Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inq28 Updated - 05/02/23

Got the legs done, which is the easy bit. Need to finish prepping the torso now and then enough other stuff to warrant a priming session.

887869_sm-.JPG

Vairo - cheers. Power Weapons are fun once I actually sit down to do them, but it always takes a bit of psyching up. I really should do more bigger things, but when it generally takes me a month to get through a marine or two I kind of put them to one side thinking they'll just take too damn long. Plus I love customising infantry, there's less scope for that with bigger things other than sticking more decorations on them, which is kind of fun to be fair.

• 4 weeks later...

I've now finished prepping the remaining parts for the Dread, however, the UK seems to be stuck in an endless cycle of humidity and rain at the moment, so priming opportunities are rather thin on the ground. Consequently I have knocked out a Star Phantom, which also uses up my final base for this batch of Deathwatch and, as I promised Vairocanum, means a group shot:

892761_sm-.JPG892762_sm-.JPG892765_sm-.JPG892764_sm-.JPG892763_sm-.JPG

892872_sm-.JPG

Also, because I have Dreads on the brain, I did this:
892766_sm-.JPG

Vairo - thanks, buddy.

Yeah, these power weapons of yours... :P

Ā 

Despite my efforts, I couldn't quite mirror the effect myself with purples, but it did lead me down an interesting road, so thanks for that :D Ā Glad to see you're still pumping these out now and then with (infuriatingly) impressive results.

Star Phantom looks great, it may just be the pics but his eyes seem a little dark. That shoulder pad is fantastic though. Is that one of the shapeways ones? And who doesn't love Dreads, I really like where this one is going :tu:

The star phantom looks brilliant, definitely one of my favorite chapter symbols. Awesome to see a group shot of all your models, looking forward to seeing an even bigger group shot some day. Also that new dreadnought is looking great so far, can't wait to see the rest of it.

• 2 weeks later...

A final devastator is now in the works for the Crimson Tears and I realise now that I'm 1.5 models off finally finishing the 2nd Company (until I look at some of the older models and decide to re-do them...):
895581_sm-.JPG895582_sm-.JPG

I also decided to spruce up my old Tarantula and bring it in line withĀ  colouring of the lascannon one I did not so long ago:

Before
673162_sm-.JPG

After
895585_sm-.JPG895586_sm-.JPG895584_sm-.JPG

In other minor news I managed to prime the rest of the DW mortis dread over the weekend:

895583_sm-.JPG

This has been a very Heavy Bolter themed post, eh?

Firepower - Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that, but glad you got something out of it. And I will take that compliment gladly, sir.

Bio - Cheers, bud. They are pretty dark, but certainly not as much as the photo makes it seem. Yep, Shapeways pad; pretty sure it's one of Plokoone's. It almost motivated me to start a side project, but I paint too much damned white as it is! Dreads, dreads, dreads... this is my bag (yes, bag) of dreads:
895785_sm-.JPG
It contains 1x FW Chaplain Dread (furioso/DC dread), 1x Fragioso based on an Ironclad, 1x FW Ironclad (Siege Dread # 3), 1x Ironclad, 1x FW Ultramarine Dread (to be Crimson Tear-ed) and 1x FW Raven Guard Dread (also to be Crimson Tear-ed) as well as 1x Venerable Dread and 1 FW GK Dread for my Deathwatch. Plus more weapons than even that lot need. I'm not sure love really covers it anymore!

Vairo - Thanks, man. I agree, cracking symbol that incorporates skulls in a somewhat interesting way compared to a lot of chapter icons that are basic variations on the same skull design. Well as you can see from above and recent posts, there are some dreads coming their way so the next DW shot will definitely be bigger.
Ā 

The new heavy bolter guy is looking good, but his leg doesn't look as stable on the rubble part. The updated tarantula looks fantastic too, colors definitely pop more. Very excited to see all the dreads in the future, especially the ironclads.Ā 

This is all incredible work. I'm sure its been asked before, (so if there's already a post where you address it please just tell me where it is and I'll be on my way,) but how do you do your whites? They're so crisp and clean and smooth. I've never been able to get close to that when trying to layer up from black.

• 2 weeks later...

Final Devastator done:
897977_sm-.JPG897978_sm-.JPG897979_sm-.JPG897980_sm-.JPG

Group shot, I feel like it's been at least a year since I started the sergeant:
898225_sm-.JPG

Some progress on the dread's torso:
898226_sm-.JPG

Deathspecter - thanks, brother. I've got a couple of ideas, but all in good time.

Vairo - cheers, man. Yeah, I slightly botched the pinning angle in the right foot so couldn't get the left as flatly planted on the rubble as I wanted to. Kind of hoping that with the rest of the model in place its not too obvious. If it was anything other than random dev no. 5 I'd be more fussed about fixing it. Been itching to get that tarantula fixed since doing the other one, getting sharper contrast in there was definitely part of the reason. There will be dreads, so many dreads. Not sure when the Ironclads will feature, like so much of the stuff I've accumulated it's there because I have more ideas than time and FW keep discontinuing things so I feel compelled to spend more money than I should on resin goodies.

Endova - Thanks a lot. No worries, I can't even begin to remember where I last posted it. The key thing is to establish a basecoat not too disimilar to white so that when you're painting it on it doesn't have to do too much work, especially as you'll want to be painting on very thin layers
Step 1: mid/light grey basecoat laid down. I use Vallejo Game Colour Stonewall Grey; can usually cover black in 3 - 4 coats.
Step 2: light grey/off-white basecoat. Cover the entirety of your previous coat. For me it's Vallejo Game Colour Ghosty Grey. Again, 3 - 4 thin layers should do it.
Step 3: couple of thin layers of Reaper Master Series Pure White; the opacity of Reaper paints means it covers pretty well and makes the next stage easier.
Step 4: As many thin coats of Vallejo Model Colour White as you deem necessary. It's usually more than 5, but the paint's so thin it dries really quickly, so it;s quicker than you'd think.
Step 5: Depending on the area, some shading will be necessary. I block the area out with Ghosty Grey and then add incremental amounts of Stonewall Grey to paint a few layers closer and closer to the deepest part of any recess.
Above all, as ever, practice makes perfect. I've been painting this white regularly for almost 6 years, it's constantly evolved to get better and to get this precise.

Ā 

Great to see the devastator squad completed, that crisp white is fantastic as usual! The dreadnought torso is looking good, I really like the lenses! As for the legs, not sure if I'm picturing it right but maybe you could bend the pin to get the foot to sit flatter on the base? Will wait patiently to see all the other dreads, and yea it's understandable to get the items being discontinued.

Torso fully done:
900039_sm-.JPG900038_sm-.JPG900040_sm-.JPG

And while I had the appetite for edge highlights I started on the Frag Cannon Fire Angel I first cobbled together about a year ago!
900041_sm-.JPG900042_sm-.JPG

deathspecter - :smile.:

Vairo - Thanks, buddy. It's rare that I'm in a position to post a full squad! I love doing lenses, one of the few occasions I get to play with super vibrant colours now that I've been painting my Malifaux stuff in realistic/ Western movies colours.

Inquisitor Engel - Thank you very much. Yes, quite a lot of my Deathwatch pads are from Pop Goes The Monkey or Plokoone's Bits on Shapeways. I really had very little to do with the smoothness, that's how they came to me. Top notch quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than finish anything I'm working on at the moment I decided to jump in on FRTS in the BA sub-forum and re-paint one of my oldest models:
901600_sm-.JPG

A good way through the job he looks like this:
904576_sm-.JPG

deathspecter - cheers, brother. The FAs certainly seem one of the less well-represented Badab chapters.

Vairo - thanks, the silver differential was something I struggled with and I knew it was important to make sure it was obvious.

Bjorn - thanks a lot

Bob Hunk - thank you very much, I'm actually a little sorry I 'wasted' the Techmarine on a base!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Chaplain Durithiel has come together a lot quicker than I'd anticipated:
906773_sm-.JPG906774_sm-.JPG906775_sm-.JPG906776_sm-.JPG906777_sm-.JPG

deathspecter - :happy.:

Vairo - Cheers, man. I have Reaper Master Series' Aged Bone triad to thank for that, it's become my default way of painting bone stuff. Thank you for highlighting the tabard, it took a lot of mixing to get right! There really aren't that many rich dark reds on the market (I should know, having bought most of them to sit largely unused in my paint rack...) and mixing is always fraught with frustration as you seek the perfect tone.

Bio - thanks a lot, buddy. Yeah, he's one of my favourites too. Him, the other 2 skull helm chaplains and the terminator chaplain (roughly all out around the same time iirc) are stone cold classics. I'm 2/4 at the moment, the other two will surface in due course.