The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

Yahknoow..... it's guys like you that make me throw up my hands and wanna quit:wink:  Seriously, this is really exceptional work you are doing:thumbsup: I've learned so much about miniature building and painting just by looking at your work..... thanks for sharing.

I'm honoured!! Looking forward to seeing how they [LameBeard's Alpha Legion] go. How are you planing to paint them?

Well my ‘skeleton’ will be your ‘March of the Legions’ scheme, but instead of Tamiya spray I have the scale 75 metallic blue. So far I’ve only used an airbrush for vallejo priming/basecoats so if you have pre-shading tutorial or tips that would be great. Once the base coat is on I’ll then take a view on what green shade if any is required. And black pads like yours but undecided on decals yet. I love the Forgeworld hydras, but a lot of money for one squad! Edited by LameBeard

First off: you have my vote for best SoH green. 

You are a very bad influence sir. After taking a look at those reavers in all their glory I've decided that I'm going to need to build another assault squad and personalize them a bit more.

So you have my thanks for providing some hobby mojo.

Second of all: seconded. Now what am I supposed to do to get back all this money you're gonna make me spend?

Getting there with the latest Son of Horus. I'm waiting for my chipping fluid to show up in the post so that I can start adding some white details on the armour. Once the white is painted all I'll need to do is add the decals and weathering.

23Zefa5.jpg

f3u3hoJ.jpg

sr1APl0.jpg

3UQjENl.jpg

DLEzOjh.jpg

lMRWZN9.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some time to work on it tomorrow :)

Dammit why are you so good :tongue.:

Hahaha, glad you like it bro!

I will never get tired of that green. I really like looking at the bike to see the range of its color from where it is brightest into the shaded parts.

And I now have another thing to add to my shopping list. Another hobbyist did a sweet Leviathan for their Sons of Horus and I loved how it had pyramid studs on its armor. I've tried cutting down plastic and was about ready to by some plasticard in hopes of making my own.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the green. Glad you like it too. The spikes are great for adding some Sons of Horus details without going all the way like the 40k Chaos range and its 'cemetery fence' spikes.

Did you do the shading with the black and white base coats? Is that easier than a uniform basecoat, a colour, wash and highlight?

I primed the whole model with Chaos Black spray and then I used black, grey, and white paint to do the pre-shade. It's not easier, but I think it looks better.

Biker medic ftw. Can't wait to see more !

Glad you like him!

Yahknoow..... it's guys like you that make me throw up my hands and wanna quit:wink:  Seriously, this is really exceptional work you are doing:thumbsup: I've learned so much about miniature building and painting just by looking at your work..... thanks for sharing.

My absolute pleasure! Glad you're enjoying it.

Great work, Douggy! Now are you going to do a proper 30K force or is this for Zone Mortalis?

Not 100% sure yet, but at the moment I'm leaning towards a Centurion style list. I've got my Alpha Legion for ZM, and the Sons of Horus aren't really based properly for it.

I'm honoured!! Looking forward to seeing how they [LameBeard's Alpha Legion] go. How are you planing to paint them?

Well my ‘skeleton’ will be your ‘March of the Legions’ scheme, but instead of Tamiya spray I have the scale 75 metallic blue. So far I’ve only used an airbrush for vallejo priming/basecoats so if you have pre-shading tutorial or tips that would be great. Once the base coat is on I’ll then take a view on what green shade if any is required. And black pads like yours but undecided on decals yet. I love the Forgeworld hydras, but a lot of money for one squad!

Are you just painting one squad of Alphas? If you're planing to paint more than one then the decals are excellent value.

I don't have a tutorial for pre-shading, but if you're using a metallic paint then it probably wouldn't work with a pre-shade anyway. Pre-shades work best for colours that can be sprayed on very thinly and built up so that the pre-shade still shows through.

First off: you have my vote for best SoH green. 

You are a very bad influence sir. After taking a look at those reavers in all their glory I've decided that I'm going to need to build another assault squad and personalize them a bit more.

So you have my thanks for providing some hobby mojo.

Second of all: seconded. Now what am I supposed to do to get back all this money you're gonna make me spend?

Thanks a lot bro! Glad you like the green! Hahaha, see if you can raid a few bits-boxes. I don't really use too many complete kits on my Sons of Horus, it's more a collection of bits from a wide range of kits.

Thanks for looking ;)

Still loving the biker medic. I just had a look at FW's outrider listing as I was wondering where the bargeboard/skid plate under the bike was. Didn't know those bikes basically have a foot rest only. They just became a lot cooler in my book.

And I agree that the spikes you used are much more better than the gw trophy racks (like the one that comes with predators, rhinos, and land raiders) as those just seem like a major 'tacked on' to me.

