Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

One for each traitor Legion. Night Lords are next, then probably the Emperor's Children.

Edit: Don't take this as a bump - the Night Lord is coming in tonight, unless I'm mauled by either thugs or my fiancé - but I'm really curious as to why Konrad Curze's Legion is getting the most expectation out of all the Raptors still to come. Is it ADB's fault? It's quite possible, but then I also have the feeling Night Lords are one of those Old School-ish armies that get a great deal of love from older players. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I ask this because, if I was to gather data on how many times I've been asked to draw Legion X's Raptor, the X would equal Night Lords a massively whole lot more than any other Legion. Actually, apart from the NLs, only the World Eaters (my personal favourite) have been referred. I know there are Emperor's Children and Iron Warrior lovers, as well as (to a lesser degree? - I speculate) Word Bearers adepts.

Do enlighten me.

Well, yes...how can i explain that?

Let's say that raptors stand to NL a bit like obliterators stand for IW.

When you think of an oblit, instinctively, you think IW, and when you wonder about raptors, midnight armour with lightnings come to mind.

It's just a natural association, a reflex, if you may.

And yes, they do get some love from the players who started collecting chaos after the 2nd edition codex came out (like me, BTW).

They were the army showcased there...and, i may add, the most surprising one.

Chaos renegades that do not give half a thought about chaos worship? I dont think you could get much cooler than that.

They were, probably, chosen to show us that traitor marines are not spawns of the gods, but , rather, have their own agendas too (this, probably, is less true when you think about the legions worshipping the big 4, maybe the word bearers too).

Great answer, mate, thanks.

You're right, Raptors are naturally tied to Night Lords, something I hadn't thought of even though the Night Lord was the first of this series I sketched. I kind of got excited with the idea of giving Raptors to Legions that wouldn't usually field them.

Well, only one day late...my best mark. Anyway...

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/292/3/c/alvaur___roar___cravasson_by_greyall-d4dafkd.jpg

Alvaur Cravasson everyone, also called "Roar" because of the way he likes to begin every assault on a city/ship/fortress. Poor Cravasson, it's not that he actually does it on purpose, the "roar" is actually his cry of agony once the drugs in his back-mounted vials start flowing through his veins. Drugs akin to those the Eversor used, but warped by Chaos - ok, most of them are full-on daemonic blood.

But let me tell you his story.

Cravasson had long been the Raptor leader in service of Krieg Acerbus when he encountered Brother Corbulo of the Blood Angels on the battlefield of Tethraz. A great warrior too arrogant for his own good, Cravasson (at the time donning a richly detailed armour of midnight and bronze with the Atramentar lion head on the shoulder plate) underestimated the Sanguinary Priest and got a shot to the face for his mistake, courtesy of Corbulo's Carnifex (it's a pistol-like device all Apothecaries possess).

Acerbus saw the opportunity in this. Cravasson had never been the most staunch supporter of his "fear as an end" philosophy - although his loyalty was as unquestionable as a Night Lord could provide -, and here was a chance to make a shining example for all the Warband to see. A visit to Fabius Bile later, the Raptor had gone from being at the edge of death to being at the edge of sanity, now transformed into a drug-fuelled nightmare and a psychotic parody of an Apothecary, Fabius having binded adamantium-tipped syringes, piston-powered spikes and Cravasson's own twin chainswords in what he dubbed Mortheciums.

No more richly detailed armour for Cravasson, now. No more thinking about the ways of the Legion. No more underestimating. Now, all that Alvaur Cravasson sees beyond the red-tinged screaming masks of death of his enemies, are the faces of warp-denizens too great for him to comprehend, their laughter running through his veins as he rushes to the next kill.

On the drawing: Rather than embodying a theme, this guy is all about key aspects. The Nostraman lion skull-helmet (vox caster inside, if you look closely), the drug vials, the Apothecary-like weapons and the thunderbolt patterns on his armour. These patterns are made to resemble veins, as well, and my idea is for them to glow white when Cravasson presses the "Drugs On!" button. Also, notice the tiny claws between his fingers, great for gouging out eyes or removing faces. Hope you like this guy, he was extremely difficult to pose, but overall I'm happy with him.

Corbulo's Carnifex
I thought that a Carnifex was a towering organic construct belonging to the Tyranid race, the Narthecium being the chosen tool of the Apothecaries. Oh it's the component part. ;)

Other than that,

I am completely in love with both his story and the drawing. ;)

So did I, imagine my suprise when I read that Apothecaries carried a giant Tyranid on their wrists. It seems the Narthecium is the gauntlet, and one of the devices included there is the Carnifex, a spring-powered pistol-like device used to give a clean, quick death to Marines beyond assistance. Essentialy, it fires a metal piston into their brains.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Carnifex_%...29#.Tp6k8nJL4rg

Glad you like Cravasson, mate. He doesn't get that from many people, these days. Although there was an Emperor's Child who tried to be spared using that premise. Didn't work. Actually, I think it's him hanging from that last vial. He always liked chains, anyway.

So did I, imagine my suprise when I read that Apothecaries carried a giant Tyranid on their wrists. It seems the Narthecium is the gauntlet, and one of the devices included there is the Carnifex, a spring-powered pistol-like device used to give a clean, quick death to Marines beyond assistance. Essentialy, it fires a metal piston into their brains.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Carnifex_%...29#.Tp6k8nJL4rg

In fact that specific term and bit of fluff precedes Nids a great deal - going back to 1st or 2nd edition (whichever edition the compendium and compilation books were written for). The carnifex is ironically based on a device they now use in slaughterhouses on cattle referred to often as a "bolt gun".

I like the design, love the story behind it more. Kudos and keep it up

oh hot damn!

i love the new guy, but i also hate you, cuz now i've got to go looking for a sabre toothed cat skull to build a meanie like him for my army :tu:

once again i find myself lost in all the little details your art provides.

can't wait for more :)

Yes, definitely the best one so far. Not as crowded as the others with a clearly defined theme and interesting weapons. The angle is also refreshing from usual 40k artwork, which is almost always full on to display all the fancy details.

Do you mind if I try to model a miniature after this one?

Well, i think you managed to make everyone happy! Most NL fans (that includes me!) woul probably say that acerbus' company is far from the spirit f the legion, but this madman is so "charming" that you cant possibly dislike him!

Ever considered coloring? Just asking, not sure it wll benefit, your drawings are so clean and coherent that ths migh be unnecessary. I really would, however, like to see some (limited) background. So, you said next one is EC? :rolleyes:

Howdy, guys, thanks again for the comments. The Emperor's Children is coming along nicely.

@NightGount: I've ditched colouring for a while, mate, I'm bristling with ideas. And, to be honest, conceptual work is where I feel at home, coming up with new armours and characters. What Fulgrim's daemon host said applies to the creative process inside my head: "I enjoy our discussions a great deal. I think I'll never tire of them". Something like that.

@Grimdarkness: The Emperor's Child is not exactly based on the explicit "S&M" facet of the Legion, since I feel that side of things has been a bit overused. The EC were once probably the proudest of the Imperial Legions, and I feel that joining Chaos has done nothing to temper that trait. My pink Raptor will be based on that. He's a Raptor, yes, but he's also an EC Lord-Commander, and those guys take that position seriously. If I was drawing a rank-and-file Raptor, perhaps I'd go down the debauched path a bit more, but I'm happy with what I've chosen. Worry not, he'll be recognizable for what he is.

@Mikhail: That's a great idea. Make that ten Raptors, then, it makes perfect sense.

Iron Within. Iron Without.

*Hint hint* :)

Archived