Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

Something in my brain broke when I looked at this guy.

You broke reality with that pose. It's...like his body and legs exist in two separate niches in space and time. wacko.png

Ok, a bit melodramatic, but I honestly did have a real sense of discomfort when I tried to process it. The legs just don't seem possible. It may help to have some limited piece of background for him to be standing on, like the outline of stairs or something, but just free-floating there their positioning doesn't seem feasible.

Partly it's because of the body. Everything going into the foreground from the waist up, including that sizable collection of extra weapons and gubs, is his right side leading into the left of the page. Then, somehow, his left leg is breaking into the foreground while the right leg is sucked into some impossible vortex into the background. And then there's the sword, a perfectly flat void smack dab in the middle of this storm, which just divides the disjointed up-and-down segments even more and covers the waist, which could potentially have made sense of this contortion.

Although honestly, I'm feeling like something as simple as three lines to show stairs or whatever he's standing on would fix my aneurysm in progress. My eyes want to believe what they're looking at, but my brain can't accept it. laugh.png

It's like: http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/assembly-instructions-hell.jpeg

Anyway! I like the design. Well, mostly I like all the techy gubs jutting out of his spine.

@Firepower, I know this one's not great on perspective, but man, you're redefining hyperbole now. His right leg is pulled back, the left one to the front (not that big a difference in size between the two), and he's slightly tilting forward. The "flat" blad is a bit of a demand when I'm all about concept and not the scene: I have to show the wargear.

Anywho: Vazzy, you get up right now and fire a smoochie-round (not a Harlequin Kiss, mind you) at your missus, she's just earned you a side-order of drawing. So send me a PM right away with your character of choice: Space Marines or Primarchs-only, I'm afraid, either your brainchildren or a famous one.

Cheers, all, and no worries. More challenges will come.

That is one well-armed Techmarine, for sure! happy.png

I think my favourite bit might be the boots, though. The design on the front of them is fairly simple, but it looks damn cool.biggrin.png

EDIT:

Done with sleep as of now.

Must enter the next competition. laugh.png

Thanks, guys. I think we all agree when I say KBA's standards for conversions are one hell of an inspiration for concepts.

So I'm finishing a surprise piece, then I'll wrap the DIY prizes with Deathknight2000's char, after which comes Delvarus. The good Triari will then be followed by some truly special pieces, including Vazzy's, which is a true challenge, and, hopefully, Jaspcat's.

Should keep me occupied for a while smile.png

Thank you so very much, brothers, for making this my go-to posting spot. Bummer I haven't had the time to get into the usual fluff debates. Cheers smile.png

PS: About the archaeotech plasma weapon, it's called "Last Voyage of the White Lady", it predates the Emperor's ascension and depicts a pivotal moment in Catheric faith, the first instance of a Saint (said Lady) was expelled from Heaven by the angelic host for defying God. It was done by the last known Catheric artisan and, unlike other plasma weapons, it projects plasma as a continuous beam, which is only available due to its multiple heat-dissipation systems, from exhausts to the energy-disposal pylons (the little needles).

Hey, kids, look who's visiting again. It's uncle Murciel, the Hivegorger.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/267/2/5/hivegorger_murciel___revisited_by_greyall-d80dt4s.jpg

Come night, in the dark, the gravedigger toils,

He puts to rest the killer's crops

The sun never rises, dawn never comes

Gravedigger, poor gravedigger,

Your toil never stops.

Nostraman Children's Rhyme

Probably the only psycho in the Night Lords' ranks...Pretty happy with the evolution from the previous one, toned down the bat-theme and the armour looks much more cohesive.

Here's oldie-pants:

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/332/e/7/hive_gorger_murciel_by_greyall-d4hkc3l.jpg

Next...Twilight! Well, no, but I like to bring out raw hate in all of you msn-wink.gif It is vampire-related, though.

The design is delicious.  The pose is a bit wonky.  All that bulk resting on just one visible leg has a weird effect to it.  It's obvious the other leg is hidden by the one in the foreground, it just looks a bit awkward is all.  Not a damning fault by any means.  The positioning on the braziers on his back, on the other hand, is more than a little off.  At that angle, assuming the two are symmetrically placed on his back, they shouldn't be perfectly vertical like that.

It didn't really come across as Night Lord when I looked at it, though.  I only knew because I read the text.  The swooping armor of his mask and shins is hinting at it, but it stops at Slaaneshy/Dark Elven design rather than going fully through to Night Lord bat stuff.  I know that was a goal, to tune down the bat stuff, but a tiny bit more might've been better.  Maybe.  Not entirely sure, seeing as it is a bit of an excessive image to cover a character in.

It's interesting to see how your style has refined since the beginning of this thread.

He's new, and improved. He is awesome, but so was the past one msn-wink.gif . Like Firepower said you've refined your style. It reminds me of some of your WOW drawings on Deviant-art page. It might be the use of bone, skulls, and teeth. I like the evolution of his armor from then until now it shows how much your grown, and I look forward to your future drawings.

I'm looking forward to this vampire one biggrin.png

Ooh, a revised version of one of my favourite pieces of your artwork. I love both... hard to pick which version I like more...

As far as the new one goes, I particularly like the cleaner face / helm, the braziers and the angling of the heavy flamer. The greaves and the sword are also really nicely done. I miss the more obvious ribcage breastplate though, I loved that on the original.

I must resist the urge to ask for an Iron Warrior... pinch.gif

Well, Firepower went and stole my thunder again I see.  :D

Only complaint I have that he didn't hit is the sword blade doesn't seem to be in the same perspective plane as the grip and his hand, like it's off at a really wonky angle.

I'll disagree with him in that I feel you've got just enough iconography on there to identify him as one of Kurze's bunch.  Love the heavy flamer, too.

Archived