bF7Em1R.png

b0EfEGW.png

∙ Within the vast armouries of the Warmaster the endless mundane wargear of the Legions must also be maintained with cut, grind, blow, weld, rivet, bolt, and screw; the Warsmith directs the primitive energies of fire, force, friction, and motive force, to the sacred task of administering the many rites of maintenance, placation, and repair in service to the Warmaster’s grand arsenal. One of many small-but-crucial cogs in the great war engine that is the Legion.

I have yet to build any of the other models in the Chaos Marine kit and some Havocs and Terminators just arrived today, so I’m still just taking stock of the kits. That said, I couldn’t help myself, and I dabbled away a little and came up with this personal take on a Warpsmith. I’ve never been a big fan of the ‘cloak of cables’ look that GW has been giving the Warpsmith models so I’m taking cues from the new Lord Discordant who as a better concept of what I’d prefer a Warpsmith to look like. I do still want to add a few more dangling cables and maybe another Mechatendril but nothing as over-the-top as the GW model/s.

So far, the level of detail in the new kits is simply amazing, as per GW’s track record the last several years. I’m going to hold off final judgement until I see just how everything assembles and how much room there is for creativity within the kits and throughout the rest of the release and between the larger line. So far I think the base models are really nice and despite any gripes about bits selection or design choices I think they look very promising. I’m looking forward to dabbling with them more, but I’m trying to force myself to keep it to a slow burn lest I get overwhelmed by too much temptation too quickly. I’ve walked the long road for quite some time now,  I know not to rush things… but it can be sooo temping when the lure is this sweet. Truly, I am lost to the whims of Chaos…

Edited by Subtle Discord

bF7Em1R.png
b0EfEGW.png
∙ Within the vast armouries of the Warmaster the endless mundane wargear of the Legions must also be maintained with cut, grind, blow, weld, rivet, bolt, and screw; the Warsmith directs the primitive energies of fire, force, friction, and motive force, to the sacred task of administering the many rites of maintenance, placation, and repair in service to the Warmaster’s grand arsenal. One of many small-but-crucial cogs in the great war engine that is the Legion.

I have yet to build any of the other models in the Chaos Marine kit and some Havocs and Terminators just arrived today, so I’m still just taking stock of the kits. That said, I couldn’t help myself, and I dabbled away a little and came up with this personal take on a Warpsmith. I’ve never been a big fan of the ‘cloak of cables’ look that GW has been giving the Warpsmith models so I’m taking cues from the new Lord Discordant who as a better concept of what I’d prefer a Warpsmith to look like. I do still want to add a few more dangling cables and maybe another Mechatendril but nothing as over-the-top as the GW model/s.

So far, the level of detail in the new kits is simply amazing, as per GW’s track record the last several years. I’m going to hold off final judgement until I see just how everything assembles and how much room there is for creativity within the kits and throughout the rest of the release and between the larger line. So far I think the base models are really nice and despite any gripes about bits selection or design choices I think they look very promising. I’m looking forward to dabbling with them more, but I’m trying to force myself to keep it to a slow burn lest I get overwhelmed by too much temptation too quickly. I’ve walked the long road for quite some time now,  I know not to rush things… but it can be sooo temping when the lure is this sweet. Truly, I am lost to the whims of Chaos…

looks less mutated than most chaos marines, and thats a good thing

As per Iron Warrior tradition, the offending overt mutation was removed and replaced. Other gifts could not be so directly dealt with. I would advise that you don't ask him to remove his helmet. He was driven from the Warriors into the embrace of the Black and Gold for... reasons.

Not too sure how I feel about the Kataphron Power Claw, seems a bit big. I saw GW did that on the Kit Bash post they did... for the life of me though, I can't think of a better option off the top of my head.

Yeah, that's why I trimmed the claw down, removing a section plus the cables. Yes, it is a bit unwieldy and I kinda' like it like that, it gives a bit of a vibe of making due with what can be scrounged up and/or not passing up on a good piece of kit even if it's not a perfect solution. Get used to the Mechanicus influences, I've got ton of bits and I suspect they'll be coming in handy. That, and I really do have designs on making a Black Legion force that's being closely supported by Dark Mech elements so it's all sorta' part of some only semi-understood plan.

You should know by now that I love Dark Mechanicum influence, lol. You are tempting me to make a Warpsmith though, especially since I found a FW Mk. III Techmarine Power Cell in my bits box from way back when I made a Praevian.

*Subtle loads an elaborate looking device with a single stone and takes aim at two birds*

I’ll see your request for an up-to-date Meltagun, and raise you and overall armour upgrade! Oh, and look at that, the larger stature of the Havoc model better suits the bulk of the Servitor arm. Yeah, that works.

8Yshu05.png
4kELPXO.png
∙ I started the first Warsmith before the new Havocs were in my grubby hands. Once I saw the models an upgrade was in order.

He is a 4W H.Q. Character after all so the larger starting model simply suites him better. I still used a 32mm base to keep him in line with other Power Armour H.Q. models; to me the 40mm bases of the Havocs just seems like an excuse for the new models to go back somewhat to their old lunging poses that are less desirable in my opinion. Since I’m changing the direction of pose I needed to add a small shim of plastic to the foot to alter the tilt of the model. It has a bit of a lean/hunch to compliment the intended bits and it needed to change in order to get the new Meltagun arm to cooperate better with the model. Speaking of the Meltagun arm…

… I am not a fan of the… unique… solution that GW chose for the wrist connections. The little key tabs, while a little useful in some of the by-the-book assemblies, really seem like an unnecessary complexity that will need to be dealt with all the time during the very common kit-bash of swapping weapons between arms. It’s the K.I.S.S. principle of design; Keep It Simple, Stupid. Beyond this minor quibble and a few other small things (oh look, GW’s up to the bits selection shenanigans, again) there’s a lot to like about the new Chaos kits and it’s going to be fun to see just what concoctions can be mixed up.

I like the details in some of the other Havoc models a bit more for a Warsmith build but this one has the pose that best suited the outstretched ‘one-handed Meltagun shot’ bash I had come up with initially and I wanted to keep that. I guess this just means that I need to make another Warsmith (or two) using one of my preferred models. Being the lowest cost Chaos H.Q., I don’t see this as a problem. The entire kit is gorgeous and the extra bulk of the models does a good job of conveying a larger-than-average Character model that would have more Wounds than a rank-and-file Troop. Why not find an excuse (or many) to use the models outside of Havoc squads?

SFj3klF.png
∙ I’ve still got freedom in the left arm and I’m having a hard time picking the stance I want the weapon in. I like them both for different reasons.

It’s a little thing, but it’s always this point where a bash is reaching the final tweaks that can be the most trying and somehow the most rewarding. I like the more casual pose that’s more static and has a, ‘*Sigh* Now I’m going to shoot you’ feel to it, but with the weapon in a more ready posture it give a ‘First, I’m going to shoot your with this, then…” I’m in the same boat with the head, which I switched to being bare with the small horn; I like it, but I’m worried it’s looking a bit small/sunken in the armour – maybe a thin shim to raise it a tiny bit? But a full helmet deals with it much more readily. Ah well, a few more tweaks and perhaps another gubbins or two and this little diversion will be ready for some primer.

sdLiHXi.png
∙ As another little nibble at the Chaos cookie I’ve assembled the first ten Marines for the new-and-improved Warband. Mmm… new Chaos… *Nibble*

I still wish the wastes were ‘ball joints’ or at least if the torsos could be swapped without it being a major chore, even if there was limited flexibility in the range-of-motion. But with ten wonderful unique models to use as a base bashing and converting up lots of variety in a collection won’t be that hard. I know I’m not the only one who was drawn to Chaos for the opportunity to kit-bash and convert models so I’m not intimidated and more encouraged by the quality of the ever expanding selection of bits-and-pieces to choose from to create with going forward.

Damn, this gunna’ geet guuuud! Keep the comm-link active.

The change of armor did wonders, he looks like a character now more than a marine with some techy stuff stuck on. The base model is superb as is, my first thought when I saw the havocs was that the champ would make a decent lord. Should be decently cheap on Ebay I guess, there will be boatloads left over from chain cannon orders.

As for conversions, it's not that hard to replace the torsos, I recommend leaving the abdomen and replacing the chest plate, that almost a ball joint right there. Some major cutting required of course.

Thanks all for the positive feedback. Yup, I'm very pleased with how he's turning out. I think the original Marine is still a great alternative for a Champion of a Marine squad but the stature of the Havoc is just a objectively better match to the stats of a Warpsmith. It was hard to tell just how much larger the Havocs are in the images but once you've got them in-hand you can really see how much bulkier they really are. Simply perfect for bashing and conversion fodder to make things like this War(p)smith and others like Champions and the like. They're designed perfectly to accept the bulkier Havoc backpacks while still being compatible with normal packs like the one I used here; and there's enough backpack bits to build the full squad and still have all the bits you need to add the extra Heavy Weapons to other models. It's clever thoughtful design thinking like that which helps to make up for any of the other shortcomings that there might be.

Yeah, some of the Marines are broken down in such a way that it won't be too bad to convert them, but as I look at the kit I'm left wondering why they didn't simply split them for us? Or at the very least made the front armour plates completely compatible between the models that could accommodate it; it's almost already done in the model in some cases, just do it! And I'm still a little sour about the 'loincloth details for all' design choice, but oh well, small nit-picks over an otherwise stellar kit. I recall someone else saying, and it's true, this is the first time in a looong time that I want to assemble some Chaos miniatures and not do any/much converting to them, for now. The first ten will likely be pretty stock, because why not, and then I'll start seeing how I can be creative with the kits and the new bits that will have started to accumulate by then. Damn, I love this faction!

Stellar work on the Warpsmith, I echo the thoughts on how much meaner and badass the havoc looks - and the initial one you did wasn't half bad either.

I've been playing around with the new Shadowspear and multipart CSM kits and was eagerly awaiting some of your creations! I've gone Night Lords because I was just planning to do a Kill Team....

I agree wholeheartedly about your comments re the building - some of the 'half chest plates' should be interchangeable but they aren't! I've been trying to limit excessive Chaos symbols so have mixed up bits that don't go together, luckily it's only a case of trimming or shaving parts but it really shouldn't have to be!! It's annoying because I'm building models on a whim and I'm feeling i might struggle to build the last 2 due to parts not fitting

• 2 weeks later...
Mallory: “Krieger!”

Krieger: “Jazz hands!!”

Mallory: “I should have never taken him to see The Wiz.”

Lana: “The Broadway show or the movie?”

giphy.gif

Mallory: *Sighs* “Both.”

mHWD1iU.png

∙ Jazz hands indeed. After two attempts and a bunch of tweaking, I think I’m finally happy with these Marine hands.

A tiny component that is critical to any handheld bits that I want to produce going forward I avoided doing a set of hands because I knew they would be fiddly. Given the scale, I guess I could have done them cruder to save time and at first, I was going to ignore the detail on the inside since they’ll be used mostly for gripping objects, but then I figured it would be more futureproof if I did it right the first time.

zYg17pT.png

∙ Fully articulated and detailed, now the studio has a Marine hand 3D model that can do a lot of lifting in all manner of future kits. (Pun intended)

WleBOkp.png

∙ These are the two main poses I need right now but I have complete freedom to use them however I need in the future.

The curved palm with the corrugated texture was particularly tricky to get right and was one of the main details that took a few tries to get to a point I was happy with. But I’m glad I stuck to it because now I can use these freely in the future to do any kind of open hand bits that might suit my needs. Now I need to get to work and create some wargear to actually put in the hand. First up, Combi-weapons and Chain Axes… and perhaps something of a daemonic persuasion, or several.

qScYQmY.png

∙ A bunch of one-armed Champions in my Marine squads can attest to my need for Combi-weapons, that’s for sure.

Oh yeah, and I can’t forget the Reaper Chaincannons. Now that I’ve got some squads done and played ‘which marine best fits the heavy weapon bit?’ (hint: some marines are a much better fit than others) I’ve got a few Heavy Bolters ready for an upgrade. I figured since the Heavy Bolter feeds a single line of larger shells into the weapon I’ll do the barrel bits as a larger caliber tri-barreled solution so it better suits the weapon while also providing a unique look. It will be a very simple bit to create so I expect to make a few different versions and I’m tempted to use it as an opportunity to create a few dangling details and/or swags of chain that I can make modular so they can be used in other models for details.

Still juggling a lot so studio progress is still sluggish but as I build a library of key modular bits like this humble hand another entry is ticked off of a long list of assets that will make future projects easier. Now I can make a wide range of bits and never need worry about dealing with the hand. Small steps leading up to something much bigger. Beyond continuing to expand my current line of smaller bits and kits I’m considering what my next larger project will be, so don’t be surprised if something unexpected comes out of The Dark.

Thanks. Right now I'm just happy to have hands I can use in my own builds, but it's food for thought. I'd like to figure out what resin product they're using either-which-way since having the option to bend some components is a really useful feature. Normal resin can do it pretty well but I'm sure purpose made materials are much easier to work with.