Mephiston vs the Sanguinor

Dante999

Well... in the current meta I'm not that sure that I agree Mephiston is that easy using... Have you ever faced off with a farseer eldar force, Nial space wolves, dark eldar with 20+ lances and splinter cannons, plasma chimera spam guard or any type of grey knight force? Well unlike what you make it sound like all you need to do when playing Mephiston is run him in a straight line towards the opponent...

This couldn't be more wrong.

Sure the Sanguinor is harder to play... But death company Tycho is even harder to play ...So why not go with him instead?

If you’re doing a jump-heavy army, I’d go with Sanguinor only because Meph can’t deep strike.

With that said, I wouldn’t recommend Sangui at all. If you really want a named char leading your force, and have any Sang Guard units, Dante is a shoe-in.

Agreed. Dante is a great leader for a jump list, especially with Sang Guard.

though I've heard enough good stuff about the Sanguinor/Dante combo that I'll have to try it someday.

Did anyone else open this thread hoping to see a fight to the death? :D

I'm guessing there's not much point forking out the cash for the Sanguinator then? He doesn't really strike me as being much use. But then I run a hybrid force...

If you’re doing a jump-heavy army, I’d go with Sanguinor only because Meph can’t deep strike.

With that said, I wouldn’t recommend Sangui at all. If you really want a named char leading your force, and have any Sang Guard units, Dante is a shoe-in.

Agreed. Dante is a great leader for a jump list, especially with Sang Guard.

though I've heard enough good stuff about the Sanguinor/Dante combo that I'll have to try it someday.

Meph is a ton of laughs but hard to fit into a DOA list he has a completely different playstyle. The Sanguinor slots right in to a jump pack list.

Mano-a-mano dice offs as Brother Byhli did and the math hammer was good. Thanks.

They tell us that they are pretty evenly matched in combat but there are huge differences in how they play outside of gladitorial combat

In the Mano-a-mano combat Mephiston was running at full power its everything he does thats it.

Sanguinor? he hasn't even got started his buffs go army wide. Mephiston can destroy armour, Sanguinor can destroy characters and his buffs fit perfectly to the DOA Dante list.

Just remember any model that comes out even or even close with Mephiston in combat IS a monster too.

I have 2 mephistons one is geting turned into an Inquisitor the other is put on the shelf. The Sanguinor is in my next comp list.

Giving Chaplain Lemartes 8 I7 S6 WS5 power weapon attacks with rerolls to hit and to wound is fun.

Keep in mind that Lemartes actually can't be the target of Sanguinor's ability as he is not a Sargent.

Lemartes gets eight attacks at I7, S6 and WS5 if he's taken one wound, charges and receives the +1A buff from The Sanguinor.

Mephiston is best used in mech builds because he needs a delivery system.

Sangor is a better choice for a DoA list; however, he lacks IC status which makes him quite vulnerable during the shooting phase.

I would personally prefer two Reclusiarch with JPs and IPs.

I think it should be more clear the Mephiston and Sanguinor play different roles, Mephiston is a close combat beast that will easily cut his way through 9 out of 10 enemies (there are a couple of units he has problems dealing with) also he eats landraiders for breakfast.

The Sanguinor won't run through units like Mephiston does but does have some nice buffs like the +1A aura and the improved sergeant, he's also pretty durable, if the enemy fire low AP weapons on him you still have your 3+ inv and with a priest nearby all small firearms are pretty much useless.

In both cases make sure you don't let them run around alone. Mephiston can take most units on his own but having a squad join the assault so he can hide behind them after consolidation gives him his much needed cover save.

Giving Chaplain Lemartes 8 I7 S6 WS5 power weapon attacks with rerolls to hit and to wound is fun.

Keep in mind that Lemartes actually can't be the target of Sanguinor's ability as he is not a Sargent.

Lemartes gets eight attacks at I7, S6 and WS5 if he's taken one wound, charges and receives the +1A buff from The Sanguinor.

Easier to just put a Librarian in the squad instead. Although "might" can be dispelled while the aura buff cannot.

• 3 weeks later...

Having finally repainted Mephiston (he'd been moonlighting as a Nurgle Sorceror) I decided to use him for a laugh in a battle last night. He wasn't really ideal for the list I was using (allied with Grey Knights) but I just felt like it as he's not seen battle since 3rd edition. Well, he was comfortably Man of the Match. Terrain was favourable to me and I was able to spend the entire battle in a large piece of area terrain with LOS blocked to most of the enemy big guns. Fortunately there were also 2 of the 3 objectives in this area terrain so I knew the enemy (Chaos Space Marines) would need to come to him eventually so he just lurked for the first couple of turns.

Sure enough, on turn 3 a Land Raider full of Berzerkers pulled up nearby and the frothing lunatics piled out to destroy my tactical combat squad that was camping one of the objectives. On my turn, Mephiston emerged from the shadows accompanied by an Eversor Assassin (okay, it was overkill!!) and together they sent the Khorne worshippers to personally apologise to the Blood God before the Lord of Death melted back into the shadows of the ruined building. Sadly, the Eversor couldn't find a deep enough shadow and the Berzerker's Land Raider promptly annihilated him with a twin-linked lascannon to the forehead. Next up was a unit of Nurgle Bikers who attempted to ride their disease-infested bikes down a narrow alley and straight over Mephiston. Seconds later, a single flaming wheel emerged from the alley, all that remained of the bikers.

