Expunged Primogenitor Chapter

Ioldanach

I just realized that I didn't provide the full sized version of the complete Chapter badge when I previously changed it on the Chapter color scheme. For those of you that are interested, here it is:

gallery_44777_3498_2799.gif

Some in-stride observations...

I have found this path I've chosen for presenting the Accusers to be quite challenging. Over the years that I've lurked here and since joining, of course, most members choose to write an Index Astartes article. Those articles definitely require some work to develop properly and are very good for giving everyone "the facts." Games Workshop has actually written surprisingly few Index Astartes articles on Chapters when compared to the actual number of Chapters that they've given us, however. The format for presenting Chapters in the Badab War books presented a completely new format, even though the information in those articles was largely similar to the Index Astartes articles. I found that format to be more appropriate for presenting my other Chapter, the Avenging Lions, so I used it for that project. I'm still surprised that the use of that format hasn't taken off (not because I used it, of course, but because it is actually a very good format).

For this project, though, my goal has been to develop the Accusers "in private" as it were, and to then present to you information in a somewhat haphazard fashion reminiscent of how Games Workshop has given us information over the years. This has partly been inspired by a number of discussions on using alternate formats (other than the Index Astartes article) and also partly inspired by discussions on what constitutes "canon" in the background. My own preference for "being different" has also been a factor, naturally. And then another member read my initial posts and contacted me with an offer to collaborate. His concept for his Chapter dovetailed with my own idea, and the merging of the two concepts has provided a wellspring of ideas, and a few interesting challenges (i.e., how do we present the information on our concepts, including the hints about how the two concepts are derived from the same source, without giving away the relationship?).

Overall, I've found this presentation to be much more challenging than writing a "simple" Index Astartes article (and I put the quotation marks around simple because, as most of you know, writing an Index Astartes article is not a simple task). I could have written an Index Astartes article, or I could have used the format from the Badab War books. Most of the attempts to incorporate some mystery in the more fact-based formats have met with stiff resistance over the years, tending to come off as cliched (usually through no fault of the author) so my intent to present a mystery would have been undermined had I done that. My private development has collected the various facts (those that aren't dynamic right now) in an outline format that might be expanded to a more traditional format later, but that will probably only happen if the mystery is solved or if I get tired of the mystery (the latter of which probably won't happen because I'm a sadistic git).

So what I've been doing is posting bits and pieces here in the discussion, then moving them over to my blog. If anyone has been paying attention, these pieces have been changing, going through a couple of small revisions here and once placed in the blog. This has been deliberate, though I've attempted to post the initial versions only after they've reached the 90% solution. The "finished" versions aren't drastically different from the initial versions, but the small changes here and there are similar to how understanding of an historical event changes over time.

Included in each of these bits and pieces are both facts and falsehood, tantalizing hints and red herrings. I'm still working on a few of them, and these are a bit more work-intensive, so they're taking considerably more time to develop. In truth, some of the "facts" are in a state of flux until I settle on the final version of each piece, so I'm progressing slowly in order to ensure that I don't have any accidental contradictions/inconsistencies (though there might be some deliberate contradictions/inconsistencies :devil: ).

There has been little feedback on the method of presentation, though. This is understandable because I'm sure most of you have figured out that what you see is only a portion of the complete body of work I'm developing; and most of you have probably also figured out that the development of the facts isn't following the normal pattern used in most other discussions since I want to preserve some sense of the mystery. Also, there are some of you that may be averse to the presentation at a foundational level, and I suspect that this may be because of the natural human tendency to desire to put everything into a factual framework and to remove as much mystery as possible. Some of you, however, may be enjoying the mystery and the potential to speculate in order to solve the mystery. I need to be careful in the amount of falsehood and red herrings I include as going over the top with them will unfairly push you in the wrong direction, and despite my intent to incorporate mystery I would like the story of the Accusers to be "solvable" (not sure if that's a real word or not).

So what I'm interested in is feedback on whether or not you think the concept of presenting the Accusers as a mystery via bits and pieces is working. If you've begun speculating on the mystery, feel free to provide your thoughts/suspicions (though I caution you to hold off on drawing any firm conclusions until I've presented the complete body of work as there are a few major pieces that you'll need). I've received some feedback in the blog (I thank Ming for his attention and comments and promise to give him due reciprocation when I have time), but I'm walking in the dark here. Though I definitely have some personal goals, part of them is to entertain anyone that might be paying attention, so I'd like a little feedback on that in order to help give me some direction on things that I might do better for you. (And if no one replies, then I'll just continue on the path I'm on since I'm finding it enjoyable, so don't feel compelled to reply :cool: )

Thanks!

Edited by Ioldanach

Games Workshop has actually written surprisingly few Index Astartes articles on Chapters when compared to the actual number of Chapters that they've given us, however.

Well, yes and no. It's still the most prolific method of presentation (by a significant margin, I think). Most chapters are names and not much else.

I found that format to be more appropriate for presenting my other Chapter, the Avenging Lions, so I used it for that project. I'm still surprised that the use of that format hasn't taken off (not because I used, of course, but because it is actually a very good format).

I think a large part of the issue is that not that many people have the Imperial Armor books.

I've written one, but it's not coming out for a while.

So what I'm interested in is feedback on whether or not you think the concept of presenting the Accusers as a mystery via bits and pieces is working.

I think the presentation isn't entirely working because there's not enough context. There's no framing device to guide us through the information, and there's no introduction to contextualize the information. Sigismund Himself tried something like this with his Iron Champions. I think his worked better because the pieces of information were simply shorter - but the pieces also had a logical flow that carried you clearly through the story he wanted to tell. I'm not sure yours quite has that - his sets up the chapter a bit, then moves us into the mystery, while yours just launches into it.

Edited by Octavulg

I think the presentation isn't entirely working because there's not enough context. There's no framing device to guide us through the information, and there's no introduction to contextualize the information. Sigismund Himself tried something like this with his Iron Champions. I think his worked better because the pieces of information were simply shorter - but the pieces also had a logical flow that carried you clearly through the story he wanted to tell. I'm not sure yours quite has that - his sets up the chapter a bit, then moves us into the mystery, while yours just launches into it.

Hmmm...I just took a gander at what Sigismund Himself did and didn't see a huge difference between his effort and my own structurally. He was starting off with an official Chapter and writing the pieces around official events, which helps readers with having a context. He was putting the stamp of a mystery on events while framing them in a way that what really happened is fairly clear to the reader. As the replies in that discussion indicate, readers understood what happened, while the voices of the pieces weren't quite sure.

My piece is purely DIY, though, and has to be written in the structure of unknowns. Giving readers a framing device to guide them through the information is the complete opposite of my intended outcome. I don't want anyone to be certain of the truth. The whole point is that I want the story of the Accusers to be a mystery. Were they a real Chapter? Were they a fabrication by someone? Were they a fable? There will be bits and pieces to support each outcome (and perhaps some others). I want readers to have their theories and suspicions without being absolutely certain that they're right. This is not intended to be the informational piece that we're used to seeing with most other DIYs (in the form of the IA article), but is instead intended to be more of an entertainment piece, a diversion. A consequence of this is that I will receive much less feedback because the majority look for the informational piece. The majority of feedback in discussions here in Liber is based around developing the content of the article, and this discussion isn't really doing that, so it's completely understandable that it's not as well-received. I know that there is at least one person following the work, and that's fine. You'll see more of the pieces fall into place as I get the larger works done, though I hope that these don't give the true story away (I'm worried that one does, so I'm being careful with it).

Think of this work as aiming for a mystery on a level with that of the Legion of the Damned (if the article in WD 99 had never been published). The current body of work about the Legion of the Damned is very mysterious, with their true origins being unknown. Those of us that have seen the old article (think we) know the truth, but the vast majority of people have never read that article and, knowing only what GW has published recently, aren't quite sure. I don't want to publish the equivalent of the WD 99 article for the Accusers, aiming for a level of mystery commensurate with the current mystery surrounding the Legion of the Damned.

Those of us that aren't comfortable with high level of uncertainty won't take well to the body of work I'll be developing about the Accusers, but some of us might find the diversion entertaining.

Still, I'll see if I can make the work a bit more accessible as long as it doesn't compromise my overall goal of presenting a mystery.

Thanks.

False Interpretation of the Namis Arkaid

Among the items recovered from the fortress of Inquisitor Lerneaus was a sheet with a few brief notes on it. The scrap of paper was entrusted into the care of Inquisitor Lord Naukara, who transferred it to the Order of the Sacred Oath on Holy Terra for evaluation.

+++ Date: 2006791/M38

+++ Ref: OM/32099147/ED

+++ By: Sister Sarojini, Order of the Sacred Oath, Convent Prioris, Holy Terra

+++ To: Inquisitor Lord Naukara

+++ Re: Inquisitor Lerneaus

+++ Thought: The strong are strongest alone

Inquisitor Lord,

The document you forwarded has been evaluated as you instructed. This document is a passage from the "Namis Arkaid" which is an obscure epic poem originating from the Memnos system in the Segmentum Obscurus.

The Memnos system was brought back into the light of the Imperium in M35 by the Imperial Fists Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes, who discovered a lost pocket of humanity upon a world that had been obscured by intermittent Warp storms. As the inhabitants of the system were brought into compliance with the Imperium and the Imperial Cult, this epic poem was studied. As far as could be determined, the humans upon Memnos V were the remnants of a colony pre-dating the Wars of Unification. In the thousands of years that they had been separated from the rest of the species their culture and technology had debased to pre-industrial levels. Situated near the Eye of Terror, the population suffered minor levels of mutation and were frequently attacked by the nightmarish denizens of that region of space. The more egregious strains of mutation were culled when the population was brought into compliance, though the percentage of psykers was higher than normal and was sufficient to provide for the needs of the Emperor. When the Dominion of Fire took place, the forces of the Great Enemy overran the world. Those that weren't destroyed were enslaved and worship of the Dark Powers spread. The world was later cleansed in the aftermath of the Dominion of Fire and is no longer habitable.

The "Namis Arkaid" was said to be an epic poem re-telling the key events of one of the many wars against the Dark Born (which appear to have been some form of Chaos servants). In this poem the world is attacked by the warriors of the Dark Born, only to be rescued by the intervention of the "son of Meleus" who is described as a champion from the stars. This poem is thought by most Imperial scholars to be either epic myth or a form of prophecy. The latter seems more likely as the Imperial Fists recorded significant battles against renegades in recovering Memnos.

The version of the poem that Inquisitor Lerneaus studied was the Calmain translation of M37. This translation was not well-received by most Imperial scholars. One of the most interesting elements of this translation, though, was that the scribe Calmain wrote both the original and translated forms side-by-side. In this, he inspired the later Arkues and Fitzimoor translations (the former considered the definitive translation). The passage in question is translated somewhat differently in both the Arkues and Fitzimoor translations, so the use of the Calmain translation by Lerneaus was deliberate as it allowed for certain alternative interpretations that may have supported the renegade's objectives.

If Inquisitor Lerneaus' notes are interpreted correctly, he speculated that the poem was actually a documentation of the involvement of the Accusers. That line of speculation seems highly unlikely, though, as even the elements that he uses to support it are inconsistent with the known facts.

If we assume that the Megaeros in question was Chapter Master Megaeros of the Ultramarines Legion, whether or not the description of him as the "Son of Meleus" is unknown as the records of that ancient Space Marine have been lost to time. Meleus itself is a name that occasionally appears in Macraggian male citizens, though, its use is very rare and it is considered archaic. Similarly, the parentage of the Great Crusade era Space Marines named Meleus (from the Iron Hands and Alpha Legion) is also unknown. It is interesting to note that the name Meleus was known to be used in the Iron Warriors Legion, with at least two battle-brothers of that legion bearing the name. Likewise, "Champion of Terre" would seem to imply someone that was from Holy Terra or fought at the great Siege of Terra during the Horus Heresy. Regardless, we can't specifically tie a "Son of Meleus" to any specific legion or individual Space Marine.

The reference to a "champion of Terre" and "fabled Sol's war-like child" is also interesting as it implies that the individual to whom it refers was based at Holy Terra (likely the Imperial Fists Legion, the Adeptus Custodes, or perhaps an older member of one of the legions pre-dating the re-discovery of the Primarch of that legion). Alternately, it could be one of the heroes of the Siege of Terra (again, the Imperial Fists Legion, though the Blood Angels and White Scars Legions also fought at that great and terrible event). Neither the Ultramarines nor Iron Hands Legions were present at that battle.

A more sinister interpretation might be that the Namis Arkaid is actually describing traitor Space Marines, twisting the views of a "champion of Terre" to a renegade. This might explain the higher levels of mutation that were discovered upon that world when the Imperial Fists Chapter finally brought it into compliance.

Regardless, the singular lack of any records on a Chapter named "Accusers" and wholly speculative nature of Inquisitor Lerneaus' notes serve to completely undermine his arguments. The only other documentation the Order has for that Chapter is the Insignium Astartes Anguis, though that has by this time been proven to be a forgery. Based upon the proof of Inquisitor Lerneaus' subornment by the Alpha Legion, this fragment would appear to be an example of his efforts to plant seeds about the existence of the Accusers Chapter in preparation for some plot by the traitor Legion.

The fragment of the Namis Arkaid has been placed in the Telemus Archive under guard by Sisters of the Order of the Argent Shroud.

Sister Sarojini

gallery_44777_3498_405645.png

Edited by Brule the Spear-Slayer

• 3 weeks later...

Homecoming

Astinax knelt before the Primarch, head bowed in veneration. None would ever mistake him for a handsome man, and it is doubtful that he would have been handsome had his body been allowed to develop naturally instead of being subjected to the process by which the Legiones Astartes were made. His one remaining eye was closed, the other having long since been replaced by an augmetic eye after being lost to the blade of a traitor of the VIIIth Legion in the Battle of Tsagualsa. The replacement eye glowed a deep mechanical blue within a metallic frame from which several small wires ran down into his armor. The flesh of his exposed head was a mass of scars and re-grown tissue, mostly discolored. The broad nose bore the signs of having been broken on multiple occasions, and upon his brow were two implanted studs, one a silver Aquila and the other a bronze skull. Once a youth on Macragge, he had served within the XIIIth Legion since the Primarch was discovered by the Emperor. He had foregone having any additional studs implanted since the Second Founding had taken place and he had left the XIIIth Legion to lead his own Chapter.

He cradled his helmet in his right arm and from beneath the cloak that covered his left side a scabbarded sword was held, armored hand resting upon the pommel. Both the cloak and transverse crest of the helm were the deep crimson that signified the officers within his Chapter. Though the left pauldron was covered by the cloak, the right was visible and upon its dark crimson field was a golden Aquila within a silver laurel, the insignia of his rank as Chapter Master. The rest of his armor was a pale yellow. Upon its surface were various silver carvings and inlays, the decorations telling the tales of his battles while covering the scars of those battles at the same time.

The last time he had knelt before the Primarch was a century prior. Then, too, he had held the title “Chapter Master,” though his armor had been cerulean blue instead of the pale yellow that he now wore. On that august occasion the sword he now held had been bestowed to Astinax, a symbol of the bond between Primarch and Chapter Master. The weapon originated from Talassar and the decorations upon the ruddy scabbard commemorated the victory of the Legion over the Orks upon Glaudor, a campaign in which Astinax had lost his right arm in single combat against a hulking Ork.

