Great terror marking! From just the picture it no longer looks like a mk IV piece, which is kinda awesome.

If you do decide to do lightning, a little splash across the edge of a shoulderguard or greave is all he really needs. Lightning is cool and all, but on him it seems as if it might crowd the model too much.

Okay, now for the critique - the light bronze you have going on, while nice looking, doesn't exactly scream Night Lord to me. While it makes an effective contrast to the blue, it might benefit the model more if it were a tad darker, with the silver only lightly applied to the extreme edges.

You also have the severed heads just kinda dripping there, with no hint of blood anywhere else. They look good on their own, but the lack of blood elsewhere makes them seem a bit forced in. Maybe bloodstains on the hand/forearm holding the heads?

Either way, great job as always. Keep it up!

That's a splendid Night Lord you've got going there. I'll add my voice to those wishing for some lightning though, It doesn't have to be much but he would benefit from it. It's actually not that hard to do either, considering you skills it should go really smooth.

Yet another excellent update. That skull on his helmet looks freaking wicked! He doesn't need much lightning but it'll break up the flat areas on his panels and will definitely give him some character and don't be scared to spray some blood on there!

Jesus. Seeing that terror mark along with the left shoulder makes me want to rage quit so hard... Curse your freehand skills!

Seriously though, whats your secret? Specific brush sizes? Selling your soul to the Ruinous Powers?

I'm just waiting for the PVA glue on his base to dry before I paint it up and add him to it. I'm going to leave the blood on the knife until I've finished everything else such as the weathering powders.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3922_zpsq8njwkx0.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with the lightning, but it could have turned out much worse than it did. I'm hoping to get him finished tonight.

That Night Lord is fantastic Kizzdougs! I know lightning is part of the whole Night Lords theme but I don't think he needs it. Though I also look forward to seeing how you do the lightning :smile.:

Nemac

Thanks a lot, mate! Hope you like how the lightning turned out :)

You are definitely making me consider breaking up the blue a bit on my chaps! May even try painting the helmet like that too. Thanks muchly for the inspiration :biggrin.:

No worrie, bro! Glad you like him.

Oh yes, that's come out beautifully. Breaking up the blue with the gold elbow armour is inspired, and the eyes and terror marking are spot on. Great job as per Kizz!

So...what's next? 

(Raven Guard please)

Hahaha, we'll have to see about the next Legion. I've had a few ideas but I haven't decided yet.

That's one terrifying Night Lord! Nice skull on the helmet.

Thanks, bro! I'm pretty happy with how the skull turned out. Glad you like it.

Great terror marking! From just the picture it no longer looks like a mk IV piece, which is kinda awesome.
If you do decide to do lightning, a little splash across the edge of a shoulderguard or greave is all he really needs. Lightning is cool and all, but on him it seems as if it might crowd the model too much.
Okay, now for the critique - the light bronze you have going on, while nice looking, doesn't exactly scream Night Lord to me. While it makes an effective contrast to the blue, it might benefit the model more if it were a tad darker, with the silver only lightly applied to the extreme edges.
You also have the severed heads just kinda dripping there, with no hint of blood anywhere else. They look good on their own, but the lack of blood elsewhere makes them seem a bit forced in. Maybe bloodstains on the hand/forearm holding the heads?
Either way, great job as always. Keep it up!

Thanks, bro! That was the idea with the terror markings. I can't remember where I read it (maybe one of ABD's excellent Night Lord novels), but I seem to remember some character describing seeing a Night Lord in low light, and because of the midnight hue of the armour the skull terror marking looked like it was floating in midair (with evil glowing eyes of course). I'm surprised that you don't feel that the bronze is dark enough. Maybe it's just the photo, but IRL it's fairly dark (Balthazar Gold with two washes of Agrax Earthshade, and a highlight of Ironbreaker. Hopefully it will look a bit more convincing on the finished product. Most of the blood will be left until last so that the weathering powders don't mess it up.