By this time a unit of Plague Marines had taken the objective previously held by my tactical squad and Mephiston decided to do something about that. Manifesting hs psychic wings he soared over the intervening terrain (passing his dangerous terrain test) and landed in front of them. Not bothering to pause to shoot, the Lord of Death charged straight into the Plague Marines... and spent the next three assault phases flailing wildly about and occasionally accidentally killing one or two of them. I can only assume that a cloud of flies got in his face (seriously, even with S10 and rerolls to hit it took 3 phases to kill 7 marines - that was some hideously poor dice rolling). Eventually he managed to get rid of the flies and promptly dispatched the remainder of the Nurgle marines and paused to look around him. Noticing that the Berzerkers Land Raider was now contesting the other objective he once again soared on psychic wings and hit the deck running in a desparate bid to reach the tank, which had withstood the concentrated firepower of a Devastator Squad for the entire battle. With a last burst of speed (wings, fleet and assault over difficult terrain) he leaped at the Land Raider and promptly tore it to shreds, securing the objective for the Blood Angels and earning a hard fought draw for the Imperium's finest.

To sum up, Mephiston single-handedly killed 5 Berzerkers, 7 Plague Marines, 3 Nurgle Bikers and a Land Raider, liberating one objective from Chaos control and removing the Land Raider that was contesting the second objective, leaving it in Imperial hands. He also hooded Typhus's Wind of Chaos which would have hit 8 Purifiers!. More importantly, he was great fun to use and highly dramatic. :D

I stumbled across this interesting dice off between models under 225 points and over 225 points

It was a straight dice off with real dice no mathhammer.

The overall winner of the middleweight section was Eldrad of the Eldar

The overall winner of the Heavyweight section was The Sanguinor of the Blood Angels

After the tournament The Sanguinor was attacked by the Dark Eldar and he proceded to tear the whole named codex to pieces.... literally

Then Draigo turned up and demanded a match, The Sanguinor went toe to toe and killed the silver warrior but it was close.

Its not totally realistic and as it was dice so can not be replicated but overall a very impressive performance, there was a lot to learn in it.

WS8 with ET I6 and 3++ invuns rerolling hits and wounds is awesome then throw in The Sanguinors buffs he looks pretty damn good

Mephiston did not make the qualifiers due to no invun and running into early problems with some tough necron guys.

Its not definitive but I liked it a hell of a lot it made me smile and it made me look at The Sanguinor more closely

The Sanguinor can assassinate characters where he gets his rerolls very well, better than Mephiston in fact. Mephiston can assassinate everything else.

The Sanguinor Kills all the Dark Eldar Codex Characters

The Sanguinor Kills Draigo

The Final Battle of the Heavyweights

Sorry to say, Drunken Angel, but you made lot of mistakes in those matches as Sanguinor isnt STR6 (FC gives him STR5), nor he gets +2 Attacks (aura wont work on him, he has 2handed weapon) he gets only +1 for charge.

More importantly, he forgot to fire the Sangiunors bolt pistol! ;)

Well than I am sorry, that golden boy is stronger than i tought, was playing him as S4>.>

There were no mistakes in the matches, there were intentional modifiers in the matches if you had read the match reports carefully, winged characters got bonus attacks. The Sanguinor goes to S6 and I7 with his own personal furious charge then he re-rolls hits and wounds on the nominated HQ unit.

Things to keep in mind The Sanguinors victory result was random, generated with dice and modifiers its unrepeatable, there was no generalship in it.

I doubt he could win again but I know damn sure he would be near the top thats enough for me.

The matches could never be completely even .... ever, because a character like Abaddon just fights he does nothing else whereas characters like The Sanguinor gives out extra attacks and upgrades, Draigo makes Paladins troops and has GS etc etc, the Swarmlord modifies reserves and so on. The Necron Night bringer was the biggest threat now nerfed, sorry Crons.

The only other PA character apart from Abaddon to even make the finals was Calgar, no Mephiston, no Space Wolves, nothing.

Mephiston is great and I am not talking him down one bit I use him, but if you want to kill enemy HQ's send The Sanguinor, god forbid you pair the Sanguinor with Dante and his curse. I can see The Sanguinor being more useful against Necrons than Mephiston, Scarabs? The Sanguinor just gave your 10 man RAS squad 10 extra attacks no tests nothing here they are, thats the same as generating an extra 90-100 points of marines on the board for that charge, it gets better if you included a priest as the priest gives the Sanguinor FNP. Anything kills a scarab or an orc or a guardsman if your RAS get the charge what you really need is weight of attacks. Just having that re-rolling golden murderer on the board keeps IC's away (to be honest Mephiston has the same effect but does not boost the RAS)

I know that Sanguinor has a invulnerable save, but you can always hug cover with Mephiston. Plus he can not be instant killed anyways with 6 toughness. He also has a psychic hood for those darn Grey Knights. Just go with the more cost effective option MEPHISTON.

Put him against the Skulltaker on Juggernaut and you will eat those words about not being insta killed.

Archived