And he's finished! I managed to find a relatively local supplier of the chipping fluid that I was after, so I added the finishing touches and finished of the base yesterday. I hope you like him :tu:

ZbRVPec.jpg

DvPqwyT.jpg

DCYeebo.jpg

i9RIfo9.jpg

vg3SuT8.jpg

HTXwVVV.jpg

EFGKG9b.jpg

7BtKCGh.jpg

zqNpvUx.jpg

Now I just have to decide what to vow next...

Looking fantastic, as ever, the white is so smooth.

Thanks a lot, bro! An airbrush makes smooth white really easy ;)

Still loving the biker medic. I just had a look at FW's outrider listing as I was wondering where the bargeboard/skid plate under the bike was. Didn't know those bikes basically have a foot rest only. They just became a lot cooler in my book.

And I agree that the spikes you used are much more better than the gw trophy racks (like the one that comes with predators, rhinos, and land raiders) as those just seem like a major 'tacked on' to me.

Thanks a lot bro! Yeah, I had trouble getting his feet to sit flush with the foot rests so I broke them off the model and then glued them to his feet. 

Thanks for looking ;)

Only just seeing this stuff recently. It is World Class. I'm looking forward to the other 119 pages.

Love the apothecary. The lean and shoot pose is very nicely done. I really like the white stripe across the helemt, bike, shoulderpad, knee and backpack. Really ties it all in together as the apothecaries armour and bike, which it a very nice touch. It also makes a lot of sense somehow for the apothecary to have a skull on the trophy chains. The dusty helmet in the dirt is another great detail. The hair is also bang on to convey the momentum. Brilliant.

I´ve been following your work through Instagram, but now that I´m back posting on the forums I wanted to say your Sons of Horus are some of the best I´ve ever seen, and the metallic green works soooo well on them. You´re really inspiring me to get back to my own SoH, I must resist the temptation!!!

Like has been said above the bike looks great. I am especially a fan of how you have managed to evoke a sense of speed and momentum to the miniature. The bikes have a tendency to look very static which is a shame considering the role they are meant to play. The slight angle as if compensating for a curve and the topknot flowing wild in the wind both add to this sense of speed splendidly.

The paintjob is great, I've not looked through this thread before but that seems from what the rest are saying to be the norm from you. The weathering of dust along the vehicle I especially like, and the Sons of Horus markings too are excellent.

I've started working on the next Biker. I think he's going to be the army's general...

Only just seeing this stuff recently. It is World Class. I'm looking forward to the other 119 pages.

Love the apothecary. The lean and shoot pose is very nicely done. I really like the white stripe across the helemt, bike, shoulderpad, knee and backpack. Really ties it all in together as the apothecaries armour and bike, which it a very nice touch. It also makes a lot of sense somehow for the apothecary to have a skull on the trophy chains. The dusty helmet in the dirt is another great detail. The hair is also bang on to convey the momentum. Brilliant.

Thanks for the kind words, and welcome to my thread! If you're looking for a particular Legion colour scheme then I have a list of links at the bottom of the first post in the thread. If you just want to flick through some pictures then you can check out most of my work on my Instagram account, @raptorimperialis :smile.:

Glad you like the Apothecary. I'm pretty happy with how the white turned out, especially the weathering and chipping on it. One problem I have with Space Marine bikes is that it's difficult to convey a sense of movement and they can often look very static. The topknot was essential for adding some dynamism and is in character for the Sons of Horus. 

I´ve been following your work through Instagram, but now that I´m back posting on the forums I wanted to say your Sons of Horus are some of the best I´ve ever seen, and the metallic green works soooo well on them. You´re really inspiring me to get back to my own SoH, I must resist the temptation!!!

Thanks for the support, bro! Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Just so you know, I decided not to go with a metallic green. The Sons of Horus that I've been posting are a 'regular' flat scheme, not metallic.

The Apothecary is looking absolutely fantastic! I wonder whether the topknot may be a bit too fabulous for my taste, but apart from such matters of personal preference, the execution is really stellar once again!

Thanks a lot bro! I thought a topknot would be essential for giving the model a sense of momentum and it fits really well with the Sons of Horus aesthetic. Having said that, it is a very big topknot...

And he's finished! I managed to find a relatively local supplier of the chipping fluid that I was after, so I added the finishing touches and finished of the base yesterday. I hope you like him :thumbsup:

ZbRVPec.jpg

DvPqwyT.jpg

DCYeebo.jpg

i9RIfo9.jpg

vg3SuT8.jpg

HTXwVVV.jpg

EFGKG9b.jpg

7BtKCGh.jpg

zqNpvUx.jpg

Now I just have to decide what to vow next...

Great Stuff as Always. How do you achieve such brilliant Bases in that scheme?

Thanks dude! This is how I painted the bases.

The bases are painted with Kalahari Orange from Scale-colour. I then use some Agrax Earthshade to darken the recesses. Next I add some white and some yellow to the original mix for the the dry-brushed highlights. Painting bases is the only time I use dry-brushing... I usually add about two or three highlight stage. To finish it off I used some Aged Rust weathering powder from Forge World in the recesses to create a dusty look.