There was no conversation with the Primarch on this occasion, however. The Primarch’s unmoving form lay in stasis, a mortal wound across his neck from the blade of one of his demigod brothers. Ignoring the honor guard of Ultramarines terminators that surrounded the Primarch, Astinax looked upon his Primarch like a dutiful son grieving over his father.

Others waited within the Temple of Correction, patiently keeping their distance. As Chapter Master, it was Astinax Megaeros’ prerogative to pay reverence before the other members of his Chapter. To the rear of the temple stood the senior officers of the Chapter, including the Chapter Warden and the High Chaplain. These officers, too, had fought alongside Roboute Guilliman as members of the Ultramarines Legion, and now fought in the colors of the Accusers Chapter under their chapter master, the Custodian, Astinax Megaeros. These Adeptus Astartes stood respectfully and silently, stoically waiting for the chapter master to complete his viewing.

When Astinax finally completed his reverie, he stood slowly, releasing the scabbard to hang at his side. He then turned and walked to an alcove while his officers approached the dais in order to pay their own respects to the Primarch. His gaze fell upon the delegation that awaited him. There were five of them, each an augmented transhuman member of the Adeptus Astartes. Two were dressed in simple white robes while three others wore power armor from different chapters. Astinax bowed his head as he reached the group, and one by one each of the five bowed his in return. For long moments the six silently regarded each other, the gravity of the situation palpable.

Finally, one of the robed figures spoke, “It is good to see your ugly face again, brother, even if it is under these circumstances.”

Astinax suppressed a grin, “You were always too pretty for fighting, Antilochus. Tell me, brother, who will lead the Ultramarines now?”

Antilochus shrugged his broad shoulders slightly, “I don’t know, brother. The Chapter Council is consulting the Codex Astartes. The choice seems obvious, but we obey the teachings of the Primarch even in these days.”

“And the Legion?” continued Megaeros.

“My brother, the Legion is no more. Our father disbanded the XIIIth Legion into the Chapters so that the Warmaster’s treachery could never be repeated. Though we have fought together since that day, I suspect that Tsagualsa and similar events will not be repeated.”

At the mention of the attack on the Night Lords’ world, Astinax reflexively reached up with his free hand to touch the metallic housing of his augmetic eye. His gauntlet clenched into a fist a moment later and he lowered it to his side. Astinax looked to his Primarch again, remembering the puissant lord’s brilliance at that momentous battle. After a few moments Astinax continued, “They will pay for this. My brothers and I will not allow those that did this to our father to go unpunished.”

“Patience, brother,” cautioned one of the others. “Your devotion to the Primarch is well known, but this is not the time for rash actions.”

Astinax turned to regard the new speaker. This one, too, was in battle armor, though of a blue and white quartered livery with a haloed skull upon the shoulder. “As always,” answered Astinax, “your words are filled with wisdom, Lucretius. Have no fear. My brothers and I will not rush headlong into a fight we cannot win.”

Astinax looked back at the Primarch. By this time, the senior officers of his chapter had finished. The rest of the chapter was filing by in turns, starting with the veterans of the First Company. As each squad of warriors reached the viewing point, they faced the Primarch, removed their helmets, and knelt in unison. They remained kneeling for a period of time, heads bowed and eyes closed in reverent silence. Once completed, they stood, faced about, donned their helms, then marched away as the next squad moved into position. Astinax and the other chapter masters watched this sequence of events unfold several times. Throughout, Astinax mouthed a silent litany, keeping perfect time with his battle-brothers before the Primarch.

After several iterations of this ritual, Astinax spoke to his fellow chapter masters. “Do you see the battle-brothers of my chapter there, brothers?” At this, Astinax gripped the scabbard of his blade in his left arm and raised it so that his fellow chapter masters could see it. “Each is renewing the vows he swore upon this blade; the same vow I swore to the Primarch when he gave it to me a century ago.” He paused to watch more of his battle-brothers enact the ritual then turned to face his brother chapter masters. “I have been the custodian of this weapon since that day, and the brothers of my chapter call me by that title, “Custodian” in recognition that I am merely the instrument of our Primarch’s teachings and the Emperor’s vision. While I lead the Accusers, greater loyalty is owed to the Primarch and the Emperor. The Accusers will not rest while our treacherous brothers go unpunished.”

He turned to face the other chapter masters before saying, “Tonight we grieve for our fallen Primarch. On the morrow we will grieve no more and at dawn the Chapter fleet will depart for the Maelstrom where we have located one of the hidden bases of the Twentieth Legion. This sword,” he said, raising the weapon high, “will be the tempest of the Primarch’s wrath upon those that know no loyalty.” At these words, the countenance of Astinax became set with grim fury and all those assembled knew that there was no further point in trying to restrain their bellicose brother. All had sworn similar oaths, the only real difference being in how each intended to pursue the vendetta against the traitors. One by one, each acknowledged the pledge by making the sign of the aquila – the chapter master of the Silver Eagles first, followed by Nemesis, and so on until each had saluted their brother of the Accusers Chapter. Accepting the salutes of his brothers, Astinax lowered his weapon and turned without a word to once again watch his chapter pay its respects to the Primarch.

Little did Astinax Megaeros of the Accusers Chapter know that when his chapter departed the next day, he would never again see the planet of his birth, Macragge.

Edited by Brule the Spear-Slayer

• 1 month later...

Echoes in the Warp

+++ INCOMING MESSAGE +++

+++ DECRYPT CYPHERS ORDER ACCEPTED +++

+++ PRIORITY ALPHA-1 +++

TRANSMITTED:  Macragge

RECEIVED:  Wrath of Ventanus, Magog Cluster

DATE:  6405707.M38

TELEPATHIC DUCT:  Librarium-terminus Marcelius

SUBJECT:  Request for forces

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  The drums of war call out to you

• Rogue Trader vessel Torchbearer, Captain Subicere commanding, to explore space hulk designated Herald of Misery near Anguis Cluster

• Herald of Misery previously located near Chinchare sub-sector 698.M35
  • Indomitus [ref. Task Force Megaeros/Tisiphone] believed component of Herald of Misery
  • Matter urgent [ref. Corrigere Sanction]
  • Ultramarines unable to provide forces due to Brasidas Crusade
  • Can Inceptors fulfill Corrigere Sanction?

+++ MESSAGE ENDS+++

+++ INCOMING MESSAGE +++

+++ PRIORITY ALPHA-3 +++

TRANSMITTED:  Wrath of Ventanus

RECEIVED:  Macragge

DATE:  7419707.M38

TELEPATHIC DUCT:  Librarium-terminus Vindicel

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  We obey the teachings of the Primarch

• Inceptors will fulfill Corrigere Sanction

• Coordinating instructions requested

+++ MESSAGE ENDS+++

+++ INCOMING MESSAGE +++

+++ PRIORITY ALPHA-3 +++

TRANSMITTED:  Macragge

RECEIVED:  Wrath of Ventanus, Magog Cluster

DATE:  4523707.M38

TELEPATHIC DUCT:  Librarium-terminus Marcelius

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  Let no one dishonor your past

• Minimum sized force needed

• Condition force per Corrigere Sanction protocols
  • If able, recover evidence
  • Rendezvous with Torchbearer at coordinates P9 456/A4 4551707-4559707.M38

+++ MESSAGE ENDS+++

+++ INCOMING MESSAGE +++

+++ PRIORITY ALPHA-3 +++

DATE:  7530707.M38

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  The mistakes of the past will be cleansed in fire

• Squad Praetus, Venerable Brother Praetus commanding, dispatched

• Squad Praetus conditioned in accordance with Corrigere Sanction protocols, trigger “Sanctitas”
  • Will relay result of mission

+++ MESSAGE ENDS+++

+++ INCOMING MESSAGE +++

+++ PRIORITY ALPHA-1 +++

DATE:  7826707.M38

SUBJECT:  Sanctitas Mission

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  Look to the Codex Astartes for guidance

• Sanctitas mission successful