The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

Topknot!

Lupercal Green is gone now sadly. However, I was able to achieve almost the same result with Scurvy Green with my Sons of Horus from Vallejo if you run out. It is maybe a tiny more blue. I ended up preferring just because of the dropper bottle for my airbrush.

By the Warmaster these models are gorgeous. You're tempting me to ally in Sons of Horus instead of Word Bearers for my 30k force.

All of his are - look through all the pages and you'll want all legions :tongue.:

I've been following this project for a while, just been absent for a bit.

By the Warmaster these models are gorgeous. You're tempting me to ally in Sons of Horus instead of Word Bearers for my 30k force.

All of his are - look through all the pages and you'll want all legions :tongue.:

can confirm. if you haven't gone back through this thread from the beginning you are missing out on an amazing journey. Id love to see some of your older EC next to these sons of horus.

Nearly done with three more Sons of Horus! Hopefully I'll get the basing and weathering done tomorrow :smile.:

puR2sZv.jpg

RROMO0g.jpg

vbykXHV.jpg

kTOrV9z.jpg

xskWqcc.jpg

k4HzJZ0.jpg

Beautiful work.
Deffinately topknot to the right. :smile.:

Thanks, and thanks for the feedback!

I love the horsebrush...but the topknot just scream Sons of Horus/ Cthonian roots. Thinking that though I wonder if the sergeant is Terran maybe he'd be more inclined to the Horsebrush he's had since he was an early Luna Wolf. Or he is a Cthonian through and through and wants to rock a top knot.

Thanks a lot bro! One suggestion I got was to keep the crests for the officers/HQs and the topknots for the NCOs/Sergeants.

I think they both look really good - and agree with hushrong that the horsebrush says 'terran', while the topknot conveys 'cthonian'. 

If I had to choose between the two topknots, my preference goes to the one where wind is coming from his left - it adds to the power direction in his stance.

Thanks bro! Thanks for the feedback re: the topknot,

You know what? Where is your sergeants left shoulder pad from? Is that one of those Mastercrafted ones?

Yeah, Master Crafted Miniatures.

Picture number 2 from the row of three gets my vote.

Dragonlover

Thanks for the vote, bro!

Yeah, I'm in agreement. Crest if he's supposed to be Terran-born, Topknot if he's Cthonian.

As to which topknot, I like the topknot pointed towards his right. It adds a lot of presence to his pose

Thanks for the suggestions!

Topknot!

Thanks!

Topknot, yeah. Facing to his right. Blends into the helmet better than the crest does.

Thanks a lot bro!

I love the horsebrush...but the topknot just scream Sons of Horus/ Cthonian roots. Thinking that though I wonder if the sergeant is Terran maybe he'd be more inclined to the Horsebrush he's had since he was an early Luna Wolf. Or he is a Cthonian through and through and wants to rock a top knot.

That is a fantastic point, and a wonderful way of adding a neat narrative twist to a character!

That being said, I am actually torn on the matter of helmet decoration: If you want to keep the "standard" backpack, then an added helmet crest would be really awesome. Seeing how these guys might become jump packs yet, however, I cannot help feeling it would be cool to have them with a sleeker, more "aerodynamic" look and hence without that kind of decoration -- maybe the crest could be something sleeker, like a shark fin or a sculpted crest?

Yeah, whether they get jump-packs or regular power-packs with be a major factor. 

My vote goes to the second photo, top knot hanging to his right.

Thanks for the vote!

I like both! The Transverse helmet is more regal so maybe save it for an officer.

My vote is with the topknot falling to the right.

Thanks for the feedback, bro!

Oh yeah, Kizzdougs, I just noticed something:

In your tutorial lists, your Palatine Blades and Palatine Breachers aren't in there. Just letting you know, 'cause it took me a while searching through this thread to find it :laugh.:

I've just added the Palatine Breacher tutorial to the first post. I couldn't see a tutorial for the Blades... did you find one?

