In Midnight Clad - A Night Lords log

That's a great looking command section, the Calth Chaplain works really well as a standard bearer. You're right to be happy with the cloak, it's nicely done, as is the highlighting on the helm.

That's a great looking command section, the Calth Chaplain works really well as a standard bearer. You're right to be happy with the cloak, it's nicely done, as is the highlighting on the helm.

Thanks man! I've recently started going quite a bit brighter on the highlights (Lothern Blue instead of Caledor Sky) and it really pops vs the standard troopers. Started with Sevatar and have carried it over. Really excited to do Curze... one day. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite done, but I’m super stoked with how Guilliman has turned out. The Horus Heresy head looks so much more hopeful and forward-looking than the dour plastic 40K one. I had worried the sizing would be off, but it worked out pretty well. Need to shade underneath it once the glue dries, but I'm so, so happy with the current product. 

Also, all that gold? Contrast is the secret! Can't wait to work on Dorn. 

7ajt6QT.png

• 3 months later...

The Raptor is looking nice! :thumbsup:

That helmet.... Is that from the Ashen Circle? :laugh.:

Ha, no! From the ooooold metal Iron Warrior upgrade set. I had one spare and loved how menacing they looked, so went for it.

Oh wow. That's pretty good then. I've seen that kit, but never saw any of the helmets from any angle other than directly in front (because I've only seen the helmets on the GW website). It does look very menacing though.

Oh wow. That's pretty good then. I've seen that kit, but never saw any of the helmets from any angle other than directly in front (because I've only seen the helmets on the GW website). It does look very menacing though.

Yeah it's a good fit. Very hard to find now though... 

Another one down! I'll go and do all of their backpacks when I'm done. Really pleased with this guy's skull helm. He also has just one flayed-skin glove. He's like the Michael Jackson of murder.

oXHZnwS.png

Choosing reason weapons before adding BFTBG was... a bad choice in retrospect. 

Thanks!

Took a break from Raptors and did a Moritat instead... 

bVwLVjt.png

I was planning on wearing-and-tearing the armour like I did with the Destroyer squad, but decided against it as in my head this guy is higher-ranked, and has more legion serfs to polish his armour after every battle, but he's still rocking the red gauntlets... Also I didn't feel like it. I also have no idea where the shall casing came from, but oh well. 

I alternated the angle of the "spotter" to cover the opposite of where he's looking, and also changed the colour of the indicators on the back of the Volkites. Green for good to go, yellow and red for the one that overheated. 

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Nitromors!

Last post for the year before a break! I told myself I would finish these Night Raptors before I left for my holidays, and so I did.

LMuruM8.jpg

Trying something different for showcasing things with this collage below. These are a lot lighter than a lot of my early Night Lords, but as I've grown in confidence I've grown more willing to lighten up details and whatnot. Lots of blends of regular Citadel Paint and Constrast paint all over. The toolbox is so huge now, I don't think I could have gotten these results even a year ago. The red on the legion icon really pops for me now.

O3qPV54.png

For specifics...

In hindsight, painting the glaives red before adding BFTBG was a mistake, but you get the idea.

4KNDizf.jpg 

Love this "leering" pose. Unlike the sergeant, this one's mask really is part of a skull! Sword from the Palatine Blade kit, as I feel like it has a very sinister vibe to it.

1f3fYI4.jpg

I wish the Night Lords decal sheet had smaller Nostraman runes, but adding them either side of the lightning-bolt-coffin icon worked well for the squad marking.

There's SO much detail on these models, including the strands of leather holding the bones and skin flaps in place.

G1RfIMH.jpg

Even in Nostraman tarot decks, the Ace of Spades is of prime importance...

1pgNNqd.jpg

This guy turned out well. Slicing the decal on the leg, making the lighting arc behind the cords. Very pleased with his overall look.

WjOnLVR.jpg

And that's me done for 2020. I might post a wrap-up post from my holidays with a collage of everything I've done this year... Maybe. I'm very slow, so it's not a lot, but hey, never hurts to try. Have a Happy Holidays everyone! I'll be leaving my brushes at home and have loaded my iPad with all sorts of Black Library goodness. See you next year!

Solid paintjob and conversions! Really cool blends there! Who would have thought that that IW head would look so well! It is even a bit reminiscent of the (now) Finecast Raptors (my favorite iteration of them - I don't really like the new sculpts). I was thinking in giving mine an almost black trim and, as I suspected, they look quite good!

Nice job on these fellows, the lighter blue makes the red details really pop, whilst they are still instantly recognisable as members of the VIIIth. I'm liking the mix of helmets, too, the old IW one, in particular.

• 3 months later...
Glad everyone likes them! THERE ARE MORE OF THEM!

Also, apparently this is officially the most active thread in this subform. Makes me a bit depressed. 

Some quarantine Raptors WIP. Just need to add the backpacks. 30K Night Lords Night Raptors doubling as 40K Warp Talons! Mostly done. Using the warp talon claws on the 30K raptor bodies was not super fun, as the shoulder pads on the Raptors are fixed, so there's less flexibility in poses. Still, pleased with the result. 

aL9iX1S.png

Backpacks to come this week.

Thanks guys!

The Night Raptors / Warp Talons are DONE! If not for Citadel Contrast, these probably would still be unpainted. Being able to do Wraithbone > 50/50 Guilliman Flesh/Contrast Medium layer > Reikland Fleshshade > Highlight with Flayed One Flesh > liberal Blood for the Blood God I think I'd have gone made and given up. 

Blue is the normal (VMA Imperial Blue > Zenithal VMA Magic Blue > Drakenhoff Nightshade) and so is the metal. Not much experimentation otherwise. 

5DrvI9H.png

I'm trying out the black background on these guys. I think it looks pretty darn good! Really digging the look and vibe it gives. Nice colour balance. I might stick with this for the duration. 

Ifd9a2H.png

It took a while to get the claws working with the bodies. I'm pretty pleased with the guy on the left, swooping in. Popped a Nostraman rune on his head and really happy with it. The guy in the middle has a legion of damned helmet which I thought looked appropriately creepy, floating slowly forward. The sergeant is a good looking generic pose.

pV7ph2x.png

Left hang guy was a bit of a stretch post with what I had available, but it works okay. Guy on the right got a nice ominous pose as an Imperial Fist head at his feet. As a unit they're nice and cohesive. 

Those Raptors are straight up creepy, in a really good way. Their hunched and slightly atrophied poses are both menacing and also somehow ‘horror’ like. Great work on the overall poses and paint job. Is the MK6 marine helm from forge worlds raven guard? Where’d his bone chest plate come from??