The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

I've just finished the greenstuff detail work. I'm relatively happy with how it turned, but I'm sure it'll look much better once everything is painted up. I also did some really basic work on a couple of Thousand Sons torso to make them a bit more appropriate for the Sons of Horus.

I've painted the greenstuff detail red so that it would be more visible in the photo.

9IbNCrt.jpg?1

Also, here is some of the concept work that I've been using as inspiration. Unfortunately I'm not sure who the original artists is. I know that it's from someone on the Forgeworld team, and the picture of the artwork was taken at the 2013 open day. If anyone knows the artist's name please let me know in a comment or a personal message. I'd love to credit them for their fantastic work :tu:

AczzI78.jpg

I've ordered some spike and studs from Blood and Skulls Industry and I just need to find some fine jewellery chain so that I can start adding some trophy skulls and warrior lodge mirror coins. Capt. Jack has also put me onto the excellent Master Crafted Miniatures spiked shoulder plates, so I'm considering some of those as well.

I'm looking forward to putting a Leviathan to use if I could get mine built. If you get some battles in with yours and his new chariot be sure to take pictures and share!

Definitely looking to the Sons of Horus! That is some great sculpt work you've done. They really reflect the artwork in HH book 1 or 2 where there are sketches of the SoH in their fancy armor. That shaved down mk4 chest is the bees knees by the way.

They're such fantastic looking dreadnoughts, easily my favourite. I'll be sure to take some pics when I get around using mine.

Thanks a lot bro! Glad you like the Sons of Horus work. The shaved down MkIV is something that I did for a lot of my Emperor's Children (to add Palatine Aquilas) so I've had plenty of practice there. I'm keen for every mini to look like an individual, so there'll be plenty of playing around with the different armour Mks and such.

Dang I totally would've missed that chest piece if Hushrong hadn't pointed it out. Love the subtle details like that man. Really excited to see these dudes take shape.

Thanks a lot bro! It's been a lot of fun to finally get some more hobby done.

Lookin' good! Lupercal!

Thanks a lot, dude! I was looking back through your Sons of Horus for some inspiration just the other day. Lupercal!

Ooh yeah those are going to be sweet. Going to do them up as Reavers or Vets?

Thanks! At the moment I'm planing some Assault Marines and some Outriders, so I'll probably use the bits on those squads.

Some seriously spicy updates recently Kizzdougs!

Really enjoying the simple but masterfully executed SoH components you've been working on. I have no doubts you'll hit them out of the park when you get some paint in them!

Thanks a lot bro! I'm just about to get the Forgeworld airbrush paints so I'll have to see about a colour scheme once those arrive. I'm still leaning towards a metallics scheme, but I'll definitely try the Forgeworld paints before I make a final decision.

Looking forward to these, good work with the green stuff detailing.

Thanks a lot! Glad you like the greenstuff.

Seeing you do these might just make me reconsider my dim view of the SoH!!

Love the upgrades work! I really need to work on sculpting so I can try this out.The extra detail will definitely create a unique force of personalized warriors! Would also love to see your take on that eye on the gut armor as that just stands out beautifully.

This force you are building, will these be Reavers?

Hey everyone, thanks for the great comments and feedback :tu:

I thought I'd share some of the ideas that I've had about the fluff and direction behind my planned Sons of Horus project. Basically the Sons of Horus will be the primary detachment with an allied force of Cults and Militia, and I'll be building the force using the Eye of Horus Podcast's 'Centurion Mode' restrictions.

The loose idea that I’m working with at the moment is that a small splinter force of the 16h Legion (Sons of Horus) has been sent to pacify a cluster of worlds that have decided to reject the Warmaster’s demand for fealty (this will be set sometime during the Long March to Terra). To achieve their objectives and compensate for their relatively meagre resources (they’re just a small raiding force sent to harrow and punish worlds that are resistant to the rulership of the ‘new’ Master of Mankind) they have begun ‘recruiting’ the most down trodden and abused dregs of humanity (underhive scum, slaves, indentured and forced labourers, twists etc.) who see the Sons of Horus as their liberators and saviours. Maybe they believe that the army’s commander is Horus Lupercal himself, after all they’ve probably never seen a space marine before, let a lone a Primarch. Their mindless and desperate loyalty comes from a willingness to do whatever it takes to break the yoke of Imperial rule that has oppressed them and their families for generations. This loyalty is reinforced and twisted by the Davinite Lodge Priest (who’ll be represented by a Militia Force Commander in the army) that accompanies the Sons of Horus warband. The down trodden and desperate are particularly receptive and susceptible to the seductive whispers of Chaos and indoctrinating these pitiful dregs of humanity would be a pretty effortless process for Davinite Priest. Of course the Sons of Horus don’t actually care for their loyalty and are willing to spend their lives without a second thought.

So essentially the Sons of Horus element of the force will be fast moving raiders, and the militia elements will be low-tech and expendable...

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of this idea :)

Personally I think it's pretty decent and doesn't clash with any established fluff or the general spirit of the Sons of Horus Legion. We know that the Warmaster sent his emissaries across the galaxy to offer his terms of surrender/allegiance to Imperial Governors, Commanders, and Mechanicum representatives and that there were plenty of smaller forces of Astartes operating away from their Legion on various missions.

I'm also looking forward to trying to convert a Davinite priest (Force Commander).

Love the upgrades work! I really need to work on sculpting so I can try this out.The extra detail will definitely create a unique force of personalized warriors! Would also love to see your take on that eye on the gut armor as that just stands out beautifully.

This force you are building, will these be Reavers?

Thanks bro! The large eye on the gut armour is a great idea. I think I'll give it a go in my next batch of bits. I recon cutting up a MkIV chest piece would be the way to go.

No Reavers planned, but the force will be a quick moving force so there'll be Assault Marines and Outriders at least.

Love the upgrades and how they convey their Legion without going overboard. Perfect for rank and file.

Thanks a lot bro! It's difficult to give them the right level of detail so that they're obviously Sons of Horus, but not so overboard that they'll look strange when mixed in with regular Calth and Prospero bits.

I am now grumpy that I didn't know about those spike/stud shoulderpads.

Yeah, they're pretty good. I'm pretty tempted to get some.

Thanks for looking ;)

Just thought I'd share this fantastic piece of art from one of my favourite artists on Instagram, @mikhailsavier.

If Games Workshop released Emperor's Children minis like this I would lose my mind! I'd drop everything else and start a late Heresy EC force straight away.

zTQXCND.png

i9fnjIt.png

Excellent work on the Sons of Horus conversions so far -- judging by your previous projects, this should once again be a treat! :)

Seeing how you like - and linked - that EC artwork, do you know the Emperor's Children models converted by David de Abreu/Daouide? Because they are really close in design to those illustrations.

I agree with you mate, I might have to give up on my loyalist EC if these bad boys hit.

I think it is highly likely we will get new EC plastics, given the art of the DG codex matched in well with the mini's this is a good start!! I'm hoping the release will be akin to the DG range, as opposed to the lacklustre TS codex!

Exciting times ahead methinks!!

Excellent work on the Sons of Horus conversions so far -- judging by your previous projects, this should once again be a treat! :smile.:

Seeing how you like - and linked - that EC artwork, do you know the Emperor's Children models converted by David de Abreu/Daouide? Because they are really close in design to those illustrations.

Thanks a lot bro! I'm pretty excited about this project so hopefully I'll be able to build up some momentum and then keep it going. 

Yeah, I've seen that awesome Emperor's Children project. It was actually the first thing that came to mind when I saw the artwork. If I had that level of sculpting skill/ability I'd love to do something similar. As it is I'll live in eternal hope that GW will eventually give the Emperor's Children the attention they deserve...

I agree with you mate, I might have to give up on my loyalist EC if these bad boys hit.

I think it is highly likely we will get new EC plastics, given the art of the DG codex matched in well with the mini's this is a good start!! I'm hoping the release will be akin to the DG range, as opposed to the lacklustre TS codex!

Exciting times ahead methinks!!

How cool is that picture?! I think it's probably my favourite piece of 40k art at the moment. So awesome.

I really hope that we eventually get some nice new models for the Emperor's Children, but it's been so long since we had a Slaanesh release (let a lone a good Slaaensh release) that I don't know what to think. To be honest I'd expect the World Eaters/Khorne Berzerkers to get a new release before we see new EC/Noise Marines. 

It would be awesome to see your take on that armor. Also, I love the sound of your fluff ideas for the Sons. Nothing is more awesome than raiders who turn around and use some local, disposable muscle. I am trying to build my Black Legion around the idea of raiders as well, trying to gather supplies for the Black Crusade and shed as much blood as possible while doing so.

In regards to that picture I would lose my mind if we got Noise Marines like that artwork. I'm going to finish building my EC army and then they go on ice while I concentrate on my new main force...but it would be so tempting to keep the EC going if we get new plastic crack that looked that good.

I've just finished some more bits for my Sons of Horus...

I took some step by step pictures of the process, so as soon as I get some time to edit the pictures and write up the process I'll post a tutorial for how I've sculpted the extra detail on these bits :smile.:

wHzZuIN.jpg?1

And all of the bit together plus some WIP pieces

UFs8lUU.jpg?1

I'm just conscious that if I don't stop soon my Sons of Horus will run the risk of looking a bit too blinged up... but it's just so much fun...

Let me know what you guys think.

It would be awesome to see your take on that armor. Also, I love the sound of your fluff ideas for the Sons. Nothing is more awesome than raiders who turn around and use some local, disposable muscle. I am trying to build my Black Legion around the idea of raiders as well, trying to gather supplies for the Black Crusade and shed as much blood as possible while doing so.

In regards to that picture I would lose my mind if we got Noise Marines like that artwork. I'm going to finish building my EC army and then they go on ice while I concentrate on my new main force...but it would be so tempting to keep the EC going if we get new plastic crack that looked that good.

Thanks bro, glad you like the fluff idea for the Sons of Horus. I've been going back over all of the Sons of Horus info that I have to hand, and I think it'll fit nicely. I just listened to The Either for the first time and it has got me even more excited to get some work done on the Sons.

Yeah, I'd lose my mind too... fingers crossed that we end up getting something similar to the art :thumbsup:

Ps. I took your advice with the 'gut plate' eye, hope you like how it turned out.

Thanks for looking :wink:

Edited by Kizzdougs

They look great, so...

I took some step by step pictures of the process, so as soon as I get some time to edit the pictures and write up the process I'll post a tutorial for how I've sculpted the extra detail on these bits :smile.:

Yes please!

I'm really liking what you are doing with those little sculpt ! A tutorial would be great indeed !

(As a mikhailsavier's art fan too I can only pray for such EC model so that I could have the pleasur to see them painted on this thread ;) )

Malchy

Alright, here is the first set of pictures that I took while adding some greenstuff detail to a MkIV torso for my Sons of Horus project. Unfortunately it's a bit more of a challenge to write up and photograph a greenstuff tutorial than it is with painting.

This is the finished piece that we're working towards. I've added some thinned down red paint over the top of the greenstuff so that the detail will show up a bit better in the picture. Once it's painted up and weathered it'll look much better than it does in this 'raw' state.

RGVK008.jpg

Tools:

• Greenstuff
  • Hobby knife
  • Sculpting tool (I use an old Citadel sculpting tool)
  • Super glue
  • Sandpaper (the finest grain you can get your hands on)

Process:

1. So I started off with a plastic MkIV torso front from the Betrayal at Calth kit. I'd suggest leaving the front of the torso seperate from the back for easy of access, but it's not essential. I'd also suggest cleaning off all of the mould-lines etc before you start adding any of the greenstuff.

The same process would perfectly possible with a resin MkIV torso from Forgeworld. The plastic kits are great because the torsos come in two pieces which can make it a bit easier to work on and to get the right angles to remove some of the detail on the front. On the other hand I generally prefer to work with resin when it comes to conversions because in my experience it is easier to get a clean and precise cut with resin. Resin is also easier to sand down for a smooth finish (obviously don't breath in the dust :sick:).

ooN2s3D.jpg

2. The next thing that I did was use the hobby knife to cut away all of the detail marked in red (note: the red on the two lower pipes/tubes extends below the bottom edge of the chest plate). The sharper the knife the better (I've always found blunt hobby knives more dangerous than sharp knives).

You can hack away at the detail in any way that you like as long as you don't damage the 'base layer' of the armour underneath. Personally I prefer to start with the blade up near the should and then slice down towards the centre of the chest. If you knife is sharp and your hand steady enough you'll be able to remove the individual pipes/tubes relatively intact. I reused these pipes on a MkIV Thousand Sons torso to add some more detail and further disguise its origins (I'm going to use some 1k Sons bits on my SoH, but I don't want their origin to be immediately obvious). 

Once the front detail has been removed you'll need to smooth it all down a bit. You can use sandpaper for this step or you could drag a sharp hobby knife across the surface to flatten out the area.

eVdcQVL.jpg

3. Once the chest piece has been flattened out and smoothed with some sandpaper it's time to cut out the lower part of the chest plate. I've painted the whole area that I cut away in red for the benefit of this tutorial, but I'd suggest at least marking out the line to cut along with either a pencil or pen.

As you can see in the picture I've also cut out the lower pipes so that they're below the level of the chest piece.

blL09PA.jpg

gjAPy4C.jpg

4. Next I started working on the trim around the edge of the armour. I rolled out some greenstuff and laid it in roughly the shape that I wanted.

Note: when working with greenstuff keep some water close to hand that you can use on your tools and fingers. If you try to work greenstuf with dry fingers and tools it will just stick to your implements and you'll never be able to get the nice, smooth effect that we're after. Make sure that whatever you're using to work the greenstuff is lubricated in some way!

eIbyyTn.jpg

5. Once the greenstuff was in position I used my Citadel sculpting tool to flatten it out (with some water on the tool). At this stage the greenstuff doesn't need to be too neat or exact. What matters is that all of the area that will end up with greenstuff has green stuff and that it's nice and smooth. I've always found it easier to remove/cut away greenstuff then to add it, at least in this process.

oMIEHtw.jpg

6. I then used my hobby knife to cut away the excess greenstuff to create the shape that I wanted (again, the knife was wet with some water to stop it sticking to the greenstuff).

I then left the greenstuff to cure for 12 hours. You could keep working on the piece and try to get everything done in one go, but I prefer to allow the greenstuff to cure once I've completed a piece of detail because it is so easy to touch and ruin one piece of uncured greenstuff while working on another piece. To make this process more time efficient I like to work on several different bits at the same time, in a similar way to batch painting miniatures.

od64uAy.jpg

7. So once the greenstuff had cured I came back and started working on the next piece of detail. I used the same process as before: add a rough lump of greenstuff, flattening it out with the sculpting tool, and cut out the final shape with the hobby knife. I also added the indents for where I would add the rivets/studs once the greenstuff had cured.

Note: I also used greenstuff to smoothed out the pipes below the chest plate to create the illusion that they were properly attached to the armour.

S6SFvMb.jpg

8. Time for the Eye of Horus. The eye was worked on at the same time as the rest of the detail on the torso, but I've decided to show it separately for the sake of brevity.

I used the hobby knife to cut out a circular disc of plastic-card to use as a template for the 'eye'. It's a good idea to use a pen to mark out the circle before you cut it out. Remember that too big is better than too small. If you need to cut it down and make it small that's really easy, if you start by making it too small... well you'll need to start again with another piece...

EYKoORn.jpg

9. I then used some greenstuff to create a semi-sphere on top of the plastic-card template. I used a wet finger to create the shape that I wanted and to smooth it out. This was probably the easiest greenstuff work on the whole piece. 

hN5yx01.jpg

10. Once the 'eye' had cured I used the hobby knife to seperate it from the plastic-card template. I then rolled out some greenstuff into a thin string and wrapped it around the 'eye' to create a border. I also added the rivets at this stage (just really small pieces of rolled up greenstuff) using some super-glue.

When everything had cured I used the super-glue to attach the 'eye' to the recess in the torso. 

RGVK008.jpg

So that's how I did it. It's pretty difficult to properly explain it all via text and image, but hopefully it's of some use to someone out there :)

Looking very good.

I don't know how good your scoring ability is but a few pieces might also be enhanced by adding some Cthonian runes, similar to the marks on Abbadons armour. 

Thanks bro! Yeah, I had a quick try at some carved Cthonian runes, but it's pretty difficult to get them to look good. Resin is definitely easier to work with than plastic. I'll probably give it another go, but I might end up relying on decals and free hand. I'll have to see how they look.

I like Checkmate’s idea, could be cool to see some runes etched in stuff, unless you’re planning on painting them on. Looks ace regardless.

Yeah, it might be possible on the resin bits, but it's a bit more difficult to get clean cuts on the plastic pieces.

They look great, so...

Yes please!

Thanks a lot bro!

I'm really liking what you are doing with those little sculpt ! A tutorial would be great indeed !

(As a mikhailsavier's art fan too I can only pray for such EC model so that I could have the pleasur to see them painted on this thread :wink: )

Malchy

Thanks bro! Hahaha, it would make he very happy if GW/Fw released some Emperor's Children like mikhailsavier's art.

Sons of horus are looking fantastic, I'm really looking forward to seeing them finished! The tutorial will be great too, these sorts of details can be a right pain to sculpt so it'll be interesting to see your approach.

Thanks a lot bro! Glad you like how they're looking.

I’ve seen your progress with the SoH detailing on instagram. Really fantastic work.

Thanks for the support bro!

God damn, dude.

Now I want to resurrect the Sons of Horus that I started and never really did anything with for ETL IV. But alas, greenstuff skills elude me.

Glad you like them! One of the reasons that I chose the Sons of Horus was that I'd be able to add plenty of detail to them and make them look a bit different to a 'regular' Legion force.

Thanks for looking ;)

Oh man! You’ve really knocked it out of the park! And I must say seeing the eye-gut armor go from 2D to 3D is awesome and I’m happy to have a tutorial for it. Just some trophies and mirror coins and then we will start seeing these marines put together?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone :tu:

Really helpful tutorial, I'll certainly be trying it at some point.

Glad to hear that bro! :)

Oh man! You’ve really knocked it out of the park! And I must say seeing the eye-gut armor go from 2D to 3D is awesome and I’m happy to have a tutorial for it. Just some trophies and mirror coins and then we will start seeing these marines put together?

Thanks a lot bro! Glad to hear you liked it. I've already got the trophies and mirror coins ready, I'm just waiting for some chains to arrive in the post so that I can attach them to the armour. I probably won't start painting for a while, but I'll probably start assembling some of the minis. My Troops choices are going to be Assault Marines so I need get my hands on some jump-packs before they can be fully assembled.

Great tut for sure!

Alternatively, you could put in Glass Microbeads instead of little ball sof GreenStuff for the rivets :smile.:

Thanks a lot bro! Yeah, micro-beads are an option, but super bad for the environment... so I wont be using any.

Thanks for looking ;)

A couple of people asked me when I was going to start assembling some of the bits that I've been working on. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for a lot of new bits to arrive in the post and I also don't have access to my bits box at the moment so I probably won't start assembling the Sons of Horus for at least a couple of weeks, so I've used some blu-tack to stick together some bits just to give you an idea of how they might look once they're properly assembled.

rHE0wNR.jpg?1

Some more torsos and power-fist that I've been working on.

8em4nNA.jpg?1

Some detail that I've added to some legs.

RoL9Bhn.jpg?1

All of the helmets together.

WwXcR6A.jpg?1

I hope you like them :)

Looking forward to seeing these bits made into marines! Really interested in seeing how you do the mirror coins as I would like a few for some of my marines.

Also, will you be making any casts of these?

Thanks bro, I'm still waiting for a few bits to arrive in the post before I start fully assembling the minis. For the mirror coins I'm planing to keep it pretty simple. I'm going to use some plastic rod and just slice off the 'coins' with a sharp hobby knife before attaching them to the minis with some chains. 

I don't really have the skills or equipment to make good casts of my work, so I'm not planning to make any at this stage :)

Thanks for looking ;)