I think the topknot fits better and completes the Cthonian look with the chained skulls and coins, the spikes, the Eye and the symbols. However, depending on whether you'd like to add topknots to other members of the squad, the crest would make him stand out a bit more as the sergeant.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and suggestions! I'm not sure how many topknots I'll end up adding to the squad. It will depend on whether or not the squad is equipped with jump-packs or regular power-packs.

Save crests for your officer. In most of the SoH art from the late Heresy the captains still have crests.

Thanks bro! Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Another vote for topknot. Always topknot with SOH.

Thanks for the feedback!

Incredible work on the SoH, each marine really feels like an individual character imbued with a sense of past and story. Definitely have to agree with the others and say go with the top-knot!

Thanks a lot bro, glad you like them! Thanks for the vote on the topknot.

If this is going to remain a ground squad, topknot. If they get jump packs, nothing except maybe some more gold.

Excellent point, jump-packs or no jump-packs with make a big difference!

Thanks a lot! Really glad you like them. The Sons of Horus are a lot of fun to model and paint and they make excellent allies for the Word Bearers.

Top knot!

Thanks!

Topknot!

Lupercal Green is gone now sadly. However, I was able to achieve almost the same result with Scurvy Green with my Sons of Horus from Vallejo if you run out. It is maybe a tiny more blue. I ended up preferring just because of the dropper bottle for my airbrush.

Thanks for the info! I managed to order a few posts of Lupercal Green before Forgeworld ran out, so I should be okay. If I need a replacement I'll definitely explore your suggestion.

Thanks for looking ;)

Hard to pick a favorite when they are all so damn cool looking! The poses and the paint jobs are phenomenal, bud! The last legionary, where is his helm from? Is it a FW Berzerker helm fixed up?

And it looks like I am breaking my 3rd party rule for those sweet Master Crafted shoulder pads.

In your tutorial lists, your Palatine Blades and Palatine Breachers aren't in there. Just letting you know, 'cause it took me a while searching through this thread to find it :laugh.:

I've just added the Palatine Breacher tutorial to the first post. I couldn't see a tutorial for the Blades... did you find one?
I think I misworded there and didn't catch it. Though if you want to a tutorial for the Palatine Blades... :lol:

Then again, I think you've mentioned what their colour-scheme a few times. Its the normal Emperor's Children and Ironbreaker+Nuln Oil+Ironbreaker+Stormhost Silver for the silver parts, correct?

By the Emperor,

You know youve been gone a long time when you come back to Kizzdougs dropping some hot Sons of Horus. 

Smashing mate, absolutely smashing! First axe man and last in the last post have me drooling to get back into making axe totting wolves...

Edited by DimDim

The latest Sons of Horus are finished! I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out and I've already started working on the next three legionnaires to finish off the squad.

p1wtBTE.jpg

fLt2LGX.jpg

3DoxofN.jpg

mRDqGen.jpg

QLOrfTC.jpg

clIezd4.jpg

Y3Of3oK.jpg

psWK5cr.jpg

M8HP83M.jpg

qlf6v2m.jpg

iAaWhpf.jpg

OwwGF3g.jpg

cRsJXWx.jpg

Hard to pick a favorite when they are all so damn cool looking! The poses and the paint jobs are phenomenal, bud! The last legionary, where is his helm from? Is it a FW Berzerker helm fixed up?

And it looks like I am breaking my 3rd party rule for those sweet Master Crafted shoulder pads.

Glad you like them bro! Yeah, the helmet is based on a Forge World Berzerker helmet (and the conversion work was done by poom). 

Yeah, the Master Crafted shoulder plates are perfect for the Sons of Horus and would probably work pretty well for World Eaters, Space Wolves, Iron Warriors and Word Bearers too.

I think I misworded there and didn't catch it. Though if you want to a tutorial for the Palatine Blades... :laugh.:

Then again, I think you've mentioned what their colour-scheme a few times. Its the normal Emperor's Children and Ironbreaker+Nuln Oil+Ironbreaker+Stormhost Silver for the silver parts, correct?

No worries bro! Yeah, that's the recipe for the steel/silver on the Palatine Blades.

Those power axes look absolutely brutal. Where’d they come from?

Looks like they are the axes that come with the Imperial Fists Phalanx Warders upgrade kit from FW. They are really nice axes, and Kizzdougs painting is the icing on top!

Yeah, Elzender has it right (Phalanx Warder axes). Thanks for the kind words too.

How did you, or rather, how thin and how did you thin your Lupercal green when you went over the preshade? It looks amazing.

Any secrets you're willing to share about the eye lenses?

We need to see a vehicle soon!

I added a little bit of airbrush thinner to the Lupercal green, but I'm not sure that it's totally necessary, considering that the Forge World paints are designed to be used with an airbrush. The most important thing is your trigger control with the airbrush. If you only spray a little bit of paint you'll get a thin look even if the paint is not really thin in the airbrush cut. Conversely, if you spay too heavily with thin paint it'll flood the miniature even though it has been thinned down.

Fantastic posing and that 'zerker helmet looks wicked! 

My only gripe is that first one - his holster is on his right, backward grip, while he's hlding his pistol in his right...

Thanks a lot bro! Now that you've pointed out the holster stuff up I can't un-see it... I think I might have originally planned to have him holding a pistol in his right hand and firing forwards, but when I decided to give him an axe I forgot to change the holster to match the new configuration...

By the Emperor,

You know youve been gone a long time when you come back to Kizzdougs dropping some hot Sons of Horus. 

Smashing mate, absolutely smashing! First axe man and last in the last post have me drooling to get back into making axe totting wolves...

Glad you like them, bro! Yeah, there is something really menacing about a legionnaire with an axe. It really gives off that butcher/executioner vide, as apposed to the professional/soldierly look of a power sword.

Yeah, these are the best Sons of Horus I've seen. You continue to impress me, frater... 

Do you intend to make Reavers or 1st Company? I was wondering if we'd see the contrast.

Wow, thanks very much for the kind words! Glad you're enjoying how they're turning out.

I'm not sure if I'll include any Catulan or Justaerin elements to the force. I was originally planing to make it a small raiding force that operates away from the bulk of the Legion, so it wouldn't make too much sense to have too many First Company elements present. However I was considering making my general a Reaver Chieftain that had broken away and usurped/formed his own warband and I could definitely paint him and his body guard in First Company black. I also want to include some Legion Destroyers at some stage and they'll be some type of black...

Man, whenever I think this cannot possibly become any cooler...

Those latest SoH models are just incredible! The pose and glowing eye lenses on the first guy...! And that 'zerker helmet on the third model! Brilliant, just brilliant!

Thanks a lot bro! Really glad you like how they're looking.

Thanks for looking :wink:

Edited by Kizzdougs

Great job on the last thee. Where did you get the empty holster, or did you make it yourself?

It is unfortunate that you seem to have put it on the wrong side. It does not appear as a cross draw holster but is on the opposite the pistol.

SQUAD PICS! 

SQUAD PICS!!

SQUAD PICS!!!

This unit is turning out fantastic! Man I can't wait to see more. I'll admit that I had to get used to not seeing mre of your classic EC scheme, as those were the finest Emperor's Children I've ever seen, but these Sons of Horus are rapidly gaining in my personal popularity! So I'll let you get back to doing the last three and am secretly hoping for a contemptor or some jetbikes adorned.... Pretty please? With topknot on top?

The squad is looking sharp like razors! Excited to see the rest of the squad built up!

And yeah, going to order a bunch of those shoulder pads. I think they come on sprues of five the last time I looked.

No worries bro! Yeah, that's the recipe for the steel/silver on the Palatine Blades.
Ah, okay. In that case, for those of us who are (shamelessly) stealing your paint schemes, I'd probably add that next to the Palatine Breachers link on the main page as a side note then. Just so they wouldn't have to, like in my case, go fishing through 70-some-odd pages to find it :lol:

Let me add my voice to the chorus- these SoH are amazing and an inspiration!

Now I have a request - put down your paintbrush (audience gasps) and get building instead. I hear ETL 2018 is starting on 1st May and I’m hoping you’ll be helping the Age of Darkness? Apologies if your participation has already been confirmed in another thread.

Also: slight preference for topknot to our right (pic 3)