The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :tu:

Today I was lucky enough to have one of my Sons of Horus shared on the offical Games Workshop Instagram account :)

eWHOQNX.jpg

Pretty cool.

Great job on the last thee. Where did you get the empty holster, or did you make it yourself?

It is unfortunate that you seem to have put it on the wrong side. It does not appear as a cross draw holster but is on the opposite the pistol.

Thanks a lot, bro! The holsters come with the MkII and IV Legion Despoiler kits from Forge World.

SQUAD PICS! 

SQUAD PICS!!

SQUAD PICS!!!

This unit is turning out fantastic! Man I can't wait to see more. I'll admit that I had to get used to not seeing mre of your classic EC scheme, as those were the finest Emperor's Children I've ever seen, but these Sons of Horus are rapidly gaining in my personal popularity! So I'll let you get back to doing the last three and am secretly hoping for a contemptor or some jetbikes adorned.... Pretty please? With topknot on top?

Thanks a lot, dude! I'll be coming back to the Emperor's Children sometime soon, but they'll probably look a bit different to my earlier EC because my skills/techniques have improved quite a bit since then. I've started working on some Sons of Horus Outriders, so not jetbikes but pretty similar. I'm also going to be working on one or two Contemptors, but I'm not sure if I'm going to start with a Sons of Horus or Emperor's Children dread first.

As for a squad pic, there is the slight problem that I only have one power-pack painted up (if you look carefully you'll se that every SoH that I've posted so far has the same power-pack)... The squad will probably end up with jump-packs, but I have't completely made up my mind yet and I still need to try to get my hands on some MkII and IV jump-packs.

So I could take a squad pick, but it might look a bit weird :P

I agree with Aug, squad pic!

They do look amazing individually and i bet they will look epic on the tabletop

Thanks a lot, bro! Glad you like them. I'll probably end up building/painting a custom display board for them (Armies on Parade Style), so hopefully they'll look great on that.

The squad is looking sharp like razors! Excited to see the rest of the squad built up!

And yeah, going to order a bunch of those shoulder pads. I think they come on sprues of five the last time I looked.

Thanks, bro! I've just primed the last three Sons, so hopefully I'll be able to make a start on them soon. 

Yeah, that's right. I think I ordered four or five sets of them.

They look absolutely awesome, did you add a blue glaze to the blade of the power axes? 

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I used some Drakenhof Nightshade to add a blue tinge to the axe blade.

Then again, I think you've mentioned what their colour-scheme a few times. Its the normal Emperor's Children and Ironbreaker+Nuln Oil+Ironbreaker+Stormhost Silver for the silver parts, correct?

No worries bro! Yeah, that's the recipe for the steel/silver on the Palatine Blades.
Ah, okay. In that case, for those of us who are (shamelessly) stealing your paint schemes, I'd probably add that next to the Palatine Breachers link on the main page as a side note then. Just so they wouldn't have to, like in my case, go fishing through 70-some-odd pages to find it :laugh.:

It's such a ridiculously easy scheme that it seems like a waste of space to even write it up... 

If you ever need to find a particular scheme or want to know the colours that I've used just send me a private message or write it in a comment here. I'm pretty sure I remember where most things are or could even offer a better alternative as many of my schemes are pretty basic and could probably be 'fixed' up a bit. I'm always happy to help with any question.

Let me add my voice to the chorus- these SoH are amazing and an inspiration!

Now I have a request - put down your paintbrush (audience gasps) and get building instead. I hear ETL 2018 is starting on 1st May and I’m hoping you’ll be helping the Age of Darkness? Apologies if your participation has already been confirmed in another thread.

Also: slight preference for topknot to our right (pic 3)

I'm not sure if I'll be participating in the ETL this year. I'll probably end up contributing an HQ or two, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have available. If I do contribute it'll definitely be in the Age of Darkness forum.

These all look amazing! Id love to know how you do your bases... If you've explained it already I apologize, but they look SO GOOD.

Thanks a lot, dude! The bases are painted with a mix of Troll Slayer Orange, Rhinox Hide, and Flash Gitz Yellow at about 8/2/1. I then use some Agrax Earthshade to darken the recesses. Next I add some white to the original mix for the the dry-brushed highlights. Painting bases is the only time I use dry-brushing... I usually add about two or three highlight stage. To finish it off I used some Aged Rust weathering powder from Forge World in the recesses to create a dusty look.

