Flesh Tearers: Quest for Glory

Greetings, brothers. The High Lords of Terra have decreed that I turn my attention from my beloved Black Templars and move to another chapter for the time being. A few years back, I was able to acquire the latest version of Space Hulk and all the Terminator goodness inside. Not wanting to shave off the iconography and ruin these nice models, I let them sit for years on my table, unsure of what to do with them. Finally, after shipping off to college, I realized my painting skills had gotten to the point where I could at least not embarrass myself while painting these terrific models. After much deliberation, I have settled on the Flesh Tearers. They strike me as a unique chapter in the long history of the galaxy, neither decreed renegade nor accepted by the Imperium. I will be posting my progress here, and I welcome any and all commentary and criticism you have, brothers. Be aware, I am enamored with the fluff of Warhammer 40,000 and every battle-brother I post will have a profile... Eventually.

gallery_62495_6617_781828.jpg

Brother Culter has served the Flesh Tearers for nearly two hundred years. In that time, he has felled kings, deamons, and traitors, all with equal vigor. He is one of the most vocal critics of Chapter Master Seth's new policy of redemption, believing that the Flesh Tearers should hold no guilt for their past crimes. In his mind, all those outside of the Adeptus Astartes owe their continued existence to the bravery of Space Marines like the Flesh Tearers, so if a few are killed in an engagement by accident, then they are merely the price paid for the rest's continued welfare. This distain for human life has put him harshly at odds with Seth, who sees him as a traitor and an upstart. Unfortunately, too many of the remaining first company agree with Culter and are unwilling to apologize for their chapter's dark past.

gallery_62495_6617_74597.jpg

Wielding an ancient hammer from the time of the Great Heresy, Brother Conatio has a blunt and direct manner similar to his weapon. Like Culter, he disagrees with Seth's desire for a glorious end for their chapter, but he believes in duty first, and he does agree with Seth that Culter's behavior borders on treasonous. A stern and uncompromising Astartes, Conatio follows his orders to the letter and harshly judges those who disobey their orders. The most famous instance of this is the Defense of Lacuna IV. Conatio and his squad had been tasked with reinforcing a beleaguered line of guardsmen. Standing beside a young guardsmen who quaked in fear, Conatio felt only hatred and the Red Thirst tugging at him. When ordered to fire, the boy merely whimpered and vomited. Conatio raised his hammer and pulped the sniveling whelp, roaring with fury as the first shots from both sides rang out.

gallery_62495_6617_155956.jpg

Codicier Dolus stands as an enigma even to his fellow remaining Librarians in the Flesh Tearers. He served with the Deathwatch for many years before returning to his duties in the chapter. Even as other Librarians desperately train new Flesh Tearers Neophytes in the way of the Warp, Dolus excuses himself from such duties. Nearly always in seclusion, Dolus only joins the battle if his presence would mean the difference between victory and defeat. This whole situation places Seth in an odd position. Dolus stands as the eldest and most experienced member of the Flesh Tearers Librarius. However, no one would ever accept Dolus as a Epistolary, much less the Chief Librarian. Seth puts off the decision but he knows that he will one day have to choose between placing an outcast on the chapter council or snubbing one of the most powerful assets the Flesh Tearers still have.

gallery_62495_6617_195244.jpg

(Profile forthcoming)

gallery_62495_6617_423057.jpg

(Profile forthcoming)

gallery_62495_6617_341769.jpg

(Profile forthcoming)

Thanks for looking! I'll keep this space updated (or at least try)!

Ha! How right you are, Brother. Still, I am very proud of my Death Company Marines. They were my first forays into the Flesh Tearers. Originally, I was just going to paint them up as regular Flesh Tearers and run them as Vanguard Veterans, but the Death Company Rules are just too cool!

going up against Stealers with lightning claws marks you as borderline psycho in any case....

Haha that made me chuckle...

Right back on topic...I think your Flesh tearers are coming along very nicely, the only thing I will day is your black areas on the termies need to be sharper and the black as a whole on the DC needs more 'ooomph', this is by no means a dig just a bone for you to nibble at layer maybe??

Rob

I think Culter ought to be Death Co as well - going up against Stealers with lightning claws marks you as borderline psycho in any case....

I have seen that model painted that way, and it looks great when done well. Sadly, may painting skills are merely average and as Rob pointed out, my black painting could use some work. But thanks for the comment!

Right back on topic...I think your Flesh tearers are coming along very nicely, the only thing I will day is your black areas on the termies need to be sharper and the black as a whole on the DC needs more 'ooomph', this is by no means a dig just a bone for you to nibble at layer maybe??

