Inspirational Friday 11/11/2011

Brother Nihm

My friend showed me a white dwarf back in 97 where GW just released the metal noise marines and I just had to get one (doom siren), I went back a week later to get paints and the manager of GW Loughborough at the time (i think he was called Mike) asked me to paint it in the shop, he loved my painting technique (I was 11 so he was a good liar) and gave me a noise marine with sonic blaster as a reward. I just carried on after that. I may have collected a few armies after but I always go back to chaos.

Picked up a random magazine in a shop one day it turns out it was White Dwarf 176. After poring through that for weeks I started buying it every month. That Christmas I got the 2nd edition boxed set and started to try and paint an Ultramarine force. ( I think I even tried using felt pens to colour Sgt) As I was reading through the rules and other books in the box set I came across a piece of art by Mark Gibbons. A Khorne Berzerker standing on a field of skulls with a doom laden quote beneath it. That's when I became hooked on Chaos. Khorne specifically. I wanted to make that Zerker in mini form. I destroyed the marines from my box set trying to convert them and started cutting up the metal Terminators I had replacing their heads with the skulls from Heroquest skeletons. I dropped out of the hobby for a long time but a few years back I found this forum and a forum called Throne of Blood ran by the one and only Teethgrinda (Wade Pryce) The spark was reignited and I set about buying loads of Chaos Marines. I've always loved the converting/modelling side of the hobby but I've recently gotten into painting as well. I may stray to loyal chapters or other renegades but I will always return to the 12th Legion.

When Chaos was first resurrected with the glorious 3.5 Codex (ya know Legion rules and all that? :P) I was tempted to collect chaos before that came along but I wasn't a fan of the models at the time. Once 3.5 came along I lunged and bought loads, even better when the Iron Warriors squad set was released (and the Warsmith) and then even more IW goodness with Storm of Iron!

edit: Argh! Forgot the Iron Warriors index astartes article in an old White Dwarf, that started the ball rolling. That artwork with the Apothecary is awesome. And the terminator. Iron Within.

Moved to 40k after discovering that wh40k is more fantasy than sci-fi. Considering that I was a huge fan of Chaos in FB and I collected those ugly bastards forever, since I was 7 I think (have 6000 army of Warriors and planning some Beastmen), CSM was the only natural choice.

Of course now CSM are becoming less and less interesting... CSM 2007 killed legions on the table. Then take a look at arts in CSM 2003, compare them to modern ones, CSM were horrific abominations, single glance at them should make citizens of Imperium wish there were no Emperor and Astartes ever, and Night Lords were the best of them... Now we have the same glamour space marines but with cute arrows everywhere, and some modern novels are making them so human-like - you can easily forget they were Legions of Horus once... I am even not sure if there is a sense for me to keep collecting them, my Night Lords are going to "dream projects" shelf and I am moving to Emperor's Children as my last hope to get back those glorious times...

Nihm, what about you?

In regards to that subject, I'd like to say that while I don't agree with ADB's portrayal of any Nightlords as a form of anti-hero, I think he's added some great filler to the Legion. Little things like Nostraman or combat terminology. Also some great aesthetic imagery.

You must remember he is only writing about a single company that is down on it's luck to say the least. His Nightlords don't have to be your Nightlords. If you want your Nightlords like mine, nihilistic iredeemable monsters, that fits the fluff in spades too.

I stand in midnight clad, but do so for noone but myself. Not even the dead father.

In regards to that subject, I'd like to say that while I don't agree with ADB's portrayal of any Nightlords as a form of anti-hero, I think he's added some great filler to the Legion. Little things like Nostraman or combat terminology. Also some great aesthetic imagery.

You must remember he is only writing about a single company that is down on it's luck to say the least. His Nightlords don't have to be your Nightlords. If you want your Nightlords like mine, nihilistic iredeemable monsters, that fits the fluff in spades too.

I stand in midnight clad, but do so for noone but myself. Not even the dead father.

This is a great point, and bears emphasizing: what we are provided with in the legion specific background and BL novels are themes, flavours and individual interpretations thereon; there is more than enough "wiggle room" within the bounds of any one legion or cult's background for an insane degree of poetic license.

Take the Death Guard, for example; quite defined in many ways, but what if your force represents a splinter faction whose beliefs emphasize the crushing inevitability of despair? Far from revelling in the condition like many Plague Marines do, they see nothing but the bitter, grinding agony of existence; the inevitable descent into decay and death. Yet they refuse to submit, refuse to surrender and die, for they are sickened by those who revel in the delusions of hope and joy; they wish to bring their truth to the entire universe, reduce it to a vast mausoleum from end to end, before they finally surrender themselves to Nurgle's embrace. Conversely, you may choose a totally different tone and aesthetic; the carnivalesque Plague Marines who take the battlefield dancing and singing joyous hymns to the Plague Lord, their panoply that of a theatre troupe as they indulge the Plague Lord's love of the contrived and absurd. Or perhaps your Plague Marines are infested with a particular form of warp-spawned parasite, their entire bodies hollowed out and made walking hives for clutches of daemonic worms, vile flies and maggots.

There is such a range of possibility within the constraints of a single legion, it's possible to create several armies within the same general ethos that are startlingly different in tone and aesthetic. With any luck, the up and coming codex will also allow the differences to be more than skin-deep.

In regards to that subject, I'd like to say that while I don't agree with ADB's portrayal of any Nightlords as a form of anti-hero, I think he's added some great filler to the Legion.

Sorry for writing offtopic, but I had to write that...

While I really referred to some works of ADB - I never wrote something negative on the matter. In fact, his "One Hate" short story still serves me as source of inspiration for my Night Lords warband and parts of fluff I am trying to create, even if it has nothing to do with actual Night Lords. I meant general movement of Chaos in Warhammer, and ADBs series about Night Lords are good example. In previous editions both 40k and FB Chaos forces were creepy abominations, those models and arts, both troops and champions, they all were ugly bastards, they had some spirit of Chaos I cannot really explain. Now in FB they are dark heroes, they are tall, proud, they are almost noble, they've lost some part of that feel of abominations and horrors to this world, instead of being menace to whole population - they are just one more evil kingdom. In 40k it moved even farther, they are not even heroes, they have no kingdom on their own, they are not a menace, just one little annoyance. They are not even evil, they are just disappointed and little angry. I loved Chaos for its ugliness, abomination, horror it represented, and I don't see it any more, in art, tabletop, novels, only some of it in FB and mostly because fluff is less developed than 40k one.

for me i was inspired by a friend.. he is alot older than me but became my closest gaming buddy.

due to the difference in age and background (he was american) he opened my eyes to many other sci-fi stories.

infact it was his love of everything lovecraftian that started the idea of my "cult of kthulu" chaos army.

as all good ideas do its since taken on a life of its own, but it started with that simple concept

Okay for me it started out playing devil may cry. I always liked the idea of a demon being the good guy/dark hero. That is what I see in Chaos. The way I interpret with 40k is that the warp and the chaos gods are nothing more than the reflection of human emotions. Rather than hiding from it its better to learn about it. So you can prevent losing your sanity.

Furthermore from a technological standpoint I find nothing wrong with infusing demons into weapons to improve its killyness :P.

Once I flipped through a friends 'Realm of Chaos' books, I was forever tainted. It started me dabbling with conversions, and I found that I was actually good at it. The more I read, the more I dabbled, the deeper I slipped.

At one point I ended up doing a straight-up trade of my Eldar army for a friends Chaos army. It wasn't a fair trade, and I knowingly got the short end of the stick. From then on that was it, I had bartered with the Dark Gods and was forever one of their servants.

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade was my introduction to the universe. Eisenhorn got me really interested, and started me researching more online. But the turning point, when I knew that i absolutely had to start collecting, was seeing this picture (at the time it was the first thing that came up when you searched for Chaos Space Marine.)

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/6/68/Daemonworld_sepia.jpg

At the time, I had no idea which Legion it represented, but I was blown away by the brutality and power of the image. If any one image sums up what Chaos Marines are, this is it.

It's been ~3.5 years now, I've got about ~4,000 pts of Chaos, and another ~3,000 points of other armies (some inherited from buddies.) Chaos has found its way into my aesthetic preferences, and even into my fashion (I'm an Industrial/Alternative Dancer as my other hobby. I make a lot of my own clothes, and they are adorned with various chaos symbols. It is also a common theme for my makeup and body art.)

I still play and collect because I have hope for the next codex.

White Dwarf 230 simply. That was the issue for the 3rd edition Codex and was just blown away by the battle report between Graham Daveys Black Legion and Paul Sawyers White Scars. Shortly after I got a small Chaos force that I didnt really game with (at the time Id a decent collection of Ultramarines that were the main focus) but then along came the glorious 3.5 codex :tu: :) Combined with the Eye of Terror campaign and I was sold on Chaos. So it was bye bye Ultras and a Black Legion force thats now around 7000 points began their reign of terror.

Still game (infrequently due to time constraints) today with them but looking forward to the new codex......it will come out at some stage..........

Inspired? The kind that sweeps you away and that you never forget about?

I can't say that I had a defining moment when I first started playing, nor evening when collecting chaos. However, many years later when a novel came out, it fuelled my creative imagination like nothing before and was the first time I really stepped back and thought, really thought, about just how deep chaos ran. How chaos exists in all forms, subtle and brutal, and that the youngest of all Primarchs has a soul as black as that of the Warmaster.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/legion.jpg

Archived