The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

First off, the Ultramarines are no where near cool enough to have lucky number 13 for their legion. It should be torn from them violently at every opportunity ^_^

Secondly, the Scourging of the Five-Hundred Worlds was a huge blow for the Ultras by combined World Eaters and Word Bearers forces. Especially if this lil guy is Kizzdoug's take on Delvarus, who made a name for himself in Betrayer by hammering the unrelenting crap out of every Ultra he came across.

Also desertion and a will-they-won't-they pseudo-romance with Lotara Sarrin, but that's harder to represent on a 25mm base :D 

First off, the Ultramarines are no where near cool enough to have lucky number 13 for their legion. It should be torn from them violently at every opportunity :happy.:

Secondly, the Scourging of the Five-Hundred Worlds was a huge blow for the Ultras by combined World Eaters and Word Bearers forces. Especially if this lil guy is Kizzdoug's take on Delvarus, who made a name for himself in Betrayer by hammering the unrelenting crap out of every Ultra he came across.

Also desertion and a will-they-won't-they pseudo-romance with Lotara Sarrin, but that's harder to represent on a 25mm base :biggrin.:

Well never read that far into the stories..but that kinda clears things up....

Will you be keeping it as snow, or will you be using the weather powders to change the colour?

That's just the unpainted colour of the sand that I use on my bases. I'll be giving the base a spray with Chaos black and then building the colours up from there. I'll definitely be using the powders to weather the base once it's full painted.

What could be more iconic than a XII Legion Astartes standing over a burnt and broken Ultramarine?

One standing over several burnt and broken Ultramarines. But I understand the challenges you face limiting yourself to a 25mm space :biggrin.:

Looks awesome buddy, he just keeps getting cooler!

Ha, a mound of burned astartes corpses would look great. I'm actually using the new 32mm bases. So I've got a bit more space to play with, but still not enough...

Dude it fits my 2x2 table theme perfectly

I might have to see about doing a III marine from Murder myself.

I'd love to see you do a warrior from the III Legion, Murder or not!

Challenge accepted.

Oh, and your World Eater came out beautifully. I think you might have gone a tad heavy on the powder around the feet, but it's real easy to get away from you. Otherwise, great job on your first real attempt at weathering. I officially despise you now because you can paint clean and dirty with incredible skill.

I might have to see about doing a III marine from Murder myself.

I'd love to see you do a warrior from the III Legion, Murder or not!

Challenge accepted.

Oh, and your World Eater came out beautifully. I think you might have gone a tad heavy on the powder around the feet, but it's real easy to get away from you. Otherwise, great job on your first real attempt at weathering. I officially despise you now because you can paint clean and dirty with incredible skill.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the III Legion :tu:

Yeah, hopefully the powder around the feet looks a bit more natural once he is based. I'm planning to paint the base in a fairly similar colour to the powder, so hopefully it will just look like he has been fighting an extended engagement in the same environment.

My first try with the weathering powders was my first 'real' Crimson Sons figure with the cloak and the big pole axe. I started dabbing it on carefully with a brush and thought "Wow, this looks great!". *dab, dab, dab, turn figure, dab, dab, dab* And the whole thing is orange now. I'm sure once you have it on a base with the same color, it'll blend in with and won't look so heavy as it does.

I'd started on an idea for a III Legion guy a while back, and I got some greenstuff curing on it right now. :)

Just checked out this entire thread, my gods! It's been a plethora of beauty and craftsmanship I say! Top notch work sir, please keep it up! The EC are fabulous and perfect in all aspects! The World Eater was a real treat to see towards the end though! I must ask, you say you followed the FW paint tutorial for him, was that exactly as they wrote it or did you take some liberties? I find White (especially for WEaters) such a tricky colour to nail down well >< any advise or tips would be appreciated on that end.

Looking forward to see your next update! ^^

Thanks, everyone!

Just checked out this entire thread, my gods! It's been a plethora of beauty and craftsmanship I say! Top notch work sir, please keep it up! The EC are fabulous and perfect in all aspects! The World Eater was a real treat to see towards the end though! I must ask, you say you followed the FW paint tutorial for him, was that exactly as they wrote it or did you take some liberties? I find White (especially for WEaters) such a tricky colour to nail down well >< any advise or tips would be appreciated on that end.

Looking forward to see your next update! ^^

Thanks, bro! Glad you like the thread :) From earlier, "I pretty much followed the FW painting guide. I just added a couple of steps at the end, such as some 'black lining' with a mix of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade, and some small patches of Agrax Earthshade around the rivets and battle damage." It's hard to tell on the finished mini (thanks to all of the weathering), but I follow the FW guide except that I added some definition afterwards.

Yeah man, that looks incredible, but a dead Ultramarine on the base? You do know this means a dead World Eater on the base of my next marine :wink:

Hahaha, looking forward to it ;)

I've just added the blood to the mini. Thanks to poom for the blood recipe. I tried to keep the blood fairly minimal and only added it to the shield and meteor hammer (and a little bit on the right boot).

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3716_zpsb2lgbfju.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3718_zpsswcnndkx.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3719_zpstcprvfap.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3720_zpsev0kmx7o.jpg

I'm pretty tempted to start a new army using these weathering techniques (no idea which Legion). I just feel that they look so much better than my usual style...

Thanks for looking ;)

The blood on that guy is very well done and understated. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty tempted to start a new army using these weathering techniques (no idea which Legion). I just feel that they look so much better than my usual style...

I'd love to see you tackle a new Legion like this, especially one that we don't see much of around these parts. I think the weathered look has become synonymous with the Great Crusade and Heresy because the Legions had much stronger foes to fight that required a commitment of Astartes in much larger numbers for greater lengths of time than what is standard in 40k. For the most part, Chapters in 40k are reactive instruments of war, brought in to surgically strike specific targets and then pull out while the Guard does the mopping up. Sure, there are the rare big fights that require an entire Chapter, or several, but the Legions were actively attacking almost constantly, and while they would certainly maintain functionality, getting your chipped and scratched armor repainted in the middle of a long campaign would be low priority.

Well this turned out completely awesome. He looks like he's been having a grand time on Armatura/Nuceria frolicking around in a chaotic dust storm for a few days :D I feel like you nailed it just right with the minimal blood splatter. Too little or none at all and you question if they're even a World Eater, too much and it just starts to look ridiculous.

I don't think anyone would complain if you kept producing glorious XIIth Legion models like this one ;) There are a lot of other really great weathered army ideas waiting to be explored though, like Underworld Wars Word Bearers, truly beaten up post-Isstvan shattered legions like this dude, XVIIIth Legion Saturnyne Rams fighting a prolonged and desperate rearguard, etc etc. Whatever you do, I'll be looking forward to it :)

Another one of this awe inspiring Threads and now that I am signed up I can actually praise your work. You have made two of the Legions -EC and TS- i never found interesting to look at more than beautiful. Especially the Emperors children are jaw dropping. Your Paintwork including the latest Pieces is just stunning.

Impeccable as always kizzdougs - despite the complete disparity in style between the appearance of the XIIth & IIIrd Legions, that WE totally captures the theme of his Legion :thumbsup:

Also, you have no idea how much I appreciate that he's a dark-skinned Legionary - I find the endless tide of Caucasian Astartes pretty tedious 

XVIIIth Legion Saturnyne Rams fighting a prolonged and desperate rearguard, etc etc.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/oZrwotPap5NII/giphy.gif

Yes. Please. This. A thousands times this. We need more pre-Primarch armies, especially the Fearless XVIIIth.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn