Deciding to go no icon for these vehicles in particular is just such the right choice. You could very much make the case that done up like these are, the tanks are the icon. Anything else is superfluous and pointless.

• 2 weeks later...

As I was contemplating making a new mould of my Havoc Launcher, I got to thinking. Two main things kept crossing my mind.

First, the mould works well enough, but bubbles are still an issue. Cast as a single large block, there's a few too many places for air to get trapped. If I make a similar mould, these problems will continue.

Also, originally I had planned on a different look for the Launcher. I always wanted the face of the missile rack to incorporate a proper eight pointed star in some way, so rockets could actually launch from the star itself.

Hummm... two problems. I think I have one stone for these birds...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Havoc_Launcher_11.jpg

I'm going to rebuild the launcher with several improvements. Cosmetically, I think this is even more Chaos than the first. I got a stylized star on the front, and a proper one on top.

It will be broken up into four parts - front plate, back plate, top and bottom - this will help in casting, since each part with have a blank flat back. When assembled, most of the few bubbles I deal with should be hidden. Or so says the picture in my brain, at the moment.

And, if the 'full size' Launcher turns out well, I think I'll also build a more compact one, like on the left, for the Predators. I don't have my camera at the moment, so some WIP pics will be up a little later. It's already looking nice, but I'm a bit nervous about drilling the next four 'center' holes.

I've also been doing some CAD work for the Land Raider and Predator kits that are next. The Raider is completely from scratch, so It's progressing a bit slower. I know exactly where I'm going with the Predator however, and they both should be turning up sooner rather than later.

Oh yeah, and the Defiler. I've been... playing... a little bit with a Defiler. Shortening its legs, giving it a mantis-like claw, and some other extras. It's going to be very... snippy? :lol:

Neat designs, though I will admit that I would prefer the "compact one" for all my havok launchers.

The defiler sounds like a neat look. Definitely interested in seeing what comes pouring out of your brain.

• 2 weeks later...

I hit a small snag with the Havoc Launcher, so while I was doing some catch up work on it, I started working with this Chaos Land Raider Extra Armour design...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Raider_01.jpg

Once I got started, I had a hard time putting it down. So, after many, many, paper test fits, and a few plastic test fits, this design is ready. Once it's done it will be three parts, with the center plates overlapping the front and back plates. I've already started cutting the first 1mm layer of plastic, and I'm really happy with how it's looking. Photos of this, and all sorts of things I've been working on to follow soon.

But for now, less talk, more build.

Nope, not yet. First, they'll need a ride. I'll admit, with the Raider in progress, I'm more inclined to have a look at Terminators soon. Hummm... *Peers over at the tray of Terminator bits* (like I need another distraction!)

I can't say it enough, just look at a Jewelery Supply place if you want excellent converting tools - Files, Saws, and Drill Bits, primarily. I have a local shop, the only one in my city. But, I also order online from Contenti and/or Rio Grande.

Have a look at some like these saws from Contenti. 2.25" or 3" is usually plenty. It will use blades like these and I find a 3/0 is a good general purpose cut. 5/0 is good for delicate cuts, and a 1/0 for really chewing through material.

Using that saw was the only way I could have made those terminators.

Edited by Subtle Discord

Do want. Can't wait until you start releasing those resin bits!

Looking forward to it, especially that Land Raider armour - it would be a great excuse to buy a new LR as a centrepiece! ;)

I've had a plan in the back of my brain for a Defiler for quite some time. Six small legs, larger mantis-like arm, and a rework of the Flamer. I'm not sure how quickly it's going to progress, but I started with flipping one of the larger arms around to give it a mantis look. I want incorporate chainsword blades inside the claw, but I'm still trying to work out just how.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Defiler_01.jpg

Once I got the early arm done I found that clearance is going to be a problem. Test fits on the Defiler 'torso' had the smaller legs were crowding the new claw.

By shortening the bottom of the leg in a few places, and freeing the 'foot', I was able to lower the legs some. Combined with a good solution for the shoulder (still building) the new arm will have much more swing room. Once I get the shoulder done, and the works is not all being held together with poster-tack, I'll take some photos of this critter.

After a few technical difficulties the new Havoc Launcher is back on track...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Havoc_Launcher_12.jpg

As mentioned before, this one will be broken into smaller parts.

The missile tips are already done for this build, so this one should be done quite soon. I'm happy with how it turned out so I'm definitely going to make the smaller eight missile version as well, for variety.

And the Land Raider. Can't forget the Land Raider...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Raider_02.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Raider_03.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Raider_04.jpg

It took tons of test fits, but it was worth the time. The final fit is turning out really well.

Lots of work to go, but I've really happy with it so far. This project should progress quickly, and I think I'm going to start the Predator Extra Armour and start building them side-by-side.

More, as always, to follow soon.

Your work just gets better and better. Loving the LR and the Havoc. I'm not quite convinced on the Defiler yet but I'm not 100% sure what you're planning yet. I await future updates before saying anything. Say again. Great work brother.

Wow... just spent a few hours on your thread... you work is absolutely incredible. Im dying to get some vehicle trim kits... wow- working on a black legion myself- i gotta say yours is incredibly inspiring- thanks so much for sharing man! After seeing your stuff all I wanna do is work on 40K! Damn I want trim kits! So awesome!

Thanks everyone, as always, for the positive feedback and input. Just wanted to do a quick update to show what I came up with for the Defiler 'shoulder'.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Defiler_02.jpg

When I starting visualizing the idea, this part was the sticking point. Ok, so I want a large mantis inspired arm attached to the torso. The kit gives parts I can reasonably make the arm from, but the 'shoulder'?

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Legion_Defiler_03.jpg

Since I was using a second kit to add parts to this project I cannibalized one of the larger ball joints from the second kit. After playing around with bits-and-pieces for awhile I settled on the included Defiler CCW arm to pull it off. Now that I have the actual connection done, I can start filling it out with armour plates and all the little details like the 'teeth' for the claw. All of the hinges of the kit are still loose, so I have lots of room to change the final pose.

I'm still working to convert some of the smaller legs to have 'snipers', and those are the last major "I'm not quite sure how I going to do that" parts. I want this thing to look like it grabs its unfortunate target with the little legs, pulls them in, and the large claw arm finishes the job. I'm still torn between adding the pointy Chaos bits as mutations (teeth, claws, horns, slime, tentacles), or sticking with the mechanical feel (saw blades, metal spikes and blades, hydraulics).

I would have to say keep it mechanical. There is something deeply disturbing about a machine imitating life I think, I feel that usually is lost when gribbly bits are added. Looking good so far, nice work on the shoulder.

Mechanical would appear to be your particular strong suit*. Go with that.

Also, are you ideologically opposed to using your abilities for personal gain? If you are not I will command my gaming partner to commission you to dress the armour of his 10,000pts of Traitor Legions, whatever the cost**.

*That and blue captions, you're good at those too.

**I thought I'd throw that in. Hey, it's not my money.