The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Loving the alternate head! He does look like a grizzled veteran! The topknot certainly gives him a mini Abaddon vibe! I think the head itself is more 'aged' than the bionic head as befits a veteran commander!

Exceptional painting as always!

Thanks a lot bro! Yeah, I'm really liking this new head. I'd been saving it my bits box since I first bought it back in 08-09 waiting for the perfect project. This might be it.

I think he looks better with a bare head,  gives a bit more character to the... well... character :sweat:

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how it's looking. Plenty of character.

Oh yeah, that sneer and the top knot rocks! I agree with GrandMagnus that it gives the character more character!

I do like the helmet but looking at this set up I love that scarred face and grin he's carrying while dealing death from a bike.

Thanks a lot bro! Yeah, I'm leaning towards this head at the moment, but I'll wait until everything else is finished before I make a final decision.

That's easily one of my favourite GW faces, so a thumbs up from me :wink: Funnily enough, while the topknot is certainly a fluffy addition, I can't help feeling the head works even better without it -- the character seems more shrewd and sinister, for some reason...

Yeah, me too. I've had it in my bits box since the Chaos Terminator Lord first went on sale back in 08-09 (I think). Seemed like the perfect opportunity to give it some paint.

Love the trophy rack, and the gold instead of green on the upgrade torso. Just noticed the decal glyph you slid onto the shoulder, absolutely seamless. Please post an updated group shot soon, I'm drooling over these

Thanks a lot bro! I used six seperate glyph decals on the mini (one on each leg, wrist, and shoulder-plate). 

Thanks for looking ;)

Base Tutorial: Part 2

Painting

Time to get some paint on the base!

Underlined text = the basic information.

Regular text = additional information/suggestions/personal commentary.

Tools:

Old paint brush

Dry brush

Airbrush (optional)

Materials:

Kalahari Orange (Scale 75)

Flash Gitz Yellow

White

Agrax Earthshade

Age Rust weathering powder (Forge World)

Vallejo matt varnish

Optional Paints:

Vallejo Metals Gunmetal Grey

Nuln Oil

Drakenhof Nightshade

Stormhost Silver

VuWGXzV.jpg

I start off by priming the base with Chaos Black spray from GW. Make sure everything is given a good coat of the primer and I always go back over it with some black paint and a paint brush to make sure I get any bits that might have been missed by the spray (under the rocks etc.). You could use just about any primer for this stage, although I’d probably suggest either black or grey (in my opinion black is the way to go because we’ll be painting the base rim black anyway).

GedX1pq.jpg

Now it’s time to add some colour. I’ve used Kalahari Orange as the base colour for my bases. You could airbrush this on if you wanted to and it’s probably the way to go if you’re going to be painting a lot of bases, but I used and old paint brush for this base because it allowed me get the paint on nice and thick. It took a couple of coats to get the coverage that I wanted. I also took the opportunity to give the base a coat of matt varnish. This isn’t essential, but can protect the base from potential scratches during the dry-brushing phases.

DM3rwVa.jpg

For the first drybrush stage I added some Flash Gitz Yellow and white paint to the Kalahari Orang (about 1/2/4). It’s difficult to give an exact ratio of the different colours in the mix because I never measure the paint when I’m mixing it. I just mix them together until I like the colour…

WzMdizq.jpg

Next up I used the Agrax Earthshade to add some depth to the base. I only used the Agrax around the bases of the rocks and the shoulder-plate and helmet. This stage is optional in my opinion. It’s not essential to the process, but I think it adds a bit of variation and definition to the otherwise fairly monotone base.

lvgwTmK.jpg

Once the Agrax had dried I added some more white and yellow to the Kalahari Orange for a final highlight. I limited this stage of dry-brushing to the edges of the rocks and to the most prominent areas of the base.

Optional

JGQnx2T.jpg

Optional Step: I painted the abandoned shoulder-plate and helmet with a base coat and followed this up with a coat of Gunmetal Grey from the Vallejo Metals range. Once the gunmetal had dried I gave the pieces a wash with Nuln Oil. I then used Drakenhof Nightshade on the helmet and shoulder plate, but avoided the shoulder-plate trim and the face grill on the MkIII helmet (I added a second coat of Drakenhof once the first had dried). To finish the armour pieces I used Stormhost Silver to edge-highlight and add some scratches to the shoulder-plate and helmet. This was a quick Iron Hand scheme that I came up with on the fly.

