The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I've just started working on the next three legionnaires now :)

Beautiful! Especially the eyes!

Thanks bro! Painting eyes and faces has always been my favourite.

Wow - lovely, lovely SoH there, Kizzy. I still love those bases. 

I'm also curious how he compares to the Son of Horus you did for your March of the Legions project, a couple years back. Can we get a comparison shot?

Thanks a lot bro, glad you like the legionnaire and the base. Here is a side by side pic for you...

x1VDpt2.jpg

Lo and behold, the finished model is brilliant -- who could ever have predicted such a turn of events? :wink:

Seriously, though: I am quite happy to see that your earlier worries seem to have been unfounded. The model is fantastic. The base also creates such a wonderful colour contrast.

The one thing I am maybe not a hundred percent sold on are the black rims on the shoulder pads.

But anyhow, fantastic work, once again! :smile.:

Hahaha, thanks bro! Yeah, I'm never happy with my models at the start... It's not until I've got most of the base colours on that I start to feel alright with the paint job. 

Yeah, I'm not sold on the black on black shoulders either. I'll probably go with a combination of black shoulder plates with steel trim, green shoulder plates with black trim and gold trim for the Sergeant/Chieftain.

The one thing I am maybe not a hundred percent sold on are the black rims on the shoulder pads.

Same here. WHy not also do them in gold, like his mask?

I'll be trying a few different things with the rest of the squad. I might save the gold for the unit Sergeant/Chieftain.

Very nice!!! Lovely colors!

I like the barren base, good contrast.

Maybe they are in combat with my Blackshields, we got similar earth colors. :biggrin.:

Thanks bro! I'm pretty happy with how the base turned out. Usually I wouldn't push the colour that far, but I'm really happy with how it went. 

Yeah, he could definitely be on clean up/Blackshield purging duty...

Painted marine is phenomenal! Looking forward to more of his squadmates!

Thanks, bro! Working on them now...

Just WOW, such fantastic colors on that SoH! Love the kill tally on his shoulder pad too! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks a lot bro! Glad you like the kill markings.

A sea green recipe, please brother :smile.: I know of some sea elves that will need it...  :tongue.: Loooks great by the way

Hmmmm, I don't know if I can sanction a colour scheme for those abominations...

It's Lupercal Green over a black/grey/white pre-shade and darkened in the recesses with Coelia Greenshade.

Freaking love it. Great amount of detailing, painting superb, par for the course :biggrin.:

Thanks a lot bro! Glad you like how it turned out.

Thanks for looking ;)

So, it turns out that 'sea-green' is a pretty difficult colour to photograph... it either comes out too blue or too green. These pictures are slightly on the green side, but as close as I could manage. They're also slightly darker than the test mini (but not too much darker) :)

W30F1J0.jpg

x20m91K.jpg

UhdvUon.jpg

snq0DSF.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out so far. I've just primed the shoulder-plates and hopefully I'll be able to get them finished tomorrow.

Thanks for the comparison shot! Would you hate me if I said I actually prefer your original colour scheme? :ohmy.:

No worries bro! What about the new scheme? I think it's somewhere between the two other schemes. I'll take some more comparison pictures once the minis are finished.

The comparison is great. I think the newer one looks better the armour has a lot more texture and depth to it. The brighter hugh really add to it. The extra gs work and kitbashing really makes him stand out too. Amazing work all round!!!

The level of skill and detail on the new mini definitely out strips the 'March of the Legions' iteration. Hopefully you also like the latest marines.

I like both for different reasons. The new stuff though is more eye-catching I think because of the color.

Is Lupercal green a FW color?

Yeah, the Lupercal Green is from Forgeworld, and has therefore been discontinued. As soon as I heard that Forgeworld were going to stop making their airbrush paints I ordered a few more pots of the Lupercal Green so that I'd have enough for the project.

Hey Kieron, do you have any tips for a suitable replacement green, now that Lupercal Green is now more?

I nearly bought some when I was in WHW last week but didn't as I'd thought they would be around forever!

You might still be able get some on the Forgeworld website... otherwise, I like Kabalite Green shaded with Coelia Greenshade as an alternative. That's how I painted this legionnaire:

rXx6LQ8.jpg

Thanks for looking ;)

That's it! I need to learn how to sculpt so I can properly steal ideas from you!

