighthaunt Gloom if you wanted to do blue) let dry for at least a day or so. I thinned the HF a tad with some Lahmian Medium and applied over the rest of the casing around the screen, a little teeny tiny bit on his shoulder pad trim, and his index finger. The white details were painted on after it was all dry.

Yep, that's basically it. White base, liberal dollop of Hexwraith Flame (I guess you could use Nighthaunt Gloom if you wanted to do blue) let dry for at least a day or so. I thinned the HF a tad with some Lahmian Medium and applied over the rest of the casing around the screen, a little teeny tiny bit on his shoulder pad trim, and his index finger. The white details were painted on after it was all dry.

Thanks! I'm using Hexwraith Flame for my Dark Angels Plasma weapons and was trying to figure out how to do some OSL with them without it being TOO bright, and that description of how you did it is quite helpful.

Thanks! I'm using Hexwraith Flame for my Dark Angels Plasma weapons and was trying to figure out how to do some OSL with them without it being TOO bright, and that description of how you did it is quite helpful.

Good luck! Glad to help!

Thanks!

Phew. Done with the command units! VIII Legion Standard Bearer complete. 

Some background... "While just as bloodthirsty and cruel as their Nostraman brothers, the VIII Legion Terran companies maintained more of the trappings of formal legion warfare, such as fabric standards, over the flayed skin banners of other companies."

xRiIaic.png

This decal is a bit weird. It's WAY larger than any of the standards I have, so trimming it down was very necessary. I also had to do layers of the same decal as the first was just wayyyy too dark. Luckily I had two sheets!

Z7m8Wvg.png

While the back of the pole isn't the greatest (structural integrity is more important than perfect lines in the bock. 

I am VERY pleased with the blending and highlight on the cape though. So much glazing.

oaiHXqg.png

The command of the Legion all together!

I think I'm off to do a couple of Custodes and Imperial Fists before I dive in on the Night Lords Leviathan. Maybe.