Don't worry about the lightning, it's super easy to do. He does need it imo, you have a lot of flat armour plates that need some contrast. If you are going to skip it, then throw down another round of highlights or two

Thanks for the suggestions, dude! Hope you like how he is looking now.

That is properly terrifying. All he needs is a necklace of teeth. And to call him jangles....

Please do Fists!!!! Especially with anvillus backpacks!!! Too beautiful and grimey.

Hahahaha, "Jangles", love it! Unfortunately a necklace of teeth is well beyond my sculpting ability. I've got to say the Fist is probably my favourite so far.

That's a splendid Night Lord you've got going there. I'll add my voice to those wishing for some lightning though, It doesn't have to be much but he would benefit from it. It's actually not that hard to do either, considering you skills it should go really smooth.

Thanks, bro! Hope you like the lightning.

Yet another excellent update. That skull on his helmet looks freaking wicked! He doesn't need much lightning but it'll break up the flat areas on his panels and will definitely give him some character and don't be scared to spray some blood on there!

Thanks, mate! I've tried to be 'tasteful' with blood. Hopefully it's not too much. It's very easy to get carried away when applying blood.

Fantastic job on the face plate terror markings.

Thanks, boss!

Love how much detail you crammed in that skull mask! What brushes do you use??

Thanks, bro! The Night Lord has been painted using a GW Medium Glaze brush (including all of the detail). I have finer detail brushes but I generally prefer a larger brush as long as it has a good point. Usually I just use GW brushes or cheap craft shop brushes. There are definitely much better brushes out, but I get by.

Skip the lightning.

Sorry, bro. I hope you can forgive me...

Jesus. Seeing that terror mark along with the left shoulder makes me want to rage quit so hard... Curse your freehand skills!

Seriously though, whats your secret? Specific brush sizes? Selling your soul to the Ruinous Powers?

Hahahaha, there's no secret really, I've just been painting for a few years now and I have a very steady hand.

Thanks for looking ;)

Dammit, you ninja'd my reply.

You did do everything I was going to suggest though - gore on the cloth and heads and make the terror marking less crisp/add depth. (the gore looks fricking disgusting btw, VERY gritty :thumbsup: Also, that terror marking is possibly the best one I've ever seen. Wow

I love where you went with the ronze on the shoulders and knee. That was a good move. 

The lightning... yeah. On his upper leg it's ok, but on his shoulder I agree you, when you say you're not entirly satisfied. It could also be the angle of the pic, and the lighting being distorted by the reflection of light, but I know you can do better tan that. Don't take this as me being overtly critical, btw. It's me holding you to high standards that I (we) know you can pull off. 

Overall, though, you make me want to do some Night Lords again. Dammit. :wink:

Love to see the mini finished!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

The Nigh Lord is finished!

"WE HAVE COME FOR YOU"

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3927_zpsob3ujvm2.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3926_zps2n2uubko.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3928_zpsimfuqayd.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3929_zpsihb1ul3d.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3930_zpsw2pvfgic.jpg

Legio VII - Legio VIII

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3925_zpskqgiylrr.jpg

I've also started work on the next Legionnaire.

Dammit, you ninja'd my reply.

You did do everything I was going to suggest though - gore on the cloth and heads and make the terror marking less crisp/add depth. (the gore looks fricking disgusting btw, VERY gritty :thumbsup: Also, that terror marking is possibly the best one I've ever seen. Wow

I love where you went with the ronze on the shoulders and knee. That was a good move. 

The lightning... yeah. On his upper leg it's ok, but on his shoulder I agree you, when you say you're not entirly satisfied. It could also be the angle of the pic, and the lighting being distorted by the reflection of light, but I know you can do better tan that. Don't take this as me being overtly critical, btw. It's me holding you to high standards that I (we) know you can pull off. 

Overall, though, you make me want to do some Night Lords again. Dammit. :wink:

Love to see the mini finished!

