Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

FW has to bring that Mark of terminator armor back!

Yes. Yes they do! :)

As long as it looks like that at least! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

High five!

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/320/e/1/horus_heresy___brothers_by_greyall-d5l731x.jpg

So, Olisredan and Chapter Master Onyxius made a joint request. They provided me with a very detailed account of a battle between two Captains of the Imperial Fists and World Eaters. Said account mentioned armour marks, armament, and even fighting scenes.

By far the hardest parts were to convery a sense of motion to the Marines (I have to perfect my drawing style, sick of me little Astartes looking so stiff) and the thrice-damned power talon...there's a reason I draw those things seen from the back.

Also, Imperial Fists are kind of hard to draw...not only are they somewhat "conventional" in their armour-déco (as are the Ultramarines), their symbol is a pain in the arse to reproduce and doesn't stick in every crevasse like the inverted Omega.

Cheers, everyone, I'm now entering a new phase. The Heresy Champions will be slowed down since I'm producing a portfolio with examples from various races of the 40K universe (not all of them, I just need to show I can draw skinny armour, muscles, beasts, etc.) so I'm not confined to Power Armour. First one up is a daemon, so I'll be able to show it to you guys. I'll try to sneak some marines in-between so I'm not too absent.

Cheers, everyone. Thanks once again.

By far the hardest parts were to convery a sense of motion to the Marines

Well, I think you've succeeded :)

Left Marine: "Suffering from indigestion World Eater? I have the answer right here!" ;)

I also love the World Eaters' helmet - the jagged "teeth" on the face mask part is awesome sauce! ;)

High five!

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/320/e/1/horus_heresy___brothers_by_greyall-d5l731x.jpg

:)

I... I believe I just had a moment there. I can't stop grinning. Simply wonderful stuff. Love the intricate detail on Captain Crocell (the World Eater) and the epitome of of a Mark 4 armoured commander, Captain Krane (the Fist). Now I'm wondering how the devil I will ever recreate that archeotech pistol... ;)

@Aquilanus: Thanks a bunch, man.

@Olisredan: Very glad you like the pair. The World Eater was certainly one of the most fun characters I've ever drawn...excluding that power talon...the larger a hand, the more difficult it is to draw.

The World Eater was certainly one of the most fun characters I've ever drawn...excluding that power talon...the larger a hand, the more difficult it is to draw.

He certainly looks like you had fun with him. That helm is one of the best helmets I've seen anywhere in years, aesthetically speaking. It is so... World Eater-y it's impossible to mistake it for anything else. Wait... wait... I've just noticed the cloaks. Wow. Great attention to detail, brother. My hat's off to you sir. :)

Now I'm going to be religiously following this thread in the vain hope of seeing and answering the next quiz before anyone else :P

And yet also fearing it, in case it comes true, and I struggle to do justice to one of your fantastic drawings with a model :S

Hi Greyall,

I am really amazed at the quality of your work...As I believe you like the Minotaurs, would it be too much to ask you to visit my Minotaurs blog in the index Astartes section (also found in my signature)...You may find some inspiration there. I am also glad to share that the army was nominated for the best army award during ToS in October. I hope you find your visit interesting and inspiring!!! B)

Epic as alway Greyall. I always love how you manage to re-invent the steel everytime by making beautiful armors, and weoponry. And it's nice to hear your advancing your artisitic skill by venturing into other races too. I'd love to see your version of an Eldar Fire Dragon Exarch.

Very nice, I have to say - it might have caused you grief, but the power claw is awesome! The drawing has a nice feel of motion and (as mentioned above) the small touches like the chaos helmets maw, or the IGs sword hilt really make the drawing make it stand out and takes it all to the next level. You have every right to be proud!

I take it we can find your non-PA work appearing elsewhere on the internet so we can keep tabs on your superb drawings and their high level of awesome? (Sneaky tip - do requests for marines being buried under lots of Xenos :cuss)

Finally...or is it just the right time in the grand scheme of things...?

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/326/9/c/lord_of_change_by_greyall-d5lu6pa.jpg

So the challenge is (Re)Doing What's Right. I take warhammer miniatures that seem outdated, give them a hammer to the face and see how they turn out. The Lord of Change was my first go. The current one, I think, lacks in Chaosness. Tzeentch is more about randomness and has an aquatic facet to him as well.

Special mention goes to the hourglass on one of his left hands, was quite fun to draw.

This was probably the hardest drawing I've ever done. I know I say this a lot, but this fellow must've had around 4 faces (finished and detailed) before I settled for this one. One more try and the paper would've ripped.

The point is that you find this cool as a miniature project, since I'll be trying to show GW I can draw something other than power armour.

Next one will be a Tyranid Biovore, I'll provide the link once it's done.

Thanks, mateys

Even thou I'm no fan of Tzeench this would be the sweet honey in my ear to make me swear off the Emperor. If this model existed I would not want to be the guy painting this cause I would want it to be 100% beautiful or I would never feel complete. :(

KILLITKILLITKILLITKILLIT!

Seriously, I'd hate to have to crusade on such a talented artist jsut because he strayed from the awesomeness of proper, loyalist astartes.

More properly serious, impressive as always. I particularly like the piece of work before...the evil thing.

I've put away my pencils in shame after seeing what you do, but I'm happy enough just seeing what you produce instead. Except, you know, these blasphemous bird demon skeleton walrus things (if he's not a walrus now he will be soon enough, those darn Tzeenchies).

Also, his left hip (viewer's right, where the chain connects) seems unusually undefined, given how taut the rest of his physique is

everytime i check out this thread there is somthing new that amazes me. fantastic job yet again man. i hope GW puts you on thier payrole.

P.S any idea when we might see a flesh tearer in the near future? i bet you could draw a killer Amit.....wink wink...

Archived