Praise be to Servitor Solus! Truly, the will of the Omnissiah given physical form. I perform my rights of mechanical maintenance and incantations to Solus' machine spirit dutifully in every effort avert any temperamental behavior and encourage continued reliable operation well into the future.

Thanks! For the most part I'm quite pleased with how how these Kastelan bits are turning out despite a few technical issues; I have a larger update coming soon but I figured a quick teaser image wouldn't go amiss. While I respect that the Kastelan robot kit is directly based off of the original concept art, which I admire, I think the changes take it from "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!" *flailing arms* to something more like "Protector Protocol... Activated!". *relentless hail of phosphor shells spews forth*

Chris: Meg, guess the word that I'm thinking, and it's not 'kitty'.

Meg: Is it 'kitty'?

Chris: Get OUT of my HEAD!

I love the Kastellan head, but let me suggest a gun alternative that replaces the barrel-shaped forearms all the way up to the elbow, as well.  Similar to how the Contemptor gun arms look.  I think that would help change the goofy, 70s sci fi look of the models even more.

The barrels were meant to be a quick and simple solution because I want to try and keep the Mechanicus bits reasonably small to save on costs. The Dragoon is the worst offender but the kits are steep and I don't want to add too much to that total if I can help it. But with that said, the way the Kastellan assembles is all but begging to have the entire lower arm replaced because it would be so simple to do, and while I'm reasonably happy with how this solution improves the model I'd like to be able to build the barrels further back into the arm instead of tacking them on the end. It would give me a chance to slim them down a bit but I don't think I could do them quite like a Contemptor which mounts the weapons perpendicular to the upper arm opposed to the straight-line arm of the Kastellan. All of the major 3D modelling work is in the head so far anyhow, so it's not too hard to justify exploring the idea and it would give me the right base components to do some close combat weapons in the future. Stay tuned...

I love how on the 'door-side' of the exhaust covers there's inlets for the bolts that attach the armour plate to the tank. Beautiful work. I'm going to have to brace and pay a ton of CAD shipping and EU import, but these will be mine. Oh yes. They will be.

For the most part I'm quite pleased with how how these Kastelan bits are turning out despite a few technical issues; I have a larger update coming soon but I figured a quick teaser image wouldn't go amiss. While I respect that the Kastelan robot kit is directly based off of the original concept art, which I admire, I think the changes take it from "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!" *flailing arms* to something more like "Protector Protocol... Activated!". *relentless hail of phosphor shells spews forth*

I like the mods to the Kastelan, but I have to agree that something that takes away the drum style arms and do a mount more directly to the "just below the elbow discs" would look more boss. Perhaps just thinner drums with ammo feeds external?

Regarding the current style weapon mount, perhaps if you rigged it more to fit with the tapered ring gone, mounting the barrels closer to the ejection port and (goofy) sickle clip, it would take away from the extra length and give a bit better reason for the barrel shrouds to be there?

Overall I love the style of gun though, and it ties in better to the shoulder mounted weapon that way.

I like the new head, but I almost feel like it's too busy with the multiple side raised sensors/optics - perhaps if there were some other sensor types that weren't raised on the side instead of protrusions, it would be less busy? Auditory sensors could be modeled as clusters of holes or a grid/mesh, ultrasonic sensors could simply be a slightly raised cluster of say 3-4 studs (more like service studs), infrared sensors could simply be "bubbles" without the raised housing. I think you were going for a wider range of detection mechanisms in the periphery so that it didn't appear that the robot would need to move its chrome-dome as much to absorb a wider range of information, I just think the number of protrusions is too much.

Edit: Honestly though, ignore me - it'd be easy enough to either file down or just paint the additional side clusters as things other than optics, so they are likely fine and I'd be looking to get some of the kit anyway! They are much better than the stock pieces.

• 4 weeks later...

An update from the studio should follow shortly, but right now it’s mostly about casting up what’s ready to get things stocked up so I can concentrate on the next round. I’ll show some more of the new kits and how they’re turning out and hopefully by then I’ll have a new 3D model or two to go along with the update.

For now, several months of no painting finally made me snap over the holidays as CA 2018 finally pushed me over the edge. I didn’t even pick it up but my digital codex got updated with the new points and I had already planned on changing my current list from 1,850 to 2,000 so the more points the better! Since I’ve I’ve been collecting AdMech for several years building up to this project I’ve got some more units waiting in the wings and now a few of them can get pushed on to the main stage. Always a glutton for punishment, I’ve added another 20 bodies to the list with another unit of Vanguard with three Plasma Calivers and a unit of Infiltrators with Taser Goads and Flechette Blasters; I’ve got an idea… let's paint a Dominus, an Enginseer, the Vanguard, the Infiltrators, and a unit of Dragoons all at the same time! What a great idea! *Subtle’s nose begins to bleed profusely*

t8HzdEv.png

Hey look! It’s a Dominus (and his subsequent parts)… on a stick. I wonder what flavour he is? Silly question, naturally he’s Dominus flavor.

