Expunged Primogenitor Chapter

Ioldanach

gallery_44777_3498_36702.jpg
While planning the sculpting projects necessary to complete my Avenging Lions Chapter, I had some spare time to peruse some of the artwork for the game and found inspiration in several places. The Horus Heresy cardgame included a number of pieces that included the heraldry of the Emperor during the Great Crusade. This heraldry featured a golden eagle head in profile upon a crimson field and was often worn upon one of the small shields upon the chest. While I was mostly inspired by John Blanche's renditions, I couldn't find any decent versions on the net, so I've provided a version done by Adrian Smith at right. The full version of that image includes some Space Marines with that badge upon their shoulder pad, though the rest of their armor is a steel/gray.

So I've decided to begin work on another Chapter based on that imagery.

My goals with this project:
  1. This Chapter is a 2nd Founding Chapter created from the Ultramarines Legion
  2. As one of the Primogenitors, the Chapter strictly adheres to the Codex Astartes

These goals create some interesting challenges, but they're really not that difficult to overcome.

...the Apocrypha of Skaros states there are 23 Second Founding Chapters [created from the Ultramarines Legion] but fails to name them.

It is not certain how many new Chapters were created by the Second Founding. Many Imperial records were lost during the Age of Apostasy, a troubled time that lies across the history of the Imperium like an impenetrable veil. In all likelihood some of the Chapters created during the Second Founding have since been destroyed leaving no record of their deeds. Others have been lost in more recent times and their names are now all that remain of them.

gallery_44777_3498_12116.jpg
So the decision I've made is that this Chapter is one of the unnamed Second Founding Chapters of the Ultramarines Legion, and that they were destroyed at some point before the present time. In fact, my intent is that this Chapter didn't survive long, for reasons that will be revealed.

When the Chapter was created, it had a name, of course. The fact that the Apocrypha of Skaros didn't actually provide the names only means that I have a little freedom. I did some research and considered the names of the known Primogenitors. I also decided to avoid any names for Chapters that don't have an official color scheme such as the Nemesis Chapter (another Primogenitor named in Chapter Approved) and the Venerators ("lost" in the Tide of Blood, but from a later Founding). The basic badge I've chosen is most like the badges used by the Black Consuls and White Consuls, though I'm not partial to "consuls." I decided to avoid a name about "beginnings" (such as Genesis, Inceptors, and Aurora). Looking in the Chapter Approved book, however, I found the Silver Eagles listed as one of the Primogenitors. That naming scheme works well with the badge I've chosen, making one of my options "Golden Eagles." The other alternative I'm considering is "Accusers" (I've long been a fan of the Kree :lol: ), which is thematically similar to to the Nemesis Chapter. Luckily for me, nobody has used either of those names in Phil Sibbering's 1,000 Chapters Project.

For the most part, the Primogenitor Chapters appear to have selected fairly simple schemes. I don't want my DIY to be too close to any of the other Primogenitors, however, so I started looking at some of the other colors. I decided to avoid going with all gold armor as I didn't want to get too close to the Adeptus Custodes or the Emperor in appearance. Also, one of the ~ Minotaurs Chapters in How to Paint Space Marines has a golden metallic scheme with red shoulder pads. Likewise, orange would have blended too much and made the overall scheme too warm. I ditched purple and brown (my Avenging Lions are brown and I want these guys to be different, and the Hawk Lords have purple and gold). I seriously considered a black scheme, but there are way too many black Chapters out there. And then I saw an image in the Inquisitor Sketchbook (sorry - I was too lazy to scan it and I couldn't find it using Google) and decided to use a light gray scheme. I carried the gold of the badge over onto the chest, but kept the squad badge white. The bolter casing is black because I think red bolter casings are silly ;) . In a way, I'm worried about the closeness of the scheme to that of the Space Wolves, but the thematic imagery will be much closer to that of the Ultramarines, including a lot of imagery that crops up again and again in John Blanche's work (no wolf pelts). In a way, the final color scheme I've chosen harkens back to the other Space Marines in the Adrian Smith image for which I showed a small portion, though I have no intention of tying this Primogenitor to that scene as that would contradict the known fluff.