8oATp2V.jpg

Next I used the Aged Rust weathering powder to dirty up the base and to create a more dusty appearance. I used the powder in mostly the same areas as the Agrax Earthshade. It is also useful for breaking up any bits of terrain that look a bit unnatural or that have painting mistakes on them. Perhaps the most important role of the weathering powder is to tie any foreign objects to the base and to make them look like they belong. Without the weathering powder the shoulder-plate and helmet would look completely unnatural just sitting on the base. The weathering powder makes them look like their environment has influenced them and means that they enhance the overall look of the base, rather than distract from it.

UAZzm2U.jpg

To finish it all off I painted the base rim black and gave the whole thing a light coat of matt varnish through the airbrush. For the varnish at this stage I’d definitely recommend either using an airbrush or a spray-can if you don’t have access to an airbrush because if you tried to paint the varnish on by hand it would completely ruin the weathering powder.

So that's how I've been painting the bases for my Sons of Horus.

Thanks for looking ;)

zqNpvUx.jpg

Amazing, possibly the best SoH I've seen. The sculpted additions look stock and add so much character.

Very interesting basing tutorial, too. Cool to see how the sausage is made, so to speak.

The Chieftain/Praetor is finished!

evUGzd7.jpg

TU5upvl.jpg

w1MjspL.jpg

CZCi7pj.jpg

p7yYimR.jpg

4f7O3mK.jpg

g9RvrYO.jpg

wM6assp.jpg

rE6L6bM.jpg

Gyl9yJ3.jpg

IuHwtOi.jpg

FFrZz1b.jpg

I hope you like how he turned out :tu:

Just did a double take and saw the rest of the decals. You have a good eye for subtlety :wink: makes looking at your models multiple times rewarding. Amazing work as always!

Thanks bro! Between the rider and the bike there are 18 decals in total... 

zqNpvUx.jpg

Amazing, possibly the best SoH I've seen. The sculpted additions look stock and add so much character.

Very interesting basing tutorial, too. Cool to see how the sausage is made, so to speak.

Thanks bro, that means a lot! Glad you like the added details and the tutorial as well :)

Thanks for looking ;)

That is by far, by far, the coolest looking space marine biker I have ever seen. It's just simply amazing how much you continue to improve and challenge yourself. Each miniature you produce is better than the previous, and this guy is just nuts. 

:wub:

I am talking, by the way, about the guy with the bare face and the top-knot - he breathes a level of character that simply isn't matched by the other barefaced guy. The helmet guy to meis a definite nono - I just don't think he does the rest of the ensemble miniature justice. Stick to the first topknot face!! 

Oh my, that biker is just incredible -- I normally dislike the Horus Heresy era bike designs, but the way you have used a mix of heraldry, decals and battle damage to turn the bike into a perfect little slice of the 30k universe just sells it. Fantastic work!

The biker himself is, of course, brilliant as well, although I find my earlier misgivings about the topknot actually even stronger for the finished piece: While I still love the grizzled, haughty face, the topknot just doesn't work for me. Like, at all. But it seems I am clearly in the minority here. I also have to admit the helmet does at least work better than anticipated.

All things considered, however, truly smashing work! :)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)

WOW! These guys are a real source of inspiration! Awesome work, would love to see a shot of the whole army put together.

Are you doing a Long March force?

Thanks, bro! Glad you like him. At the moment the "army" only has twelve models, but I'll see what I can do. I'm not really working towards a particular Rite of War, but The Long March could definitely work.

Just jaw droppingly amazing. Such inspirational work

Thanks a lot! Glad you like him.

That is by far, by far, the coolest looking space marine biker I have ever seen. It's just simply amazing how much you continue to improve and challenge yourself. Each miniature you produce is better than the previous, and this guy is just nuts. 

:wub:

I am talking, by the way, about the guy with the bare face and the top-knot - he breathes a level of character that simply isn't matched by the other barefaced guy. The helmet guy to meis a definite nono - I just don't think he does the rest of the ensemble miniature justice. Stick to the first topknot face!! 