I'm going to go to the hobby shop tomorrow to see if I can find an alternative to the original mix. Life would be much easier if I could use a single colour rather than mixing three paints together every time I paint a base.

More, please!

Hopefully I'll be able to get some more work done over the weekend.

Thanks for looking ;)

These all look amazing! Id love to know how you do your bases... If you've explained it already I apologize, but they look SO GOOD.

Thanks a lot, dude! The bases are painted with a mix of Troll Slayer Orange, Rhinox Hide, and Flash Gitz Yellow at about 8/2/1. I then use some Agrax Earthshade to darken the recesses. Next I add some white to the original mix for the the dry-brushed highlights. Painting bases is the only time I use dry-brushing... I usually add about two or three highlight stage. To finish it off I used some Aged Rust weathering powder from Forge World in the recesses to create a dusty look.

I'm going to go to the hobby shop tomorrow to see if I can find an alternative to the original mix. Life would be much easier if I could use a single colour rather than mixing three paints together every time I paint a base.

Please keep us updated!

So, a couple of people were asking for a squad pic, but with the lack of power-packs I was a bit hesitant. In the end I've taken a quick squad pick and also made some comparison pics to make up for the deficiencies of the squad pic.

kvzy06J.jpg

KruK3Hp.jpg

td700cS.jpg

The new scheme and the 'March of the Legions' scheme.

xRiuG1z.jpg

Progress report. One of the first Emperor's Children I painted vs one of the Sons of Horus. It's good to see some clear development.

zdSaUp1.jpg

The Son of Horus and one of my Emperor's Children airbrush test minis.

vxJVSVY.jpg

XXth and XVIth Legions.

25uLE1j.jpg

Congratulations, you should be proud and your work is great. Keep it up!

Thanks a lot bro!

Please keep us updated!

I've had a look and the closest I could find was Kalahari Orange from Scale-colour. I haven't tried it yet, but I recon it should be pretty good.

http://scale75.com/1746-large_default/kalahari-orange.jpg

Great stuff mate! Glad to see you got featured on the Official Instagram!

I'm liking the sneaky use of the backpack, you probably shouldn't have admitted that..... I do hope you go Jump Packs, these guys look a little too badass to be footsloggers.....

Thanks bro! Hahaha, I had to mention it otherwise there'd be no excuse for holding off on group pics... 

Thanks for looking ;)

The next three Sons of Horus are ready for their highlights and details :smile.:

bbpRuYa.jpg

uaRhoFW.jpg

YVBWAno.jpg

I hope you like how they're looking :)

So impressive, man... I'm glad to see the XXth again, if only for a comparison. You have a knack for just making colors pop.

Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to getting back to painting some Alpha Legion when I get my hands on Alpharius and some Lernaeans.

Congrats on the FW site feature! 

And that squad... Incredible work! Very inspiring, for which you have my thanks! Carry on, good sir! 

Thanks a lot bro! Really glad you like the Sons of Horus squads.

They look fantastic as a group.

Thanks a lot!

That squad pic has me licking my lips! They are looking too rad to handle!

Glad you like them! Hopefully they'll look even better once they're all finished.

Beautiful! I've long considered Sons of Horus allies next to my Alpha Legion, suspecting it would look more dashing than a man with diarrhoea doing a 60m dash to a toilet, and I was right!

Hahahaha, that's pretty dashing! Yeah, the Sons of Horus and Alpha Legion colours look pretty good together.

Congrats on getting featured by Games Workshop; that's very cool.

The squad you posted looks mean. I'm a loyalist through and through but there is something appealing about the Sons of Horus. They had the reputation as one of the toughest legions during the Great Crusade for a reason. Beautiful work.

Thanks a lot! Glad you like how the Sons are looking.

Congrats for Instagram Kizz ! :wink:

Those might be the better sons of horus squad that I've seen so far ! Great job all around man. Your EC was already incredible but I can't wait to see theme on the same level as those Sons !