I'm going to make a tutorial next time I build paint one of the bases.

He looks great! I was not into those bikes but I’m liking them now.

As for the next vow how about some Justaerin?

Thanks bro! Yeah, I wasn't much of a fan either, but they're actually pretty fun to work with. 

I'm planing to build my army as a fast raiding force, so I probably won't be adding any Justaerin for a while. However, I'm seriously thinking about painting my general in the Catulan Reaver's black colour scheme (so the same colours as the Justaerin, but a bit different).

Catching up on your thread and those SoH are a treat. Lovely stuff.

Thanks a lot! Really glad you like them.

Like has been said above the bike looks great. I am especially a fan of how you have managed to evoke a sense of speed and momentum to the miniature. The bikes have a tendency to look very static which is a shame considering the role they are meant to play. The slight angle as if compensating for a curve and the topknot flowing wild in the wind both add to this sense of speed splendidly.

The paintjob is great, I've not looked through this thread before but that seems from what the rest are saying to be the norm from you. The weathering of dust along the vehicle I especially like, and the Sons of Horus markings too are excellent.

Thanks a lot, mate! Yeah, I totally agree regarding the bikes and their lack of movement. I'll definitely be trying to make sure that all of my bikers are dynamic and in character with the unit. Glad you like the paint job and the weathering :tu:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone :) 
Edited by Kizzdougs

The biker is just jaw-dropping. And such speed as well - just what we need in the ETL!

Well my ‘skeleton’ will be your ‘March of the Legions’ scheme, but instead of Tamiya spray I have the scale 75 metallic blue. So far I’ve only used an airbrush for vallejo priming/basecoats so if you have pre-shading tutorial or tips that would be great. Once the base coat is on I’ll then take a view on what green shade if any is required. And black pads like yours but undecided on decals yet. I love the Forgeworld hydras, but a lot of money for one squad!

Are you just painting one squad of Alphas? If you're planing to paint more than one then the decals are excellent value.

I don't have a tutorial for pre-shading, but if you're using a metallic paint then it probably wouldn't work with a pre-shade anyway. Pre-shades work best for colours that can be sprayed on very thinly and built up so that the pre-shade still shows through.

If it goes well I'm going to expand to a second squad, a tarantula, a character model and maybe even a land speeder to round them out to 500 points.  It's not going that well! I won't hijack your thread with my models, head over to the ETL Traitor Forum and see for yourself - advice always appreciated!

And he's finished! I managed to find a relatively local supplier of the chipping fluid that I was after, so I added the finishing touches and finished of the base yesterday. I hope you like him :thumbsup:

The bases are painted with Kalahari Orange from Scale-colour. I then use some Agrax Earthshade to darken the recesses. Next I add some white and some yellow to the original mix for the the dry-brushed highlights. Painting bases is the only time I use dry-brushing... I usually add about two or three highlight stage. To finish it off I used some Aged Rust weathering powder from Forge World in the recesses to create a dusty look.

A Picture Tutorial would be Immensely Helpful.

I've started adding some green-stuff details to the Praetor's bike and I've also started working on some ideas for a Legion vexilla/standard.

XW0mhsP.jpg

xKrV8VK.jpg

I'm trying to decide on what to use for the Praetor's paragon blade... I've considered a few different options including trophy weapons taken from other Legions. Any suggestions would be appreciated :tu:

Sorry, I expressed myself badly, I meant metallic effect green, as you apply the green at the end while doing the shading with black and white, which is the technique used when doing metallic armies, even though you don't use metallic colours.

Ah, I understand what you mean. You're talking about the pre-shade (which is metallic in the candy schemes such as the Alpha Legion and Thousand Sons, and black and white in all of the other Legion schemes).

Seeing a praetorian or centurion or both in the Reaver's color would be awesome. On a bike or a jump pack equipped I'm guessing if you are keeping it to speedy raiders.

Yeah, on a bike. I'm working on building the Praetor at the moment, but I still haven't decided which scheme to go with.

The biker is just jaw-dropping. And such speed as well - just what we need in the ETL!

If it goes well I'm going to expand to a second squad, a tarantula, a character model and maybe even a land speeder to round them out to 500 points.  It's not going that well! I won't hijack your thread with my models, head over to the ETL Traitor Forum and see for yourself - advice always appreciated!

Good to hear that you're planning to add some more Alphas! What is the main issue that you're having with your colour scheme at the moment? 

The scheme and weathering is great on these marines. Love the basing as well.

Thanks a lot, bro! Glad you like them.

Love the lighting you're using, the green is really popping now!

Thanks, bro! Glad you like how they're looking.

A Picture Tutorial would be Immensely Helpful.

I'll see what I can do :tu:

Thanks for looking ;)