"Squirrel!!"

"Where?!"

Time for a tangent.

SOgEwYw.png
Small battery powered multicolour LEDs with a remote control? Well shucks, I've got to be able to come up with an idea for these. *Ponders*

So I ordered another batch of Plasma Globes for my Shield Generator kit and I picked up a few packs of these remote control LED lights to play around with. The remote works surprisingly well but it's Infra Red so the receiver needs some line-of-sight to work; I won't be able to bury these inside an object unless I leave some kind of access port for the IR signal to reach the light, or some simple way to open the object and access the light to activate/change them. I guess I'll need to fool around with them a bit and see what kinds of solutions I can come up with.

Any ideas from readers for what you think they might be good for will be most welcome. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Objective Markers that can change colour depending on their status and to just put them in scenery in general. I have at least one personal project that some will be used for... but that's another story for another day. So yeah, any suggestions are always welcome food for thought.

I was thinking about objective markers as well, probably something similar to the rune stones you did earlier. Tracking the status through the colour of the lights is a good idea.

Can you disassemble the lights? Maybe move the IR receiver in an inconspicuous place. A crack in a rock could be an idea. Or if you go with a completely different idea for the marker, maybe make the receiver part of the piece, like some technical gizmo on a machine.

Unfortunately, unlike the simpler lights I was using before, these can open to replace batteries, but you can't disassemble the top to get the LED light component out. It'll need to go in whatever it gets added to as-is.

Yeah, this time I'm thinking I want to do something technological, or even a marker that is just obviously a marker; like a large glowing 1, 2, 3, etc.. Once I'm able to produce parts in-house... so... very... soon... *Subtle composes himself* I should be able to make virtually anything to wrap around them like a shell. Necron artifacts are one faction that would really suit the idea, but maybe I can figure out some completely unidentified xeno device of some sort.

Unfortunately, unlike the simpler lights I was using before, these can open to replace batteries, but you can't disassemble the top to get the LED light component out. It'll need to go in whatever it gets added to as-is.

Yeah, this time I'm thinking I want to do something technological, or even a marker that is just obviously a marker; like a large glowing 1, 2, 3, etc.. Once I'm able to produce parts in-house... so... very... soon... *Subtle composes himself* I should be able to make virtually anything to wrap around them like a shell. Necron artifacts are one faction that would really suit the idea, but maybe I can figure out some completely unidentified xeno device of some sort.

glowing distress beacons or teleport homers :D

glowing distress beacons or teleport homers :biggrin.:

I think a teleport homer would be cool. I don't recall seeing one of those before. 

*Maniacal laugh!* Who needs sleep!?

q2fYP65.png

So close it hurts, the next 20 Skitarii are within a stone’s throw of being finished. *Subtle picks up a stone*

I thought these squads might get completed faster since I had most of the scheme worked out when I started them. Thinking about it, perhaps they were by a bit quicker, but it sure hasn’t felt like it as I worked away on them. Still another round of small details and they’ll be ready for their first coat of varnish.

97cqe7J.png

*Sigh* Have I ever mentioned I hate backpacks? Yeah, for some reason I really hate backpacks, it’s kinda’ strange.

They’ve become my new basing. Many years ago I did my basing last, and it was always a frustrating and daunting final step required to complete an otherwise finished model. Now that I do my basing as part of the assembly painting the damn backpacks has taken the place as a final… monotonous step… to… complete… rdfntx ghbymgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgthgth…

*Subtle fall asleep on his keyboard*

Thanks, as I was saying over in 'A. Mechanicus... Darkly', yup, I hate blatant repetition so I tried to do something to make the Alpha and the wargear operator look somewhat unique in each squad. The Omnispex is tricky in that regard; what the heck does the operator do with it when they want to use their weapon? Since Mechanicus seem to have an affinity for letting hoses, cables, connectors, and other devices just dangle when not in use, it seemed like a reasonable solution to just let it dangle loosely.

HZJGiN5.png

I've been taking some pictures for an update but I'm just not satisfied with how they look with a bright background; it takes too much adjustment in Photoshop to get the images looking right.

Problem is (a good problem, that is) I don't have a large enough piece of dark material to accommodate 40 models at once. Heck, they barely fit into my larger white background with enough room for a clean border. I've had a plan to look for a large dark background material solution for a while now, so I guess this is as good an excuse as any to head to the art store and see what I can find.

Oh well, time to fall on my bed. Further ramblings from me to arrive in a day or two.

Question: Did you drill the insanely tiny cone "barrel" on the lower portion of the arc rifles? I see you didn't drill the two sort of contact rondels on the upper coil box. This is silly. I have to try to come up with new ways to describe them because I have no idea how those guns work. Mind, this is a good thing. 

Yup, it looks like the LED lights are going to become some kind of beacon/homing device to start with; if I can come up with three versions it will be easy to double them to a nice set of six. I'm also considering how I might be able to create a wound tracker of some sort with dials to be able to change the numbers. I did a project to create a Cryptext in college that has me thinking I could pull it off if I think it through.

MD3OgFB.png

Created with 3D printed masters designed by me, the components all come together to contain a USB drive in the center of a small'ish cryptext container.

if1ETNu.png

With the numbers mixed the cryptext is locked, securing the USB drive. Dial in the correct combination and the USB drive slides out.

If I can get the mechanics of something like this to work I think I can come up with some kind of assembly with two dials that can display wounds. The tricky part is keeping enough access to the IR sensor so the remote control can work to change the colour/effect of the LED. I've still got lots of other projects that are taking priority before I start anything tangible but it's an idea rattling around in the back of my brain.

After creating the cryptext I noticed that it kinda' resembles a small Imperial Frag Grenade. Since I've still got enough USB components to make roughly 10 of them and the moulds are still in good shape, I'm thinking I might make them a limited edition promotional item at some point in the future. Again, I'm not sure how I'd use them, but they're something I'd hate to waste even if I just give them away as a prize or something.

Dude. A 3-D printer with resin? This is exciting.

Holy Mamma Mia! Your AM are awesome and I love seeing your crafted vehicle upgrades. Those are stellar!

Thanks! To say I'm eager to get started making my ideas real would be a massive understatement. If everything goes smoothly the printer should be arriving next week. I have no idea how tricky it'll be to get it setup and dialed in, but I'm rearranging the studio (and taking the opportunity to do a bit of cleanup - damn do I hate dust) so the space it'll need is ready and I can jump right in as soon as it arrives.

Question: Did you drill the insanely tiny cone "barrel" on the lower portion of the arc rifles? I see you didn't drill the two sort of contact rondels on the upper coil box. This is silly. I have to try to come up with new ways to describe them because I have no idea how those guns work. Mind, this is a good thing.

Nope I didn't drill any kind of barrel in the Arc Rifles, that must be the wash. The way I conceive it they fire an arc of lightning that is emitted by the cone detail, not a projectile.

Those Skitarii are looking ace! I really love the colour scheme, which conveys a sort of clean uneasiness about them, they lack the bombast and brass of Mars, and it makes them feel like they were created for much more sinister means.

Excellent, cold and kinda' sinister is exactly the vibe I'm aiming for. At first, the scheme seemed a bit sparse to me without too many elements to embellish the final look. It's since really grown on me as I think it conveys a feeling of mass production and a minimal utilitarian esthetic.

WAITRESS: We got two honkies out there dressed like Hasidic diamond merchants.
MATT: Say what?
WAITRESS: They look like they're from the CIA or something.
MATT: What'd they want to eat?
WAITRESS: The tall one wants white bread toast with nothing on it.
MATT: (whispers) Elwood....
WAITRESS: And the other one wants three whole fried chickens and a Coke.
MATT: (aloud) ...and Jake! :censored:, the Blues Brothers!

QoqHjkn.png
Damn it, I’ve managed to lose one of the Dragoons ‘toes’. Oh well, I guess I’ll need to use it as an excuse to design a replacement. However, I'll worry about that bridge when I get to it.

+++ Preliminary Production Queue ‧ Status Update +++

+ Void Shield Generator ‧ Initial Paintjob Complete
+ Skitarii Rangers x10 (TA) ‧ Initial Paintjob Complete
+ Skitarii Vanguard x10 (Caliver) ‧ Initial Paintjob Complete
+ Skitarii Vanguard x10 (Arc) ‧ Initial Paintjob Complete
+ Skitarii Vanguard x10 (Arc) ‧ Initial Paintjob Complete
+ Tech-Priest Dominus (E. Ray) ‧ Build & Prime Complete
+ Tech-Priest Enginseer ‧ Build & Prime Complete
+ Sydonian Dragoons x3 ‧ Build Commencing…
+ Cybernetica Datasmith ‧ Pending…
+ Kastelan Robots x2 ‧ Pending…
+ Onager x3 ‧ Pending…
+ Tech-Priest Dominus (Volkite) ‧ Pending…

++++++++

++

+++++

++++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

++

+++++

Information Exchange ∙ Update

++++++++

Display ∙ Data File Excerpt

+++

G9JR2Zu.png

+++ Encryption Protocols ∙ Accepted +++ Logistics Transport Comm-Link ∙ Open +++ Transport Requesting ∙ Safe Approach Telemetry +++ Providing Telemetry Uplink +++

++++++

Primary Cogitator ∙ Upgrade Complete

Primary Cogitator ∙ Initializing…

Primary Cogitator ∙ Online

Primary Cogitator ∙ Resuming Design Creation Subroutines

++++

++++++++++

Secondary Cogitator ∙ Assembly Complete

Secondary Cogitator ∙ Initializing…

Secondary Cogitator ∙ Online

Secondary Cogitator ∙ Awaiting Solus Servitor Data-Link Connection

++

++++++

++++

Updates to Follow ∙ Standby…

+++++++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

++++

++++++

++

So you are about to get a 3D printer/personal manufactorum! Jealously rises!

Also, looking at your clipped bits, did you trade the bluesmobile for this?

Nope, I traded the Bluesmobile for an audio pickup device. These are what I got to replace it. They're Mechanicus! They've got Mechanicus motors, 440-cubic-unit plants. They've got Mechanicus feet, Mechanicus suspension, Mechanicus shocks. They're models produced before catalytic converters so they run good on regular promethium. :wink:

Dragoons! Can't wait to see these in your colors. Probably my favorite model in the Skitarii range (though that depends when you ask me. It's like picking my favorite child).

Yep, it's a hard call between the Dragoons/Ironstriders and the Onager for me. But I think the Dragoon takes it for the dark melding of human and machine on more obvious display in the model. Spider tanks are still awesome, but that :censored: is signature Mechanicus.

"...on local servohauler..."

Oh you!

Nice touch, SD. Cracked me up, lol. :biggrin.:

I try.

+++

++++++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++

++++++++

Information Exchange ∙ Update

++++

++

Display ∙ Data File Excerpt

+++++

iYwnPLp.png

+++Solus Pattern Task Servitor ∙ Primary Calibration Complete +++ Secondary Cogitator ∙ Neural Data-Link… Successful + Motivation Subroutines ∙ Installed +++

++++++++++

Beginning Initial Test Production ∙ Stand by…

+++++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++++++

+++++

++

Ok, I think I’ve got it all setup correctly and reasonably well calibrated. As suggested by the manufacturer I’m starting with the higher resolution (smaller build area) configuration for the initial test prints.

eR2E6dw.png

While I’m sure there is still much to learn about object placement and supports to get the best results possible, the printing software seems reasonably straightforward and intuitive.

I’ve dabbled a bit with a more complex layout pictured here to get used to how the supports are generated and object orientation, but I’ll be starting much simpler when I actually try a print. Despite the build area being small with some care it’ll be possible to fit quite a bit into the space; larger objects will need to be done piece by piece, but that’s fine, I’ll have plenty to occupy my time while Servitor Solus works away.

What I’m really hoping is that the drop in resolution that will provide a larger build area won’t have too much impact on the quality. A 41 micron XY resolution (vs the 25 micron XY of the high res setup) is still very small. Both configurations can print at 10 micron Z (layer) resolution with the resin I’m using, so I’m staying optimistic that the Z resolution will be the key factor.

However, first up, I need to figure out how to crawl, then I’ll worry about walking, let alone running. Let’s see what Servitor Solus can do, shall we?