Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Legion Rising

Black Legion Scratch Building WIP Converting Kit Bashing Resin Casting Styrene Tools 1st of the 9th The Dark Works

• Please log in to reply
1545 replies to this topic

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 829 posts

Yep, I seem to recall a story of 88mm AA crews being forced to level their guns on advancing armour as a last-ditch effort, and quickly discovering that they were extremely effective.

Eyup. Early on in the war, some German AA crews had to quickly defend themselves against tanks, and they found out the 88 was much better at killing tanks than airplanes. Cue Germany proceeding to stick that gun on almost every tank they had laugh.png

There was also record of a British officer writing a letter to his German counterpart saying how it was bad sportsmanship to shoot tanks with an 88' to which the German allegedly replied it was unsportsmanlike to use tanks that could only be killed by an 88'.

on topic lovely work as always those quad guards on the iron striders have me wanting the same thing for sentinel legs.

• Subtle Discord and Ahistorian like this

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,591 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion, Dark Mechanicus

F0w1ku0.png

• RolandTHTG and JeffTibbetts like this

Nostrum nomen est Legio, pro nos es plures. ~ ~ Our name is Legion, for we are many.
mA8H0hu.pngjrkeVZI.png

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 231 posts
  • Faction: Mantis Warriors
Ooh, very nice. I assume those are Kastelan bits?
  • Subtle Discord likes this

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,392 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Mmmmmm. Martian death rays!

Black Legion: The Fire Rises
Emperor's Children: Cult of Golden Tears

Alpha Legion: The Heads of the Hydra Strike

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,514 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

Mmmmmm. Martian death rays!

It looks more like a rotary cannon than a volkite weapon.

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,392 posts

Mmmmm. Martian bullets!

I honestly do not know much about them. All I know is the mechanicum have all the fancy goodies teehee.gif

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,725 posts
  • Faction: Stoneburners
I thought those were all optics/head replacements - everything looks like cameras/sensors to me.
  • Juggernut and Subtle Discord like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,591 posts

++++

+++++++++

++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++++

+++++++

Information Exchange ∙ Update

++++++

XqBSZLF.png

+++ Compiling Data +++ Data Review ∙ Complete +++ Kastelan STC Evaluation ∙ Complete +++ Assessing Data… +++

++++++

+++

Preliminary Assessment ∙ Displaying…

+++++++

++

Optical Input Array ∙ Inferior ∙ Poor field-of-view hinders situational awareness during combat engagements.

+++

Onboard Ammunition Supply ∙ Inadequate ∙ Limited ammunition solution shortens effective ranged combat durations.

++++

Rate of Fire ∙ Average ∙ Improved projectile delivery solutions would significantly improve target saturation.

+

Close Combat Weapons ∙ Uninspired ∙ The Omnissiah demands improved combat weapons worth of this honoured chassis.

++++

+

+++

Iteration Subroutines ∙ Active

++++++

Altering STC ∙ Ongoing…

+++

+++

Improvement recommendations to follow. Standby…

++++++

++

Comm-Link ∙ Active

+++
++++
++++++

++

• DuskRaider, Bryan Blaire, ElDuderino and 2 others like this

Nostrum nomen est Legio, pro nos es plures. ~ ~ Our name is Legion, for we are many.
mA8H0hu.pngjrkeVZI.png

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,826 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Suggestions for the Kastelan war robot: Shoulder-mounted missile launcher, forearms that combine power fists with phosphor blasters (see Marneus Calgar's Gauntlets of Ultramar, which can be used as ranged AND close combat weapons) or chainfists with incendine combustors (use the chainblade to cut open an enemy tank's hull, and the combustor to kill the crew and ignite onboard munitions). Optional: Beast heads (see Sandor "The Hound" Clegane's helmet in 'Game of Thrones') or skull helms to intimidate the enemy, or smiley faces to mock them.
  • Quixus likes this

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,591 posts

Arg! (Really? You’re going to start this with ‘Arg!’) – (Yes, yes I am.) Heh… ok, so I’m having a bit of a hard time formulating how to write this because I suspect that this update is going to be a bit scattered. So I guess I’ll just start at the beginning and go from there. While on a certain level I should be painting (the Dragoons will be getting a coat of primer soon enough) when I can find the time for personal projects, I just haven’t been feeling the groove for that and I’ve only had the itch to build. So I figured as long as it’s in my list I may as well not fight the flow and I turned my attention to the Kastelan robots I’ve been alluding to.

Up front I want to say just how impressed I am with how the Kastelan kits assemble, using small hidden locking pins and tabs to make it easy for those who want to build them as-is; but if you remove the pins and tabs the model becomes adjustable at the ankles, knees, and hips, providing a more ambitious builder the option to change the pose however they’d like. Even the toe caps on the feet have a simple rocking mechanism to provide a little bit of added flexibility to the pose of the feet. Whoever designed this kit had the right idea, that’s for sure.

RCF0LU0.png

When in doubt, mock it up. Sometimes there’s no alternative to just making a few quick tests using some paper and minimal materials.

I never liked the curved magazines on the Phosphor Blasters and always felt that they should be at least larger ammo drums. The way the Kastelan kit assembles, it’s all but begging to have the lower arms totally replaced and I think I’ll be doing that when I get to making alternative Close Combat Weapons. So I considered creating large ammo drums attached to the arms, but then I saw a conversion with a back-mounted ammo pack with a feed leading to the arm and it really seemed appropriate. In order to get the right length and an idea of what kind of curve would be the best starting point, I did some quick-n-dirty mockups with some arcs of paper. I’ve also always been underwhelmed with the barrels, so some bits of styrene tube quickly visualized some obvious barrel swaps that will help complete the updated look.

Not only did the test with paper strips help me with the shape and curve of the ammo feeds, it also illustrated that the ammo feed will really want to swing back-and-forth depending on the position of the arm. Where I would have likely made the ammo belt feed straight out of the ammo box if I didn’t do these tests, this gave me the idea to make the attachment round so it could rotate. Not only will it be functional, I think it adds a good detail that will tie the components into the rest of the model.

Happy with the shapes and forms I was getting after a few tries I figured it would be a good idea to test just how easily I could expect the materials I’ll be working with to bend and twist. No matter how I design these components the ammo feeds are going to need to be bent and shaped to fit the model.

3dum3xL.png

I’m pleased to discover that the resin used by Servitor Solus is thermodynamic (Oooo… a $4 word) so there’s no problem heating it to deform it.

While I’m not sure I’ll be taking advantage of this property all that often in the future, it’s nice to know I have the option to 3D print something flat and heat-form it if that is useful. I also took the time to quickly do a test with the polyurethane resin that I use to cast. Resin has the same properties, letting you heat it, deform it, and when it cools it will hold the new shape, but I’d never actually done this deliberately with this resin so I just wanted to make sure it’ll play nice. I’ll be 3D printing these parts for my own use but when I do them as a kit for the shop in the future I just wanted to make sure there’d be no surprises. To anyone wondering, yes, I will be producing all of the kits I create for my Mechanicus army project to be offered in the shop, but they’ll be happening sometime in the future when I’ve got a few other projects done first.

49CC1MY.png

I wasn’t sure which I preferred, so I did versions for both of the barrel ideas; an over-under ‘two fingers’ pew-pew style, and a tri-barrel rotary spray-n-pray version.

Since neither is too elaborate it wasn’t too hard to do a 3D model for each idea so I can see how each one looks in the end. I’m very tempted to do another version of this idea that completely replaces the lower arms with more elaborate ‘death rays’ with large swags of cables to attach to the power plant, but for now, I think this is a solid upgrade that wasn’t too much work and should blend nicely with the model. I think it’ll go a long way to elevate the badass factor of the Kastelan a notch or two.

I do have plans to do Close Combat Weapons, but they’re going to be more elaborate and I don’t have any melee Kastelan Robots in my list right now, so I’ll return to do those in the future. I think what I want to try to create is three ‘buzz saw’ blades that have a snipping scissor action so they can emulate the original fists a little. A suggestion to incorporate Combustors into the weapons is also something I think I’ll add as well. But, as I said, unfortunately there just isn’t enough time to tackle them right now but expect to see them appear sometime in the future.

Well, that is after I do something about that damn head… “Oh, this won’t do. You’re such an interesting monster. An interesting monster requires an interesting hair doo!” ~ Bugs Bunny

Mtt6m7s.png

I respect how faithful they’ve tried to be in creating the Kastelan model; I’ve seen the original concept sketches so I understand why it looks how it does and why it stands out in the Mechanicus line.

When the Mechanicus line was first released, to me, the Kastelan Robots seemed a bit out-of-place and they didn’t mesh that well with the rest of the models. While their look has grown on me over time I still think they have several design elements that make them unique within the line. If someone thinks this is a good or bad thing is obviously subjective, but my point is that I didn’t think I could do anything that would dramatically change the look of the models, but I could address a few choices that were made to be faithful to the original concept sketch, but which I think detract from the design. In this case, it’s gotta’ be the egg head with the derpy ‘viewport’ that provides no peripheral vision.

The concept on the right was my original plan when I started this, but the version on the left, that’s truer to the original, happened along the way; once I got the armoured shell done it was just too easy to add the smooth screen/glass to create an alternate version. I think both do a good job to provide the model with a unique look while getting rid of that niggling problem of no peripheral vision. Taking a few design cues from the Omnispex I’m quite pleased with how they both turned out and I can’t wait to see how they look on the Kastelan model. As with the components I made for the Dragoon/Strider kit, I won’t know how well they will fit the model until I have a chance to 3D print them; odds are good that they’ll need a bit of adjustment to perfect the fit.

Unfortunately, I haven’t had the time *Subtle’s eye twitches* to get Servitor Solus working on these yet… *Teeth clenched, Subtle’s face contorts horribly and then relaxes* … so these digital previews will have to do for now. Once I find the time *Eye twitch!*, I should have some prints to show in the near… *Looking as if he’s about sneeze, Subtle’s head suddenly explodes! After a moment, his hands begin to blindly collect the pieces raining down and awkwardly attempting to reassemble them on his neck.* ...

GoA8xr9.png

• RolandTHTG, Noserenda, DuskRaider and 3 others like this

mA8H0hu.pngjrkeVZI.png

TURBULENCE

TURBULENCE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 542 posts
Ooooooooh wow. You're not even done and you've totally changed my perspective on the look of the ranged kastelan.

I came for chaos, but stayed for mechanicus. Oh my.

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,591 posts

I promise that Chaos is not forgotten and will return with a vengeance in the future.

*Half of Subtle's head falls apart and scatters over his desk*

Damn it!

*Subtle returns to putting his head back together.*

• Juggernut likes this

mA8H0hu.pngjrkeVZI.png

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,392 posts
Awesome update! Always great to see what your logic banks have to share!

First off I was totally wrong about what you posted awhile back. I thought I saw the kastelan’s head and a shoulder mounted weapon. Did not think it was another head. When these guys came out I thought the armored Robbie the Robot head was kind of a let down. I like you aesthetic as it just looks more appropriate with all the lenses. Personally I always wanted to see something like the multi eyed sentinels from the matrix style heads for these war machines and your hits close!

As for the guns you’ve got me wanting big ammo drums that attach to the rear of a contemptor and a belt feed for its rotor cannon after seeing your solution for the kastelan’s gun. I just love belt feeds as they just have this cool look to them. Probably stemming from how awesome the backpack ammo fed by belt to a mini gun used by Jesse Ventura in Predator was.

TURBULENCE

TURBULENCE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 542 posts
If you could combine both focuses that would be awesome too. I love me some dark mechanicus. All in good time I'm sure. Would not want to rush your process, what you're producing is simply amazing. And if I'm being honest, a cut above the typical aftermarket selection. Good luck reassembling your face!

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,826 posts
The multi-optic head looks great!

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,729 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company

That Kastellan head has a very tri-lobe look to it, with the recurring 3 orbs on it. Sure it's not Nurgle? msn-wink.gif

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Death Guard: A Return to the Past

DuskRaider's Word Bearers Shadow War Kill Team & INQ28 Chaos Coven

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,826 posts

That Kastellan head has a very tri-lobe look to it, with the recurring 3 orbs on it. Sure it's not Nurgle?

Count the number of cameras. If the Kastelan is devoted to a Chaos God, it's either Tzeentch (if you count the device on the lower right of the front face as a single camera, you get nine, which is Tzeentch's holy number), or Malice (if you count the aforementioned device as three cameras, you get eleven, Malice's holy number).

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,729 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
Yes, but each facing has three like the Nurgle trilobe, one of which has a trilobe within it.
Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Death Guard: A Return to the Past

DuskRaider's Word Bearers Shadow War Kill Team & INQ28 Chaos Coven

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Paradogmatic

Paradogmatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 122 posts
  • Faction: ++Redacted//:242++
Request sent to the Forge World for some of those glorious loyalist cupola turrets; looking forward to those and also when missile launchers are available down the road.

Keep up the good work.
//LEGION//GAMMA++OMICRON  -- Transmit

++ 1642nd Explorator Fleet - Yggdrasil // Finished // WIP
---++ //Void Hunters// ( Element 242//Primaris Program ) - Primaris Detatchment  // Finished // WIP

//REDACTED

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 829 posts

i love the look of the tri optic head but i feel that it needs something to the rear to balance it out

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,717 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem

The optic head is certainly an improvement; the cannons and belt feed look cracking too. I echo hushrong's call for similar Contemptor weapons, I'm currently looking for butcher cannons and such a design would work well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Black Legion, Scratch Building, WIP, Converting, Kit Bashing, Resin Casting, Styrene, Tools, 1st of the 9th, The Dark Works

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users