Wow!! Thanks a lot for the kind words, bro. Very much appreciated! Yeah, I definitely feel like I'm steadily improving as I get used to the airbrush and using new techniques. 

Personally I love the helmet, but I'd already glued the bare head in when I took the photos (I took the pictures with the helmet and bionic head before I took the others) so don't worry.

I love the golden symbols on the black plates.

Thanks bro! They were a lot of fun to add.

Oh so good! Anything else planned for the SoH?

Thanks a lot! There will be much more coming for the Son of Horus, but I'm not sure what I'll be working on next. I've just ordered Alpharius from Forge World, so he'll jump to the top of my painting list as soon as I get my hands on him.

Oh mama, that is awesome! The pose and the paintjob is otherworldly!

Are you going to keep the top knot head and save the others for his fellow SoH underlings yet to be built?

Thanks a lot bro! Glad you like him. Yeah, I've glued the topknot head in and I'll probably use the other heads at some stage.

Love them bikers, the Cthonic script bits are the icing on a cake made entirely of icing :smile.:

Mmmmm, icing cake! Glad you like the Cthonic runes.

as always amazing job and always helmet

Glad you like him!

Oh my, that biker is just incredible -- I normally dislike the Horus Heresy era bike designs, but the way you have used a mix of heraldry, decals and battle damage to turn the bike into a perfect little slice of the 30k universe just sells it. Fantastic work!

The biker himself is, of course, brilliant as well, although I find my earlier misgivings about the topknot actually even stronger for the finished piece: While I still love the grizzled, haughty face, the topknot just doesn't work for me. Like, at all. But it seems I am clearly in the minority here. I also have to admit the helmet does at least work better than anticipated.

All things considered, however, truly smashing work! :smile.:

Thanks a lot bro! Really glad you like how he turned out. I wasn't really a fan of space marine bikes in general, but since I started working with the Outriders I've definitely learned to appreciate them a lot more. 

Sorry to hear that you don't like the topknot, but it's definitely here to stay. 

Thanks for looking ;)

Well, a bit late to the party but those SoH are marvellous!

The Apothecary is grand, the balance between green/white with gold as a spot colour is just spot on, and the preator.. Great conversionwork and a very well executed paintjob, I have always liked the Justaerin-scheme with black, gold and arterial red. :)

I love painting bare heads. So much more fun than helmets!

Jesus Christ, are you some sort of masochist?

In all seriousness though, I've read through all of your SoH stuff and it's all amazing. I'm with everyone else here, helmetless smirk head is very fitting and it helps that it's beautifully painted

Thanks, everyone! 

Well, a bit late to the party but those SoH are marvellous!

The Apothecary is grand, the balance between green/white with gold as a spot colour is just spot on, and the preator.. Great conversionwork and a very well executed paintjob, I have always liked the Justaerin-scheme with black, gold and arterial red. :smile.:

Thanks a lot, bro! Glad you like the Apothecary and the Praetor. Both were a lot of fun to build and paint. I wasn't too sure about the colour scheme at first, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out in the end.

He looks so cool! Specially the helmet version looks like a really badass SoH praetor, you really outdid yourself with this one.

Thanks a lot, dude! Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. The helemet was a lot of fun to paint, but I decided to go with the topknot-mini Abaddon head.

Amazing. You never fail to impress and inspire. I need to get my bum in gear.

Thanks a lot, bro! Means a lot :)

I love painting bare heads. So much more fun than helmets!

Jesus Christ, are you some sort of masochist?

In all seriousness though, I've read through all of your SoH stuff and it's all amazing. I'm with everyone else here, helmetless smirk head is very fitting and it helps that it's beautifully painted

Hahahaha, nah, I love the challenge and freedom that comes with painting faces. They're more difficult to paint than helmets (in general), but when they turn out the right way they look so much better. They're also a great opportunity to mix and blend colours to try out new skin tones and their organic nature usually sets them apart from the rest of the model, especially in regards to space marines.

Plus I love painting eyes...

You absolute madman!

Hahaha, glad you like him :)

Well that didn't turn me on to do Sons of Horus at all...

Woops... :whistling:  They'd be perfect allies for some traitor Vth Legion...

Thanks for looking ;)