A Sister of Battle Canoness in Terminator Armor

thade

NOTE: The intended purpose of this thread is artistic. How will I make a Canoness in Terminator Armor obviously a Canoness and not an Inquisitor?

There were already two threads now disputing whether or not a Sister of Battle could possibly wear terminator armor. Don't bother bringing it up here. ;) I'm already convinced that she can and it's going to happen. For the rules-concerned, she's going to be a counts-as Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in my GK army, equipped with Daemon Hammer and Storm Bolter (she gets the hammer with the Psyker upgrade...again, for rules disputes, see my other thread. ;) )

From what I've seen, the most archetypal Sister of Battle has gold-trimmed black armor with cloth bits (shoulders and belt-mounted tabard in the front...if there's also one in the back, I'm not aware). Again, from what I've seen the standard sister in black armor has red cloth. My assumption is that this represents some group/house/chapter...some organization. I really should pick up a codex to get terminology down. :(

One local Sister of Battle player has painted her sisters with black armor and pink/white-backed cloth...I believe I will do that as it will be recognizable locally, but I'd like for it to be recognizable period.

So far I have...

• Terminator chest and legs from the GK Termie kit...while not displaying her anatomy like the power armor does, I feel she can easily fit into that massive chassis without any discomfort. This particular body is the one with the most Inq symbols on it.
  • A plastic Sister of Battle head...the one from the vehicle sprue, with hair and the headset.
  • The shoulder tabard bits from the SM tac sprue...one for each shoulder.
  • The tabard bit from the GK Termie kit.
  • I'm using standard Space Marine Power Armor shoulder bits instead of the large and prominent GK shoulder bits, to help her appear smaller/more slender than the GK she'll be surrounded by.
  • Storm Bolter and Thunder Hammer from the Space Wolf tactical box; the wolfy iconography has been scraped from the storm bolter (it's hand held, not wrist-mounted was the point) and the hammer looks cool with the wolf-heads. (The irony of a SoB wielding a Space Wolf weapon has not escaped me; I kind of like it.) Furthermore, both arms are power-armor arms, which are smaller/more slender than the large terminator arms...helping with the whole "slightly smaller than these massive space marines despite the fact our armor is very similar".

I also have a good number of Inquisitor icons (again, from the GK kit) and - while I can't really see a way to mount it to the model - I do have that giant metal cape from Celestine (my Celestine is a Sanguinor counts-as with big pearly wings on her)...not sure if it's useful (I kind of don't like it).

My question is, what am I missing? What can I do to make this model scream "I'M A SISTER OF BATTLE!" My hope is that some hardened Sister players will step forward and guide me with their artistic knowledge. :)

The globe shaped exhaust ports from the backpack are another iconic part of the SoB figure. Granted these are not part of your typical TDA back but you might consider adding a pair coming up out of the top on the back of the terminator suit.

If you know a GK player (and you can't swing a dead heretic without hitting a GK player these days) you might be able to talk them out of a skirt/drape from their terminator squad box.

The shoulder of SoB power armor is not the same full, round pauldron like the SM versions. I don't know right off how you would go with the shoulder pad look but it is something to think about. Otherwise I like you idea of using the smaller power armor versions.

And you need some fleur de lis. Nothing says Bolter-babe like a fleur. If you can't free hand well (like me) you can get stencils at any hobby place that carries scrapbooking stuff.

That actually sounds pretty good. Just as a side note, the color scheme of the SoB represent which order they're from (a Cannoness being the head of that Order). My color scheme is white with black trim, signifying the Order of the Sacred Rose. The WH codex lists which colors go with which orders, but as always, there is room to make your own.

Just as a side note, the color scheme of the SoB represent which order they're from (a Cannoness being the head of that Order). My color scheme is white with black trim, signifying the Order of the Sacred Rose. The WH codex lists which colors go with which orders, but as always, there is room to make your own.

Thade, the black armor with red robes (may have white lining) is for the Order of Our Martyred Lady.

In case someone asks.