Malchy

Thanks a lot mate! Glad you like the Sons of Horus squad, and I'm looking forward to painting up some more Emperor's Children too.

Thanks for looking ;)

AWWW SNAP! Loving each update your post!

Really have to hand it to you on taking all these bits and making them just work for the Sons of Horus. I for one would not have thought that with some work the Thousand Sons bits could look so good for the XVI.

These Sons of Horus are quickly becoming my new favorite models from you (beating out the Alpha Legion, which I thought would continue to stay at no.1). Looking forward to seeing more, and maybe some HQ models too!

Thanks a lot bro! I'm really enjoying working on the Sons of Horus and I'd definitely agree that they're technically much better than my Alpha Legion and Emperor's Children :tu:

AWWW SNAP! Loving each update your post!

Really have to hand it to you on taking all these bits and making them just work for the Sons of Horus. I for one would not have thought that with some work the Thousand Sons bits could look so good for the XVI.

Thanks bro! Yeah, it's surprising how many different Legion kits work well with the Sons of Horus. I recon the Blood Angel heads, Iron Hand torsos and heads, Alpha Legion heads, World Eater heads and torsos, and the Death Guard torsos would all work well for the Sons of Horus :)

Thanks for looking ;)

These Sons of Horus are quickly becoming my new favorite models from you (beating out the Alpha Legion, which I thought would continue to stay at no.1). Looking forward to seeing more, and maybe some HQ models too!

Thanks a lot bro! I'm really enjoying working on the Sons of Horus and I'd definitely agree that they're technically much better than my Alpha Legion and Emperor's Children :thumbsup:

I think the Sons of Horus are more interesting because they read as actual individuals (and from a techno-barbarian culture, at that) whereas the AL legionaries are, for obvious reasons, more faceless and interchangeable. That being said, it's baffling how each of your projects ends up being even more spectacular than the last ;)

Three more Sons of Horus nearly finished. I've built the bases and am just waiting for the glue to dry before I start painting them.

Zj4xwbR.jpg

LOEIJpN.jpg

bU2pVGF.jpg

Thanks a lot bro! I'm really enjoying working on the Sons of Horus and I'd definitely agree that they're technically much better than my Alpha Legion and Emperor's Children :thumbsup:

I think the Sons of Horus are more interesting because they read as actual individuals (and from a techno-barbarian culture, at that) whereas the AL legionaries are, for obvious reasons, more faceless and interchangeable. That being said, it's baffling how each of your projects ends up being even more spectacular than the last :wink:

Yeah, I've definitely put a lot more effort into individualising the Sons of Horus. I did want to keep things pretty uniform/simple for the Alpha Legion and they do look good as a force but individually they are a bit boring (even though it is totally appropriate for the Legion). 

Well, I've learned a few skills recently and I've made the conscious decision to try to put the effort in with this project :)

Thanks for looking ;)

Lupercal!

The next three Sons of Horus are finished :)

1V9tReg.jpg

aSZt93i.jpg

Ipn3RQh.jpg

eoN10ZX.jpg

uVA7xZB.jpg

Ob3Y0G3.jpg

tQ5mGbk.jpg

1XYygai.jpg

4obMh8l.jpg

A comparison between the two different basing colours. Kalahari Orange on the right.

QqUYy1e.jpg

cYz1V2r.jpg

Everytime I come to check in on this thread I find something even more delightful than the last time. Keep up the amazing work man!

Thanks a lot for the support, bro! :tu:

Again, absolutely fantastic. I am running out of superlatives here...

What stands out about this latest batch is the excellent use of SoH decals, especially on the second guy. And the Marine with the dual pistol setup looks like someone you wouldn't want to mess with...

Hahaha, thanks bro! Glad you like the use of the decals. I wish I had used a smaller decal on the plastron of the second legionary. I think a smaller version of the same decal might have worked a bit better. 

Love the decals. Will you be using any of the Sons of Horus upgrade heads? I'd love to see what you could do with those as well!

Thanks! I might use son of the SoH upgrade heads, but I'm not the biggest fan of most of them. On the whole I prefer my own modified helmets, but some of the SoH bits are pretty nice.

Another superb looking group of Sons of Horus!

Thanks a lot, bro!

Thanks for looking ;)