As I said before, the Chapter adheres strictly to the Codex Astartes, so I decided to follow standard marking. Looking at other Primogenitors in Insignium Astartes, I noticed that a few use some method other than the shoulder pad rims to indicate company membership, so I decided to follow suit. This Chapter indicates company membership by the color of the left kneepad. Other than that, I expect to follow the basic heraldic patterns of the Codex Astartes (Sergeants have red helmets, Veterans have white helmets, etc.) The Chapter's adherence to the Codex Astartes will factor into the background I provide for them (later), especially in light of a recent discussion in the Ultramarines forum. As one of the Primogenitors, especially in light of the majority of background I develop being in the period shortly after the 2nd Founding, I don't imaging that there will be significant deviation from the Ultramarines Legion (another challenge). I'm not overly concerned, there, though, as the material I develop will be focused in other directions.

I briefly considered naming Orar as the first Chapter Master in a petulant shot at those that think that the Sons of Orar are one of the Primogenitors, but decided against that (mostly because that would have provided no other value). I'll probably avoid trying to name the first Chapter Master as I think that opens me up to risk should later GW/BL authors decide to flesh the known history out a bit more. The Chapter will definitely look to its experiences and accomplishments during the Scouring, however.

I'll provide more later, though this won't follow the normal IA pattern as I think it's important to provide a more mysterious feel and incomplete information for a lost Primogenitor.

For now, I'm interesting in peoples' thoughts on the two names:
  • Golden Eagles
  • Accusers

Which do you prefer?

Edited by Brule the Spear-Slayer

Now I could be wildly wrong here but......while it would be a wonderful idea to use the emperors personal heraldry as a chapters........

BUT.....I swear I have read on from several sources that NO ONE (in the 40k universe) can use his stuff (single headed eagles, his lightening bolts thingy). As it would be an affront to the big E's honour.

Infact doesn't Saul Tarvitz had to EARN the right to wear the emperors eagle on his chest and it was a great honour for him. No-one else in the HH novels has this, so it must be failry unique to get permission to use it.

I wish it wasn't, as it's why I don't have a chapter that has an eagle holding thunderbolts as a DIY chapter symbol.

Those Space Marines existing would seem to contradict known fluff. :(

That said - I'd prefer Accusers to Golden Eagles (mostly because the Golden Eagle is a thing). You could do "Accusers of Blahdeblah", fitting in with chapters like the Praetors of Orpheus and the Venerators of Osiron.

Now I could be wildly wrong here but......while it would be a wonderful idea to use the emperors personal heraldry as a chapters........

BUT.....I swear I have read on from several sources that NO ONE (in the 40k universe) can use his stuff (single headed eagles, his lightening bolts thingy). As it would be an affront to the big E's honour.

Infact doesn't Saul Tarvitz had to EARN the right to wear the emperors eagle on his chest and it was a great honour for him. No-one else in the HH novels has this, so it must be failry unique to get permission to use it.

I wish it wasn't, as it's why I don't have a chapter that has an eagle holding thunderbolts as a DIY chapter symbol.

I haven't read/listened to the later Horus Heresy stories, so I can't speak to the comment about Saul Tarvitz.

I recall the restricted use of the aquila, that symbol being allowed only to the Emperor's Children prior to the Horus Heresy. Once the Emperor's Children sided with Horus, however, the restriction was lifted and the other Legiones Astartes (and their later Successors) were allowed to display the aquila. As for the eagle's head, both the Black Consuls and White Consuls use that image (as do the Raptors, descended from the Raven Guard, and the Mentors). Even if there were some restriction on the use of that image, it probably no longer applied by the time of the 2nd Founding.

The Horus Heresy Collected Visions book depicts quite a few images where lightning bolts are displayed prominently. This isn't just with the Legio Custodes or the Sisters of Silence, who may have passed whatever requirements there may have been. A number of Space Marines, including quite a few Ultramarines, have lightning bolts upon their armor.

As for the gold eagle's head in profile, the full image of the Emperor facing Horus by Adrian Smith includes multiple Space Marines in gray armor with that badge upon their shoulder pad. I have no idea which Legion they might be, but recent discussion here favored the Imperial Fists. In addition, there are at least three images where a normal human being bears one of the small shields with that same image. They look like variations on a theme, with John Blanche having drawn the original and two other artists then drawing similar images. It might be said that the individual(s) depicted met the hypothesized requirements to wear the imagery, though.

Most importantly, we're talking about a Chapter created in 2nd Founding using that imagery. I don't know of any prohibition/restriction on the use of that imagery subsequent to the Emperor's interment on the Golden Throne. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it. If you can provide quotes and citations from official sources, I'll defer to that information.

At this point I'm favoring Accusers. Just Accusers. Adding in "of something" almost makes it sound like the Chapter is accusing that something. Also, Accusers follows Nemesis, both in the single word and in the theme of that word, both names being concerned with justice (which, considering the character I've developed for the Avenging Lions, appears to be a focus of mine ;) ). I haven't thrown Golden Eagles out, but Accusers sounds a lot more bellicose and intimidating.

The basic concept I have is that this Chapter's leadership had a strong reaction to the events of the Horus Heresy and the Scouring, perhaps focusing on the Word Bearers' attack on Calth and the subsequent (near-)slaying of Roboute Guilliman, focusing their energies on taking the fight to the traitors. The full list of Praeses Chapters has never been filled out, so while I'm not going to explicitly include this Chapter among those Chapters, their activities will probably hint at/allow for that possibility (i.e., they were situated near the Eye of Terror).

My original image of this Chapter (my mental image, not the SMP image I posted ;) ) gave the Chapter a heavier Greek focus than the Ultramarines (who have a lot of Greek elements, but visually are more Roman in appearance). Part of this was to help preserve the Chapter's ties to the Legion, but part was my own fascination with Greek poetry, mythology, and art. After my re-look at the Inquisitor Sketchbook, however, I'm waivering and might shift towards heavier use of the cross patee that John Blanche liberally sprinkles on his Space Marines. Perhaps I'll meld the two. :)

Beyond that, things are still in a bit of flux. I'm seriously considering lightening the color scheme a bit, going to a near-white (and perhaps making the gray into a very pale yellow/cream - this based on a re-look at the Inquisitor Sketchbook image which I might scan in for your benefit later). Also, a bit of collaboration with someone else has begun, and that may change things from my earlier concept, though the core elements I gave previously should remain stable.

gallery_44777_3498_10585.jpg
I've been playing with the color scheme. At right is an image with the pale yellow scheme and Mk VIII armor (well, the boots). I chose those boots because most of the Ultramarines shown in the Horus Heresy Collected Visions book have those boots. Similarly, the abdominal cables are there, but hidden behind the bolter. For this one I've gone with removing the company color, following the precedent of the Novamarines.

When I get around to modeling these guys, it will probably be limited to a kill-team representing a squad of veterans (not decided if it will be a Sternguard or Vanguard squad). At least a few of the models will use the muscled torsos from the Blood Angels sets, though the rest of the armor will be standard (lots of rivets/studs). The (Veteran) Sergeant will probably have a helmet crest, and I intend to convert the helmets to an older mark (or maybe use the helmets from the Black Templars kit or from Forge World). This will represent a force of these guys from shortly after the 2nd Founding.

If we find evidence that the golden eagle head of the Emperor's heraldry is off-limits, I'll change the badge to a gold cross patee. That shouldn't change anything else, however.

I'm holding off on presenting information based on the offline collaboration that is going on - some very interesting stuff there, and I hope it bears fruit.

I haven't read/listened to the later Horus Heresy stories, so I can't speak to the comment about Saul Tarvitz.

Tarvitz wore the Aquila as an Emperor's Children Captain. I don't think he was singled out in anyway.

Terran-born Nathaniel Garro of the Death Guard had a special ceremonial brass cuirass featuring two single-headed eagles, which the Emperor granted him before Mortarion was found. That might be what presc1ence was thinking of.

The Horus Heresy Collected Visions book depicts quite a few images where lightning bolts are displayed prominently. This isn't just with the Legio Custodes or the Sisters of Silence, who may have passed whatever requirements there may have been. A number of Space Marines, including quite a few Ultramarines, have lightning bolts upon their armor.

The lightning bolt was the Emperor's symbol before the Aquila. During the wars of reunification on Terra, the Emperor's "army of thunder and lightning" marched under the banner of a lightning bolt, as it was his personal army. Mk I "Thunder" armour, used by both the first Space Marines on Terra and the "proto" Space Marines before them, featured the symbol heavily.

Thunder armour was replaced with Mk II "Crusade" armour in anticipation of the Great Crusade, and featured Legion heraldry only, as they would now be led by the Primarchs rather than serving as the Emperor's personal army. The Custodians, and presumably the Sisters of Silence, still reported to the Emperor, so they kept the lightning bolt. It doesn't seem to have been prohibited though, as it was also the White Scars Legion symbol.

Mk VII "Eagle" armour was manufactured during the Heresy on Terra, when it was clear Mars would fall. The use of the Aquila at this point probably helped distinguish Loyalists from Traitors, who were largely equipped with Mk IV plus whatever they could loot.

Which is a long-winded way of saying: eagles were only used with special permission during the Great Crusade, but the prohibition had been lifted in advance of the Siege of the Imperial Palace, never mind the Second Founding, when at least two known Chapters used it. There's no reason not to use the symbol at all.

Edit : Damn it i think Lucian just ninja'd me! Must have been garro then! Still think i'm right about it being the single headed eagle and not the aquilla. But i'll bow to those with greater fluff knowledge!

Now I do agree that despite it's limit on being used, there ARE chapters that use symbols quite similair. But isn't that the reason they are usually called raven, hawks etc etc. There are probably enough loopholes to get it through though.

I'm not talking about the two headed aquilla though ,the Big E never seems to wear that.

I am exclusivly talking about the single headed eagle (Which is what Tarvitz wore and I'm sure that was in the earlier HH novels, I will source and quote this if i get the chance!), which is described as part of His personal heraldry.

I really like your overall idea though, it'll be interesting to see you prop up a chapter just to knock them into oblivion.

Oh and Accusers sounds best.

Edited by presc1ence

I recall the restricted use of the aquila, that symbol being allowed only to the Emperor's Children prior to the Horus Heresy. Once the Emperor's Children sided with Horus, however, the restriction was lifted and the other Legiones Astartes (and their later Successors) were allowed to display the aquila. As for the eagle's head, both the Black Consuls and White Consuls use that image (as do the Raptors, descended from the Raven Guard, and the Mentors). Even if there were some restriction on the use of that image, it probably no longer applied by the time of the 2nd Founding.

The Aquila was adopted as the symbol of Loyalists during the Horus Heresy.

gallery_44777_3498_30949.jpg
At right is a scan of the Space Marine image from The Inquisitor Sketchbook, a collection of John Blanche's concept sketches for the Inquisitor game. Judging by the context of that game - set in the modern (M41) time period - that Space Marine is a bit more gothic and wears Mk VIII (Errant) armor. I'm simply taking the basic scheme and applying it to my lost Primogenitor Chapter, with my guys having older marks of armor.

Looking at it, I realize that I'll have to change the weapons casings to the same color as the rest of the armor.

I don't envision my Chapter being quite as gothic - so there won't be a book suspended from a chain (unless I give my guys, or some of them, personal abridged copies of the Codex Astartes), there won't be quite as many purity seals or litanies, etc. I like the Medusa face upon the chest and I may use that on one of my guys.