No offense taken. Thank you for the constructive criticism! I've been debating the highlights on the black. It can look great when done well but my highlights are already messy and that will stand out a ton on black highlights. Still, if I do a test model, I'll be sure to post it. Thanks for the comment, Rob!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings brothers! Another update! This time, from the honored First Company of the Flesh Tearers: Captain Alucard, the Count of Cretacia.

gallery_62495_6617_504187.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_394310.jpg

"There, beside an artillary battery, the silver light of the moon struck a half-crouching figure, snowy white... something dark stood behind the battery where the white figure shone, and bent over it. What it was, whether man or beast, I could not tell." -Excepted from the last journal entry of Commander Harker, 105th Cadian

Captain Alucard has a fearsome reputation for bloodlust ill-befiting his prominent position within the Flesh Tearers. Whereas the chapter as a whole is infamous for its savagery and ferocity, Alucard's transgressions are far more disturbing. For five hundred years, Alucard has served the chapter and the Emperor, and for five hundred years Alucard has strained under the constant influence of the Red Thirst. For Alucard, the Red Thirst has never dissipated from the time it first seeped into his mind, yet he remains conscious and aware. Some would even call him charismatic, despite the fact the the air around him seems unnaturally colder than his surroundings. "Ice King," "Frost Skin," and "Old Blood-Drinker" are just a few of the names Alucard has been given over the years, all of them he brushes off with a smirk and a laugh. For Alucard, the accusations of others mean nothing. He has lived longer than even Gabriel Seth and leads the opposition of Seth's strategy of redemption through destruction. However, Alucard is far more polite than any of his other detractors, especially Culter, so Seth accepts Alucard's stance. One of Alucard's most famous conflicts comes from a one-on-one duel he fought against Imotekh the Stormlord. After launching a surprise teleporting assault against the Necron's command ship, Alucard faced Imotekh over the broken forms of his Immortal bodyguard. Despite the strength afforded to him by the Red Thirst and his copious experience with the sword, the Stormlord took his eye within seconds. However, for whatever reason, the Stormlord allowed him to escape and since that day, Alucard has sworn revenge on the Necron strategist. When once asked about his hatred for the Stormlord by Chapter Master Seth, Alucard merely replied: "My revenge has just begun! I spread it over centuries and time is on my side." How he believes time is on his side against the immortal Necron lord is anyone's guess.

Hi, love your minis and fluff.

But, hey, aint Cap. Alucard supposed to have long dark hair?

You should, also, make something special out of his storm bolter, just to make him look more like the Hellsing guy.

Always liked the idea of fully vampire blood angels descendants, and am having a go at it myself.

I, however, have chosen the Knights of Blood, as (IMHO) their "renegade but still loyal" fluff better fits the image of a chapter that

has fully slipped into red thirst, but still har rational thoughts and purpuse.

Like your stuff very much, anyways.

Keep it up!

Thanks NightGount! Your feedback is most welcome. I am planning on adding a melta gun barrel to make Alucard's storm bolter to make it a combi-melta, so if that makes it more "special," then you should be happy! I also thought about doing the nights of blood, but it came down to my love of Mortarion's fantastic minis and the dark, brooding colors of the Flesh Tearers. Good luck with your project and I hope to see more from you!

Minor unrelated update: My bitz came in the mail so I can now modify my Librarian's staff and give him a storm shield in place of that near-useless storm bolter.

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_62495_6617_428069.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_884430.jpg

Anyone remember this guy? Well, he's back! And full upgraded! Gone is the storm bolter and flat axe. Thanks to Mortrian's great Flesh Tearer's thread, I got the inspiration I needed to spruce up Dolus. I think he has a unique silhouette that will be unmistakeable on the battlefield. Sorry the picture is kind of askew. Didn't notice it when I first took the photo and I am too lazy to retake right now. Here's Mortrian's thread, give it a look (because it is AWESOME): Heroes of the Flesh Tearers

gallery_62495_6617_194979.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_782024.jpg

Brother Azymus has faithfully served the Flesh Tearers for over two centuries, but even with that incredible amount of experience, he still adheres to the most insignificant matters of protocol. One of the stanchest supporters of the idea of Space Marines as an visible example to humanity, he takes it upon himself to inspect all of his battle-brothers on the eve of every battle. While many of the younger marines scoff at his haughty demeanor, all of them come to respect him through his heroic deeds and selflessness in battle. Many a young Astartes has ignored Azymus' criticisms only to find themselves saved from death only by his bravery. Nearly every Flesh Tearer has some story regarding Azymus and his influence accounts for many of the Flesh Tearers repainting their armor to be spotless after every battle. Regarding Seth's constant quest for redemption, Azymus offers not opinion. "My mind is not one for great questions,' he says. 'So long as I can protect my battle-brothers and the citizens of the Imperium, I am content."

