The LHD (Liber Heraldry Department)

Brother Cambrius

One year ago, some of my fellow Liberites posted some rather awesome and hilarious stories about the ongoings of the LIBER ASTARTES within the Legio called This is the Liber. (You may want to read the stories there first)

Almost one year on after re-reading through its hilarity, I figured I'd continue on a comment I made on writing up something about the Liber's Heraldry Department and the members whom I believe lurk within it, including myself. (I have made well over 170 chapters using the SMP so I think I'm very much a member within it. <_<)

Thus this is the first part of the story, just to tantalise you all, with the second and probably final part emerging later.

The LIBER Heraldry Department

Footsteps echoed down the long corridor lined with six doors, the howls and jeers of the Sons of Russ mocking their Dark Angel brothers opposite them continued to echo down into Felix Taren’s ears. His black and red robes flowed around him as he walked, his bionic right arm whirring and clicking gently as he moved forwards. A metallic badge displaying the symbol of the Legio shone warmly in the lumen globes as he approached two Astartes leaving the great doors that were Taren’s destination, clad in the colours of the Legio Bolter and Chainsword. One, bearing a black right shoulder-pad with a flaming hand displayed upon it countered the other Astartes’ muttered opinion saying,

“But Thirst, this unknown chapter could be called the Purifiers! You saw their heraldry and fighting style. It suits them perfectly!”

Thirst shook his head; Taren glanced at the Chaos star around the Marine’s neck, making the serf feel uncomfortable as he recognised that Thirst was a member of the Liber’s Heresy Department.

“But Ignis, combat doctrine and heraldry doesn’t instantly give a Chapter their name. Their history and origins are often a greater factor; count how many chapters exist calling themselves the sons of a Primarch or the sons of their homeworld.”

The pair continued to argue as Taren passed them, his pace slightly quicker after being made uneasy by the very sight of the 8 pointed star of Chaos.

Reaching the large foreboding doors of the Liber section of the Legio’s fortress monastery, the symbol of the Liber, an Imperial Aquila and blank opened book beneath its talons loomed out like a warning to Taren. Throne why had he been chosen to do this job from his head staff?! Entering the Liber section was always a strange experience! Librarians were often found walking through the halls of the Liber, looking to access some information on one of the lesser known chapters displayed on their lecterns proudly. Some Astartes were also seen walking around wielding skull flails, or one specific marine was said to always be found wielding a bowling ball. These marines had self named themselves the “Liberites”, whom would often be found debating or arguing over a subject to do with a lesser known chapter’s history that they were reviewing, brought before them by a scribe from some far off world. It would either end in the work’s acceptance to the Liber’s halls, or it being constructively ripped to pieces by the Astartes “judges” as they ensured the authenticity of the work was made with suggestions and changes added by the Liberites. Those marines were then also kept in line by the shadowy and scary “Moderati”, who kept everything in the sacred area in order, wielding meltas as their sign of office to ensure that everyone behaved whilst in their hallowed halls.

Shaking his head to regain his senses, clutching a dataslate in his bionic hand, Taren nodded at the two guards allocated at the entrance to the Liber. Both the Astartes’ armour was coloured a light blue, representing their placement within the Legio’s Librarium, the two nodded, green eyes glinting with their psychic abilities. Taren felt the gossamer trace of one of the Librarian’s probing his mind gently to check why he had journeyed to the Liber. The Psykers both nodded and allowed Taren to pass, the door opening slowly before the serf walked nervously inside.

