vtdQJCS.png

∙ Ok, I knew I was going to adjust them, and then you when and did that and really forced me to try again Second verse, same as the first!

I never take feedback or input as harsh or in any kind of mean spirit. I can take a critique. It’s really the only way you know if something is passing muster. As I’ve said before iteration is usually part of the process so I don’t mind some perspective to help point me in the right direction. The ‘heroic scale’ of GW hands combined with the fact that they armoured really makes them stumpy and I needed to make them less realistic to get the proportions 'right'. Which are actually kinda' wrong, but not in this case.

I tried adjusting the original hands but it was turning into more work than I expected so I just remodeled them using the originals as a guide and making adjustments during the process. The changes aren’t too drastic but they’re a much closer match to the official pistol grip hands and I made them more adjustable this time, if they need to be tweaked further. The big thing that really worked out better this time is the thumb, if I do say so myself. I might still need to thin it ever-so-slightly, but beyond that I thing the rest is spot on. It’s a tiny detail/component but one of those things I wanted to get right since they’ll be used any time I need a Marine hand in a future model.

vtdQJCS.png
∙ Ok, I knew I was going to adjust them, and then you when and did that and really forced me to try again Second verse, same as the first!

I never take feedback or input as harsh or in any kind of mean spirit. I can take a critique. It’s really the only way you know if something is passing muster. As I’ve said before iteration is usually part of the process so I don’t mind some perspective to help point me in the right direction. The ‘heroic scale’ of GW hands combined with the fact that they armoured really makes them stumpy and I needed to make them less realistic to get the proportions 'right'. Which are actually kinda' wrong, but not in this case.

I tried adjusting the original hands but it was turning into more work than I expected so I just remodeled them using the originals as a guide and making adjustments during the process. The changes aren’t too drastic but they’re a much closer match to the official pistol grip hands and I made them more adjustable this time, if they need to be tweaked further. The big thing that really worked out better this time is the thumb, if I do say so myself. I might still need to thin it ever-so-slightly, but beyond that I thing the rest is spot on. It’s a tiny detail/component but one of those things I wanted to get right since they’ll be used any time I need a Marine hand in a future model.

That looks a lot better this time around -- far less sausage finger look going on and the placement seems more 'natural' ( I say natural in the sense that it doesn't disagree with GW's established look and feel rather than the reality of what a power-armoured hand might look like )

Thanks all. It's actually surprising how oddly proportioned the hands look when they're open and flat, looking way too stumpy and not very natural. But once the fingers get bent and the knuckles are exposed from the overlapping nature of the finger components it completely changes the proportions and look.

When do you forsee having the objective markers back in stock?

There's a few catches with the Objective Markers that I'm trying to work out. First, the moulds I've made for the kit in the past start to deform ever-so-slightly rather quickly. Visually they look fine when it happens, but the fit for the threads that act as the 'switch' to turn the LED on-and-off start to loosen and slip which is obviously no good. I have newer stiffer mould rubber that might help address the issue but I haven't had a chance to remake the moulds yet and that also leads to another catch. The supply of the specific LED tea lights I used in the kit might not be as easy to get in bulk as I was hoping. Other lights that I've purchased to see if they'll work aren't a direct 1-to-1 substitute so I need to consider what I want to do with the design/idea. I like the kit because I think it's rather unique, but naturally I need a more reliable supply of the components to make it viable.

jbGQILM.png

∙ Redesigned and fresh from Servitor Solus the new Chaincannon components are almost ready… as long as I don’t make silly mistakes. But damn, do I love this new resin!

In the top-right corner, you can see where I overlooked adding supports to some of the points on the four-barrel design. Simple enough to fix, but also an obvious mistake I should do better to avoid. Beyond that little oversight, they’re looking wonderful. No, I need to figure out where I’m going to attach the vent and how I’ll make the mould. It’s one thing to get a good test print, but then I need a proper production copy so I can make moulds. Soon, very soon.

They’re rather straightforward bits but they actually taught me a new 3D modelling trick I can use to make parts that Servitor Solus will have an easier time reproducing. In certain spots where there might be an edge with a 90° overhang that would require a support to print properly (and supports are a necessary evil that I’m always trying to minimize) if I can draft the surface (draft = add a slight tilt/slope/angle) from 10° to 15° degrees Solus can produce it without any need of a support. In many cases, the added draft is so subtle and/or just looks like an intended part of the design that there’s no reason not to do it beyond the fact that it does take a bit more work to add it in some spots.

I also tried to print the updated Combi-weapons along with these, but of the 8 parts I tried to print only 2 turned out, and they’re both the base Bolters so none of the actual Combi-weapons turned out. So I removed the Chaincannon barrels from the layout and tried again… and after 2+ hours of printing, I discovered that all of the parts failed to print. So, I’m discovering that while the new grey Art resin produces excellent results it’s just a bit more temperamental to get it to cooperate. If the print takes proper hold it works wonderfully but those first few critical layers seem to have a bit of a technique to ensure they take properly and I’m still zeroing in on it.

Man! They Look awesome Subtle. I'll take a few of those and that new ablative armor! I also finished modeling up the rhino with the new combi-bolter and havoc launcher. Looks great! I learned a lot working with zap a gap and resin and have found a better product, too. I've got the plasma generator cleaned and ready to have a go at it in the next week or so!

tudr080.png
∙ I’m still having a few issues printing these bits but here’s the Linked Bolter and Melta looking really solid.

Unfortunately, the Flamer simply didn’t print. When it does work (and the success ratio is high) the results are so good that I’m certain that I just need to tweak the print setting and/or be selective where in the build area I place small objects like this. It’s hard to tell if it’s the new resin or the fact that these parts are quite small so they only have a small profile for each layer when they’re printing. Or maybe it’s a bit of both.

QXRoAi1.png
∙ Not exactly the best angle to showcase the model as a whole (he looks a little stiff here) here’s a shot of the Plasma in-situ.

There are a few minor issues I want to give one final tweak to and I want to experiment a bit more with placement and orientation when I’m printing; not all spots on the printing bed are equal and the angle/orientation that an object is printed at can have a surprisingly large impact on the final outcome. I think the results speak to the fact that I’ve got the hang of it, but now I want to make sure I’m getting the best possible results. They’re small bits with some fiddly details, so they’re a good candidate for me to really understand how to work with this new resin.

*Subtle squeals like a schoolgirl*

Holy crap, I made that! I can hold it in my grubby little fingers and actually see and touch an idea made solid. UV light and freaking goo combined with computers and a dash of hobby-OCD. Science is amazing!!

Sorry, I’m having one of my… moments.

Oh that is nice! I really want some of those combi bolters.

Any chance you have ever thought to make weapon accessories? Fore grips, scopes/sights, targeter/rangefinder add-ons for weapons? I do not know if I missed this in the past but something to spruce up bolters and such.

j81V12x.png

+++ Compiling Data +++ Kastelan STC Alteration ∙ Ongoing… +++ Displaying Iteration ∙ 3.3 +++ Reviewing Hard Data… +++

+++++++

+++

Revised Assessment ∙ Displaying…

++

+++++

Optical Input Array ∙ Improved ∙ Visum Pattern Wide-Angle Broad-Spectrum Optical Unit ∙ Integrated 

+++++++

Onboard Ammunition Supply ∙ Enlarged ∙ Increased Ammunition Capacity ∙ 800%

++++

Rate of Fire ∙ Enhanced ∙ Tria’Telum Pattern Rotary Blaster Installed ∙ Fire Rate Increase ∙ 200%

+++++

Close Combat Weapons ∙ Iteration Subroutines ∙ Ongoing…

++++++++

+++

Correlating Data Points ∙ Ongoing…

+++++

Generating Authority Request ∙ Active Combat Testing 

++++++

+++++++++

ar2GKQe.png

∙ As hoped, casting the ammo feeds in polyurethane and creating three with different radii/radiuses solved the fit issues.

They are a bit fiddly to bend into the exact final position (I still want to tweak one of them a bit more) but polyurethane is a very forgiving thermodynamic plastic; not only can it twist and bend significantly if you warm it in boiling hot water, it also returns to its original shape very easily if you want to reset an effort.

My son was fascinated by the long piece of polyurethane sprew I was using as a test strip, repeatedly bending and twisting it into the most extreme shapes he could manage and then dunking it to watch it relax back to the original shape. He did it so much more than I would have it really illustrated to me just how much you can torture poly resin and it really holds up well. I’ve learned to take my hard data where I can get it. :smile.:

fDirhFj.png

wzvZ2GO.png

∙ I was forced to partially complete the build to make the model stable enough to facilitate the fitting of the ammo feeds.

I had planned on doing a set of the close combat arms to see how they’d turn out but my current AdMech list doesn’t have them and this assembly was just being too frustrating without locking some parts in place. I guess I have no choice now but to get some more Kastelan ‘bots to make this squad a bit bigger and to add another for a bit of punch. Pun intended.

For anyone who might be wondering if/when these kits will be making their way to the shop, yes I do plan on putting the Mechanicus components I’ve created in the shop at some point in the future. However, I want to put some other projects to bed first and I also want to complete one-or-two more Mechanicus builds, with the Onager being the obvious target, but there might be more some inspiration to add to that. The upcoming AdMech transport/tank kit has me itching to get my grubby hands on it to see what potential might lay in the kit.

Oh, and don’t you worry Chaos, I could never forget about you. First the Marines, then the Mechanicus. Yes, you will have your fill, I promise.

But those are Darker ideas, forming other stories, for future updates…

I wasn't impressed with the 'cannon' part of the official chaincannon when I first saw the new Havocs. After seeing your versions, my opinion updated to 'thoroughly underwhelmed' instead.

I love your miniguns, the triple-barrelled version especially. It's a shame the official chaincannon body doesn't come with the same sockets as the heavy bolter's; that'll likely make locking your conversion parts into the gun harder.

Liking the twin ammo-feed and its welcome lack of bowel-tubing better has a price, it seems.

lZXulIV.png

∙ Juggle model man! Juggle! You got that done? Well here’s three more things you gotta’ do! Hahahah! Juggle model man! Juggle!

Required to constantly keep swapping hats, I’m working on a new banner that I can use on the shop that can give a really focused condensed idea of the studio philosophy with a layout that can accommodate a range of photos. I’m hoping that if I can standardize some of the stuff like this I can make it a bit easier to add updated images to give more feedback on what the studio is working on. Being a simple setup I don’t get a lot of control over the shop site so for now I’m trying to do my best with the template as-is.

Ah well, more updates coming soon. I have a distinct urge to start painting the Kastelan ‘bots despite all the things I need to do. I’ve been sacrificing my weekends that I was forcing myself to take in an effort to keep my head screwed on straight and the lack of progress on personal projects has me getting quite itchy. The Mechanicus are so close to being done, I can’t help but get back finishing them, before getting lured and lost in Darker places…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hu7kqmK.png

∙ Forgive me Omnissiah, for I have succumb to distraction and it has lead me to… innovate. I suspect that I will be unable to stop. *Harsh binaric screeching!*

Wall-o-text with some more images coming soon, I promise. Trying to lay the ground work for some bigger projects (work-in-progress pictured above being the first of some much more ambitious ideas) and I’ve got a brain full of thoughts that I’m still working to sort out into some kind of coherent ramble.