I'd partner up with ya but you're up in Canadia and that's too far. Besides, didn't Abaddon destroy it with a Blackstone Fortress?

The planet said sorry before the guard did

F

I'm not sure I follow, where others seem to understand. So thank you for your input? :)

Oh, I get that overall, but I don't understand the significance of the solitary large bold F. It's like an inside joke that I think I should understand. It's all good, it's not really an issue, just has me a bit puzzled.

Thanks for the feedback. If you like what you see so far, just wait, there's so much more to come.

Ahhh... now that makes sense. I had to seriously cut back on my video game consumption for obvious reasons, otherwise, I would likely have understood the reference. I've played my fair share of CoD in the past. Damn, it's true, sometimes getting old just sneaks up on you and knocks you in the back of the head. Damn kids these days, with their secret meanings for letters... in my day they were only used for creating words! And what's with this noise they call music?! *Wanders off muttering something about the sanctity of a well-kept lawn*

6Dibw39.png

qXULxDG.png

+++ External Vox ∙ "The fault in your motivation impulses is obvious; you have far too much grey matter for your required duties. Unnecessary compulsions for self-preservation can easily be alleviated with the correct procedure." +++

I have a bit of an odd question for you, as you're actually quite close to me in the real world. Do you have any kind of brick and mortar presence? Or a way to buy in person? As I would love to buy so much from you, but if I can save on shipping that would be a strong motivator to do it sooner than later.

Also if you ever expand enough to need employees, I'd love to assist you in any way I can.

Your dedication to your craft is inspiring, and I love the subtle alterations to your magos. and I must echo kraut in that the extended reactor is quite striking

Edited by TURBULENCE

Thanks for the feedback. I was determined to make at least a few Tech-Priest Dominus models using the stock miniature, but they had to be at least a little distinct even if they do share many base elements. I've built the core of my army with Start Collecting boxes, so I'm compelled to make use of more than one of the many Dominus models I have at my disposal. I wish I was a bit more daring and had the guts to really alter the model for something completely unique, but for now, this covers the two models I need for the core Mechanicus force I'm building and later I can consider doing something more ambitious; it's not like I don't have more of these models laying around.

Nope, I operate my studio from under an overpass. Dealing with the wild animal's at night sucks and winters are rough. *Cough* Sorry, horrible joke, I know, but for some reason, I couldn't help it.

I operate out of the basement of my home right now and while I'm quite pleased with the progress I've done (it's functional, after all), it's still not quite at a point that I want customers coming to get things directly. It's definitely a work-in-progress studio and not a retail space by any stretch. However, I really want to change that in the future once the studio is set up in a more practical way that will permit equipment to be stored and space to be created and altered; I want to create some amazing tables in the future and start playing at home again and mesh them with the film/photo set that I want to turn the entire space into especially when it comes time to move the casting out. But that all depends on getting a little more capital flowing so I can get a bunch of boring things like benches, tables, shelves, cabinets, and the like so I can really get the entire space properly presentable. I keep making do with what I have and it's working, but it's nowhere near where I see it in the reasonably near future. If it's any consolation, I charge a flat shipping rate of just $7 for North America and $9 for outside of that, and I don't charge tax because I'm still below the threshold that will force me.

It is all but a guarantee that I'll be expanding out of the basement for at least the casting portion of the studio, and likely more if bigger plans that are lurking in the back of my brain can work out. (Oh yes, I have other ideas) While I'm certain I'll need at least 1-2 other people at some point to simply increase my casting capacity I'm cautiously optimistic that it could turn into more like 5-6 in the end. As I said above, if it's the right person/people I will need people in the future, but you gotta' be a gamer, have the right attitude, the right work ethic, and understand that it's not something that's going to make anyone rich, but aim for a good living for everyone involved. I've got to build up to it, but it is going to happen; I simply can't do everything myself, it's just reality.