The view that was the interior of the Liber never ceased to steal Taren’s breath as he drank in the view with his eyes. Tomes stood upon plinth after plinth, stretching down as far as the eye could see until it reached the far wall on the other side, where the symbol of the Imperial Aquila holding the blank book beneath it was proudly placed once more. It looked so small from the entrance to the halls of the Liber; however Taren knew that the symbol was three stories tall from his previous excursions into the halls to obtain information as requested by his staff and by the Space Marines themselves. Walking further along the main corridor of the hall, where the tomes either side of him displayed a running film of that specific chapter’s deeds; Taren glanced down at his dataslate and powered it on with a crackling buzz. Green text glowed back at him, telling him once more his duty as instructed earlier, the Legio required the identification of a chapter’s heraldry, being unknown to the Legio it was the job of Taren to locate the Liber Heraldry Department to identify the chapter. He’d never been to the Heraldry Department before and in the vast spaces and rooms the Liber possessed, finding them would be a large puzzling search if he couldn’t find directions. A hard tapping on Taren’s right shoulder caught the serf’s attention as he turned around to find himself looking at the dark green armour and white Aquila of an Astartes. Stepping back slightly to gain full view of the warrior, Taren nervously noticed the marine had begun to polish a spherical object that resembled a bowling ball. Casting his hardened and scarred features down at the serf, the warrior asked Taren in a firm tone,

“What is your purpose here serf? Do you have a chapter to submit for us to review?”

Taren shook his head quickly and replied with a bow,

“No my lord, I have been sent here to locate the Liber’s Heraldry Department to gain information on a chapter’s heraldry.”

The green armoured marine nodded and hooked the ball to his belt, noting the serf’s name before turning and beckoning Taren to follow him,

“Follow me then Felix Taren, I’ll show you the way. I have need to visit that place myself to inform someone of some news.”

With that, the Astartes turned and strode purposefully towards where Taren would find his destination and purpose. The super-human’s typical long strides caused the serf to jog to catch up, his red and black robes billowing out after him. His fellow serfs that worked solely within the Liber’s halls looked upon the Astartes guiding him with unease and Taren could have sworn he heard some of them mutter “Batman,” under their breaths. The dark green armoured marine nodded as his battle brothers passed, it was only then that Taren noticed how strange and alien it was that this marine was not clad in the typical colours of the Legio. He was tempted to ask the marine why he wore a completely different heraldry to his fellow battle brothers; however the serf kept to the tenet of speaking only when he was spoken too. It had served him well for the past ten years.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<EDIT> Speeling errorz...

That's all for now,

Cambrius

I can tell this will be good. The last one was ;)

Here's hoping...I recall the last time everyone was booking a certain writer's body parts to own if he failed at making a good read for everyone. <_<

Cambrius

The only way you can disappoint me is if you reference myself or my Chapter wrongly...but seeing as I am not famous enough for that (except it might have been me that started the Liber campaign...just saying) to be referenced then you have nothing to worry about :blush:

I can tell this will be good. The last one was :D

Here's hoping...I recall the last time everyone was booking a certain writer's body parts to own if he failed at making a good read for everyone. :eek

Cambrius

Ah,yes. I still have nightmares about that. ;)

And just to get the ball rolling, if no mention is made of my super-special-awesome Liber Heraldry Dept. Hat, well... I claim the teeth. For dice. ;)

EDIT:

I know I'm qualified as all get-out to be part of the Heraldy dept, but I have utterly no idea who else is, since I'm the only one who regularly mentions it! :P

EDIT EDIT:

Wretched Typos; Begone from my sight! *Banishes typos to the nether-hells of bad grammar*

I can tell this will be good. The last one was :P

Here's hoping...I recall the last time everyone was booking a certain writer's body parts to own if he failed at making a good read for everyone. ^_^

Cambrius

You did make reference to that :) As for claiming things, well, Felix seemed to fail to notice one particular mod's meltagun, so if you miss it again, I'd like the metacarpals and the phalanges attached, I could always grow my knucklebone collection :P

On a more serious note, the only things I noticed were that 1) see above and 2) Octavulg already knew Felix's name. Other than that, looking good and in much the same vein as the original ^_^

The only way you can disappoint me is if you reference myself or my Chapter wrongly...but seeing as I am not famous enough for that (except it might have been me that started the Liber campaign...just saying) to be referenced then you have nothing to worry about

I'm sure if the Angels of Shadow or Light do appear I'd attempt to be accurate in their description. ;) I'm not Deric.