You can see two small cross patees - one on the neck guard and the other on the left kneepad. If I change the Chapter badge from the golden eagle head, it will be a gold version of that cross (which brings to mind the Albigensians/Manicheans Cathars :) ).

As a Primogenitor, though, the Chapter is post-Horus Heresy and is entitled to wear the aquila if I desire. Also, the usage of the single eagle head as a Chapter badge by the White Consuls, Black Consuls, and Raptors (all 2nd Founding) probably means that there's no problem using the same image for this Chapter.

The Golden Eagles/Accusers teeter-totter is starting to tip decidedly in favor of "Accusers" now. It hasn't been totally decided, so if anyone thinks they can persuade me to go with "Golden Eagles" please provide your reason for preferring that name. B)

Edit: I've been corrected on the name for the Mk VIII armor (cheers to Lucien Eliam :P ); and I realized last night that "Cathars" is better than either "Albigensians" or "Manicheans" (though all work well enough, I suppose). Edited by Brule the Spear-Slayer

that Space Marine is a bit more gothic and wears Mk VIII (Aquila) armor

Mk 8, with the collar, is Errant armour.

That sketch is a Grey Knight, by the way. Hence the book, sword and head full of cables. There's a note just to the right of it in the book identifying it.

There's an "archaic" Space Marine on the following page, IIRC.

I stand corrected on the Errant armor terminology.

I disagree with the statement that that Space Marine is a Grey Knight, though. There is another sketch of a Space Marine in "archaic" armor, including the typical small shield at the chest and a power glaive that bears a striking resemblance to a nemesis force halberd, as well as dark/gray armor. That Space Marine lacks the forearm-mounted bolter that the Grey Knights later developed into, as well as the halberd- (glaive-) mounted version that they had at the time that the sketch was made. The image I scanned doesn't bear any of the normal indicators of a Grey Knight - books aren't uncommon elements of the gothic portrayal of Space Marines.

The note to the right of the sketch lists both the Deathwatch of the Ordo Xenos and the Grey Knights of the Ordo Malleus.

The image immediately below the one I showed (in the book) is another Space Marine, this one in darker armor and bearing more of a resemblance to a Chaplain (though he's not marked as such and wields an axe instead of a crozius arcanum). On the opposite page is a Blood Angel and the "archaic" Space Marine.

I would guess that the image I scanned was a concept as GW worked towards the Deathwatch, probably settling on black for the armor color since that's a bit more grimdark than white. That's just my own speculation, however.

Regardless, the color scheme wasn't used for either the Grey Knights or the Deathwatch, so it's fair game. ;)

Looks like the Grey Knight scheme to me: silver with red pad insets. Books, swords, Mk 8 armour, hints of a psychic hood: all Grey Knight indicators.

The Inquisitor Sketchbook predates the first power armoured Grey Knight miniature by three years, the sketch is probably even older, and it's a Blanche concept, so it's unlikely to look exactly like the final product. And it's on a page labelled "Inquisitorial Chapters - Grey Knights/Deathwatch", alongside a black-armoured Marine with a much lighter coloured shoulder pad.

The evidence looks fairly overwhelming to me.

There's no reason your Chapter shouldn't be inspired by that image, I just wanted to make sure you knew what it was.

The evidence looks fairly overwhelming to me.

Yep, I'd say that's an early Grey Knight too.

And Accusers has my vote :wallbash: Nice Chapter concept too, btw. Looking forward to seeing more flesh on the bones!

Ludovic

Okay, I've decided to go with "Accusers," and since no one has provided any evidence that the golden eagle head is off-limits as a Chapter badge, I'll go with that. If anyone can provide such evidence, I'll shift accordingly.

The offline discussions have been interesting.

Information about this Chapter won't be provided via an Index Astartes article or similar (which would imply that there are records of the Chapter somewhere). So expect to see the (limited) information on the Chapter provided via other methods and in a much more piecemeal and inconclusive fashion. This will include fragments of reports, stories, etc. We're still working the plan out.

We're still working the plan out.

We? Is this a group project?