gallery_62495_6617_660993.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_348159.jpg

He rarely speaks. He never listens. He is Brother Caligo and he cares not for the trivial arguments of the chapter. After two dozen years of fixing and breaking technology as a Flesh Tearer, he was sent to Mars to learn the ways of the Techmarine. What happened while he studied on Mars remains unknown, but he was returned to the chapter having not completed his training and with a simple warning from the Tech-Priests: "Watch him." Now, Brother Caligo toils for the chapter in the fist company, but he remains distant from everyone and can often be found ceaselessly wandering the halls of The Pride of Baal, a ship that plays host to many of the first company. He noticeably avoids the few Techmarines the chapter has left and has a distinct hatred of servo skulls. In addition, Caligo constantly petitions Seth to get the chapter into a conflict with the "true enemies of the Emperor," but who those are, he won't disclose to anyone other than Seth.

• 1 month later...
I, Marshal Sampson of Terra of the Blood Angels, vow on the honour of my Chapter to paint and present at least one Chaplain, ten tactical marines, and one Dreadnaught on or before the 31st of March, 2012. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

I have taken the vow, brothers. Let all know that I shall not fail and shall stand ready to defend the Emperor Himself with these models, should He ask it. Blessings be upon you all.

And so it begins! Well, in truth, it already has. I've even started work on models I did not put in my LPC Vow, but what the heck? It'll be FUN. Right.

gallery_62495_6617_528650.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_410794.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_588956.jpg

High Chaplin Carnarvon does not talk much. In fact, he hardly speaks at all. In stark contrast to other Brother-Chaplins, Carnarvon inspires through deeds, not words. As the individual directly responsible for the Flesh Tearer's Death Company, Carnarvon seems to take a great deal of comfort in being as stoic as his often-sedated charges. he has a particular affinity for Dreadnaughts as well and frequently meditates in the shadow of the Ancients while not guarding the Tower of the Lost. Whether this affinity exists as a result of his constant proximity to the doomed members of his Company or as a simple way to pass the time, no one knows. Still, in battle, Carnarvon is a specter of death: cold, focused, and just as silent. The only guaranteed way to get the High Chaplin to speak is to insult Seth's strategy of redemption, as Carnarvon can be counted on to defend the policy, nearly to the point of blows.

gallery_62495_6617_686216.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_778513.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_436739.jpg

A neophyte once asked Brother-Champion Kajion why he acted so different from all other Space Marines. Kajion smiled and replied with what has become his most-quoted line: "We are bred for war, young one, but we are not limited to it. Even Sanguinus liked art." Kajion has been across the entire universe, making a pilgrimage to Terra, serving in the Deathwatch, and even temporarily joining a contingent of Sisters of Battle well before the infamous Gaius Point Massacre. How he has had so many experiences in his relatively young life baffle many recruits, but Kajion pays them no mind. He stands as a member of Seth's personal honor guard and despite his station, shines in the use unconventional tactics. "If I have to challenge an enemy leader to a duel,' Kaji once boasted 'Then Master Seth didn't use whatever strategy I recommended!" Kajiko fiercely supports Seth's policy, abet for his own reasons. When not in battle, his mind drifts to a Sister of Battle, Sister Misato of the Order of the Bloody Rose... and if the Flesh Tearers can reclaim their honor, then maybe he will see her again.

WIP for LPC

gallery_62495_6617_637277.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_227027.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright! My camera crapped out recently and so I have resorted to taking pictures with my Nintendo DSi. The pictures are not as good as the ones from my good camera, obviously, but not as painful as I anticipated.

gallery_62495_6617_5388.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_43779.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_66061.jpg

Dreadnaught Alistair has seen more wars than he can recount, though he often tries to recall them all in the presence of the Flesh Tearer's scouts. Known for his jovial attitude and lighthearted view of the grim darkness, Alistair laughs in the face of death even as it inches ever closer. Alistair's sense of humor stems from all the irony he sees in his life. He was picked to be a Space Marine after accidentally slaying one of the great reptiles on Cretacia. He was promoted to the First Company after his power sword slipped out of his hand and flew through the head of the sinister Ork Warboss Grimgraz Deffkill. The Techmarines declared that his unwillingness to be confined into a Dreadnaught at the onset of death was, in fact, true humility, cementing his hero status and ensuring that he would get interred. While some have mistook Alistair's lack of seriousness for blasphemy, Alistair has proved his loyalty to the Emperor of Mankind on a thousand battlefields across the stars. Though Alistair keeps up a good front, the truth of his mental status is not good. He can only hold the Black Rage back for so long and every time he gets awakened from his slumber, he feels it seeping further over his better instincts.

