New Necron Codex Questions

Azulz

They are also a skimmer which means they can't ram to begin with so it should not even have come up as a questions but the DE ones can if they take a shock prow. Skimmers need special equipment to tank shock.

Incorrect. The only qualification for ramming is that it be a Tank, or have wargear that allows it to Ram without being a Tank. Skimmer has nothing to do with ramming. Eldar skimmer tanks can ram, as can Devilfish.

4. The entry for Obryron specifically states he uses the ghost mantle to leave the current battle he is in, so why could he not use its normal rules now to port his whole unit?

I'm almost positive it only says that he leaves the unit he's with to pile in to the battle in which the Nemesor is engaged.

Why is this mentioned in the codex?

"A Gauss flux Arc can be fired at a different target unit to other weapons on the vehicle (including other gauss flux arcs) subject to the normal rules for shooting." C:N P,81

The reason I ask this is because there are only 2 weapon types on the Monolith, correct? The Arc's , and the Particle Whip, which is ordnance.

I thought if you fired ordnance weapon , you couldnt fire anything else...Therefor when would you ever be able to use the Arc's in conjunction with the Whip?

"to other weapons on the vehicle" If they didnt mention this the rest of the sentence "(including other gauss flux arcs) " would be sufficient. Why not just say "Arc's can fire at different targets."? I think the word "including" is what really throws me off, they also could have just put an "i.e" there.

And since the Monolith isn't FAST, if you move you fire only 1 weapon, right? So that means only 1 Arc can be fired? Oh wait , it's "heavy" so move and fire all weapons,,,including the whip?

I'm guessing the answer is , move or remain still fire just the Whip, move or remain still fire all the Arc's. Is this correct?

And since the Monolith isn't FAST, if you move you fire only 1 weapon, right? So that means only 1 Arc can be fired? Oh wait , it's "heavy" so move and fire all weapons,,,including the whip?

the portal attack is also treated as a weapon.

Oh ok so we can throw that into the mix also.

Now do we follow the BRB that says deepstriking models moved at cruising speed or the codex which says it cannot move faster than combat speed?

I would also guess that lance weapons would negate the 13AV of quantum shielding correct?

@ ShinyRhino "They don't have the Tank type, so they can't ram at all."

Monolith is a tank so it COULD Ram:P

Quantum Shielding says "Until the vehicle suffers a penetrating hit, it counts all Armour Values on its front and side facings as being 2 points higher" p82 cron codex. Since it doesn't say "Vs Shooting" or some such I would assume that it works vs any damage at all. Up until you get a Pen hit of cause.

Quantum Shielding says "Until the vehicle suffers a penetrating hit, it counts all Armour Values on its front and side facings as being 2 points higher" p82 cron codex. Since it doesn't say "Vs Shooting" or some such I would assume that it works vs any damage at all. Up until you get a Pen hit of cause.

A monolith doesnt have Quantum shields....

A monolith doesnt have Quantum shields....
:D

Now you are just being contrary for the giggles :P

Well I mean I did specifcally state on the first page that nothing in the book with Quantum shields can ram but if they could it would probably count.... I dunno. Maybe Im expecting too much from people ;)

True enough. I was under the mistaken impression we were discussing only those vehicles with Shielding, not all Necron vehicles.

You are correct though, if a vehicle with Shielding is the target of an enemy ram attack, it would remain AV13 unless struck in the rear arc.

Question about Quantum Shielding: how would it interact with Lance weapons?

"Until the vehicle suffers a penetrating hit, it counts all Armour Values on its front and side facings as being 2 points higher."

"Due to their unique nature, lance weapons count vehicle Armor Values higher than 12 as 12."

So, would the Quantum Shielding bring it up to 13 (in most cases) and then the Lance brings it down to 12?

That's a fantastic question, Seahawk.

This can go both ways:

1) The AV's are 11 and so are unaffected by the Lance weapon's modifier, then increased to 13 when it comes to the penetration roll.

2) The Lance RAW treats the modified AV as 12.

The first argument: Quantum Shielding does not actually modify the vehicle's AV- the vehicle's AV is 11, it is just counted as 2 points higher. (I keep hearing Brother Ramses' voice booming in my head: "Counts as does not equal is.") Lance weapons deal with actual AV's that are higher than 12.

The second argument: at the time of the armor penetration roll, Lance weapons count all AV>12 as 12, including this new rule.

Tough. :mellow:

This can go both ways:

1) The AV's are 11 and so are unaffected by the Lance weapon's modifier, then increased to 13 when it comes to the penetration roll.

The first argument: Quantum Shielding does not actually modify the vehicle's AV- the vehicle's AV is 11, it is just counted as 2 points higher. (I keep hearing Brother Ramses' voice booming in my head: "Counts as does not equal is.") Lance weapons deal with actual AV's that are higher than 12.

The second argument: at the time of the armor penetration roll, Lance weapons count all AV>12 as 12, including this new rule.

Tough. -_-

due to its nature until a FAQ is out I think we need to use "The Most Important Rule!" BRB p2, both interpretations can be right on the money, so dice off and the winner gets their way.

That being said my "vote" would be role to penetrate vs AV13, the lance rule does not actually change the AV of the vehicle ".... , lance weapons count vehicle Armour Values higher then 12 as 12." and uses AV 12 not the actual 13-14

Quantum shielding is in the same boat "Until the vehicle suffers a penetrating hit, it counts all Armour Values on its front and side facings as being 2 points higher. Once the vehicle has suffered a penetrating hit, it uses its own armour value against subsequent hits.", so the AV of the vehicle is ignored and AV+2 is use instead of the printed AV for all purposes.

ok as you can see my original vote was for 13 but quantum quite clearly is use AV+2 until a penetrating hit lands, not when it comes to the a penetrating roll use AV+2. so the lance comes into affect and AV 12 is used.

On a good note anything that uses AV will always use AV+2 until a penetrating hit lands (like BEING rammed).

This can go both ways:

Tough. -_-

The QS is not reactive. It is up until the vehicle is pen'ed. Therefore the lance is not hitting AV11, but AV13. And so lances that to AV12.

GW has a bad habit of saying 'counts'. Literally, 'counts' is not is, as Brother Ramses points out. But for GW, it is. They have a habit of using a turn of phrase when they need to use concise language.

We have a game show where the guest has to say 'Lock in answer X'. But usually they say 'I think I'll lock in answer X' and the host then has to say 'what are you locking in?' because 'I think I will' ≠ 'I will', even though they actually mean 'I will'.

So it is with GW's turn of phrase 'counts' in terms of rules.

Question: If your Item Z only counts as a 2+ save, then you don't really get a 2+ save, because it is not literally a 2+ save?

Of course not. You get the 2+ save. So using "counts is not is" (which is true!) does not conform to how 40K works.

It is a 2+ save.

The QS is AV13, until pen'ed.

AV13 is AV12 when lanced.

:P

Archived