*I've stolen a painting recipe and now I'm after your SoH. I may try to copy some poses for BL Berzerkers though.

Sucks to hear they are discontinuing the paint but glad you have some for these glorious warriors!

Looking amazing, Kizzdougs! I have actually stolen some of your GS sculpts for a SoH casualty, and they really turn any normal marine into a Son of Horus (there are a couple WIP pictures in my thread in the AoD). When I get to paint it, I wil surely try your March of the Legions scheme, it is really great. Looking forward to more progress on these SoH!

Kizzdougs, your work has always inspired me, but these Sons of Horus with each individual marine customized to the smallest detail must be one of the most amazing projects I have seen so far regarding the Horus Heresy.

Edited by okonomiyakimarine

I might be sounding like a broken record here, but those Sons of Horus are freaking incredible! Next level stuff!

Personally speaking, I actually prefer your updated colour scheme! The one for the old tester model is rather lovely, but the new one is arguably closer to actual SoH colours.

More please! :)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

That's it! I need to learn how to sculpt so I can properly steal ideas from you!

*I've stolen a painting recipe and now I'm after your SoH. I may try to copy some poses for BL Berzerkers though.

Sucks to hear they are discontinuing the paint but glad you have some for these glorious warriors!

With sculpting, my number one piece of advice would be to keep it simple. Straight lines and flat surfaces are probably the easiest way to go and are a good way to start :tu:

I know your pain! My Alpha Legion have a gorgeous candy green to blue fade but my camera is "lol these are green"...

Hahaha, yeah it can be pretty frustrating... :P

This might be my favorite rendition of the famed sea green. You can really see your skill on display here, man. Really loving these guys!

Thanks a lot bro! Really glad you like how they're looking :)

Looking amazing, Kizzdougs! I have actually stolen some of your GS sculpts for a SoH casualty, and they really turn any normal marine into a Son of Horus (there are a couple WIP pictures in my thread in the AoD). When I get to paint it, I wil surely try your March of the Legions scheme, it is really great. Looking forward to more progress on these SoH!

Thanks bro! Good to hear that you've had a go at the green-stuff detail. Good luck with the colour scheme :tu:

Kizzdogs, your work has always inspired me, but these Sons of Horus with each individual marine customized to the smallest detail must be one of the most amazing projects I have seen so far regarding the Horus Heresy.

Thanks for the kind words bro! I'm really trying to make these Sons of Horus special, so it's great to hear that people like how they're looking :)

Thanks for looking ;)

Almost done! I just need to weather the Raven Guard shoulder plate and add the weathering powder.

oB65TUk.jpg

I hope you like the progress :tu:

Excellent work as ever, the lenses and gems are especially striking.

Thanks a lot bro! I've always enjoyed painting eyes and lenses :)

Thanks for looking ;)

Three more Sons of Horus finished! 

I'll probably added either a crest or topknot to the Sergeant's helmet depending on whether I decided to give them jump-packs or not. 

Note: the power pack is just a stand in at the moment. These legionnaires will probably be part of a Legion Assault Squad or Reaver Attack Squad with jump-packs, I just need to figure out how I want them to fit into my army list before I decide whether or not to paint up the jump-packs.

4SYcI3r.jpg

KjMZbXJ.jpg

KjMZbXJ.jpg

EuHKhtw.jpg

1i4Y2Qq.jpg

QcJxjWa.jpg

VLFUFPs.jpg

Uk4TcWc.jpg

srrEzXl.jpg

zLsJ9X8.jpg

Ncdxn8A.jpg

The old and the new

fhrV5PM.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. Let me know what you think :)

Sweet! :biggrin.:

Thanks!

Sons of Horus are looking incredible, really nice use of parts and your additions really add a ton of character! These are without a doubt the best sons of Horus I've ever seen, keep up the good work! 

Thanks for the kind and generous words! Glad you like the additional details that I've added to each warrior. I had heaps of fun working on the different bits for each mini.

That looks glorious!

Thanks a lot bro!

Excellent work as usual. I feel like the brass and silver trim on the pads works far better than black you used on the test model.

Yeah, adding a bit more colour really helps, even if it's just a dark metal colour.

These guys are absolutely rad.

Thanks a lot dude!

Fantastic work! 

Thanks bro, glad you like them.

Thanks for looking ;)