Sons of Doom Blog [pic heavy]

Brother Cambrius

Time to return and continue in building my beloved army methinks! Hopefully over the next few months, you'll see me work on painting a number of models to become part of my Sons of Doom army. :P

+++

Back at Uni I finally managed to break out the pots again and finished up my Terminator Librarian, whom I've been working on and off with for a long long while now. (I got him before the advent of washes and finecast...shame on me!

I tried to make him have green eyes that are glowing as if he's using his psyker abilities to gain true aim as he fires his storm bolter. (I think I'm one of the few who have used this setup on the librarian model instead of the hand.)

So thus, here is Epistolary Glacius Pyrox, commander of the Psyker section of the sons of Doom:

gallery_26154_2055_686351.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2805146.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1866979.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2548503.jpg

Any and all opinions/comments appreciated. ^_^

Cambrius

He looks great. And yes the eyes are a bit spooky – can't help looking at them in fact. Great Librarian.

Thanks Isiah. Glad to hear the eyes worked in standing out and drawing your attention to them. Did their job nicely. :D

Cambrius

Another day or two passes and I complete more models that have been waiting for completion for some time...:)

So first of all is my 3rd Librarian I possess, Codicier Kyros Bassal. You'll notice that the blue armour of the librarians are paler than the usual tone of dark blue my chapter use, the reason why is because on Auton, the home-planet of the Sons of Doom, tribes people often wore a bronze coloured armour to protect themselves, however, no armour was applied upon the chest or head as it was the belief that the Emperor would decide if they would die that day. The dark blue however originated form the traditional war paint that would be daubed on the unarmoured areas on the warriors. Thus when the Codex's colour designations to represent Techmarines, Chaplains and Librarians are used, the only part that is painted in that colour is the formerly unarmoured regions of the Astartes. To paint over the bronze areas is seen as an insult of the highest degree to the warriors past and to the machine spirits of their battle plate.

gallery_26154_2055_2425687.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2425726.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2425737.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2425696.jpg

And next is a converted Emperor's champion, with whom I've converted and have made my Company Champion, whom is named after a certain Moderator here who kindly donated me the shields with the skulls you see on some of my vehicles in previous blogs, I'm still very very grateful for the generosity of that.

Thus, I give you 5th Company Champion Corpus:

gallery_26154_2055_2425574.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2425612.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2425584.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2425620.jpg

As always, all comments and opinions are greatly appreciated brothers! More to come soon in the form of a Multi Melta wielding Dev. ;)

Cambrius

That champion looks ace, how are you doing the blues?

Thanks Reyner. for the blues I do the following:

Librarian:

Basecoat of Mordian blue

2 thin layers of Enchanted blue

Highlight with Ice blue

Wash with Asurmen Blue

Touch up any details and highlights with above

Champion and normal Sons of Doom:

Basecoat of Necron Abyss

2 Thin layers of Regal Blue

Highlight with 2:1 Enchanted Blue:Regal Blue

Wash with Asurmen Blue

Touch up details as before.

A new marine is also coming soon today to display. Stay tuned! :)

Cambrius

Another marine completed! This time it's a Devastator Marine wielding a Multi Melta, the weapon painted gold in places as a result of it being wielded in the Kernax Crusade against the Chaos forces of the Hatred's Tools, the gold helping to shine the light of the Emperor in battle and with holy litanies of purity also written upon the weapon.

Thus, here is Brother Sanctan of the Fifth Company:

gallery_26154_2055_198905.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_53923.jpg

All comments as always are welcome. Next we may see some of my Custom Sternguard I've been working on for a year or so now. :)

Cambrius

Those are some nice Librarians, Cambrius. The Termie one looks especially eerie and inhuman with his eyes that way.

A comment on the Emperor's Champion: Is there a reason the fabric on him is red? It just seems to clash with the nice Blue/Bronze scheme that the Sons of Doom have.

Those are some nice Librarians, Cambrius. The Termie one looks especially eerie and inhuman with his eyes that way.

A comment on the Emperor's Champion: Is there a reason the fabric on him is red? It just seems to clash with the nice Blue/Bronze scheme that the Sons of Doom have.

Thanks xKhorneHunter57x! :) Glad the eyes are doing the trick nicely.

Yes there is a reason for the red cloak, in the Sons of Doom, there are 2 main tribes/ethnic groups (The Ordovics and Silurs) that populate their homeplanet and they had been bloody enemies for many centuries, fighting for the safe, shielded and stable areas of the planet that is not ravaged by the daily volcanic eruptions and earthquakes that make some parts of the planet a death zone. When the Sons of Doom claimed Auton as their homeworld, the Chapter made an uneasy peace between the two warring groups to help unite the planet in aiding the chapter with the industry and raw materials sourced on Auton from its ever changing face along the equator and plate boundaries. Thus when the Sons of Doom choose an aspirant from either tribe, or from some of the lesser known and smaller tribes, the aspirant may wear the colour of his tribe upon his left kneepad in a stripe or on any ceremonial cloaks/robes later on. The Astartes of the chapter often have competitions and in battle the Astartes form each tribe often attempt to out do their rivals in their skill and battle prowess.

The Silurs' tribe colours are traditionally black primarily with gold, whilst the Ordovics' tribe colour is crimson red primarily with white. Hence when a Battle Brother is promoted to Captain, his Cloak of Office is the colour of the tribe he originated from as shown below:

gallery_26154_2055_3500123.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_2397072.jpg

Kneepad of both Ordovic and Silur clan members. (Note due to being 5th Company members, the Silur black stripe is replaced with gold being their secondary colour. The same applies with white to 3rd Company Ordovic members):

gallery_26154_2055_5252.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1591.jpg

Hope that made sense. :)

Cambrius

Thanks xKhorneHunter57x! :ph34r: Glad the eyes are doing the trick nicely.
Only one 'x', at the end. :devil: (bit of background-it represents a variable, i.e. 57 * x)

brief essay on the tribes of Auton

You know, it is stuff like this that I think make the Sons of Doom stand out as a DIY chapter. It seems that you have a fluff reason for every single thing you do with them.

And that makes me wonder two things: Are the Librarians Ordovics using the accent color for their robes, are they from a lesser-known tribe that uses off-white as its main color (perhaps a tribe with a higher genetic likelihood for psykers), or is there another reason their tabards are that color? And are squads mono-tribe, or do the Sons of Doom mix tribes within squads?

Always good to see the Sons going strong Brother Cambrius!

Keep it up! :)

Yep they're still going on strong! Can't abandon my beloved chapter can I? ;)

Thanks xKhorneHunter57x! :) Glad the eyes are doing the trick nicely.
Only one 'x', at the end. ;) (bit of background-it represents a variable, i.e. 57 * x)

My bad KH57x. ;)

brief essay on the tribes of Auton

You know, it is stuff like this that I think make the Sons of Doom stand out as a DIY chapter. It seems that you have a fluff reason for every single thing you do with them.

And that makes me wonder two things: Are the Librarians Ordovics using the accent color for their robes, are they from a lesser-known tribe that uses off-white as its main color (perhaps a tribe with a higher genetic likelihood for psykers), or is there another reason their tabards are that color? And are squads mono-tribe, or do the Sons of Doom mix tribes within squads?

I sorta have been developing stuff like this for the past 4 and a bit years of collecting my chapter, coming up with ideas often whilst painting them. :)

In regards to the Librarians, the members of the Psyker division wear the off white coloured robes to represent that they are bound to the Emperor and the robes help to reflect his light. Pure white isn't used because it could be easily mistaken for people to believe that the Psykers in the chapter all originate from one Clan (the Ordovics). The parchment colour also ties in with the symbolism that the Librarians protect the accounts and histories of the Sons of Doom. Whilst not present on the 2 Librarians in this thread, due to Chief Librarian Pyrox originating from the parent chapter the SODs originate form, and Codicier Bassal being recruited from beyond Auton during the Gaia crusade to cleanse the Tyranids, where the 4th, 5th and elements of the 2nd companies were pretty much wiped out by the Tyranid menace. Thus they both do not show a clan marking, however non Autonian recruits can choose to wear a specific colour that would represent the equivalent of their tribe if they wished. The SODs see that it is vital to remember where you had come from to ensure you knew what you were fighting for in the eternal war to protect the Imperium.

