Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inq28 Updated - 05/02/23

WOW dude, that mask really bring up the creepiness factor (hopefully thats what you're going for :tongue.:) and makes him look like an emotionless serial killer (to me anyways). Very Mike Meyers.

I really like the red tear/blood drop on the face too. Did he have to go to prison to earn it? :wink:

This ^^. Plus: *drops brushes*. 

Still hate you SwaT! ;)

Captain Nathaniel, Crimson Tears 2nd Company

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/19/664777_sm-.JPG

Nathaniel has been Captain of the Crimson Tears 2nd Company for a century and a half, having served in its ranks first as a tactical support marine [//class: meltagun operative//] and later as sergeant of an assault squad when it became clear that, despite his growing experience, his battle-lust was being ill-served in tactical squad. Under his command these assault marines became deadlier than they had ever been with campaign records detailing devastating charge after devastating charge, on occasion turning the tide of battles on their own.  Their efficacy has been attributed to the blend of abilities that have led to Nathaniel’s ascension to the rank of Captain: an indomitable warrior spirit and an almost preternatural ability to assess a battlefield. Between the ranks of Veteran Sergeant and Captain came a stint as Company Champion. His notable kills during this time include ‘Bagrot Spine Cruncher’, a fearsome Ork Pirate whose predatory fleets threatened to paralyse trade on the Segmentum Pacificus and Segmentum Solar border; the Greater Daemon of Slaanesh R’thnai, whose summoning by a pleasure cult on Gudrun threatened to destabilise the Scarus Sector; and the Wych Cult of Malice’s Succubus when their raiding party set down on Joura. His martial prowess is marked less for its prodigious skill and more for its relentless ferocity. He will routinely triumph over more dextrous and adept opponents by virtue of his unremitting commitment to the fight, outlasting and exhausting them if need be while never permitting his own stamina to diminish. His strikes land with the same force and frequency at the end of an engagement as at the start.

He has not always served with the 2nd Company, though, and it is his past that perhaps explains the hate-fuelled stubbornness that ensures he will never yield or fade on the battlefield and which has seen him through countless engagements. The fated nature of the Crimson Tears 5th Company is fairly well documented and has been all but destroyed no fewer than four times. Nathaniel is a survivor of the third decimation some 350 years ago. Pursuing Eldar Corsairs through the edge of the Segmentum Obscurus and the periphery of the Utima Segmentum the company found themselves led to the Ghoul Stars whereupon their quarry vanished. For reasons unknown, with interference from one of the region’s abominable psychic entities suspected, the company fleet strayed further beyond the limits of safe space and soon enough ran into great difficulty. The seven survivors of an almost full company were found back at the very edge of the Ghoul Stars by a passing Deathspecters patrol, some distance from where the onboard logs of the Crimson Tears ships reported their furthermost position to be. With so few remaining astartes, many of whom were incapacitated, and the total annihilation of human crew it is unclear how the trio of ships were piloted away from whatever danger exterminated the rest of the company. What data was recoverable from the ships’ various recording devices and that escaped Inquisitorial censure shows decks transformed into nightmarish charnel houses. Nathaniel has never spoken of what happened among those dread stars since being debriefed by Inquisitorial agents from the Ordos Malleus and Xenos. Whether he even knows is the subject of some speculation.  

Like most of the 5th’s survivors he sought transfer to a new company rather than stay and aid the reconstruction of his shattered one, eager for battle to expunge his grief. Like the rest of the 5th’s diaspora, he fights to honour the memory of those brothers he has lost, fully aware that inter-company rivalry can often lead some battle brothers to think unduly ill of the 5th‘s competence for repeatedly suffering such grave misfortune. Thus he views his every effort on the field of battle as being an opportunity to establish that it is not the 5th’s martial capabilities that let them down and led to their destruction, that a member of the 5th can fight just as well, if not better, than their brothers from other companies. The grim determination and implacability these motives confer make him easy to follow, he will do more than he would expect of any battle brother and in return they seek to exceed his expectations and match his deeds. His survival has also conferred upon him a sense of invulnerability, if this is challenged, if he sustains injury, it seems only to inspire him to fight even harder, to prove that none of his foes can best him. More than once this has seen him spend lengthy periods under the care of the chapter’s apothecaries , yet he still lives.