• 2 months later...

Better pictures of Brother Alistair and Librarian-Brother Natus joins the ranks.

gallery_62495_6617_324688.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_265907.jpg

The honored Librarian still needs magnetizing.

gallery_62495_6617_475563.jpg

A size comparison with Dolus. That tactical dreadnought armor sure lives up to its name!

gallery_62495_6617_975649.jpg

Librarian-Brother Natus does not identify with his brothers much any more. After decades spent in the Deathwatch, Natus returned to the Flesh Tearers unimpressed with the savagery the displayed in battle. After learning the art of reflective meditation from a Mantis Warrior in the Deathwatch, Natus' held his gene seed in check and he exhibited no signs of the Red Thirst or Black Rage. However, when he returned to the Flesh Tearers ready to spread his teachings, he found almost no one willing to commit to the practice of meditation. Natus realized that many brothers saw their curse as a blessing and would not willing part with it. Finding this abhorrent, Natus withdrew from his brothers more and more until his untimely death at the hands of a champion of Khorne. Deciding that his experience was too valuable and that the chapter was already lacking in Librarians, Seth interred Natus' broken form into a dreadnought. Tellingly, Natus' first words were not of gratitude, but disgust. "You did not think my wisdom was worthy in life, but now you venerate me in death?" His attitude has not changed in recent years and Seth rarely deploys him because of Natus' reluctance to follow orders. Still, one young techmarine seems to have been able to connect with the ancient dreadnought and it remains to be seen if he can end Natus' apathy.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, until I get my hands on Gabriel Seth, this is my Captain and his command squad for the moment:

gallery_62495_6617_490852.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_651468.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_256800.jpg

I'm quite proud of the banner:

gallery_62495_6617_798904.jpg

Another view:

gallery_62495_6617_674057.jpg

Behind:

gallery_62495_6617_534174.jpg

Captain Sidus:

gallery_62495_6617_427014.jpg

Brother Hector:

gallery_62495_6617_31809.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_703361.jpg

Quite proud of the vials on the apothecary here:

gallery_62495_6617_399044.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_108178.jpg

"You want me to put the hammer down?" "Uh, bad call, he loves his hammer."

gallery_62495_6617_788633.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_16621.jpg

Very nice work!

Lovely freehand, particularly the Aquila on the back of the banner (it's always troublesome finding something to do on the back...all that open space!) and on brother Hector.

Could I suggest a sepia wash on the flesh and parchment areas? I think that would add depth.

How about some small highlights on the banner image too? It's an excellent image and I think a few highlights would improve it further.

Thanks! I like the idea of a few marines not always agreeing with the chapter master. The internal politics of it interest me.

Here are a few pics of a random Vanguard Veteran I finished. I'm making a squad of them out of leftovers from other squads, so who knows when they'll be done.

gallery_62495_6617_69670.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_736862.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_308544.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey gang! I have been quite active the past few months, but have had simply no time to upload anything! Here is Dreadnaught Phrenesis!

gallery_62495_6617_473468.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_1098613.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_391045.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_459905.jpg

Before his internment in his armored shell, Brother-Dreadnaught Phrenesis was a veteran of the 1st company and Champion of Captain Sidus. When he fell at the hands of a cursed champion of Slaanesh , the few Techmarines the Flesh Tearers still possessed deemed his service worthy of a dreadnaught. However, hey could not have known their folly when they placed him in the ancient life-preserving machine. The Slaanesh champion had killed Phrenesis with a multi-barbed whip that flooded even the mind with toxins bearing every pain imaginable. When Phrenesis' mind became aware again, this sensations began anew. His pain-fueled rampage through the Pride of Baal is still spoken of in hushed tones among the first company. From there, it only took a few hours for the Black Rage to set in and he now rends the enemies of the Flesh Tearers in a desperate attempt to dull the pain he feels in his remaining senses.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update, brothers! The Flesh Tearers have finally taken to the skies!

gallery_62495_6617_690643.jpg

gallery_62495_6617_59853.jpg

I had to get one of these after my brother helpfully pointed out that my army completely lacks and sort of fast-moving anti-tank solution. Combine that with the new Stormraven I have and I think my brother's Leman Russ tanks are in for quite a suprise...

Archived