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for the constructive feedback, I really appreciate it. It's always good to hear people's honest opinions  :smile.:

Wow, you managed to make that guy even more sinister and menacing with all the battle damage and the lightning. Great work!

Thanks, mate! As usual, I wasn't really very happy with him right until he was finished.

Skip the lightning.

Sorry, bro. I hope you can forgive me...

Well... ok, but just this once.

Hahaha, at least I can sleep easy tonight :sweat:

I definitely need to get some kind of painting break down from you for that blue. It's perfect.

The whole miniature just evokes such malice it makes me think of the ADB books, which I think is the highest praise a NL player can be given!

Yeah, that's about as good as it gets. ADB's Night Lord books are always a big inspiration.

Regarding the armour I was asked the same question on FB. Unfortunately can't really give you an easy break down of the colours. This is what I wrote on FB (sorry about the copy-paste): It's hard to remember the exact recipe because I changed it so many times trying to get the right shade. I started off by dry brushing Kantor Blue onto a black under coat. I then used Nuln Oil, Guiliman Blue, Drakenhof Nightshade, and Druchii Violet in my attempt to get the colour I wanted. Highlights were done with a mix of Enchanted Blue and Mordian Blue. Sorry that I can't really be more specific 

Thanks for looking :wink:

Edited by kizzdougs

The Nightlord looks great. The lightning on the front looks wonderful but on the back of the model it comes out a bit messy, probably due to the weathering, I don't think its such a big issue. If you ended up making another night lord I'd recommend going easier on the weathering as the basing is such a vibrant orange dusty desert that it really overpowers the deep blue of the armor.

(I feel bad saying it, since I almost religiously avoid weathering,  it's just not a skill I have picked up yet, it's on my to-do list)

But I just feel that all the orange weathering on the armor over powers it, especially when you have painted such a lovely deep blue, a lot of that depth is lost with the weathering (powder?).

Imperial Fist looks gorgeous Kizz, fantastic weathering on the yellow. I'm really glad to see you continue with your Legions on Parade. I'd love to see you tackle a Lightning Bearer, you know... if you wanted a mini to represent each of the 20.... Just a selfish thought. :tongue.:

Thanks, mate! I've actually been thinking about painting up a Lightning Bearer, but I didn't want to just tread all over your awesome hobby IP without your permission. So thanks for the permission and it will be an honour :thumbsup:

I take this as a written agreement that you will paint one and it will be beautiful. Maybe you can show me how to weather my Lightning Bearers by example!

That is one of the best Night Lords I've seen, no doubt about it. I can't really find anything wrong about it, he just looks as Night Lord should look in the middle of a deployment. An extra 'thumbs up' for the terror marking as it totally transforms the helmet. :thumbsup:

Okay, the last 2 of your posts shows off the bronze a bit more. Definitely darker than what it seemed to be.

He looks astounding, really. Wouldn't want to meet him walking down a dark alley. Or in a brightly lit room. Or anywhere really....

Next legionnaire?! Time to start the guessing game before you even show us the model!! I think you're working on a Dark Angel or Word Bearer.

Okay, the last 2 of your posts shows off the bronze a bit more. Definitely darker than what it seemed to be.

He looks astounding, really. Wouldn't want to meet him walking down a dark alley. Or in a brightly lit room. Or anywhere really....

Next legionnaire?! Time to start the guessing game before you even show us the model!! I think you're working on a Dark Angel or Word Bearer.

I'm going to vainly hold out for an Iron Hand.  Failing that, I'd take another space wolf...

One of the most badass Night Lords I've seen on this forum. The terror marking on his helmet completely changes the aesthetic of the mk4 helmet. The weathering powder around his legs is a bit heavy for my tastes but that's probably because I do the opposite and almost never use it lol.

Bravo and well done!

Let me just echo everything said above. Kizz, that Night Lord wins the internet today.

Also I just want to thank you for inspiring me.  :thanks:

I had total Night Lords burnout and after seeing you do this mini I actually can't wait to get back to them after I finish my IF list.