All that said, I am trying to get out of my cave studio and start actually throwing dice again at some point in the somewhat near future so sooner-or-later I need to find people to play with. Toss me a PM and we can chat. Toronto is a big city and I'm not downtown, so who knows. I need to keep reminding myself that I'm out of college and can actually permit myself free time to have some form of life and such.

That begs a good question; what would a Dominus keep as an affectionate pet? I've got a Decimator witing in the wings to be a pet brute/bodyguard, but nothing planned as of yet for other automata... hummm... what an interesting tangent to consider for Mechanicus, and naturally other factions too... *Ponders*

Almost right, wasn't fully mechanical, only partially bionic, like land himself. But it was a recreation and not a true animal, he thought their tails would have stingers like a scorpion if I remember correctly. A pets and/or familiars series is something I could really get behind however.

And fair enough, makes me think about how I only allow guests in shortly after cleaning. I'm actually just outside the city myself. But I'll certainly message you once I'm back from vacation, and I'm going to start introducing members of my gaming circle to your work. I should have ages ago.

A pet for a dominus? You say you have a decimator? And there is a plastic dog coming out.

Decimator. Dog. Decimator.. Dog.. Decimator... Dog... Why not both? Maybe this dominus heard of the ancient sovietii bloc factions of ancient earth and their dog-robot experiments!:wink:

In seriousness though, that bit on the lower back of your dominus, where is that from? I am wondering if I can use that on a warpsmith.

If your Dominus is Dark Mechanicum, I'd actually argue his "pet" would be some sort of Warp Spawn.. perhaps with bionic enhancements. What use would a Servant of the Dark Gods have for a creature of mere flesh and blood when they can harness, shape and bend the very energy of the Warp to their ill will?

Even a Magos needs a pet. Now that the Rogue Trader box has rules for dogs perhaps you can craft up a Corgi companion for those of us who aren't Doberman superfans.

If it was just a pet and not some sort of guard animal/cyborg, I'd think that a dog would be too... terrestrial for a magos and it would probably have wings. Or anti-gravity or something. 

Wasn't it Arkan Land who had some mechanical monkey companion in Master of Mankind?

A pet for a dominus? You say you have a decimator? And there is a plastic dog coming out.

Decimator. Dog. Decimator.. Dog.. Decimator... Dog... Why not both? Maybe this dominus heard of the ancient sovietii bloc factions of ancient earth and their dog-robot experiments!:wink:

In seriousness though, that bit on the lower back of your dominus, where is that from? I am wondering if I can use that on a warpsmith.

If your Dominus is Dark Mechanicum, I'd actually argue his "pet" would be some sort of Warp Spawn.. perhaps with bionic enhancements. What use would a Servant of the Dark Gods have for a creature of mere flesh and blood when they can harness, shape and bend the very energy of the Warp to their ill will?

Oh, now you've all basically forced me (in a good way) to give this idea some serious consideration. The more I think about it, there's a whole range of creatures, both based on reality and completely fantastical, that could easily be fleshed out into a really unique line of models. There are so many small studios already doing a lot of infantry stuff, and while I'm not adverse to doing my own in the future, it's unique ideas like this that are done much less, if at all, that I really want to pursue.

Almost right, wasn't fully mechanical, only partially bionic, like land himself. But it was a recreation and not a true animal, he thought their tails would have stingers like a scorpion if I remember correctly. A pets and/or familiars series is something I could really get behind however.

And fair enough, makes me think about how I only allow guests in shortly after cleaning. I'm actually just outside the city myself. But I'll certainly message you once I'm back from vacation, and I'm going to start introducing members of my gaming circle to your work. I should have ages ago.

That's actually a perfect analogy. It's like getting a phone call, "Oh hey mom, what's up? ... A visit? Sure! ... Wait, what? You're on your way now?!" *frantically begins trying to tidy up and do some dishes while cleaning the bathroom* It will change in the future, but there's still much to do before I start worrying about more cosmetic things.

Have you read Lords of Silence yet? Philemon the Tallyman has a "pet" raven which is actually an imprisoned daemon. The way it's described is pretty cool, like a bird with human eyes and it's beak can move like a normal mouth. Again though, this is what a Traitor Legionnaire has and a mystic one at that. But just another idea.

*Completes building a Land Raider for the studio while only losing a small bit of his sanity*

I get it, it's really vintage, but how can a model be so subtly frustrating to assemble? It pretends like it's supposed to fit together, but it only relents if you force it to accept its fate.

You shall relent!

I count it as a small act of penance. For what wrong? Eh, let's not overthink things...

*Completes building a Land Raider for the studio while only losing a small bit of his sanity*

I get it, it's really vintage, but how can a model be so subtly frustrating to assemble? It pretends like it's supposed to fit together, but it only relents if you force it to accept its fate.

You shall relent!

I count it as a small act of penance. For what wrong? Eh, let's not overthink things...

you know that feeling of rage when you are holding a model together as the glue dries and then the whole thing including all the bits that should already be dry fly apart and you get glue everywhere? that. that is the sense of rage that burns in my soul, i would funnel that rage into my righteous fury and like Sigismund stand a bastion of rage against the hordes of "dude chill" and "its only a mini."

• 4 weeks later...

*In a dim basement somewhere in southern Canada a man can be found hugging his computer monitor... just as his wife comes down to ask him something...*

"It's not what it looks like."

Wheee! B&C is back!

qTaEzXX.png

+++ Completion Quotas ∙ On Target +++ Magnetic Coupling Solution ∙ Successful +++ Coupling Assemblies ∙ Complete +++ General Assembly ∙ Ongoing..." +++

One little, two little, three little Onagers! Still unable to find the right mix of time and motivation to get more paint on plastic, I've stayed focused on prep and assembling of the final models that will make up my starting AdMech list. More ramblings n' stuff... soon'ish...

*In a dim basement somewhere in southern Canada a man can be found hugging his computer monitor... just as his wife comes down to ask him something...*

"It's not what it looks like."

Wheee! B&C is back!

qTaEzXX.png

+++ Completion Quotas ∙ On Target +++ Magnetic Coupling Solution ∙ Successful +++ Coupling Assemblies ∙ Complete +++ General Assembly ∙ Ongoing..." +++

One little, two little, three little Onagers! Still unable to find the right mix of time and motivation to get more paint on plastic, I've stayed focused on prep and assembling of the final models that will make up my starting AdMech list. More ramblings n' stuff... soon'ish...

I like the couplings -- look great. I did something similar but with less finess on mine. *makes note to get some plastruct tubes with inner diameters that match magnet sizes*

Grrr! Ok life, enough distractions! *sigh* With a plumbing problem mostly sorted out, for now, it’s time to get back on track; ah, the joys of home mortgage-ship – you don’t own it yet, but you gotta’ keep it all working. Fun fun! *mutters*

With home maintenance, B&C down, a holiday weekend out of the city, work at the college, and other random distractions or delays, I’ve lost my focus a bit. However, I do have my GoFundMe campaign finally set up for those who might be in a position to make an investment in the future of the studio, and I’ve also started posting images over on Pinterest for anyone who is more interested in the visuals of Legion Rising and The Dark Works without all the rambling. Both will be getting regular updates as I get settled back into a proper routine again.

It’s time to get out of this funk I’m finding myself in and start pushing outside of my comfort zones again, both creatively and with regards to exposure. I’ve got to get 3D modelling again and get on with marketing the studio more seriously. The next batch of kits is 90% 3D modelled but they’re going to be larger and consume more materials to produce so I’ve been a bit hesitant; 3D modelling can also be a bit of a trap for me, since I enjoy it so much it’s easy to get enthralled by it and spend too much time on projects that are before their time. Expect to see several new kits sooner rather than later and hopefully, the pace will continue to maintain and increase.

On the flip side, I’m getting ready to start contacting some hubs of the hobby in an effort to introduce myself and The Dark Works to a larger audience, with the plan being to tie it in with my next round of kits and models. Any help to spread the word, offer suggestions, input, or feedback would be most welcome. It’s one thing to post W.I.P. articles in smaller corners of the internet but now I’ve got to kick myself in the pants to get out and take this to the next level. I’m eagerly dreading this on some level, but I’ll get over it… I think. Not much choice, really.

Being an oh so tempting distraction that I’m better off without, for now, I’m going to put my personal projects on the back burner for the next while. Coming into the final stretch with building, the glimmer of a distant light at the end of the tunnel is starting to become visible. I’ll get back to rationing more time to my personal projects in a while, but for now here’s a little more progress on the Onager Spearhead Detachment for the list.

8907fNi.png

Holy tons of fiddly bits Batman! Cables, and ladders, and guardrails, oh my! Looks like we’ll need to build our way out!

Finally getting close to completing them, and yep, the Onager is a great model, but there’s a reason why the Mechanicus line looks so great, and it’s all the flippin’ bits-and-pieces that need to be dealt with! The bulk of the build is done, but there are still so many damn bits to actually get it properly finished I’m kinda’ glad I’m giving it a break for a bit.

One small tweak to the build so far that I’m particularly pleased with is adding the additional Heavy Stubber under the hull in the provided groove. It’ll need a bit of scratch building to connect it in a more complete way, but it’s all mostly hidden from sight so it’ll be a simple enough job. I’m also going to replace the reactor on the back, the convex detail on the weapons, and the armour plates on the legs with custom 3D printed bits similar to the Dragoons, but that’s another article for another day.

With the Kastelan ‘Bots cleaned up and ready for assembly these are the last of the models required for the first 1,850 center to the collection. Once these are done the final stretch really is to get paint on the second half(ish) of the army. I’ve got some close combat units waiting their turn and already have an urge to get back to the Knight/s to add some additional flexibility to the list, but I’m really looking forward to getting this main block done.

MQGP6fS.png

I managed to damage the rear hull plate on one of the Onagers and figured I’d roll with it and add some more superficial damage to the model.

I have a rule that when I drop something, I don’t roll my chair as I try to find the bit I just dropped. Odds are slim, but soon-or-later you will roll over the component you just dropped as it lands in a blind spot behind the wheel of the chair. Sure enough, I was lax and managed to do just that, flattening half of the rivets and imprinting the cement floor texture into the part. The rivets I can replace, but it looks like this one is going to be an experiment; I had planned on adding some dings, dents, and scratches to the feet of all of the Onagers but since this happened I figured I’d rough this one up some more to see how it turns out.

I’m of two minds about it at this point. I’m worried that I’ve overdone it and I’m not going to like it once it’s painted. Or, that I’m going to like it too much when it’s finished and want to do more with the same treatment. In an attempt to get somewhat authentic looking minor dents and scratches I was very careful how I applied the damage. It’s a bit of a time-consuming process so I want to see if I can make it work before I subject other models to the process.

684upYp.png

I knew I wanted custom decals for this project, but I wasn’t looking forward to doing all the layout, thanks to my hobby-OCD.

I can’t really completely finish the models until this step is done, so I had to get it over with soon-or-later. The small is 4x4mm for infantry, the medium is 6x6mm for light vehicles/’bots, and the large is 8x8mm for larger vehicles/’bots. I’m also working on a second sheet with the complete Atrum Laboris icon including the cog and text in various sizes and iterations for general use, but I’ve only just started work on that sheet. A somewhat tedious but necessary final step that will soon be done.

More updates coming from the studio soon, as I administer the rights of activation to Servitor Solus and get back to making the next round of new kits. Time to get over the anxiety and get things really going. I’ve got the skills, tools, and ideas, what the heck am I waiting for? Stay tuned…