In Midnight Clad - A Night Lords log

The Night Talons look great! And I hear ya man, the Night Raptors kit, while awesome looking, is a massive PITA to convert because of the modeled on shoulder pads. I had to dremel them out, then cut and smooth the shoulder areas in order to make them into regular Raptors for my 40k Night Lords.

• 4 weeks later...

Talos Valcoran of First Claw, VIII Legion, 10th Company, Successor to the Throne of the Warband of the Exalted, Captain of the Echo of Damnation, called "Soul Hunter."

yyYAWKb.jpg

Just having some fun with various bits and discovered I could make a good Talos. I like him with a cape though. For 30K I guess he can be a Consul of some kind.

• 3 weeks later...
The Night Lords are next up — Lord Executioner, Decimus/Talos, and Praetor in PA and in Tartaros armour are all primed and pre-shaded. 

I did do a little warmup with a Legion Warmonger Centurion! (And Legion Vigilator for my Imperial Fists over in the other thread)

eyJ4j4U.jpg

Fun inclusion of a bunch of random parts! Tyberos the Red Wake's body that rescued from my friend's old bitz box. A Night Lords MKIV head for flavour, some fun Tartaros termie arms, shoulder pads, and storm bolter (one of the best out there!) as well as Alexis Pollux's power fist.

PZSQRBb.jpg

Fj2A8H7.jpg

I'm actually not sure where I got the cape from to be honest... 

Warmonger looks sweet! Zhufors cloak is a bit smaller and not as windswept. That cloak is Loken’s from that set of him versus Abaddon. Which I’ve been thinking about using too for a long time on a terminator conversion. Seeing it on your night lord is definitely cementing the idea for myself.

Thanks all!

First proper Praetor is done! 

iJviUq3.png

I actually swapped the massive chain axe that he comes with with the chainglaive from the power-armoured Praetor, as I want the PA Praetor to serve as a Master of Executions for 40K. It was a pretty simple swap and I'm overall really happy with how he turned out. 

d1fIj9Z.png

Minimal lightning on the upper body due to the amount of detail. The skull necklace got an extra bit of bone added to make a full circuit due to some random resin warpage, but you can't tell. 

Had a fun time with the cables for the volkite, based on the power supply for my computer. 

gdAJZTW.png

It is not a candy cane, I swear. 

5yWz2IG.png

Getting his helmet in place and high enough after assembling the upper body first was... a challenge. Pro-tip for this model — Paint the helmet, paint the parts of the torso, insert helmet, and glue the torso together. Love the way the eye worked out though. 

Next up is the power-armoured Praetor (no jump pack, since the MoE doesn't have one) and Decimus. 
Edited by Inquisitor Engel

Excellent work on the Praetor.

Thanks! And now... THE OTHER ONE! 

This guy WAY over did it with the "Legion icon" branding. We've got... his head, his chest (which should be available as conversion kit please), AND his shoulder pad! The absolute mad lad. He's a praetor in 30K and, because it looks like a VERY heavy axe, will stand in a Master of Executions in 40K! 

r8vXJDT.jpg?1

I'm not sure when FW changed the aesthetic of some of the NL stuff to be less "messy batwing" to the clean look, but the blend works...

38dHtSk.jpg?1

Devising a decent decal pattern for his shoulder pad was also a bit of a pain. Nostraman rune atop the red hand mark won out after several rounds of various attempts with legion numbers and stuff. If you look carefully, a "VIII" made it onto his knee. 

hJuo1QO.jpg?2

He does look cool. 

Next up... Decimus/Talos.
Edited by Inquisitor Engel

I love the kitbashed Praetor/Master of Executions. Stealing that idea of using the big -redacted- Off Chainglaive for the Master of Execution's Axe (by that I mean I'm stealing the idea in general for mine :lol:)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks all! 

Oh look... It's Talos.

Talos Valcoran — Son of Nostramo, prophet of the VIII Legion, inheritor of the Warband of the Exalted, Captain to the Echo of Damnation, slayer of angels, bearer of Aurum, called Soul Hunter

vim9nx17ox351.png

I think he came out really well. 

Parts list: 

• I took the body for a legion moritat and sawed it clean job half at the waist UNDER the belt buckle.
  • The cape and back half of the torso is Watch Captain Artemis with some heating a light bending while hot to get it to curve properly around the legs.
  • The front is just a basic Aquila torso jacked up with a hobby knife.
  • Left arm is a standard MKVII extended arm with a Tartaros Storm bolter (from the FW kit) on the end. I THINK it’s one of the Devastator arms.
  • The right arm... phew. It started life with the sword from a Sanguinary Guard. I removed the top hand and replaced the rest of the hilt with the end of a Custodes Magisterium (I’m not as satisfied with that finished look, but it works).
  • I cut the blade off beneath the hilt and replaced it with a random FW sword I had in the bits box.
  • I then went to work making the arm work with the torso and the “resting” which was just a lot of slicing and turning.
  • The right shoulder pad is from the metal GW Night Lords upgrade kit.
  • The left shoulder if from the FW Legion Champion, with the cross cut off, the edge rebuilt around a tiny little skull.
  • Helmet is a FW MKV helmet with the bottom nub filed off for the rune.
  • Backpack is a normal MKIV backpack.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks all! 

Work continues, though the end is in sight! Then again, I also said that about my Imperial Fists in 2010... 

Just an VIII Legion Heavy Support Squad. Mishmashed parts from elsewhere in the bitz box to fill it out. Pleased with the results.

vQbI7bM.png

Theoretically, I can use them as "counts-as" in my 40K list, since up until recently there was no such things as a Volkite, but they're different enough to everything else that I think I'm okay.

I really liked doing this pose. Doing black shoulder pads for this unit also let me use the red decals a little more easily. This is "Coffin Rune + Two Red Hands" squad. I like how they ended up.

LtlGzeu.png?1

The sergeant got some slightly different heraldry, but I like how it ended up.

gbaw9v8.png?1

Did not enjoy bending the ammo feeds to fit. Will not be doing THAT again!

• 6 months later...

Thanks guys! 

Well after a hard few weeks, including one with... not a lot of power... and much snow, I've completed a Leviaithan Dreadnaught for my Night Lords. The Mad Lord, Captain Kadar. 

MnE0mPz.png

Captain Verikas Kadar, born of Nostramo, was a massive individual fond of decisive but crushing actions and often known for saying "Intimidation merely fear through known and visible strength of arms." Critically wounded during the opening action of the Carinae Retribution. Personally chosen by Kurze to be placed into the first Leviathan Dreadnaught made available to the legion so that he could continue the pacification of the world, Mechanicum adepts, techmarines, and the VIII Legion Apothecarion failed to have Kadar's new form brought online prior to the end of the Carinae action, for which all members of the Night Lords were censured and given the red gauntlets. The Mechanicum adepts were not so lucky for their laxity. 

S9WNmVg.png

Kadar refused to sleep in his sarcophagus, and insisted on full battle readiness at all times, and was often forced into hibernation by the techmarines of the VIII between battles. By the time of the Drop Site Massacre, Kadar's sanity has slipped beyond recovery, and were it not for the timely intervention and rapid redeployment into XIX Legion formations by a Thunderhawk transporter crew, his visions of being overwhelmed by orks threatened to overwhelm him and he his siege claw claimed the lives of at least half a dozen Night Lords in the chaos. 

lrYcVwt.png

Throughout the Heresy, Kadar's form was only deployed via drop pod or other rapid insertion methods into enemy strongholes and rear formations, far from other Night Lord lines. This not only kept his preferred brutal, blunt-force execution of all he could see away from his brothers, but served to create fear through enemy lines, though reliance upon "The Mad Lord" to fulfil any specific tactical goal was not a recommend part of any Night Lords battle plan. 

OanHpOf.png

Last confirmed seen during the Thramas Crusade by I Legion forces, it is unknown if Kadar was recovered by VIII legion forces during the route, or left behind once its reactor died, leaving the Mad Lord to die screaming, slowing in the void. By M41, reports of a Dreadnaught bearing the same Nostraman runes and weaponry the Mad Lord was known for have surfaced, but whether its occupant is the same captain is unknown. 

0gZLuKO.png

———————

I really enjoyed painting this one, but man is he big. Originally I was going to go with two Grav-Flux Bombards, but I decided they were sort of pain to paint and decided on giving him a siege claw instead, which looks good. Sub-Assemblies are the way to go for this guy, and I was pleased with the detail that was available. I did the legs first (including a rather cool base!) and tackled the rest doing the body, then the arms. 

As with the Sicaran, I'm pleased I was able to keep a similar tone of blue on such a large model.