Another fine work ... keep it up.

Thanks Ecritter, part 2 will probably emerge at the end of the weekend, depending on when I can have time to write it properly.

Ah,yes. I still have nightmares about that.

And just to get the ball rolling, if no mention is made of my super-special-awesome Liber Heraldry Dept. Hat, well... I claim the teeth. For dice.

I'm sure you do Ace. I think I might be the same after this...:) LHD© hat eh? In my 4 years on the board and being part of the LHD I have never seen such a thing...:P I see you still remember what I claimed then as well Ace. ;)

EDIT:

I know I'm qualified as all get-out to be part of the Heraldy dept, but I have utterly no idea who else is, since I'm the only one who regularly mentions it! :P

I have a list of people whom I feel are part of our merry band the of Heraldry Department, one certain honorary mention will be in there.

Here's hoping...I recall the last time everyone was booking a certain writer's body parts to own if he failed at making a good read for everyone.

Cambrius

You did make reference to that. As for claiming things, well, Felix seemed to fail to notice one particular mod's meltagun, so if you miss it again, I'd like the metacarpals and the phalanges attached, I could always grow my knucklebone collection.

Did I? :) Must have subliminally put it in without me realising...now I think Felix was a slight bit more concerned about the chaos star as meltaguns can be a rather common sight for serfs in the Legio if they pass the armoury and such. But if you make another appearance I'll be sure to reference dear old Doris (what, you think I don't know about your melta's pet name? ;) :P). It's still amusing to see how far some members have come, why I remember when you first came to these boards as a young little neophyte and here you are Thirst, carrying the melta of banhammery. It makes me tear up just thinking about it...

On a more serious note, the only things I noticed were that 1) see above and 2) Octavulg already knew Felix's name. Other than that, looking good and in much the same vein as the original

1) Explanaiton jovially given

2) "The green armoured marine nodded and hooked the ball to his belt, noting the serf’s name before turning and beckoning Taren to follow him,

“Follow me then Felix Taren, I’ll show you the way. I have need to visit that place myself to inform someone of some news.”

Also, if I am not mistaken, dearest Octy is a Lexicanum of the board, and thus he possesses certain preternatural abilities of a psyker too.

All the comments/death threats/body part claiming is greatly appreciated guys! As said above, I hope to have part 2 up at the end of the weekend fingers crossed.

Cambrius

Ah,yes. I still have nightmares about that.

And just to get the ball rolling, if no mention is made of my super-special-awesome Liber Heraldry Dept. Hat, well... I claim the teeth. For dice.

I'm sure you do Ace. I think I might be the same after this...:lol: LHD© hat eh? In my 4 years on the board and being part of the LHD I have never seen such a thing...:P I see you still remember what I claimed then as well Ace. ;)

You've never seen my Liber Heraldry Dept. Hat? :blink:

For the last year or so I've usually prefaced my suggestions for colourschemes with *Puts on Heraldry Dept. Hat*, at which point I usually don my wide-brimmed blue hat*, complete with long green and grey feathers on one side. Goggles are optional for heavy duty paintschemes!

For Example:

*Catches Heraldry Dept. Hat from thin air*

What colour heraldry do these chaps have?

Heraldry Dept Hat is on...? Check. ;)
Do you have something in mind, or should I be reaching for my Heraldry Dept. Hat?

* And I never once in all that time claimed it was tasteful. Just traditional.

All the comments/death threats/body part claiming is greatly appreciated guys! As said above, I hope to have part 2 up at the end of the weekend fingers crossed.

Cambrius

That's right, cross your fingers quickly... before someone claims them. ;)

...No, I haven't been waiting almost a year to be on the other end of the 'grisly-demands-made-of-authors' stick. What a ridiculous idea! :)

You've never seen my Liber Heraldry Dept. Hat? :)

For the last year or so I've usually prefaced my suggestions for colourschemes with *Puts on Heraldry Dept. Hat*, at which point I usually don my wide-brimmed blue hat*, complete with long green and grey feathers on one side. Goggles are optional for heavy duty paintschemes!

For Example:

*Catches Heraldry Dept. Hat from thin air*

What colour heraldry do these chaps have?

Heraldry Dept Hat is on...? Check. ;)
Do you have something in mind, or should I be reaching for my Heraldry Dept. Hat?

* And I never once in all that time claimed it was tasteful. Just traditional.

How in the name of the Emperor beloved by all did I miss these?! :blink: It seems you have taken my place in that respect on providing heraldry Ace whilst I've been a student at Uni. :P I must get me a hat of similar style at some point...

...No, I haven't been waiting almost a year to be on the other end of the 'grisly-demands-made-of-authors' stick. What a ridiculous idea! :lol:

Of course you haven't brother. ;) We all know the truth.

Cambrius

Excellently done! I'm amazingly humbled that my little story has had so many fans. Between you, Ace, and DAT, we have quite a collection of stories. Fantastic story so far, and the references and small bits are great! As I constantly rely on the Heraldry Dept to color my chapters -Ace in particular- I am glad they are getting their moment in the limelight :)

Nice work Brother Cambrius! Keep it coming, the sooner the better :P

EDIT: After rereading it, I am super impressed that you kept all the consistency from the first story. Angels across from Wolves, the description of the Liber symbol, etc etc. So awesome. Again, super well done Camb.

You did make reference to that. As for claiming things, well, Felix seemed to fail to notice one particular mod's meltagun, so if you miss it again, I'd like the metacarpals and the phalanges attached, I could always grow my knucklebone collection.

Did I? :P Must have subliminally put it in without me realising...now I think Felix was a slight bit more concerned about the chaos star as meltaguns can be a rather common sight for serfs in the Legio if they pass the armoury and such. But if you make another appearance I'll be sure to reference dear old Doris (what, you think I don't know about your melta's pet name? ;) :P). It's still amusing to see how far some members have come, why I remember when you first came to these boards as a young little neophyte and here you are Thirst, carrying the melta of banhammery. It makes me tear up just thinking about it...

Yeah... I'm a young'n. If you don't mind me getting too senimental and nostalgic, I wasn't exactly the most amazingly mature member when I came, and the Liber helped turn that around. As you said - look where I am now B)

(Oh, and her name is Hera ;) )

On a more serious note, the only things I noticed were that 1) see above and 2) Octavulg already knew Felix's name. Other than that, looking good and in much the same vein as the original

1) Explanaiton jovially given

2) "The green armoured marine nodded and hooked the ball to his belt, noting the serf’s name before turning and beckoning Taren to follow him,

Also, if I am not mistaken, dearest Octy is a Lexicanum of the board, and thus he possesses certain preternatural abilities of a psyker too.

Cambrius

1) Hmmmmm... acceptable, I suppose :P

2) Oops... forget I said anything

Look forward to seeing the next part up :yes:

EDIT: :)

I'm guessing that if I turn up in the story I'll be trying to convince someone that nothing says 'brutal, assault-loving marines' like a good coat of hawk turquoise trimmed with blazing orange. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Actually, that looks quite good. Huh.

I think I just failed to ridicule myself.

i cant help it. the first one was funny to me...this is getting there and i see it will hit just as many good points as it does laugh buttons. parody as this is, i dont know whether to praise or pity the work on it, or the inclusion of the individual members. keep this up!

So, Cambrius...

Have you gone into hiding, or do I get my new dice now...? ;)

No I'm currently lost in the warp of what is known as dissertation work at University, however I have done a few pages that'll be uploaded together at once when they are done. :)

Cambrius

Archived