Ludovic

Nope, but another member saw some parallels and the two of us have decided to collaborate and gain some synergy. The name of my co-conspirator will not be revealed as we intend to follow in GW's footsteps with regard to presenting incomplete and sometimes contradictory information, perhaps with a red herring or two. Some of you may connect the dots correctly, while others may not. Hopefully it will be interesting, fun, and suitably grimdark.

• 3 weeks later...

The Mystery Begins

Fragment of a document reportedly recovered from the space hulk designated Herald of Misery in M38 by the rogue trader Ibram Subicere:

Accompanied by a demi-squad of the Inceptors Chapter, Captain Subicere and his crew aboard the Torchbearer were exploring the Anguis Cluster near the Maelstrom. There they discovered the Herald of Misery. Auspex readings indicated that the vessel was comprised of several major vessels and a number of smaller ones, including a few Imperial vessels and pre-Imperial human vessels. The Inceptors boarded the hulk in terminator armor, establishing a lodgment from which Captain Subicere and his crew could salvage while the Space Marines explored the deeper reaches of the hulk.

Two days into the operation, Brother-Sergeant Praetus and his squad suddenly returned. Putting his battle-brothers on guard, Brother-Sergeant Praetus returned to the Torchbearer. He privately entered the astropath’s quarters, ignoring all questions from Captain Subicere, and returned to the space hulk. He said one word to his battle-brothers: Sanctitas. At this word, the terminators left their posts and returned whence they came, each carrying loads of demolitions.

Brother-Sergeant Praetus then informed Captain Subicere that his squad had discovered a grave threat within the depths of the hulk. He and his squad were to destroy the threat by planting demolitions at structural weaknesses within the hulk, during which time Captain Subicere and his crew would have five hours to recover as much as they could before returning to the Torchbearer. At this, Brother-Sergeant Praetus turned and followed his battle-brothers into the depths of the hulk.

One of the items that Captain Subicere was able to retrieve from the hulk was a small book. Beneath a thousand years of dust, the leather-bound book was decorated with gold filigree and the aquila of the Imperium. On the pages within, Subicere saw pictures of different Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes, a small guidebook to the names and liveries of over a hundred Chapters. Instinctively, Subicere kept the book secret from Brother-Sergeant Praetus and his Space Marines, locking the book within his private sanctum aboard the Torchbearer before the Space Marines returned from their mission.

When Brother-Sergeant Praetus and his battle-brothers returned from their mission, they were laden with two containers they’d recovered from within the Herald of Misery, two of the terminators immediately returning to the Torchbearer with the containers as Brother-Sergeant Praetus and the two remaining battle-brothers remained, ostensibly to provide security as Captain Subicere and his crew completed their own tasks. Once all hands returned to the Torchbearer, Brother-Sergeant Praetus directed Captain Subicere to move the Torchbearer to stand-off distance. From there, the veteran Space Marine command-detonated the demolitions, entirely destroying the central vessel of the hulk and sending the debris of a dozen other vessels scattering through the void. He then informed Captain Subicere that the Inceptors had recalled the demi-squad and that they must return to the Chapter immediately. No explanation was given, and Captain Subicere was more than happy to see the Space Marines depart.

Upon completing the exploration of the Anguis Cluster, Subicere and the Torchbearer returned to Terra where the book was dutifully handed over to Inquisitor Lerneaus of the Ordo Malleus. The Inquisitor found one page, pictured at right, puzzling and required expert investigation, so he forwarded it to the Order of the Sacred Oath, an Order Dialogus of the Adepta Sororitas, for study and authentication.

gallery_44777_3498_295852.png

Forgery!

+++ Date: 4029709/M38

+++ Ref: Ast/38571391/INS

+++ By: Sister Sarojini, Order of the Sacred Oath, Convent Prioris, Holy Terra

+++ To: Inquisitor Lerneaus

+++ Re: Anguis Codex

+++ Thought: Trust no one else, and trust yourself less.

Inquisitor,

I have completed my initial evaluation of the codex you entrusted unto my care.

The codex is not an abridged version of the Codex Astartes, as was initially thought. It is instead a form of insignium - a handbook about uniforms and regalia. Focusing on the Adeptus Astartes, this insignium would properly be referred to as an Insignium Astartes, and we have further identified this insignium based on the location of its discovery, Anguis.

A number of characteristics point to this insignium dating from the early years of M31.

Chief among these is the Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes that are depicted within. While over half of the pages are damaged and/or decayed to the point where the material is no longer legible, the pages that can still be read either partially or in their entirety all portray Chapters known to have been created in the 2nd Founding (with one notable exception that I'll cover later). In and of itself this might not be conclusive as similar codices have been created during some of the foundings in order to catalogue the Chapters created during those foundings, though this has been far from a universal practice and the accuracy of these codices has varied.

Another characteristic pointing towards M31 is the style of the embellishments that decorate the insignium. Chief among these is the decorative bars that separate certain elements of information, the bars being augmented at each end with small vertical hashes, with the top and bottom of the hashes and the ends of the bars forming stylized versions of a cross motif that was commonly used by Imperial forces during the Great Crusade. This style of decoration fell out of favor during the latter half of M31, and though it has occasionally been used over the years, such uses have been very rare and have generally been tied to emulations of written works from the Great Crusade.

The cover of the codex also points to an origin some time in M31. The lettering style used on the cover and as titles of pages was common during the rebuilding of the Imperium after the Great Heresy, used most commonly by Terran scribes through about 300.M31. In addition, the gold filigree upon the cover depicts scenes of battle that appear to be smaller renditions of scenes from the time known as the Scouring, the years immediately following the defeat of the Warmaster as the still-loyal forces of the Imperium fought to destroy the remaining traitor forces and recover territory lost to the traitors and other forces when the Warmaster broke faith with the Emperor.

The style of writing and formatting within the insignium bear a strong resemblance to the second version of the Gant Manuscript within the Ceris Archive and it appears to have been written by the same hand. Certain phrases are common between the two books, further pointing to both similar authorship and date of origin.

However, deeper investigation leads me to suspect that the insignium is a clever forgery.

I mentioned previously that all but one of the Chapters that can be seen in the insignium are known to be from the 2nd Founding. The one exception is the Accusers Chapter. There are no other records of such a Chapter ever existing - no Chapter listings in any of the versions of the Codex Astartes or other insigniums include the Accusers, nor are any Chapters known to have used the livery portrayed for that Chapter in the insignium.

The entry implies that the Accusers were created from the Ultramarines Legion, making them one of the Primogenitor ("First Born") Chapters. This is supported by several phrases most often used to indicate the various Primogenitors, including:

+  "true son of Macragge" (indicating that the Chapter Master was born on Macragge)

+  "disciple of the Primarch's teachings" (indicating that the Chapter Master was fully indoctrinated in the Codex Astartes)

Though records are scant, I found records of three members of the Adeptus Astartes named "Megaeros" from the time of the Great Crusade. There was a Commander Megaeros of the Ultramarines Legion, but the limited records we have indicate that he was killed in action during the Scouring, those records being the posthumous awarding of the Comminus Imperator. The other two were from other Legions (Sergeant Megaeros of the Iron Hands Legion is thought to have been killed during the drop site massacres on Isstvan V; and a Captain Megaeros is mentioned in the annals of the Alpha Legion, though his fate is unknown).

Of the ships named in the text, there are no records of the Ultramarines Legion operating a battle-barge named Indomitus; and the Guilliman's Charter belongs to a Chapter created during the 3rd Founding. Two of the strike cruisers, the Contus and Cruciare, fought under the flag of the XIIIth Legion. There are no records of an Ovatio Tonare belonging to the Ultramarines, but the Battle of Tonare was fought during the Scouring, so the vessel may have been either commissioned or re-named subsequent to that battle.