Just as a side note, the color scheme of the SoB represent which order they're from (a Cannoness being the head of that Order). My color scheme is white with black trim, signifying the Order of the Sacred Rose. The WH codex lists which colors go with which orders, but as always, there is room to make your own.

Thade, the black armor with red robes (may have white lining) is for the Order of Our Martyred Lady.

In case someone asks.

I couldn't remember for the life of me which one that was. Thanks for the save.

The globe shaped exhaust ports from the backpack are another iconic part of the SoB figure. Granted these are not part of your typical TDA back but you might consider adding a pair coming up out of the top on the back of the terminator suit.

Hmm, I haven't seen these; I'll have to take a closer look at some Sisters. Maaaaybe I can carve up a Chaos backpack for the job. Those have the old-style, sticking-out exhausts...some of which are nearly globes. Just gotta file off spikies.

If you know a GK player (and you can't swing a dead heretic without hitting a GK player these days) you might be able to talk them out of a skirt/drape from their terminator squad box.

Ah! I forgot to mention; I am said GK player ;) and I do in fact have that tabard for her front. I'll add it to the OP among my assets.

The shoulder of SoB power armor is not the same full, round pauldron like the SM versions. I don't know right off how you would go with the shoulder pad look but it is something to think about. Otherwise I like you idea of using the smaller power armor versions.

Yeah, short of a GS miracle (especially at my middling skill level) I'm at a loss here too. I think I'm okay with the shoulder plates.

And you need some fleur de lis. Nothing says Bolter-babe like a fleur. If you can't free hand well (like me) you can get stencils at any hobby place that carries scrapbooking stuff.

I've yet to have luck with stencils, but fleur de lis seem to be precisely what I'm missing. If I can adorn each of her shoulders with those, that would be a huge bonus.

My freehand doesn't suck but isn't awesome. I'll practice a few times, see if I can get anything worthy. Thank you! And thank you all for the info. :)

Personally I like the Chaos Space Marine Terminator bodies. You would have to spend a lot of time shaving chaos icons, but they have that more decorative look of the Ecclessiary. But working with what you have to make it scream sisters of battle.

If you can replace the shoulderpad outright that would be best. Something with the Ecclessiary eagle and the Flur with a different base shape would be best. Just enough of a tweak to change the outline is what you want to aim for.

The little Ecclessiary rosary they hang from their waists is another good one.

As for the shield, see if you scan score one of the big icons off of the crusader model, or produce a shield like it. Long and narrow with the Ecclessiary icon.

But how sold are you on the hammer and shield? A multi-melta and sword seems the most sistery. Or a heavy flamer and sword. Or a combi melta. Or a power mace and shield. Thunder/demon hammers just kinda scream marine to me personally.

Cant wait to see pics though.

Did I say hammer/shield? I meant hammer, combi-flamer (and/or storm bolter). I'll check and edit that if need-be.

I will likely end up free-handing fleurs. Hopefully it's not as difficult as I think it'll be. :) I'm super into the idea of the rosary, but I have no idea how I'd model it. Maybe a trip to Michael's and the little jewelry factor aisle is in order.

I went looking for a pic of the backpacks when I saw this:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/6129...othic-backpacks

W.A.N.T!!

umm .. OK, back to the point ....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4xL28RCFiYo/TZPB...r_of_Battle.jpg

See the ball with the ring of spikes over her shoulder? That is what I am talking about.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HxE8dRLnkJU/TNDY...insperation.jpg

Even the canonness with the flames on top of the backpacks have these.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/A...terSuperior.jpg

And one more, just because ^.^

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/258...aso-d2yry68.jpg

Huh. Maybe I could give her an iron halo? I feel like I have smaller, iron-halo-like spikey bits somewhere. Maybe my ork bits. Hmm.

and THAT FLAMING TORCH THING is probably what I need!!!! Time to order and butcher that model. I assume it's pewter, right?

The only thing I have to add is that she should have a chaplet ecclesiasticus. All of the Sister models have one - it's a little Imperial Charm hanging from a chain link belt.

Happy to say that her shins have things very much like that on them (from the GK termie kit).

Where am I gonna find that torch?

There is one (Bret player) at one of the clubs I'm a member of; I'll hit him up.

I saw that model; I may buy it outright, but some sisters players have given their canonesses jump packs...so I might luck out. :huh:

A bit of inspiration may be the Inquisitor-line figure: Daemon Huntress. Her background had her as a Sister of Battle that joined the Ordo Malleus at some point in her career.

Consider the WF Brettonian bits with the various Flur-de-lys symbols to add to give that direct Sororitas feel, or paint them on. Other items to give her a gothic feel would be bits from the Black Templar or Dark Angel sprues. Flames and fire feature heavily in Sororitas background and both of those sprues have censures, braziers, and various other old world church style icons.

There is one (Bret player) at one of the clubs I'm a member of; I'll hit him up.

If that fails give me a holler, I'll check my Bretonnian Bits. I've been playing Bretonnians since '98, so I've got a decent amount of stuff I haven't used but have saved. I'll see what kind of Fleurs I can round up if need be and send it via USPS.

Thade,

So you are aware, Currently there are six active militant Orders. They are (in no particular order):

Order of our Martyred Lady (black armor, red cloth boltgun metal weapons)

Order of the Valorous Heart (black armor, black cloth with white trim and all white gloves, black and boltgun weapon)

Order of the Bloody Rose (my current colors) (Red armor, black robes, black and boltgun weapon)

Order of the Sacred Rose (White armor, black robes, black and boltgun weapon)

Order of the Ebon Chalice (my previous color scheme) (Black armor, white robes boltgun weapon)

Order of the Argent Shroud (Boltgun armor, white robes, red weapon)

Be aware, when I say red/white/black weapon, I mean the casing, not the barrel, lower receiver or clip.

If you can, you might want to pick up the decal sheet as it has the markings for each Order on it, or if you're skilled, find a copy of it online and paint it free-hand.

Good Luck and post pics please

@Nic: I might actually take you up on that, but my club is usually pretty good about bits. Let me try them first this Thursday. ;)

Thanks, Eremial and the_cheat; I'm on the fence as to whether to go black/red (which seems the most common) or black/gold/pink (which is the local sister player's colors). I'm leaning strongly towards the latter, as she has supplied me with a plastic sister head and (very soon) the canoness torch bit. ;)

I'm thinking Fleurs on each shoulder plate (free hand...no, really...*gulp*) and possibly tiny ones on her armor as little deco elements. I'm thinking white background for the shoulder plates themselves with trim to match the armor scheme, and black fleurs...or pink fleurs? Any thoughts on that?

Pics are a promise, as soon as I think she's ready. :)

@Nic: I might actually take you up on that, but my club is usually pretty good about bits. Let me try them first this Thursday. :(

Thanks, Eremial and the_cheat; I'm on the fence as to whether to go black/red (which seems the most common) or black/gold/pink (which is the local sister player's colors). I'm leaning strongly towards the latter, as she has supplied me with a plastic sister head and (very soon) the canoness torch bit. :angry:

I'm thinking Fleurs on each shoulder plate (free hand...no, really...*gulp*) and possibly tiny ones on her armor as little deco elements. I'm thinking white background for the shoulder plates themselves with trim to match the armor scheme, and black fleurs...or pink fleurs? Any thoughts on that?

Pics are a promise, as soon as I think she's ready. :)

On her left shoulder there should be an =][= with wings, on the right she should have a Fleur. Also you should put Fleur's on each leg just below the knees. (Or just look at an SoB model for those details). The cloth on her arms should have her Order Insignia. Maybe try to fit a Fleur on the power pack/ Backpack as well.

As for your suggestions, try Gold Fleur's on a white background. base the Fleur black, go in with brass and then gold highlights. Finish with a thin line of gold and silver mix along the highest points of the Fleur

Archived