<EDIT> Forgot to answer the second part on whether squads are monotribe or not.

The chapter do their utmost in making the chapter's squad diverse in tribes, often having half and half of Ordovics and Silurs, however the other minor tribes (the Denavs and Permins) also are in there to add to the squad's diversity and tactical prowess and knowledge. Often the Squad sergeant and 2nd in command are from different tribes, so that one squad isn't too top heavy in its tribe levels of command.

Cambrius

• 2 weeks later...

Update time! This time I present 3 new heavy weapon wiedling marines for you to look over. :huh:

First of all, this is an AOBR Marine I got when I bought the box set a couple of years ago now, I've still got to paint up a number of those marines, including the sergeant who's half painted at the moment. :whistling:

You’ll just about notice holy litanies have been written upon the casing of the heavy bolter, alongside them being painted gold. This is common on number of the chapter’s marines, originating from the Erdavus campaign, when the Sons of Doom fought against the Chaos Marines of the Hatred's Tools and the daemons that followed alongside their Daemon Prince leader, Lord Kalkus. The golden painting was done to reflect the Emperor's holy light, to help banish the taint of Chaos, and the litanies helping to strengthen the Sons' faith in battle against the denizens of the warp. A large number of the chapter still have the golden paint on their firearms, this is often an indicator of how long the brother has served with the chapter. Although as with the attrition of war, a number of veterans from that campaign have now had to use new weaponry due to the firearms they used have been worn or destroyed beyond repair.

So here we have Brother Tardyg of the 5th Squad, 5th Comapny:

gallery_26154_2055_460541.jpggallery_26154_2055_195747.jpggallery_26154_2055_385108.jpggallery_26154_2055_195222.jpg

Next we have another Missile Launcher wielding marine, this being Brother Trymtan of the 9th Squad, 5th Company:

gallery_26154_2055_57973.jpggallery_26154_2055_95871.jpggallery_26154_2055_262609.jpggallery_26154_2055_321161.jpg

And finally, Heavy Bolter wielding Brother Saethon of the 10th Squad, 5th Company.:

gallery_26154_2055_214562.jpggallery_26154_2055_425370.jpggallery_26154_2055_332375.jpggallery_26154_2055_372173.jpg

That's all for now folks! Comments and critiques are very much appreciated and encouraged! :(

Cambrius

Sternguard update time! I've been working on building custom Sternguard marines for around a year and a bit now and I'm slowly finishing the first few up, with another 5 requiring basing and spraying.

So thus here are two of the marines fully painted up, Brother Veteran Tritus, wielding a Rindaris Pattern combi-flamer and Brother Veteran Micus, wielding a combi-plasma, pilfered form the Librarian Terminator set:

gallery_26154_2055_120189.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_295647.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_309222.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_273837.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_252504.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_252519.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_252713.jpg

As always, any and all comments/critiques/opinions is greatly welcomed brothers. :D

Cambrius

I really like how your sternguard have come out so far. I especially like the new color for the eyes. It seems to stick out better. Your painting also seems to be getting more clean and crisp. Keep it up and I cant wait to see the rest of the squad.

Andrew J

I really like how your sternguard have come out so far. I especially like the new color for the eyes. It seems to stick out better. Your painting also seems to be getting more clean and crisp. Keep it up and I cant wait to see the rest of the squad.

Andrew J

Thanks Andrew. :) they stick out better with the bronze helms but they never work well with the blue helms sadly as I did trial this recently. Thanks for saying my painting getting better, I'm tempted to upload a picture of my first ever painted Space Marine when I was a young lad from nearly 5 years ago now. <_<

I'll post up an image of these two marines with their Razorback/Rhino transport soon.

Cambrius

• 4 weeks later...

Well after much toil and work, I have finally finished my work on my first half of the custom Sternguard I've been working on on and off for the past couple of years. Thus here is the rest of Squad #1, led by Honoured Veteran Sergeant Rez.

And firstly, here is Veteran Sergeant Rez.

Honoured Veteran Sergeant Rez was promoted to the Veteran Company in 802.M41 and became the leader of his own squad of Sternguard after his exemplary leadership of Sternguard Squad Korren after Sergeant Korren himself had fallen to the blades of the Eldar, during a surprise ambush on the squad as they cleared out the holy chambers of the Cathedral of St. Sebastian as the Eldar attempted to steal a relic from within the hallowed chambers. Since taking over from honoured Korren, Veteran Sergeant Rez had lead his squad with distinction, and has earned many honours with them as they defend humanity from the xenos, heretic and mutant. Rez was given the honour of carrying his banner to battle after his squads heroic actions in the Siege of Fortress Anvilus, his banner displays a black and white chequerboard design displaying his squad's distinguished service in cleansing the Ork hordes from the Felandas System, the skull displaying the honour of Rez having once served within the 3rd Company's Command Squad as their Standard Bearer.:

gallery_26154_2055_22121.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_95746.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_403996.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_4459.jpg

Next we have Veteran Lostan, wielding a Combi-Plasma and bolt pistol.

Veteran Lostan distinguished himself into becoming part of Squad Rez after he displayed supreme fortitude and unerring accuracy defending the Industrial Verten Complex as he struck down the Chaos forces of the Hatred's Tools time and time again, whilst defending an exposed defence trench line to allow the Sons of Doom to gain further time in bringing the reinforcements of their closely knit brother chapter, the Heralds of Vandemar to bear. His actions heavily contributed to slowing the advance of Chaos Marines and cultists as his fellow brothers from the Second Company's squad Alenis in the same trench line were killed or too badly wounded to continue fighting by the punishing firepower of the enemy. When reinforcements eventually came and pushed the Chaos forces back, reinforcing the defence line Lostan had worked so hard to defend, the Sons of Doom found their now honoured brother sitting up in the churned mud within the trench, still shooting at the retreating enemy, despite taking a large wound in his leg and abdomen from enemy artillery. Directly after the victory of the campaign, Brother Lostan was promoted to the 1st Company, joining under Sgt. Rez's command in 932.M41.:

gallery_26154_2055_530117.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_447417.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_296162.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_224997.jpg

Next is Veteran Lavan wielding his blessed modified bolter and combat blade. (the tin bitz on his base has been removed)

Veteran Lavan is the most recent addition to Squad Rez in 940.M41, in this short space of time, he has earned himself many battle honours and awards for his unwavering bravery, even for an Astartes and for his ferocity in counter assaulting those whom attempt to engage Squad Rez in close combat. He never goes into battle without his large combat blade, a gift given to him and his former squad when he served in the 4th company, after rescuing and relieving the 4th Coltes Regiment of Imperial Guardsmen, also known as the "Hunting Blades" due to the long combat blades they carried into battle. After saving the Guardsmen's commander from the oncoming rush of the Orks, the commander gave each of the Astartes in Lavan's squad the traditional combat blade wielded by the guardsmen in a mark of thanks. As a mark of respect for the Battle Brothers that fought alongside him in that battle, Lavan always uses his combat blade against the many enemies that face the chapter.

gallery_26154_2055_178399.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_124163.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_294861.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_103270.jpg

And finally we have Veteran Craer, wielding an ancient relic bolter.

Veteran Craer has been the longest serving member within squad Rez, including its time when Sergeant Korren commanded it. Earning his place in the 1st company after his exemplary battle prowess against the Tyranid horde during the campaigns to blunt the xenos' advances in 768.M41, Veteran Craer has earned a multitude of battle honours in his service as an Astartes of the Sons of Doom. He was bestowed the honour of carrying the relic armour and armament blessed to the Sons by their parent chapter. Craer is often the most perceptive within Squad Rez of spotting any new dangers and targets for the squad to repress and destroy. He is often heard over the squad's vox calling out new threats for Sergeant Rez to acknowledge and engage if necessary. Craer is often regarded as a mentor to the younger members of the squad due to his much greater experience and length of service, when he speaks advice, his fellow Astartes always listen intently to his counsel.

gallery_26154_2055_54069.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_289510.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_476694.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_4698.jpg

And finally, a picture of the squad together:

gallery_26154_2055_531828.jpg

Comments are as always greatly appreciated and accepted! ^_^

Cambrius

Archived