Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

Lots and lots and lots of fine detail drawing = insanity, dementia, vertigo, crossed eyes, hallucinations, acute depression, bad gas, hang nails, planters wart, pneumonia, club foot, halitosis, memory loss, seizures, divorce, and/or brain death.

I'm looking forward to seeing if it was worth it teehee.gif

Please elaborate? ohmy.png

I think that he refers to the first of many prizes that he awarded some time ago ^_^

In any case, it'll be worth the wait ;)

I re-checked my prize list and the 1st prize was "just" the Codex-cover drawing, not the heraldry =p

Rather than sounding cheap, this is actually fortunate, since I was eager to show you my most ambitious drawing to date.

So, Special Issue Ammo, it is my great pleasure to give you your award.

Ladies and gents, based on Raphael's "School of Athens", I present to you The Guardian Eagles...

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/085/7/b/school_of_astarthens_by_greyall-d5zc9ro.jpg

Special Issue Ammo was kind (and eager =p) enough to provide me with lots of info for every one of these characters except the one who's talking to the Chapter Master. This saved me a good deal of time, although, with so many marines, it was always going to take an eternity. Then came the scenery and things didn't ease a bit...

I'm tired as hell. But tomorrow I'll start on Octavulg's prize.

Thank you much, guys. Let me know what you think. Especially you, Ammo.

Holy hell in a haberdashery's hole of humbling...I'm out of h words!

No wonder you lost some gray matter along the way. Once I overcome the awe, I will enjoy going through this and picking it apart one error at a time devil.gif

But for opening comments~

The thing I like most is that, despite being lineart and consequentially lacking shading or color to break up objects, you crammed a whole ton of detail onto the piece without making it into a cluttered mess where you can't pick out specific details.

The thing that's already nagging at me, you have a slant to the stairs and they meet the wall on the far left in an odd sort of way (which you mostly covered up), but the slant doesn't seem to really carry through to the perspective or angles of the marines on top, aside from their feet. The guys in the foreground do a better job of following the very slight perspective shift from left to right, which actually makes it all the more apparent how the guys on the stairs aren't doing the same.

The perspective really falls apart if you follow the architecture on the left of the piece up to the point where the characters are standing.

Well, Ammo is NOT going to be disappointed!  I can see why you feel knackered after this picture.

Insane amount of detail! ^_^

Rubbish.  Utter tripe.  I've seen better done by si-

< CZ is dragged out of view.  Sounds of a severe beating being administered and screaming can be heard >

Ahem.  That bit of comedy aside, this is utterly magnificent.  The little details just astound:  The nonstandard muzzle brake on the leftmost terminator.  The arcoflaggelent on the right (seriously, wow!).  The tau about to be executed.  The overall sense of movement.  The icon on the chapter master.  I could go on for days, and I'm still finding little bits I hadn't noticed on first, second, and tenth view.

Perhaps a little constructive criticism, though I'm hesistant to even say it after how much work you've put into this: The chapter master's non-sword-wielding hand seems...detached from his body.  Maybe it's the abundance of chains behind it, butg I can't see how it's attached to his upper arm.

Grey, I think you did a fantastic job with this one, not only did you bring to life a DIY'ers greatest dreams to reality, you succeeded in making it a wonderful piece to look at. With every detail you've really stepped up to the task with this one brother. thumbsup.gif

Thanks, mates

@Firepower: You know perspective and I don't get along, brother. I've got some lousy spatial notion.

@Zephyr: Very true. That arm will bug me for all eternity. Problem with these very cluttered drawings is that erasing some mistakes implies clearing a lot of well-done work. And I've actually done it with a few other badly drawn elements.

Fair enough, and perspective is a pain :)

Normally it's not a huge issue with your work given the lack of background. But the stage is so defined here and soooo wrong that now I have a hard time looking at the marines :teehee:

But there is no way you could fix it without erasing half the work, so whatever. I'll just have to make you feel bad til you train yourself to do perspective proper ;)

woot.gif drool.gif

Curse you Greyall! I'm supposed to be studying for my test tommorrow, but I just had to quickly check the B&C... now I can''t stop looking. :( wallbash.gif

It is a work of superlative quality, and it really does make me physically smile. :) Minor character design differences, but the overall effect, scene tone and quality leaves me gobsmacked. I hope it wasn't a chore drawing it. You must be pretty tired of aquilas and chains now :P (in fact, on Kromm i think you might even have gone a little overboard with the chains :D)

Love how the arco-flagellated marine came out (those bladed wing vabrances on his arms are inspired!) and the little deformed court reporter on the left taking dictation on his scroll is a fantastic thematic tie-in to the scene and the chapter in general. My favourite characters have to be your depictions of Kruzimier, Kastern or Oberast. Their poses in particular perfectly suit their places in the composition, and perhaps some of their character as well.

@Messor: an outdated IA for the chapter is available, but its old, and TL:DR. As Greyall said, I was more than happy to deluge him in long-winded posts about my characters, so maybe Greyall might let some fluff be inserted somewhere on this thread? I'm more than happy for the Guardian Eagles to hold the spotlight until Greyall reveals his next masterpiece... msn-wink.gif

Many, many gracias to everyone.

Very glad you like them, Ammo. Feel free to post some fluff on the characters.

Also, yes, I did go overboard with Kromm, I thought it'd look badass for him to have a cloak made of chains, imagine the noise

All the thanks, once again. Octavulg's prize is already underway.

Archived