The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

Guys don't respond negatively in kizzdougs thread it takes it off topic.

Anyway kizz I like the SoH I just feel personally that the green is a bit dark but then again the sea does range in colour

?

We were discussing the topic of which legion he should paint next and why we thought so. The literal topic of discussion right now

I am very happy to see Sea Green on a righteous son! I like the Reavers and all but if this guy is a one off I wanted to look upon your take of the main armor scheme. And it does not disappoint.

I also see a lot about going back and forth on what Legion you should do. Frankly, after seeing your work I do not think there is one you cannot do.

Ermagerd that SoH is beautiful. I totally get your need to experiement, but as has been said by others, the SoH just lends itself to your style so much better. So please, finish a squad of five of those Wolves, indulge your diversion - get it out of your system. And then please paint an army of those Sons of Horus. 

I've done the sponge weathering on the Son of Horus and painted the eyes. Now I'm just trying to decide which weathering powder to use. The Black Soot or the Aged Rust. I'm also going to add some blood to the chainsword...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3888_zps43prnxx5.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3889_zpsk4uafp77.jpg

And a side by side pic. Both minis are at the same stage (pre weathering powder).

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3890_zpscy8x7ene.jpg

I like that. How did you paint the sea green?

Thanks, bro! The armour is Kabalite Green washed with Coelia Greenshade. Super simple.

Lovely sea green. I'm glad I guilted you :tongue.:

Haha, me too. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

That Space Wolf is rather nice, but that SOH...wow. Utterly amazing looking, it just pops in the right way. My only worry is you might get bored as he is in the same clean style as your Emp's Children, and I get the impression you'd like to experiment.

Thanks, mate! I'll be experimenting with weathering, whichever Legion I go with. So the end result will be quite different to my Emperor's Children regardless of the chosen scheme.

STICK TO SOH!!

That test mini is amazing!

Thank, dude! Glad you like the SoH.

I'm digging the SoH dude, feels like your style and all that for sure. Vylka Fenryka still gets my vote though, just because it feels like such a violent gritty contrast to your Emperor's Children. Also I love the gray you did.

Thanks for the vote, bro. I'm still undecided at this stage. I think I'll probably need to properly finish each of the test minis before I can get a proper appreciation of the relevant schemes/looks.

I like your SoH Legionnaire, but the VIth Legion still gets my vote for the reasons Heinrich posted above.

Thanks for the vote, Dos!

What the above two said. Really nice colour on the SoH, but the Wolf was just so nice.

Thanks for the input, bro!

Very nice paint job on the SoH. The eye is awesome. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the green? The headdress and the chainsword aren't part of the BaC box, right?

Thanks, mate! The green is Kabalite green washed with Coelia Greenshade. The chainsword is from the Chaos Space Marine set and the topknot is from the Space Wolves kit (a Wolf Scout head to be precise).

I'm a bit up and down on my opinion with the Space Wolf. On the one it's well pa inter and looks pretty good. But it doesn't really look like a Space Wolf to me. It's feel a little too dark. I think that colour scheme would work really well for a unit of destroyers, but for normal marines the grey needs to be a shade lighter. Just my two cents.

Your Prospero diorama, and Reaver are outstanding though. Based on the test models I'd say go with the Sons. You could even theme the army alongside your loyalist EC. A few trophies etc;

Keep up the good work Kizz!

Thanks, dude! Yeah, I've been considering painting the armour with Dawnstone instead of Mechanicum Standard Grey. That would make it a bit lighter. 

And thanks for the kind words regarding the diorama. Hopefully the judges like it.

The Sons of Horus looks vibrant and beautiful, but I'm still going to throw my vote behind The Wolves. The grey of the wolf you painted is just so ominous, they eyes are striking and, I think tackling the Rout gives you a lot of freedom when it comes to modeling and minor conversion to infuse character into each model. The Rout is the army I want to see you tackle.