He has almost been lost to the chapter on several occasions as a result, the most notable being on Hydraphur where the 2nd, 6th and 7th companies strayed into the path of a Hive Fleet Charybdis splinter as they hunted for Craftworld Iybraesil in the outermost regions of the Segmentum Pacificus.  Most of the Tyranids were destroyed in space by the combined fleets of the Crimson Tears and Imperial Navy, but some of the larger creatures sent many spores towards the planet before being accounted for. Upon making planetfall veterans were sent to marshal the planet’s PDF and lead them in protecting the planet’s civilian populations while bike and land speeder squadrons ranged the area around the Tyranid landing sites, hoping to draw the attention of the aliens and lead them back to established defensive positions.  The Crimson Tears chose their battlefield on the plains just outside the hive nearest to the Tyranid spores setting up an iron wall of Predators, Razorbacks and Tarantulas between which stood the marines themselves.  On the second day the bikers’ deadly game of cat and mouse with the aliens successfully brought them back to the safety of their brother’s lines, hotly pursued by a voracious tidal wave of tooth and talon. For hours the guns fired incessantly and the Chapter’s fast attack elements worked tirelessly to exterminate Tyranids that strayed from the main swarm and to keep the mass focussed on the main Crimson Tears line rather than the nearby hive. Shortly before nightfall the ammunition stocks were running low enough to be a future concern and while the Tyranids were greatly diminished, there were still more than enough to overwhelm the space marine lines and possibly the planet if the big guns were to be silenced. Seeking to avert this impending threat, Nathaniel identified the largest Synapse creature he could see in the swarm, a truly monstrous creature of the Hive Tyrant classification and set out for it, hoping to plunge the swarm into disarray as most of the other synapse creatures had already been eliminated. He was accompanied by his personal Honour Guard, the combined companies’ Penitents and several assault squads. Behind them was to come a rumbling wall of tanks –razorbacks with their armaments switched for heavy flamers, predators with as much ammunition as remained – and tactical marines. The thrust of assault troops was to draw the remnants of the swarm’s attention while those behind them thinned the numbers from the periphery of what was surely to become a fearsome melee. Despite devising the plan, Nathaniel had only eyes for the Hive Tyrant.  He fought as though possessed against all the creatures that barred his way and soon outstripped the phalanx of warriors he had led into the swarm, single-mindedly carving a path through the living wall of chitin and claw towards his designated target. While the marines accompanying him tried to close the gap he had opened, they could not do so and thus they turned all their attention to the beasts assailing them from all sides. The fighting became noticeably easier before too long and post-battle analysis revealed that this was when Nathaniel slew the Hive Tyrant. They continued to fight until nothing assailed them and night fell, retreating to the nearby hive until morning when the bikes and land speeders set off once again, this time to search and destroy rather than goad. Others were dispatched to the field alongside PDF work parties to destroy the corpses of the foe and claim the bodies of fallen brothers. Nathaniel was found impaled upon one of the Hive Tyrant’s massive talons, his infernus pistol buried in its eye socket and his glaive thrust through its neck, gravely wounded, but still alive.

Like a number of Crimson Tears commanders he sports an eerie Death Mask rather than a helmet as an affectation to unsettle or even inspire fear in such enemies as can feel it. The crimson tear it features is both a typical artisanal flourish of chapter iconography and an indication of his continued, profound grief. There are rumours that his mask is worn to cover up horrendous scars sustained while enduring the horrors of the Ghoul Stars, but, as he has never removed it in the presence of non-Chapter members, these are unconfirmed. His artificer armour is modified mk. IV highly decorated with various battle honours and symbols of office. Unusually, for a one of his position he carries a vial of his own blood into combat; the Crimson Tears’ leadership groups are supposed to remain neutral on the matter of ritual blood sanctification until the Chaplaincy pronounces on how to approach this relatively new practice among the battle brothers. Indeed, Nathaniel was due to be censured for such a breach of duty, but escaped that indignity. The vial is an object of commemoration for the brothers he lost in the decimation of the 5th company. It is shaped like a tear to reflect his continued mourning and the blood it contains remains unsanctified. Once this was explained to the chapter’s Reclusiarchs they were content to permit it’s continued presence on his battle plate. Similarly, the reliquary he carries into battle contains a bone from the battle brother he was found next to when rescued by the Deathspecters.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/19/664778_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/19/664779_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/19/664780_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/19/664781_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/19/664782_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/19/664783_sm-.JPG

Well, the photos and the mini-essay of fluff might have clued you in on the fact that Nathaniel is finished. He's come together surprisingly quickly and is proof positive that an idea that excites you can really give you a kick up the proverbial to get things done. There's only one thing I don't like and that's the lighting of the final photo making it look like only half the aquilla on his shoulder pad was shaded.

Brother Tyrax - thanks a lot, it's good to see you back.

Slipstreams - ha, I am happy with that. I hadn't really thought about the resemblance to Michael Meyers too much, but it's there for sure and the original first 2 Halloweens  are a couple of my favourite horror films so that was probably lurking in my subconscious. Well if you read the excessive amount of text above you'll find out why it's there and you'll feel bad for suggesting lightheartedly that it was prison:tongue.:

Deathspecter - cheers, you  know by now how much I like death masks.

marine7312000 - thanks, I'm glad to still be producing stuff that people find worthy of comment.

Firepower & The Chaplain - I presume it's the bronze on the pack icons? In which case it's pretty straight forward : Reaper Master Series Old Bronze, Old Bronze + Army Painter Plate Mail Metal 70/30, Old Bronze + Plate Mail 50/50, washed with Army Painter Soft Tone + Vallejo Matt Medium. Boom.

Augustus - Appreciate it, bud. Come on, though, you're not exactly deficient in the painting department! You give me too much credit.

Bio - cheers, man. That's the idea. I really can't understand why they don't come without the fancy headdresses as stock, the face alone is so much more imposing even in bare plastic.

Edited by sockwithaticket

I don't think I'll ever get over the coolness of your power weapons, nor the inhuman crispness of your paint jobs. There may or may not have been some sleepless nights spent wondering if, in fact, you are even human at all. 

This latest model brings together all the elements that make your army uniquely amazing. You truly are a stand-out in a crowded field of excellent painters and modelers, sir. 

absolutely love the power glaive paint style, don't recall if you've doled that info out, but your take on it would be very much sought after by yours truly. :wink:

very intriguing back-story to boot, quite a developed, lovable character. :tongue.:

With Nathaniel wrapped up and still very consumed by the painting bug I decided to continue clearing my desk of pre-ETL projects. Some of you may recognise the legs on this chap from several months ago, well they've been dusted off and attached to a torso now:
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/23/665722_sm-.JPG

Separate shot of the head so there's a slightly better look at the eyes.
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/23/665723_sm-.JPG

Getting back to work on this guy I was reminded of the fact that although I love the aesthetic of Forgeworld Dreads I much prefer plastic to resin when edge highlighting. Resin can look absolutely fine and dandy until you try to highlight in a straight line and then all these little imperfections start popping up hellbent on doing nothing other than ensuring your line is imperfect. :pinch: He's got storm bolters because I really like the underslung ones FW do for their dreads, plus it's nearly flipping impossible to get the appropriate heavy flamer and meltagun bits for these. Flamers only come with the Ironclad and I've used those while the meltagun seems to only come with the Seismic Hammer or a Chainfist. Not at the moment apart from that, the picture kind of says it all. I may rework the highlights on the shield as they don't really seem to be showing up all that well. Could be a lighting issue. Working on the power plant at the moment and then I'll have to think about how to tackle the arms, mainly which bits stay black, which bits white and how much decoration to apply. I've bulked them up with the extra shoulder armour I didn't use from the Forgeworld Iron Clad.

I also finally got around to doing something with one of the four Tarantula's I've got lying around. They're actually quite big and that's made finding bases for them quite tricky. Ultimately I've gone for the 90 x125 mm oval, although a bit too large they should provide me with the opportunity to create mini diorama's should the mood take me. Plus I'm not hitting a gaming table any time soon so it's not like it really matters.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/23/665721_sm-.JPG

Super-pleased with the positive responses to Nathaniel. Here's a quick shot of him with his Brother-Captain's of the 3rd and 4th companies. Creepy masks ahoy!
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/11/23/665728_sm-.JPG

I can see a few things on Ezekiel that I want to go back and fix now...:mellow.:

Augustus - thanks man, I cracked it out quite quickly and was trying to incorporate the key elements of Malakim Phoros' rules and fluff while still making it unique to Nathaniel. Was also a little worried I'd written him as being a bit too powerful.

Jeff- :blush.: Oh, you. Thanks very much. I am unable to comment one way or the other as to my humanity, the Inquisition could be listening...

KBA - Cheers, fella.

Deathspecter - Thanks, mate. The Crimson Tears salute right back. I could hardly bring the action to your guys' neck of the woods without a doff of the cap.

Kierdale - cheers, mate!

The_Chaplain - My mistake, no worries here it is, even simpler than the other recipe - VGC Tinny Tin washed heavily with AP Strong Tone. Highlighted with VGC Tinny Tin/AP Plate Mail Metal 50/50 drybrush on the edges. Wash the whole lot with AP Dark Tone. I include matt medium in the Strong Tone as a matter of course now as mine seems to dry a bit glossy regardless of how much I shake it these days. Don't think it's too integral to overall look, but it's worth bearing in mind if you attempt to replicate exactly.

Argent aquila - glad you enjoyed the fluff, I generally feel more uncertain about that than my painting at this point. I'd love to hear what about it makes him loveable, though!  He is quite a tragic figure, but I wouldn't be rushing to give him a hug. The recipe for my power weapons is knocking about on here somewhere, but this has actually developed into quite a long thread so rather than send you off to look for it here it is again:  Base with VGC Night Blue. First highlight a broad one of Night Blue and VGC Imperial Blue, 50/50. Then a slightly less broad layer of Imperial Blue. Then layer up to the edge with Imperial Blue + VGC Glacier Blue  starting with almost pure Imperial Blue and adding more Glacier Blue until it's purely that. With each layer leave a little bit of the previous one showing so that you get the gradiant effect that mimics blending. Other things that help are the Empire film podcast, patience and swearing.

Hunters - thanks, buddy, appreciate it. Particularly glad you like the fluff. Are we going to get to see your attempt? I's sure it's good. All I can say is the key is lots of layers. I know it doesn't necessarily look like there that many, but there are.

Argent aquila - glad you enjoyed the fluff, I generally feel more uncertain about that than my painting at this point. I'd love to hear what about it makes him loveable, though!  He is quite a tragic figure, but I wouldn't be rushing to give him a hug. The recipe for my power weapons is knocking about on here somewhere, but this has actually developed into quite a long thread so rather than send you off to look for it here it is again:  Base with VGC Night Blue. First highlight a broad one of Night Blue and VGC Imperial Blue, 50/50. Then a slightly less broad layer of Imperial Blue. Then layer up to the edge with Imperial Blue + VGC Glacier Blue  starting with almost pure Imperial Blue and adding more Glacier Blue until it's purely that. With each layer leave a little bit of the previous one showing so that you get the gradiant effect that mimics blending. Other things that help are the Empire film podcast, patience and swearing.

honestly, to me, writing a story is a MILLION times harder than making up models with random bits and bobs, it takes thought, thought of which i now have a surplus of being thanksgiving break, but regularly, i can't function enough to make something as complex as a gripping story.:dry.:

I see the captains' personality as a lovable guy is all, i guess something about his willingness to sacrifice everything on a whim, and his ruthless nature just kinda, connects...

He's lovable in the same basic way as Bols from the anime Akame Ga Kill, until, well....................................................... spoilers, never mind :happy.:   guess i'm just a sucker for those with the capability to not die horribly and keep fighting for waht they believe in.

Thank you sooo very much for the recipe, I did attempt to make a dive into the annals of the threads' history, but gave up after page 7. looks a heck of a lot better than my power weapons ATM. and i'm still freeloading off my parents for the rest of highschool, so no swearing allowed. :wink:

thanks agin, keep up the great work!

Edited by Argent aquila

Yup, writing is a b-e-a-c-h!

But that dread is looking good brother, and the triumvirate of captains is just a little creepy!

Noted on the layers, suppose using a wet palette?

But love the base for the Tarantula, great potential for a mini diorama as you say, do it, you know you want to ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've done a bit more work on the Dread and had a crack at the Tarantula base. Between a rash of birthdaysand scratching my non-lazy eye I've not had all that much time to paint in the last couple of weeks. Progress on the Furioso means he's now about 80% done:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/7/669156_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/7/669155_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/7/669154_sm-.JPG

It's a constant battle to find the right level of ornamentation for a Dread as I feel you need a certain amount to denote his legendary warrior status (and keep painting interesting), but you don't want to over do it. I hope I'm striking the right balance with Revered Barachiel.

Tarantula base:

Not much to say, it's got some shell casings added to either side of the Tarantula and been painted. I'm quite looking forward to having a crack at the thing itself.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/7/669251_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/7/669252_sm-.JPG

Augustus - cheers brother, you must have posted a reply pretty damn fast to miss my edit and actually put the Captains photo up.

Argent Aquila - Fair enough when you put it like that. I like trying to make my guys well rounded characters you can empathise with, I'd just never have thought to describe any of them as loveable. , it felt like an odd term for a gentically engineered superhuman killing machine.

But the swearing's the most important part of the process! You'll never get it right without some foul language :tongue.: No worries, happy to help if anyone does me the great compliment of wanting to know how I do something.

NightHunters - Thanks, man. Imagine when I finally do 10 Captains and a Chapter Master, 11 blank faced serial killers coming at you!

Yep, I also tend to find that time:words written (/words written that you want to keep) ratio is often very poor.

You know, I don't actually use a wet palette, sometimes a bit of drying retarder, but I pretty much do them with just water and paint. That said a wet palette would probably make the process a lot easier and I've been meaning to get/make one for a while now.

I've gathered the parts for a Techmarine to go on the Tarantula base, I want it to look like he was checking on it/setting it up, but has just paused and raised his guard having heard/seen/scanned something nearby. Plus I've added the shell casings which hopefully help add to the whole piece, I think they're positioned correctly.

Oh man, I like the choice of base for the tarantula-- I actually just ordered that base (and several others) from Secret Weapon during their winter sale (hopefully theyll get here soon, waiting for them is agonizing).  

The tech marine will help provide a pop of color and break up some of the grey.   The shell casings are a nice touch as well, are those from Secret Weapon too?

Back in the swing of things this week and having heard that it's going into its final season I started re-watching Justified from the beginning while I painted which may have somewhat influenced the pose of the Tarantula's Techmarine base decoration. He's supposed to be looking ready to draw down against an imminent threatin the best way that I knew how given that I can't convert him to have his hand over the holster particularly easily. He's all finished up and I think he looks pretty good. The pictures don't show it too well, but I have used different reds for his gear and armour. I painted the latter before the former so didn't realise quite how similar they'd look, but as Scab Red is what all the Crimson Tears weapons and equipment has been painted in this far I couldn't very well change that and having spent three days' painting time to get his armour up to snuff that wasn't about to change either! Anyway, pictures:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/12/670169_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/12/670170_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/12/670171_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/12/670172_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/12/670173_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/12/670174_sm-.JPG

Given how he's turned out I'm slightly annoyed with myself for having used him purely as a base ornament. I'm particularly pleased with the Admech symbol on his right pad. The auspex close-up demonstrates why he's suddenly on guard what with several incoming blips. The purity seal on his holster is a nod to that irritating habit plasma weapons have of killing their owners and shows the extra steps that Brother-Techmarine Nanael has taken to mitigate against it. I know that other specialists like Priests and Librarians in the Crimson Tears have thus far maintained their black and white armour, with wargear and adornments denoting their positions, but I felt Techmarines are sufficiently different from the rest of the chapter that they should stand out and so I've done him in the standard dark red. His purely metallic pad is a way of demonstrating still further his role as armourer/mechanic, someone who deals with the chapter's machinery rather than it's soldiers.

Didn't get much else done this week, but given that I can take a fortnight or so to turn around a miniature I don't think that's too bad, must have been the lack of white that sped this fellow up. I did take another picture of the rear of my Furioso, though, as I didn't feel like the previous ones were showing the colours very well, the red's in particular seemed a lot browner than they are in real life. So after I fiddled with the settings a bit I got this which is a much better representation:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/8/669428_sm-.JPG

The Chaplain - thanks, man. Yeah I got a couple of others too for more Tarantulas. I wanted something big enough that you can do something with the base beyond just plonking the Tarantula down on it, but I also wanted something that would help make sense of why a Tarantula has been deployed. To me this looks like some kind of intersection and that makes a lot of sense for placement of an automated sentry gun. The shell casings are indeed Secret Weapon also, they're the ones specifically designed to be Heavy Bolter calibre. I would've put a few more down, but after 20 it was getting a bit dull!

Bio - cheers, bud. He's turned out a bit conventional by my standards, but I'm pretty pleased nonetheless.

get him on a separate base! he deserves his own spot in your army!!!

seriously, very nice!

(could do the little inset spot on the tarantula base and have himremovable.... but it's already painted.:unsure.:  either way looks great!)

Edited by Argent aquila

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to finish my Tarantula, finally. It took a lot of painstaking effort to try and work with the deceptively imperfect edges (damn it Forgeworld, why's a straight edge so hard to achieve!) and copious amounts of swearing as applied touch ups, but it's done and now I can spend Christmas Day with the relatives without the nagging feeling I have something else (something better) to do (more's the pity).

Wide shots:
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/24/673162_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/24/673167_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/24/673168_sm-.JPG

Close ups:
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/24/673163_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/24/673164_sm-.JPGhttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/24/673165_sm-.JPG
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/12/24/673166_sm-.JPG

It was an interesting model to do , but I think in future I may try and paint the stand in pieces rather than whole as it was kind of awkward to do that. Most of the lenses on my marines are blue and I tried to differentiate this unmanned machine by taking its targetting lenses in different colours, with the main one being yellow, which was also a fun painting challenge. As it's not a marine, merely a weapons platform, I've tried to keep the amount of white on it to a minimum.

Well that's all, my other work in the last couple of weeks has largely been shaving mold lines off my new Blood Angels Tactical Squad kit and I don't think any of you particularly want to see photos of that. There might be an update before the year's out as the holidays should give me enough time to finish my Furioso, perhaps even that final tactical marine.

If that doesn't happen I'll take this opportunity to wish all of you a Happy Christmas and New Year.

Bro Tyrax - thanks man, red's a pain to get right and I'm glad this worked.

marine - cheers.

Razblood - thanks, mate, particularly appreciate you singling out the fluff.

Argent aquila - thanks a lot, buddy. Yep, still regretting that I didn't do that a little bit. At least I've given myself a template should I ever want to make a Techmarine who stands on his own base.
Close ups: