• 3 weeks later...
Studio  Correspondence Message: I apologize to anyone reading this who may have contacted the studio over the last few months but have not received a reply. I try to keep up but sometimes I get swamped and/or distracted with things inside and outside of the studio and it becomes very easy to procrastinate on replying. I will be sending out a form letter to reply to the bulk of the emails and work to reply directly where it makes sense.

This ties into what I want to talk about in more depth, but I’ve got several things bouncing around in my brain so I figured it would be best to split them up. Right now, let’s have a look at what I’ve been working on for upcoming kits and soon I’ll discuss how one thing led to another and a fit of distraction made future studio projects started to take form, somewhat unexpectedly.

NZOsvt9.png

∙ With initial work for the Rhino done the venerable Land Raider chassis is next in line.

Now, the Land Raider is an old GW kit to say the least and it comes with a few issues with fit and dimensions; some parts simply don’t fit together quite right and there are numerous places where details should be symmetrical, and they aren’t, or should align, and they don’t. The best I can do is try to average out any differences and remember to provide a bit of tolerance to the fit of components I create. As with the Rhino chassis, once I’ve made some things that can give some feedback on the fit I can dial in the 3D model for future projects.

CokcZ3c.png

∙ It’s been sitting on my workbench begging me to give it some attention so I felt compelled to 3D model the Sicaran.

Someone had mentioned a while back that it might be challenging to make add-on kits for the Sicaran and I can understand why since RTV mould cast resin models can have some tolerances that might not be completely uniform for one cast to the next. After dealing with all sorts of strange issues with the Land Raider I figured ‘how bad could it be?’ and got to work. I quickly discovered that it’s true and it surprising just how much so. Many of the details are completely different from one spot and/or side to the other where they should be symmetrical or evenly spaced. Even the tracks start at the exact same spot at the back of the model but by the time they reach the front they’re slightly different lengths; this may have been done on purpose to make them look slightly different, but it’s just one of many odd details and off measurements. As with the Land Raider, but even more-so, I’ve simply tried to average out any of the worst examples of this.

It’s still a gorgeous model and most issues are small enough that you can’t really tell by looking at it, but it makes it very tricky to create anything with a tight fit over any of the complex geometry. I really just want to give the model some spaced armour plates, a siege ram style ‘dozer blade, and some tread plates that can be attached to the tracks, so I know I can do those without too much hassle. Anything more complex and it’ll be too much of a headache I suspect. Initially I wasn’t going to model the turret but once I got the rest of the model done I got lured in to the challenge of trying to do it; I’m not sure it I’ll make custom weapons for the Sicaran but at least now it won’t be hard to get started if I do.

1dUOsey.png

∙ Next up, a ‘Raven that’s been sitting in the back of a dark a drawer for far too long.

If it’s not already apparent, I really enjoy the 3D modelling process so it’s not going to take much arm-twisting for me to get to work on the Storm Raven. Over the years it’s been requested more than a few times, so now that I’ve got the opportunity it seems like as good a time as any to get the preliminary 3D modelling done. I’ve finally got the means to really do it right and get the complex fits I’ll need to make add-ons for the ‘Raven.

7hDipJU.png

∙ What’s that? You were expecting more than these little images of the tank model I previewed before? Looks like you’ll need to keep your comm-link active.

Working on modelling so many GW kits I couldn’t help but develop a nasty itch to create something that’s been lurking in the back of my brain for years. It also ties in well with some of the other things I’m trying to sort out and talk about, so I figured it would be a good hook for my next update. Everyone likes images after all, especially if it’s (likely) going to be accompanied with a wall-o-text.

This is definitely a project for the future, but I really want to show some of the more ambitious ideas I’ve got for future larger kits. Add-ons are just where I want to start but I really do want to create much larger and more ambitious complete kits and I want to start showing off what I have in mind so people can see the images I have in my mind, even if I can’t make them quite yet….

But, before I get to rambling too soon, I’ll stop here, and keep it for next time.

Awesome Stuff!

I know with regards to the Storm Raven, if there were any kits like the Chassis Extension that Chapterhouse used to make, they would def fly off the shelf.

Thanks. Yep, there have been several requests for an extension kit of some sort for the 'Raven and that's the initial plan, and once I've got the fit for that correct I'll consider something more ambitious. The original idea was to create a unique Chaos variant of the Storm Eagle so I suspect that's where I'll start and see where it goes from there.

If you're working on the Land Raider, can you give us the option of transposing the tank commander's hatch and the hull-mounted twin heavy bolters/assault cannons, allowing the weapons to be mounted in a turret capable of 360° traverse and high elevation (for engaging enemies firing from rooftops and other elevated positions)? Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

If you're working on the Land Raider, can you give use the option of transposing the tank commander's hatch and the hull-mounted twin heavy bolters/assault cannons, allowing the weapons to be mounted in a turret capable of 360° traverse and high elevation (for egaging enemies firing from rooftops and other elevated positions)?

I would also love to see a turret option for the Raider. Awesome stuff man.

• 2 months later...
Well then, just as I was about to get my crap together and start talking about my new plans for the studio, life the universe and everything conspired to toss a wrench into the whole works. As if I wasn’t trying to juggle and sort out enough stuff an unexpected new twist has come along and really thrown me for a loop, so, I’m still trying to stop my psyche from spinning and find my equilibrium. While the studio is by no means dead the last few months has completely tripped me up just as I was going to get stared and forced me to step back and rethink many things. Life doesn’t come with an instruction manual, you just gotta’ figure it out as you go. *Sigh* Adulting is hard sometimes.

More studio updates incoming at some point, once I’ve got new considerations fit into the plans. I was already committed to exploring and talking about how I want to take things to the next level and that isn’t changing, but I need a bit more time to get things sorted out. Personal projects on the other hand, might just find their way into the gap, so that’s not a bad thing…

AnWi5Vk.png

+++ … still waters run deep … +++

r5t3grT.png

Awesome stuff, guides and tutorials! The static terrain piece was really neat conversion.

Thanks! Legion Rising might go quite from time-to-time, but that just means I'm really busy working on things. Those things are not always interesting or worth posting about, but often I'm working on interesting something/s that will show up at some point. I fully plan to document the entire journey of me creating my studio with much more coming soon. Stay tuned to this vox-broadcast.

I love that blue

Vallejo Game Colour Magic Blue (72.021). The name seems fitting because I've been getting that reaction quite a bit. The original plan was to do the army with a darker blue but I also fell in love with the Magic Blue; I also formalized the fiction of my Forge World as having a bright blue sun and that really cinched it.

Good to see that you're still about SD, I'm always interested to see your updates.

Oh, I may go dark, but I'm not gone. Life has a way of distracting me and there's never enough time to get all my ideas going so I'm always chipping away at things and I just don't have time to make updates. However, I'm hoping a shift in the studio might just start to address that... but that's another story for another post. Big things coming, literally and figuratively.

Ok, so this is going to be long-winded because I’m mixing the showcasing of this model with some of the bigger things I’ve been mulling over with regards to the studio. I’ve got no problem with the philosophy of ‘slow and steady wins the race’ and no matter how things pan out that’s how I’m approaching this entire endeavour and not expecting things to happen at any particular speed. However, I’m also seeing that I need to start considering something more ambitious, with more focus, and a larger game plan even if it starts vaguely. The smaller kits I’ve been making have been excellent to dial in Servitor Solus and learn most of the best practices I’ll need to follow in the future to create components but with limited labour and resources right now I need to consider some larger bread-and-butter products. I really like making unique add-on kits that can upgrade and/or transform the existing models, but it all just makes me want to get to create larger more ambitious projects for complete models like the one in this post even more. I don’t want to stop making smaller kits and add-ons, but I’m finding I don’t I have any choice but to start some bigger projects if I want to really start generating the returns I need to take the studio to the next level and really start to build a presence and reputation for the studio and the models being produced.

But, more rambling on this in a bit, first…

Hobbyist 1: Hey! You got your Sicaran in my Land Raider!
Hobbyist 2: No! You got your Land Raider in my Sicaran!
Subtle: Nope, you’re both wrong! You got your Land Raider and Sicaran in my Clouseau!

Maaany years ago I wanted to scratch-build a more aggressive-looking Rhino counts-as for my Chaos army. It was something I fiddled with before I started Legion Rising but the idea didn’t really go anywhere because I was still just starting to learn how to build with styrene and it seemed like a virtually impossible project at the time. The idea evolved some as it sat in the back of my brain while I started to get more skilled at scratch-building, dabbling with the studio, and then attending college; I wanted to make a transition chassis between the Rhino and the Land Raider that had a blend of the design elements that go into each model. At the time the idea was just too ambitious but that just made it something to aspire to. Sometime during those years I also came across the design drawings that some anonymous internet citizen made for the ‘Clouseau’ APC and it fed into what I had in mind. Then, the Sicaran model was released, doing a good job to officially fill in the gap that my idea was kinda’ aiming for, but I came to see that it also gave me some design cues that I could make use of to help in creating something unique. After 3D modelling the Land Raider and Sicaran for other studio projects the idea just wouldn’t let go and I had to see what I could come up with since the process of modelling them was still so fresh.

Oh yeah. Hey look, I can GIF! As a perfect example of another thing in a long list of things I want to learn how to do, I finally took the time to figure out how to make GIF images. There have been a few times in the past that I wanted to create an image that could transition to different points-of-view and/or subjects but it was something that would slip my mind or just seemed like too much work at the time. Over the years I’ve learned I’m a very capable person who can figure things out if I apply myself, but with the studio I’ve quickly learned that I can only do so much with two hands and one brain and it forces me to pick-and-choose what I can invest the time into. It’s a perfect microcosm of my situation with the studio, I can do almost anything the studio needs but there’s a limit no matter how capable and willing I am. However, when I can find the time its a lot of fun to figure something like this out.

oLri2HK.gif
∙ From the back my design is considerably different than the concept sketch but it still retains the major elements that have been rearranged.

The Clouseau design is a bit too narrow for my liking especially if it’s going to have a transport capacity and a ramp in the front. While I made the center hull a bit wider I also added the layered armour elements taken from the Sicaran to bulk it a bit more. From a straight-on view like this, it might even seem a bit too wide but it’s a trick of the angle and it looks much leaner from a three-quarter view shown below. I also really like the asymmetrical details in the design that give it some nice visual interest so it was something I wanted to really embrace with this concept; I like the offset exhausts but I just wanted them on the opposite side.

JNdlblS.gif
∙ From the top the concept sketch has more similarities to my design but I wasn’t too fond of the front so it needed some creativity.

My understanding of the fiction behind the Rhino and Land Raider chassis is that they’re more general-purpose vehicles intended primarily for civilian use but also with the capacity to be up-built with a military role in mind. So for me, the Sicaran represents a vehicle with a chassis intended for military use only and over the years my idea evolved further to build on that concept. I didn’t want to copy any of these vehicles directly but my goal was to use the Clouseau design as a starting point and then blend several of the design elements into the base concept to produce a ‘military grade’ chassis, as it were.

As I said, I didn’t really like the front of the center hull in the concept sketch and how the turret was placed in a very Land Raider manner but I did like the idea of using the octagonal shape. Instead of cutting into the hull I borrowed the same shape form the Sicaran which builds it out proving a good spot for the driver. I also pulled the center hull back a bit to take away some of the rolling-brick vibe and to give it the more aggressive feel that I wanted. The top view of the sketch doesn’t really give a good idea of what’s going on at the front but it does appear to have a hatch of some sort. Since the back is styled after the Land Raider by placing the engines and exhaust where a rear hatch might be it only seemed logical to try and add a ramp to the front to compensate and further blend the base elements of all the models incorporated into the design.

dTLJaj5.gif
∙ The side profile of the concept sketch is where the similarities of the designs can be really seen and how it inspired my design.

However, there’s one major thing that can be reduced down to two words that needed to change. Hey kids! Can you say ground clearance’?! Very good! I knew you could! If there’s one thing that drives me crazy in many of the vehicles of the 40k universe it’s the lack of ground clearance in so many of the designs. 20-30cm of mud would completely bog down many of these ‘all-terrain’ tracked vehicles and/or the hulls are designed in such a way that they would likely wedge themselves into the ground at the bottom of any modest incline. No sir, you need some clearance so the suspension has some room to travel (even if it’s not visible) and the hull is properly suspended off the damn ground. Plus, it adds to the visual interest of the model adding some gaps of negative space and depth to break up the large solid slabs of armour that comprises the rest of the model. Ground clearance, “it’s a good thing.”

Obviously, I also choose to change the rectangular side doors from the sketch and made them round. Both round and rectangular shapes could work, really, but the round is just a bit more unique and suits the Sicaran inspiration this area of the model has. They also provide the opportunity to add a subtle convex shape and to recess them into the hull a bit to give it a bit more sophisticated look. Again, I wanted this vehicle to feel less utilitarian and more purpose-built, but there’s also the simple idea of trying to find places to add some rounded surfaces to accent the very flat and angular look of most Imperial vehicles. I’m tempted to round a few more spots but it’s something I don’t want to go too overboard with.

gImnOyF.png
∙ The concept sketch doesn’t provide a proper front view and the top view is vague, so there was lots of room for some creative freedom.

A front view in the concept sketch might have been useful, but from what was shown in the top view I don’t think it would have stopped me from going in this direction. This needed to be an assault transport, after all, because… reasons. Naturally, the center hull is a separate component and with the power of digital design, that means there’s no problem creating alternatives. I’m already pondering how I can change it up to add a turret and sponsons to another version of the same chassis. This is easily going to become the base of several versions of this chassis, I suspect.

JQmZJoh.png
∙ With slightly smaller proportions than a Sicaran I think this chassis fits nicely between the Rhino and the Land Raider.
7hDipJU.png
∙ I haven’t done anything to the inside yet, and I’m still not sure if I will, but I suspect my ‘attention to detail’ will compel me. Regardless, the doors and hatches do open.
QRkPiYo.png
∙ I’ve been asked I would ever do a full tank model, so I guess this is my answer. Yeah, I wanna’ try to make this (and much more) real! Would you support a Kickstarter for this?

Now, this model may look close to being finished but it still needs at lease some interior detailing and to be ‘chopped up’ into components that can be 3D printed; then sub-assemblies need to be made out of those parts in preparation for mould making. So, there’s still a lot more work to make something this ambitious real, but, this is what I can do with a solid idea in my mind, a reasonably good concept sketch (optional), and a pool of design elements that I can draw on to create something unique, yet familiar, and able to fit right in on a 40k tabletop; plus, if it happens to appeal outside of that market, well then, I’m not going to complain.

Smaller kits have been great to perfect my process and to dial in my equipment, and I enjoy making unique add-on kits and bits that can really transform the existing models or fill a gap in an official kit, but it all just makes me want to get to doing larger more ambitious projects like this even more. I don’t want to stop making smaller kits and add-ons, but I’m finding I don’t I have any choice but to start some larger projects if I want to start generating the returns I need to take the studio to the next level. I also need to stop investing all of the labour and materials upfront, before waiting on the return on that investment over weeks and months. It’s just too slow. Other studios are creating successful crowdfunding drives for single models (or small ranges) on par with this and generating exactly the kind of funds that I need to let me really dig in and get to work for many weeks and/or months at a time. I can see that the GoFundMe I set up is just too vague and I need to create something that’s focused on specific models (or small ranges) and simply build the studio’s selection and reputation that way.

However, even with more money I only have two hands and one brain. Still with me after 2,000+ words? Then maybe you’re the kind of person I’m going to need going forward. See, I’m not in a position to get a partner/employee into the studio to help me hands-on (yet…) so that rules out the hands. I guess that means I need another brain or two and hopefully they’ll come with hands attached. There’s so much to do building and managing an online presence that I’m open to the idea of a person or two who are willing to work from a distance. I’m constantly asked if I have a newsletter, ongoing back-and-forth with customers, I still have no social media presence, I need to get my online hosting and the like properly sorted out, at some point the web-shop needs a facelift, and once I get these new crowdfunding drives going it’ll just add to the list of tasks and communication needs, especially as I gain more exposure. Like I said in the beginning, I am capable of doing each task, but simply can’t do it all if I’m also 3D modelling, printing, prepping, mould making, casting, and much more. While in-studio hands-on help would be nice it’s just not an option yet so any other way I can find to reduce the workload will be a step in the right direction.

So, what am I looking for? First and foremost, serious hobbyists. Are you an active builder, painter, and/or player? Is the tabletop gaming hobby something you’re pretty sure you want to do forever? Yeah, you’re the kind of people I’m looking for. Yes, the studio needs people with specific skills but I want gamers because that will simply tie the shop to the community that much more and provide more opportunities.

Beyond that, if I were to give it a title it would be something like Online Communications and Marketing; and ugh, that sounds horribly formal but it’s about right. Put simply, I need someone who can help me with general communications, community interactions, and helping to market the studio starting with the aforementioned crowdfunding campaigns.

Critical skills: Communications (written, verbal, potentially video), internet & social media savvy, basic-to-intermediate digital graphic design (crop, edit, adjust images, layouts, etc.), basic understanding of MS Office (or comparable) applications, willingness to learn something new if the need arises.

Good to have: Strong digital graphic design (advanced image manipulation, good quality sketching, rendering), website creation experience, video editing, good quality miniature painting, photography skills, 3D modelling, active convention/competition attendance, crowdfunding experience, and again a willingness to learn. 

NOTE: For the foreseeable future this will be tied to crowdfunding campaigns of the studio; both workload and compensation will be tied to these campaigns and they will start slowly at first with the intent to build a selection that can sustain the studio to a point that this position can become permanent.

Think you’re someone with the right skills in a position that this could work for you? Want to help me make awesome miniatures with the potential to make your own ideas real in the future? Send me a Private Message or contact me via The Dark Works and we can discuss this further. Right now I just need one or two people and I have no idea what the response is going to be like so please understand if I’m forced to pick from a few good candidates. It will also be several months before the first crowdfunding drives will be ready as I need to do some serious 3D modelling to get several solid projects to a point that they can showcase well like the APC in this post. This will start somewhat informal and as the studio gains some momentum and expands, I’m sure there will be many unknowns to be sorted out.

Ok, I’m sure I could keep trying to refine and tweak what I’m trying to say but I’m going to stop typing now because the general idea is out there and I’m sure it will evolve a bit as time goes by. I look forward to hearing from anyone who may be interested and as always any other input, feedback, or general musings about what I’m up to and the hobby, in general, are always welcome.

Well lookee here! Months of negligible contnt in this thread was bound to yield something amazing in the end. WOW!

Love the Sicarhino , mate. Abslutely fantastic. 

Also, I went to NR* and quite a few guys there had your stuff on their miniatures. You're a hit!

Hidden Content

Ok, so this is going to be long-winded because I’m mixing the showcasing of this model with some of the bigger things I’ve been mulling over with regards to the studio. I’ve got no problem with the philosophy of ‘slow and steady wins the race’ and no matter how things pan out that’s how I’m approaching this entire endeavour and not expecting things to happen at any particular speed. However, I’m also seeing that I need to start considering something more ambitious, with more focus, and a larger game plan even if it starts vaguely. The smaller kits I’ve been making have been excellent to dial in Servitor Solus and learn most of the best practices I’ll need to follow in the future to create components but with limited labour and resources right now I need to consider some larger bread-and-butter products. I really like making unique add-on kits that can upgrade and/or transform the existing models, but it all just makes me want to get to create larger more ambitious projects for complete models like the one in this post even more. I don’t want to stop making smaller kits and add-ons, but I’m finding I don’t I have any choice but to start some bigger projects if I want to really start generating the returns I need to take the studio to the next level and really start to build a presence and reputation for the studio and the models being produced.

But, more rambling on this in a bit, first…

Hobbyist 1: Hey! You got your Sicaran in my Land Raider!
Hobbyist 2: No! You got your Land Raider in my Sicaran!
Subtle: Nope, you’re both wrong! You got your Land Raider and Sicaran in my Clouseau!

Maaany years ago I wanted to scratch-build a more aggressive-looking Rhino counts-as for my Chaos army. It was something I fiddled with before I started Legion Rising but the idea didn’t really go anywhere because I was still just starting to learn how to build with styrene and it seemed like a virtually impossible project at the time. The idea evolved some as it sat in the back of my brain while I started to get more skilled at scratch-building, dabbling with the studio, and then attending college; I wanted to make a transition chassis between the Rhino and the Land Raider that had a blend of the design elements that go into each model. At the time the idea was just too ambitious but that just made it something to aspire to. Sometime during those years I also came across the design drawings that some anonymous internet citizen made for the ‘Clouseau’ APC and it fed into what I had in mind. Then, the Sicaran model was released, doing a good job to officially fill in the gap that my idea was kinda’ aiming for, but I came to see that it also gave me some design cues that I could make use of to help in creating something unique. After 3D modelling the Land Raider and Sicaran for other studio projects the idea just wouldn’t let go and I had to see what I could come up with since the process of modelling them was still so fresh.

Oh yeah. Hey look, I can GIF! As a perfect example of another thing in a long list of things I want to learn how to do, I finally took the time to figure out how to make GIF images. There have been a few times in the past that I wanted to create an image that could transition to different points-of-view and/or subjects but it was something that would slip my mind or just seemed like too much work at the time. Over the years I’ve learned I’m a very capable person who can figure things out if I apply myself, but with the studio I’ve quickly learned that I can only do so much with two hands and one brain and it forces me to pick-and-choose what I can invest the time into. It’s a perfect microcosm of my situation with the studio, I can do almost anything the studio needs but there’s a limit no matter how capable and willing I am. However, when I can find the time its a lot of fun to figure something like this out.

oLri2HK.gif
∙ From the back my design is considerably different than the concept sketch but it still retains the major elements that have been rearranged.

The Clouseau design is a bit too narrow for my liking especially if it’s going to have a transport capacity and a ramp in the front. While I made the center hull a bit wider I also added the layered armour elements taken from the Sicaran to bulk it a bit more. From a straight-on view like this, it might even seem a bit too wide but it’s a trick of the angle and it looks much leaner from a three-quarter view shown below. I also really like the asymmetrical details in the design that give it some nice visual interest so it was something I wanted to really embrace with this concept; I like the offset exhausts but I just wanted them on the opposite side.

JNdlblS.gif
∙ From the top the concept sketch has more similarities to my design but I wasn’t too fond of the front so it needed some creativity.

My understanding of the fiction behind the Rhino and Land Raider chassis is that they’re more general-purpose vehicles intended primarily for civilian use but also with the capacity to be up-built with a military role in mind. So for me, the Sicaran represents a vehicle with a chassis intended for military use only and over the years my idea evolved further to build on that concept. I didn’t want to copy any of these vehicles directly but my goal was to use the Clouseau design as a starting point and then blend several of the design elements into the base concept to produce a ‘military grade’ chassis, as it were.

As I said, I didn’t really like the front of the center hull in the concept sketch and how the turret was placed in a very Land Raider manner but I did like the idea of using the octagonal shape. Instead of cutting into the hull I borrowed the same shape form the Sicaran which builds it out proving a good spot for the driver. I also pulled the center hull back a bit to take away some of the rolling-brick vibe and to give it the more aggressive feel that I wanted. The top view of the sketch doesn’t really give a good idea of what’s going on at the front but it does appear to have a hatch of some sort. Since the back is styled after the Land Raider by placing the engines and exhaust where a rear hatch might be it only seemed logical to try and add a ramp to the front to compensate and further blend the base elements of all the models incorporated into the design.

dTLJaj5.gif
∙ The side profile of the concept sketch is where the similarities of the designs can be really seen and how it inspired my design.

However, there’s one major thing that can be reduced down to two words that needed to change. Hey kids! Can you say ground clearance’?! Very good! I knew you could! If there’s one thing that drives me crazy in many of the vehicles of the 40k universe it’s the lack of ground clearance in so many of the designs. 20-30cm of mud would completely bog down many of these ‘all-terrain’ tracked vehicles and/or the hulls are designed in such a way that they would likely wedge themselves into the ground at the bottom of any modest incline. No sir, you need some clearance so the suspension has some room to travel (even if it’s not visible) and the hull is properly suspended off the damn ground. Plus, it adds to the visual interest of the model adding some gaps of negative space and depth to break up the large solid slabs of armour that comprises the rest of the model. Ground clearance, “it’s a good thing.”

Obviously, I also choose to change the rectangular side doors from the sketch and made them round. Both round and rectangular shapes could work, really, but the round is just a bit more unique and suits the Sicaran inspiration this area of the model has. They also provide the opportunity to add a subtle convex shape and to recess them into the hull a bit to give it a bit more sophisticated look. Again, I wanted this vehicle to feel less utilitarian and more purpose-built, but there’s also the simple idea of trying to find places to add some rounded surfaces to accent the very flat and angular look of most Imperial vehicles. I’m tempted to round a few more spots but it’s something I don’t want to go too overboard with.

gImnOyF.png
∙ The concept sketch doesn’t provide a proper front view and the top view is vague, so there was lots of room for some creative freedom.

A front view in the concept sketch might have been useful, but from what was shown in the top view I don’t think it would have stopped me from going in this direction. This needed to be an assault transport, after all, because… reasons. Naturally, the center hull is a separate component and with the power of digital design, that means there’s no problem creating alternatives. I’m already pondering how I can change it up to add a turret and sponsons to another version of the same chassis. This is easily going to become the base of several versions of this chassis, I suspect.

JQmZJoh.png
∙ With slightly smaller proportions than a Sicaran I think this chassis fits nicely between the Rhino and the Land Raider.
7hDipJU.png
∙ I haven’t done anything to the inside yet, and I’m still not sure if I will, but I suspect my ‘attention to detail’ will compel me. Regardless, the doors and hatches do open.
QRkPiYo.png
∙ I’ve been asked I would ever do a full tank model, so I guess this is my answer. Yeah, I wanna’ try to make this (and much more) real! Would you support a Kickstarter for this?

Now, this model may look close to being finished but it still needs at lease some interior detailing and to be ‘chopped up’ into components that can be 3D printed; then sub-assemblies need to be made out of those parts in preparation for mould making. So, there’s still a lot more work to make something this ambitious real, but, this is what I can do with a solid idea in my mind, a reasonably good concept sketch (optional), and a pool of design elements that I can draw on to create something unique, yet familiar, and able to fit right in on a 40k tabletop; plus, if it happens to appeal outside of that market, well then, I’m not going to complain.

Smaller kits have been great to perfect my process and to dial in my equipment, and I enjoy making unique add-on kits and bits that can really transform the existing models or fill a gap in an official kit, but it all just makes me want to get to doing larger more ambitious projects like this even more. I don’t want to stop making smaller kits and add-ons, but I’m finding I don’t I have any choice but to start some larger projects if I want to start generating the returns I need to take the studio to the next level. I also need to stop investing all of the labour and materials upfront, before waiting on the return on that investment over weeks and months. It’s just too slow. Other studios are creating successful crowdfunding drives for single models (or small ranges) on par with this and generating exactly the kind of funds that I need to let me really dig in and get to work for many weeks and/or months at a time. I can see that the GoFundMe I set up is just too vague and I need to create something that’s focused on specific models (or small ranges) and simply build the studio’s selection and reputation that way.

However, even with more money I only have two hands and one brain. Still with me after 2,000+ words? Then maybe you’re the kind of person I’m going to need going forward. See, I’m not in a position to get a partner/employee into the studio to help me hands-on (yet…) so that rules out the hands. I guess that means I need another brain or two and hopefully they’ll come with hands attached. There’s so much to do building and managing an online presence that I’m open to the idea of a person or two who are willing to work from a distance. I’m constantly asked if I have a newsletter, ongoing back-and-forth with customers, I still have no social media presence, I need to get my online hosting and the like properly sorted out, at some point the web-shop needs a facelift, and once I get these new crowdfunding drives going it’ll just add to the list of tasks and communication needs, especially as I gain more exposure. Like I said in the beginning, I am capable of doing each task, but simply can’t do it all if I’m also 3D modelling, printing, prepping, mould making, casting, and much more. While in-studio hands-on help would be nice it’s just not an option yet so any other way I can find to reduce the workload will be a step in the right direction.

So, what am I looking for? First and foremost, serious hobbyists. Are you an active builder, painter, and/or player? Is the tabletop gaming hobby something you’re pretty sure you want to do forever? Yeah, you’re the kind of people I’m looking for. Yes, the studio needs people with specific skills but I want gamers because that will simply tie the shop to the community that much more and provide more opportunities.

Beyond that, if I were to give it a title it would be something like Online Communications and Marketing; and ugh, that sounds horribly formal but it’s about right. Put simply, I need someone who can help me with general communications, community interactions, and helping to market the studio starting with the aforementioned crowdfunding campaigns.

Critical skills: Communications (written, verbal, potentially video), internet & social media savvy, basic-to-intermediate digital graphic design (crop, edit, adjust images, layouts, etc.), basic understanding of MS Office (or comparable) applications, willingness to learn something new if the need arises.

Good to have: Strong digital graphic design (advanced image manipulation, good quality sketching, rendering), website creation experience, video editing, good quality miniature painting, photography skills, 3D modelling, active convention/competition attendance, crowdfunding experience, and again a willingness to learn. 

NOTE: For the foreseeable future this will be tied to crowdfunding campaigns of the studio; both workload and compensation will be tied to these campaigns and they will start slowly at first with the intent to build a selection that can sustain the studio to a point that this position can become permanent.

Think you’re someone with the right skills in a position that this could work for you? Want to help me make awesome miniatures with the potential to make your own ideas real in the future? Send me a Private Message or contact me via The Dark Works and we can discuss this further. Right now I just need one or two people and I have no idea what the response is going to be like so please understand if I’m forced to pick from a few good candidates. It will also be several months before the first crowdfunding drives will be ready as I need to do some serious 3D modelling to get several solid projects to a point that they can showcase well like the APC in this post. This will start somewhat informal and as the studio gains some momentum and expands, I’m sure there will be many unknowns to be sorted out.

Ok, I’m sure I could keep trying to refine and tweak what I’m trying to say but I’m going to stop typing now because the general idea is out there and I’m sure it will evolve a bit as time goes by. I look forward to hearing from anyone who may be interested and as always any other input, feedback, or general musings about what I’m up to and the hobby, in general, are always welcome.

I absolutely love this design ( even if its rough as you say right now ); I wish I had the time as I'd love to help out as I believe you have some real talent but I haven't even had time to get the hobby room unpacked and set up since moving so I'm not really in an active gaming / hobbying position at the moment. Definitely will be following your developments and looking forward to where it goes from here. Edited by Brother Tyler
Hid the huge quote

You really don't need to quote a whole wall of text, bruh.

SD, I love the design and my only tiny critique is that it looks a bit small for a transport. It doesn't look like there's much room for troops between the front and where the engine would be. Maybe stretch the body a bit?

And I may offer a suggestion, perhaps a Razorback version with a turret on top?

*Edit* Totally missed the little paragraph where you mention making it modular with turrets and sponsons. >_<

I hope you don't mind that I cobbled something together real quick with the render to better express what I mean, and it's just a small change to silence the voices in my head. 

LtMNTRl.png

That row of vents on the horizontal upper deck is what's throwing the voices into fits because it gives the appearance of the engine reaching that far forward and drastically cutting back the transport capacity, with only the area outlined in red denoting the extent of the passenger area. Covering that upper vent area, for me, seems to give the passengers a little more elbow room. 

More comments in direct reply coming soon, but first, a brief hobby tangent…

c0EWavC.png

∙ Recently added to my arsenal of hobby stuff, this is my new favorite surface refiner and primer.

I first got the Grey 1200 in an effort to smooth some of the early 3D prints I had done outside of the studio. While it couldn’t really make the worst of the 3D prints usable it still performed very well and saved some; it’s self-leveling and sandable so it’s excellent to refine and smooth surfaces that have minor-to-mild scratches and imperfections. While it was good for that purpose, what it did really well was act as a primer so I got a bottle of the Black 1500 to try for that use and wow I really like the results. On styrene it has amazing bite and just doesn’t let go, period. On poly resin it holds better than any other primer I’ve ever used; it’ll still chip away with serious effort but it’s still as good as, or better than, any primer in a rattle-can that I’ve used.

The one real downside is that it is a thinner based product with, like, all the bad things in it that could possibly be in it. Through an airbrush you have much more control and the amount of over-spray and solvents released into the air is greatly reduced but it’s still just horrible and you’ll want to have good ventilation and a proper mask with Volatile Organic Chemical (VOC) filters. But, if you’re already using rattle-cans to prime your models and have an airbrush I can say first hand that this Mr. Hobby line is really good.

I can say first hand that this Mr. Hobby line is really good

Couldn't agree more Subtle-- Mr. Hobby products have been in my toolbox for a while, and are a must have for certain projects as far as I'm concerned.  Glad to see others using them!

Agreed. Been waiting to get a good air extractor in place so I can really take advantage of the stinky hot paints; have some in storage waiting for the workshop to be put online. Right now that's in the queue behind the local adjunct of the Officio Administratum. All the things you need to get done after moving..

Thank you all for the feedback and support. I’m especially touched when people say or show something and express how something I’ve created really taps into the idea they had and does a good job of making it real. I really do strive to make things that I think might lurk in the dark corners of other gamer's brains, but they don’t have the time/money/materials/skill/space/inclination to make it happen. The Dark Works. Better models. Better builds.

Love the name. Does this mean there will be a "Cato" variant?

I didn’t pick the name, and I’m not quite sure what the background is for it. The Clouseau pattern is just what I’ve always known it as. Still not sure just what I’m going to call it, to be honest.

I went to college for CADD and I never learned this...

I attended college for Industrial Design and started learning CADD and Solidworks there, but it was all with products and vehicles in mind. The skills aren’t locked to a field or a subject, they’re transferrable, just take them and apply them to the hobby. With 3D printing getting better and cheaper by the year it’s becoming easier-and-easier to make ideas real.

I hope you don't mind that I cobbled something together real quick with the render to better express what I mean, and it's just a small change to silence the voices in my head.

LtMNTRl.png

That row of vents on the horizontal upper deck is what's throwing the voices into fits because it gives the appearance of the engine reaching that far forward and drastically cutting back the transport capacity, with only the area outlined in red denoting the extent of the passenger area. Covering that upper vent area, for me, seems to give the passengers a little more elbow room.

Your instinct was correct; at first, I was thinking you were suggesting that I alter the slope of the front to increase the center hull, and well that isn’t going happen for a long list of reasons. Then you went and illustrated your point and, oh yeah, I think you’re on to something…

qhaAXpC.png
U7u27FA.png
∙ If my design looks like it can’t fit a squad, then I guess it fits right in; if that Rhino can fit 10 Marines so can my APC.

But kidding aside, what you showed wasn’t a bad idea for a few reasons. I had done it the original way to emulate the Land Raider but that’s got a longer hull. I agree that psychologically changing it helps the brain visualize more potential room inside the vehicle. Since I was making some changes, I also took the time to add a few curves and to make some subtle changes to the curves that were already in the model by adding a few crease lines instead of just a smooth round transition. They not a huge change, but I think they add nicely to the design.

0pcBWCE.png
∙ When I adjusted the curves on the headlights I also made them adjustable so the builder can pick the height.

iFmOuIg.png
∙ From the back you can see all of the changes together; again, nothing too dramatic but a nice improvement.

It helps make the center hull seem larger and adds to the extra-armoured feel that I was going for with this design, so I see that as a win-win. But it’ll also help on the inside…

g82BwAw.png
∙ It’ll be easier now to build the interior walls that will be used to finish the inside of the model.

The changes make it much easier to create a nice straight wall for the back of the cabin that can segregate it from the engine and provide a nice opportunity to use the provided clean slate. Building a wall with a hatch/door/access to the driver’s area should also be easy enough, so the space it takes will be plausible but detailing it won’t be needed. That will leave a nice ‘L’ shaped passenger compartment that should be downright spacious by Warhammer 40k standards. Just what I’m going to do on the inside… well that’s another question altogether. I’ll get back to you on that.

M77Z5Di.png
∙ I wanted to close with something that has some colour so here’s an impromptu photo of the Kastelan and the Datasmith.

These guys are in the home stretch and almost ready to take their place beside the rest of the army. I’ve also had a change of heart and will be changing the decals to primarily black where I was strongly considering white for the contrast and because they would have been a bit more exotic; oooo… looksee at ‘dem fancy white decals. But, the more I thought about it the black seemed a better fit for the colour scheme and the blue is so vivid that there aren’t going to be any problems with black contrasting well against it. If it was a darker shade of blue it would be an issue, but it is Magic Blue after all, so of course it’s going to work.

So, I’ve got both an excellent Inkjet printer a really good Laser printer at my disposal and I invested in the supplies I’ll need to make some decals. Keep your comm-link active over the next few weeks and I should be posting some photos of the first Mechanicus models completely finished with decals and final weathering applied. While this army has been coming together faster than projects from my past it’s still been a long slog so it’s going to be really satisfying to start seeing some models completing this final home stretch.