Thanks for the vote, bro! I feel like you might have an ulterior motive, though... ;)

As a few others have said, the SoH lends itself far better to your style. That being said I think you should do the wolf as going outside your comfort zone is how you get better 

Thanks for the vote, bro! Both Legions are very different to my Emperor's Children, but you're right that the Wolves are the most different.

I think that you should do the Sons of Horus, because they suit your style so well. The Wolf is nice, and people have made fair points for doing such, but I love the Sons of Horus and your test miniature is awesome. But I'm definitely in the minority, so you'll probably end up doing the Wolves, which I also look forward too.

Thanks for the vote, bro! I'm really enjoying painting the SoH, it's been a good experience so far.

Beautiful model, and I'm glad you did the eye in the centre of the chest! 

Thanks, mate! I knew I had to get the eye of Horus in there somewhere.

I have to agree with everyone else here man your SoH looks stunning. I reall hope to see more.
One the model has been weathered any chance you could post or PM a tutorial?

Thanks, bro! What kind of tutorial are you after? Weathering?

Your models have a distinct cleaness that makes them stand out from the rest I would advise you to keep up with those sharp colours instead of weathering it's what adheres more to your style I think.

Thanks for the suggestion, bro. I'll always keep adding clean marines to my Emperor's Children, but I just want to try something a little bit different.

Bloody beautiful! For me this edges past the VI with the current schemes.

Thanks, dude! Glad you like him.

Guys don't respond negatively in kizzdougs thread it takes it off topic.

Anyway kizz I like the SoH I just feel personally that the green is a bit dark but then again the sea does range in colour

Thanks, bro! I'm more than happy for people to express conflicting opinions in my thread, as long as they stay civil and respect each other.

Wow... Dat SoH... Somehow you have a Son of Russ questioning his life decisions.

Hahaha, surely not... :P

I am very happy to see Sea Green on a righteous son! I like the Reavers and all but if this guy is a one off I wanted to look upon your take of the main armor scheme. And it does not disappoint.

I also see a lot about going back and forth on what Legion you should do. Frankly, after seeing your work I do not think there is one you cannot do.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! If I can't decided on one of the Legions I'm working on now I might try out some other schemes.

Too dark or not that wolf rules and how I'd paint wolves if I ever tried doing them again.

Glad to hear it bro! 

Thanks for looking ;)

They both look brilliant and no matter which Legion you choose I'm sure everyone here can agree, you'll do them justice.

Thanks a lot, dude! Hopefully I can do them justice :)

I'm just gonna say that the fairest compromise between the SoH and Space Wolves is....the Luna Wolves. Do them. You know you want to.

Do it.

Do it.

Dooooo eeeettt!

Hahaha, Luna Wolves would be pretty cool, but it's not going to happen at this stage. After painting my loyalist Emperor's Children I want to paint a force that is firmly set within the Heresy.

What amazes me with your painting is how simple your schemes are, it ahows you don't need complex paint schemes are fancy equipment you just need to practise. Your a very talented guy.

Yeah, my painting style has been massively simplified over the years. When I started out I used to take ages painting every single mini with multiple, subtle highlights. In general I used to put more effort into my painting than I do these days. The results were great, but super slow. In the last 4-5 years I've really simplified my stye and now have three fully painted armies (CSM, Warriors of Chaos, and the Emperor's Children), two of which (the Warriors of Chaos and Emperors Children) are painted to a level that I'm happy with. I would never have been able to finish those armies if I hadn't simplified my methods. Sometimes I mourn the fact that I don't put in the same level of effort anymore, but having fully painted armies is pretty nice.

Hey kizz did the he shade give the sea green that glow/metallic look or is that the lighting? Love it either way.

I second the Vlka comments. I think your masterful use of bits and posing would be a nice contrast to the emperor's children. The hearthworld calls Kizz!!!!

Regardless though I look forward to either.