Errr… so yeah, I’ve got the preliminary colours and cleanup done and I’m just getting started on working up the highlights. Since they’re singular models I decided to focus on the Dominus and Enginseer first but I haven’t gotten as far with Mr. tall, dark, and hunched bio-mechanical monstrosity here. Eager to see a proper HQ finished to put out at the front of the current army progress, I can’t wait to get back to work on him this weekend.

sXcpxmj.png

VjwAwxC.png

If I’m going to add 20 more bodies to the list I’m committed to getting them up to speed quickly so I can get my attention back to the big stompy stuff.

Mostly blocked in and cleaned up both of these squads are going to be getting their wash treatment very soon. Beyond the fact that they’re actually assembled and to this point this quickly (which for me is actually saying something) there’s not much to see here yet. Expect to see these squads get finished up before I move back to the bigger models. *Eyes the Onagers* Soon…

uIVLEHA.png

One of my favourite models in GW’s entire line, the act of building and painting a Dragoon/Ironstrider really does try to make you hate it.

If you thought it was fiddly to build, just wait, it’s just as fiddly to paint! And despite it all, I want to build like… nine more! Such an awesome model. Still far from finished, they’ve at least got a good start, and it’s only three of them, how hard can it be, really? *Eye twitch*

aHsKjha.png

Here’s a close-up shot of some of the custom 3D printed components that I did for these Dragoons, for anyone who might be interested.

One layer of primer and one layer of Vallejo Magic Blue is all that’s on the parts in the above image. The large flat areas were sanded with a 600 grit soft sanding stick but none of the trim or lettering was sanded because it was just too hard to even try. Since they’re only 20 microns thick/tall any layering or stepping from the printing process that might be noticeable before paint all but vanish once it’s on. Simply marvellous. Solus, if you weren’t an electrified appliance filled with toxic chemicals I think I’d kiss you; but since that is the case… fist bump? *Nods* Fist bump.

J1pc642.png

QzsIZ3q.png

To close some image of the over-the-top Enginseer who’s just about done his preliminary paint job. Mmmm… loving… the… blue.

I still need to do a few more highlights here-and-there and a bit of cleanup in a few spots but for the most part, this little kit-bash can be called done for now. As with the rest at this point, there is still decals and weathering in the future but I want to do those as a cohesive process on most of the starting army at once. He was intended to be used for another purpose, and then 8th happened, so he’s a bit over equipped now that he’s back to being a lowly Enginseer again. He’s a 30 point pushover, but he’s a badass looking 30 point pushover. :smile.:

Ok, as always, thanks for looking, reading, and liking. Input, feedback, inquiries, and general hobby related ramblings are always welcome. Any overlooked comments warranting a reply will get one with my next update.

Seeing those leg plates with paint on them fills me with all kinds of feels. They look so, so good. I mean seriously, the best 3D-printed parts I've seen apart from GW masters bar none. The fact you're achieving these results ON YOUR OWN, IN YOUR OWN SHOP is beyond incredible. 

On a personal level, I'm also just enjoying seeing your personal projects get some attention. They're looking great! 

I love your painting and and seeing your creative processes, it's excellent to see the workings to be able to learn more!

A question though, I like the look of your batch painting process.  Can you tell me what to Google to find out where to buy the dowel and that plastic stand that you've inserted the bases into? Or did you just make them yourself?  Also, do you just glue the dowel to the model or attach it in a different way?

Thanks all for the general feedback and encouragement. The holidays at the end of the year is always a mixed blessing for me that tends to derail my focus. After a brief hobby sabbatical, I'm back on track for the next round of kits. Stay tuned.

This blog is a joy to follow. You have a great eye aesthetics wise when designing these kits, not just simply compatible in measurement.

Thank you! It really is what I'm going for with my designs. Yes, I want the fit and finish to be top notch but I'm also really trying to make kits that emulate the 'design language' that GW has built up over the decades. There is a distinct style to the Warhammer universe that they've created and if you use the same elements the right way it's possible to create things that blend and fit right in.

I need them in my hands and on my models by May.  What do you reckon the odds are?

Dragonlover

Everything previewed earlier is cast up and in stock right now, with exception of the Predator bits and the Loyalist versions which will arrive over the next few weeks. The Predator bits for the sponsons hit with a clearance snag once I was finally able to get an unmodified Predator kit in the shop to test such things. I need to alter the design a bit which will actually make the parts a bit easier to cast, so while it's delayed the kit some it comes with some benefits. There will be an update on this in the near future.

I love how on the 'door-side' of the exhaust covers there's inlets for the bolts that attach the armour plate to the tank. Beautiful work. I'm going to have to brace and pay a ton of CAD shipping and EU import, but these will be mine. Oh yes. They will be.

You can thank the Mechanicus line that I've been working with lately. I like the recessed bolts/rivets that are in some of the models and it seemed like a good spot to add that kind of detail. I wanted the armour plates to really look like they're properly bolted on to the Rhino and adding them on the angled surface just wasn't doing it for me.

For the most part I'm quite pleased with how how these Kastelan bits are turning out despite a few technical issues; I have a larger update coming soon but I figured a quick teaser image wouldn't go amiss. While I respect that the Kastelan robot kit is directly based off of the original concept art, which I admire, I think the changes take it from "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!" *flailing arms* to something more like "Protector Protocol... Activated!". *relentless hail of phosphor shells spews forth*

I like the mods to the Kastelan, but I have to agree that something that takes away the drum style arms and do a mount more directly to the "just below the elbow discs" would look more boss. Perhaps just thinner drums with ammo feeds external?

Regarding the current style weapon mount, perhaps if you rigged it more to fit with the tapered ring gone, mounting the barrels closer to the ejection port and (goofy) sickle clip, it would take away from the extra length and give a bit better reason for the barrel shrouds to be there?

Overall I love the style of gun though, and it ties in better to the shoulder mounted weapon that way.

I like the new head, but I almost feel like it's too busy with the multiple side raised sensors/optics - perhaps if there were some other sensor types that weren't raised on the side instead of protrusions, it would be less busy? Auditory sensors could be modeled as clusters of holes or a grid/mesh, ultrasonic sensors could simply be a slightly raised cluster of say 3-4 studs (more like service studs), infrared sensors could simply be "bubbles" without the raised housing. I think you were going for a wider range of detection mechanisms in the periphery so that it didn't appear that the robot would need to move its chrome-dome as much to absorb a wider range of information, I just think the number of protrusions is too much.

Edit: Honestly though, ignore me - it'd be easy enough to either file down or just paint the additional side clusters as things other than optics, so they are likely fine and I'd be looking to get some of the kit anyway! They are much better than the stock pieces.

Yeah, if I'm getting the right impression of your idea, that's what I thinking I want to do but I don't want to force the builder to cut down the arm and it's so fat that I don't want to wrap around the end either. With the way the model assembles it really is straightforward to just replace the entire lower arm and that'll let me have complete control over the length and I can slim it down some. I'll also be able to adjust the ammo feed inlet to suit the entire idea better and/or just strap a pair of huge ammo drum on the arms and ditch the feeds; but I want to try to make the feeds work before I consider that compromise.

And yes! The new barrels are modelled directly off of the shoulder mounted Phosphor Blaster so they tie in better. The ammo drums on the back are also done to match the shoulder mounted one. Cohesive design elements, it's a good thing.

As always, me likey feedback! *Nom nom nom* But in this case, at least for the ones I do for my own models, the peripheral sensors are going to stay, but I do think they need to be tweaked a bit more. Instead of extruding them directly out I'm thinking I'll try to recess them a little so they don't stick out so far. I really do want to give it a sense that it has a wide field of view, being able to asses and engage multiple targets at once and very hard to blindside. GW's going to give them a derpy little window to see the world through? Nah! I'll fix that right up. All the bits I'm designing for the Kaselan robots are still in flux so stay tuned to see how they evolve; the head is almost there and I think I've got a solid idea for the arms but just need to find time to sit down and turn the idea into a 3D model.

You tease

Yes.

Damn, man, I'd fist bump your Solus too. That's absolutely incredible.

To be honest, I had my doubts before Solus arrived that it would be up to the tasks I had planned for it, but it keeps blowing me away with results better than the best I was reasonably expecting. There are limitations and lots of considerations that are needed to print in the right orientation to avoid problems, but there's just no arguing with the results. I can't want to get more of my reboot done and on to completely new designs. That's what the Mechanicus bits are really, just me chomping at the bit to start doing something more exotic. Which reminds me, I think I need to get some studio Armigers in the near future. Those, combined with the Mechanicus bits might just be a good place to start a new line which can then expand into Knights proper.

Passing thought: you should find a way to promote your GoFundMe page a bit more. Perhaps a link in your signature? Or perhaps you don't want to promote too much at present and keep a steady pace of donations/investments?

A link to the GoFundMe is in the signature to the left, and to the right is a link to the shop. I was worried it might be a bit too vague so I might need to change that. Thanks for the input.

When I set up the funding drive the studio was running really tight but then I got some reliable parttime work that's helping keep the pressure down considerably. I was going to promote it more but while the pressure is off until spring I'm aiming to get a few more rounds of kits done and on the shelves. Once my selection is a bit larger I'll start trying to draw more attention to my studio. Even with virtually no active marketing outside of posting on a few boards, the momentum is actually building slowly but steadily. If it picks up quick, that's good, but if it's more of a slow burn that's fine too. It's only a matter of time, I can feel it. When the time is right if I need to I'll apply some more effort I will, but for a few more months I have the key materials and equipment I need, I just have to get more new kits on the shelves. Once I get to that point I'll really start needing more equipment to improve the production process and that's likely while I start needing even more finances.

Seeing those leg plates with paint on them fills me with all kinds of feels. They look so, so good. I mean seriously, the best 3D-printed parts I've seen apart from GW masters bar none. The fact you're achieving these results ON YOUR OWN, IN YOUR OWN SHOP is beyond incredible. 

On a personal level, I'm also just enjoying seeing your personal projects get some attention. They're looking great!

Not to be a braggart, but since you brought it up, from what I've seen of some of FW's recent 3D printed kits, I think Solus produces superior results. I don't think the difference is that significant and I'm sure the printer that FW has at their disposal can make much larger components in a single go, but I've seen some stepping and the like on some of their kits that I'm discovering that Solus should actually be able to do better. I doubt I'll ever compete on scale, but at least I know I'm up to the task of competing on quality. It was really nerve-wracking doing the research and holding my breath as I learned how to use Solus and hope for the desired results, but now that I can see what I can do, I'm frothing at the mouth in anticipation of what I can make real in the future.

Thanks! Must... finish... army... soon! Seriously, I wanted a painted fieldable army so many years ago, I just want to get this project done and get out throwing some dice and exploring my local scene. But, I'm also really enjoying building and painting of this army, so it's not the worst to have to endure.

I love your painting and and seeing your creative processes, it's excellent to see the workings to be able to learn more!

A question though, I like the look of your batch painting process.  Can you tell me what to Google to find out where to buy the dowel and that plastic stand that you've inserted the bases into? Or did you just make them yourself?  Also, do you just glue the dowel to the model or attach it in a different way?

I'm happy I can provide some insight into the process. I've always been someone who is curious what goes into making things and I figured I can't be the only one, especially in this hobby.

The plastic stands are just cheap paint brush holders that I got from... I can't even remember. Do a search for 'plastic paintbrush holder' and you can find all manner of them in different shapes and colours. I also magnetize my bases for (eventual) transportation so I've got two sets of dowels with small squares of metal attached to the end so the base sticks For the rest, you're absolutely correct that the other stands and handles are all homemade; lengths of wood with some evenly spaced holed drilled in them and dowels cut to length to fit in them. In this case, I've used some nice scrap maple I had but it doesn't need to be anything fancy. I seal the porous ends of the dowels with a few layers of crazy glue so they're reasonably glossy and smooth. Then a little piece of fresh poster-tack (blue-tac) is just enough to hold the heads and arms in place as long as you don't bump and/or knock them too much and they also do the added bonus of masking the spot where glue will be applied during assembly. Every now-and-then a large or awkward object will slowly sag and fall off, but it's not hard to put them back on and most bits are light enough to just stay put. You're not the first person who's shown interest in when I got these stands, it's making me seriously consider if I should make a product of them.

Building in sub-assemblies like this when it's possible really does help with the painting process, letting you hold the model and paint at all sorts of odd angles to speed the process up while also help you stay neat and make fewer mistakes. Use a bit of extra thin adhesive with some care during the final assembly to keep things clean with no damage to the paint that can be easily tidied up if it even needs it.

Ah, I hadn't seen those images in your signature. I use the white/blue forum skin so they're invisible to me (and anyone else who also doesn't use the dark grey/red skin). Perhaps you could give the lettres and symbols a black outline so that they're visible to all users?

And that's fine, as long as you're happy with how it's going keep doing what you're doing. Glad to hear you got some decent temp work, too. :tu: