New Necron Codex Questions

Azulz

So far I only got 2 questions concerning this codex.

1. wargear vs wargear, wraiths whipcoil vs banshee mask, what happens?

2. if the doom scythe puts its death ray shot 12" out then the other point ends up goin sideways, around building, does the unit that are hit around the corner get a cover save?

2. if the doom scythe puts its death ray shot 12" out then the other point ends up goin sideways, around building, does the unit that are hit around the corner get a cover save?

1. Roll off. Think that's been covered somewhere - though sadly I cant offer a quote for where (its not a rulebook quote).

2. LOS and cover is always worked out from the firer, so yeh, they would do.

1. Roll off, this is covered in the Base Rulebooks FAQ.

Q: When two special rules or effects contradict each

other how is this resolved? (p2)

A: Roll off using ‘The Most Important Rule!’.

2. Unless the Death Ray specifically says it ignores cover you follow standard cover rules.

This is not an answer per se, but shows the precedent, not that Games Workshop follows that.

"Q: If a model with Lash Whips is attacking a model with an Initiative-boosting rule/piece of wargear (e.g. Furious Charge, an Eldar Banshee Mask etc.), which order are the Initiatives modified?

A: The Lash Whips will reduce an enemy model’s initiative to 1 before any other modifiers are applied. So, a model with Furious Charge that assaults a Tyranid with Lash Whips will strike at Initiative 2, and an Eldar with a Banshee Mask will strike at Initiative 10 in the first round of assault." C:T FAQ

This is not an answer per se, but shows the precedent, not that Games Workshop follows that.

"Q: If a model with Lash Whips is attacking a model with an Initiative-boosting rule/piece of wargear (e.g. Furious Charge, an Eldar Banshee Mask etc.), which order are the Initiatives modified?

A: The Lash Whips will reduce an enemy model’s initiative to 1 before any other modifiers are applied. So, a model with Furious Charge that assaults a Tyranid with Lash Whips will strike at Initiative 2, and an Eldar with a Banshee Mask will strike at Initiative 10 in the first round of assault." C:E FAQ

If I recall correctly the Banshee Mask FAQ says otherwise though? Which just makes things awkward.

If I recall correctly the Banshee Mask FAQ says otherwise though? Which just makes things awkward.

I incorrectly attributed my previous quote; the FAQ answer I quoted is actually from the C:T FAQ, and I have corrected my post. The C:E FAQ does not include any mention of Howling Banshees or their wargear.

my mistake. The Grey Knight FAQ says the opposite XD

Q: If a model with a Nemsesis force halberd has had his

Initiative reduced to a fixed number by an

ability/special rule, do they still get the +2 Initiative

from the Halberd? (p54)

A: No.

I do not understand how the rulings are inconsistent; they are apples and oranges. Banshee Mask ("has Initiative 10") and Lash Whip ("counts as Initiative 1") are wargear that set a Characteristic to a specific value. Force Halberd ("strikes at +2 Initiative") is wargear that modifies a Characteristic by a specific amount.

Lash Whip ("counts as Initiative 1") Furious Charge ("strikes at +1 Initiative") which the ruling says you apply after Lash Whip according to the Codex Tyranids FAQ but according the the Grey Knights FAQ Lash Whip ("counts as Initiative 1") Force Halbert ("strikes at +2 Initiative") is a no go. That is inconsistent.

If something with quantum shielding rams another vehicle, do you count the extra av pts?

Do the canoptek spiders start with 1 scarab base like the last codex or do you have to purchase a unit to use the spiders "scarab hive" rule?

How does the cryptek tremorstave and Orikan's temporal snare work against units like harlequins and those that are slow and purposeful?

Can Obyron use his ghost mantle to port his whole unit to Zahndrekh's aid when responding to vargard duty?

I've always played it that if a special rules states that Characteristic X has a value of Y then that is absolute and unmodifiable. So +2I is modifiable, whereas I10 is absolute. Like Power Fists are always I1 regardless of furious charge.

It never occured to me that it could be different. I'm 'fairly' sure that the intent is how I've always played it - Characteristic X is absolute, Characteristic + or - X is modifiable.

I do not understand how the rulings are inconsistent; they are apples and oranges. Banshee Mask ("has Initiative 10") and Lash Whip ("counts as Initiative 1") are wargear that set a Characteristic to a specific value. Force Halberd ("strikes at +2 Initiative") is wargear that modifies a Characteristic by a specific amount.

If you read the Lash Whip ruling again it specifically references wargear or rules that modify Initiative. Lash whips says "heck yeah modify that initiative!" and the Halberd Entry reads "Heck No! Don't modify that initiative" So when you have a halberd unit in combat with something with Lash Whips Im pretty sure the universe becomes diametrically opposed and implodes in upon itself. :D

@azulz

Orikan Vs. Slow and Purposeful would only cause Dangerous if they were actually moving through terrain (its pretty specific) If they are out in the open it doesnt do anything to them. (Time is relative after all)

If you could say Take First turn. Clock a unit with a temorstave & had Orikan then I believe they would take the Dangerous since they would be in Diffcult Terrain as per the rules on Tremorstaves.

I don't believe the last edition Spydrs started with a scarab base... If you read Scarab Hive again it should be pretty clear what you are supposed to do and how it works...Im not really sure what your issue is here except maybe that you dont have the book/havent read it in depth yet?...

Nothing in that book has quantum shielding and can ram so its a non issue. I Would say yes though. Especially when taking rams and the like.

Ill read the old dex when I get home but pretty sure you could at least purchase a scarab base to start. The way the wording is in the new dex is hard to interpret whether or not you need to.

And you can still ram even if something isn't a tank right? So you could ram with a ghost ark?

And you can still ram even if something isn't a tank right? So you could ram with a ghost ark?

Not without a special rule allowing it - the BRB only allows Tanks to Tank Sock and Ram, not other types of vehicles.

Ill read the old dex when I get home but pretty sure you could at least purchase a scarab base to start. The way the wording is in the new dex is hard to interpret whether or not you need to.

Its all in the first few words of rules :3

"Nominate a Canoptek Scarab Unit within 6"..."

can you meet that requirement? No? then no base B)

If something with quantum shielding rams another vehicle, do you count the extra av pts?

They don't have the Tank type, so they can't ram at all.

Do the canoptek spiders start with 1 scarab base like the last codex or do you have to purchase a unit to use the spiders "scarab hive" rule?

No, they do not. You have to purchase at least one unit of Canoptek Scarabs in a fast Attack slot to use the Scarab Hive ability.

How does the cryptek tremorstave and Orikan's temporal snare work against units like harlequins and those that are slow and purposeful?

Herlequins ignore all difficult terrain, and so would ignore the effects piled onto the difficult terrain.

Can Obyron use his ghost mantle to port his whole unit to Zahndrekh's aid when responding to vargard duty?

No, his rule specifically states that he leaves his current unit and piles into the combat involving Zandrekh.

A followup question to this one should be "Does he pile in from the direction he was coming from, or does he pile in anywhere in the combat he feels like?"

All correct I believe except you kind of forgot that other tanks can still ram Necron vehicles... :)

Logically I can see no reason why Quantum shielding doesn't count for ramming purposes, since it counts for everything else.

I havent figured out how to pull apart replies to insert different quotes yet so , sorry for the format.

1. Yup they cant ram , dont know why I got that one confused.

2. Last Cron codex the spiders could create swarms for themselves, thats why I got that one confused, plus army builder let yolu purchase a scarab base to start so... that's where I went wrong.

3. Someone at my local gameshop said something about Harleys avoiding ACTUAL terrain, not things that affect them as moving in such???

4. The entry for Obryron specifically states he uses the ghost mantle to leave the current battle he is in, so why could he not use its normal rules now to port his whole unit?

3. Someone at my local gameshop said something about Harleys avoiding ACTUAL terrain, not things that affect them as moving in such???

"They ignore difficult terrain." C:DE page 42, C:E page 48

Archived