Edited by jimbo13

Mate they look great. I think they both have there own appeal the wolf looks like he's been in a firefight for a week on prosperro the weathering is amazing and I think I prefer the darker weathering . The SOH well let's just say I'm a fan really great :)

Just finished the Son of Horus Veteran. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. Every time I use the weathering powders I like them more and more. Let me know what you think.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3891_zps4hr6vlvz.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3892_zpsdwba0fwx.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3893_zpsjli43e3b.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3894_zpsrkiwnccn.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3895_zpsyicwlzvd.jpg

Oh God please pick Vlka Fenryka. A full force of dudes who look like yours would be mind blowing. To me he knocks the Sons of Horus dude outta the park.

I'll have to base him up and see how I feel. At this stage the Son of Horus has been much more satisfying to paint, but then again the SW isn't finished yet. Maybe it's just because I'm not that happy with the armour colour.

I'd have to agree, I love the menace you managed to portray in the Wolf.

Thanks, dude! I'll try to get him finished soon :)

Hey kizz did the he shade give the sea green that glow/metallic look or is that the lighting? Love it either way.

I second the Vlka comments. I think your masterful use of bits and posing would be a nice contrast to the emperor's children. The hearthworld calls Kizz!!!!

Regardless though I look forward to either.

It might just be the lighting or maybe the metallic weathering gives it the strange look that you're referring to. Like I said above, I'm not sold on the Wolves at the moment, but maybe finishing the test mini will change my mind.

Wolves! Wolves! They both look awesome, but Sons have been done in droves while the Wolves are relatively unexplored. For the good of humanity, go with the Vika!

Cheers,
BTB

Thanks, mate! Again, I'm hoping to get the SW finished soon so that I can get a proper appreciation of the scheme.

It pains me to say this, but the space wolf looks more interesting to me than the son of Horus.

That seems to be the general consensus, which surprises me :P

Mate they look great. I think they both have there own appeal the wolf looks like he's been in a firefight for a week on prosperro the weathering is amazing and I think I prefer the darker weathering . The SOH well let's just say I'm a fan really great :smile.:

Thanks, dude! Once the Wolf is finished he'll be even more weathered (weathering powder) :P

Thanks for looking ;)

The Wolf is finished!!

I think the base makes a big difference and like him a lot more than I did before. He is still missing something, though. I think I'm going to re-paint the shoulder pad trim either gold or copper, just to add a bit more variety. At the moment his suffers from the extremely limited (by my standards) palette.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3896_zpsnbasgy1y.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3897_zps3cmnljgg.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3898_zpseev8i5gc.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3899_zpse1w3k9ip.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3900_zpsaip7jr0u.jpg

The two test minis

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3901_zpsev2kxeqt.jpg

And my own mini  March of the Legions

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3903_zpsehvy4eo2.jpg

I love the sons of horus waaay more... The colors just stand out better and the green is absolutely lovely

Thanks, bro! I'm  pretty happy with how the green turned out.

Absolutely beautiful. And I et why you prefer the SoH - it fits your painting style way better.

It definitely does, but I'm trying to fix the Wolf up a bit so that he works better with my style.

At the end of the day, it's your army, mate. Do what pleases you the most :thumbsup:

And at this stage, despite me wanting to see you do Space Wolves, the SoH looks much better and shows off your style :smile.:

Hopefully I can make the SW look a bit better by the time he is done :)

It's beautiful.

I want to hold it.

Hahaha, glad you like him :)

That SoH is perfect, I'll refrain from passing my full judgement until the wolf is 100% finished but my gawsh that green

Don't forget that NL test mini :wink:

Yeah, I'm considering Imperial Fist and Night Lord test minis at the moment, so it might happen.

The SoH has ended up looking great mate. I'm using him as a reference for my own SoH test

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing your SoH :tu:

Awesome SOH bro. I love your work, all of it.

Any more legion colors planned?

Keep it up!

Thanks a lot, bro! I'll probably have a go at a few more Legions, but I haven't made any decisions yet.

Thanks for looking ;)