Since many records were lost during the reign of Goge Vandire, I also resorted to requesting from some of the Primogenitor Chapters any information they might have on a Chapter named the Accusers. Most of the Chapters didn’t even answer my appeal, including the Inceptors, Aurora Chapter, Novamarines, and Genesis Chapter. Only two of the Chapters responded: the Praetors of Orpheus and the Doom Eagles. Both of these Chapters provided curt answers that they had no records of such a Chapter ever having existed. Assuming these responses were accurate, the information contained in the Insignium Astartes Anguis appears to be highly suspect.

The lack of cooperation on the part of the Adeptus Astartes was expected, however, and I suggest that a visit to the Chapters in person might garner a response where an astropathic appeal failed. If you choose to pursue this, I recommend the Praetors of Orpheus and Ultramarines as they have proven to be the most approachable.

Another fact to consider is the existence of a servant of the Dark Powers colloquially known as "the Accuser." This being was first identified by the Praetors of Orpheus Chapter during the Nova Terra Interegnum, though there have been several reports of this individual since that time. Most recently, a combined Novamarines/Praetors of Orpheus force faced the Accuser during the Skilthras Wars early in this millennium. This fell warrior did not wear armor colored as the Accusers in the insignium, instead wearing armor of deep black. This warrior led a force comprised primarily of Alpha Legion Chaos Space Marines. Though the identity of this creature has never been identified, there is a strong possibility that he is the former Alpha Legion Captain Megaeros.

This codex has been labeled as the Insignium Astartes Anguis and is tentatively identified as a forgery pending further investigation.

I am at your disposal should you decide to appeal directly to the Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes in this matter.

Sister Sarojini

The Hidden Meaning?

Milord, I conducted a study of the book as instructed. There were faint traces of the energy of the Empyrean upon the book, but these could very well have stemmed from the book having been aboard a space hulk and likely exposed to the Sea of Souls for some duration. Certainly there were no hidden writings or patterns that established any sort of link, no matter how small, with the Warp.

However, I found the page in question most curious. While it shows what appears to be the standard imagery of any Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes, I wonder if there is some hidden meaning. I've drawn the image below for clarity:

gallery_44777_3498_22175.gif

The symbol looks innocent enough - the golden eagle's head granted in heraldry to those who provided some service to the Immortal Emperor (praise Him!) superimposed over a white halo that is derived from several awards common within the Legiones Astartes during the Great Crusade.

If you look deeper, though, the image may have some blasphemous meaning.

The eagle's head draws the viewer's attention, implying holiness through the association of that image with the Emperor (may He rule forever). However, the design of the halo is reminiscent of heretical glyphs associated with the dark powers. The juxtaposition of the two elements draws upon similar heresies espoused during the Bollen Schism [M35] and needs no explanation.

I must concur with the Adepta Sororitas assessment that the document is a hoax and conclude that it is intended to mislead the reader into thinking that such a Chapter actually existed. I can only speculate as to who may have crafted such a ploy and for what purpose, though it seems readily apparent that these are the machinations of the servants of the Great Enemy. Who knows what calamity might befall us should this book fall into the wrong hands?

I most humbly, yet urgently, recommend that we destroy the book immediately.

Your most obedient servant,

Archivist's Note: This transcript is from a document recovered from the wreckage of Inquisitor Lerneaus' fortress after Inquisitor Lerneaus was declared Extremis Diabolus and executed by a cell of the Ordo Malleus led by Inquisitor Lord Naukara in 791.M38. The report appeared to have been deliberately damaged so as to conceal the signature and name of the author. The Insignium Astartes Anguis was not recovered and was presumed to have been destroyed, though one pict capture of a fragment remains preserved within the archives of the Order of the Sacred Oath, Convent Prioris, on Holy Terra.

:)

Thanks for the compliments. At this point there isn't a lot of developmental feedback, so this has become an exercise in presenting the Accusers (or whoever they may have been) based upon the collaboration between me and my secret co-conspirator. I know this isn't the manner of presentation that people are accustomed to here in Liber Astartes, but I hope you find it entertaining and informative (even if it is vague and mysterious) nonetheless.

More soon...