For me I love the GSC legs and bits with ad-mech bits for more modern servitors.

I don't like the electro-priest models myself but their robed legs with GSC torso and other bits look great.

I have not even opened most of my ad-mech stuff (apart from occasionally nicking bits for Vaylund Cal or my Warsmith) but it does look like those kits will provide a mighty ad-mech bits box from seeing what you have been doing.

Very inspiring.

First, a shameless bump doesn't include new content. I mean, it's a content update and not really a bump at all. No shame in that. 

Second, the electro priest robed legs and GSC torso work together shockingly well.

zUCHXXs.gif

Ok, I'm leaving. 

For me I love the GSC legs and bits with ad-mech bits for more modern servitors.

I don't like the electro-priest models myself but their robed legs with GSC torso and other bits look great.

I have not even opened most of my ad-mech stuff (apart from occasionally nicking bits for Vaylund Cal or my Warsmith) but it does look like those kits will provide a mighty ad-mech bits box from seeing what you have been doing.

Very inspiring.

Thanks. Yeah, the GSC Neophytes is a very versatile kit and the entire GSC line has all sorts of promise. Just wait until you see what I have in store for the Goliath in the very near future; I recently had a data-stream of inspiration hit me that I think will result in something very interesting. But those are other stories for other days.

I agree that the Electro-priest models are really out-of-place in the AdMech line and the're right at the bottom of the list for their design cues; they're just too stacked and swole for my taste and the belt takes it too far, if you ask me. I get that the AdMech line is meant to be really eccentric and eclectic with an odd mix-and-match of units, but they just don't do it for me; I've recently built a unit of them because they were all that was left but I won't be giving them any special treatment.

One of the best parts of the kit-bashes I've done is that even the GSC torsos I've used are spares in the kit so I'm not even sacrificing any of the Neophytes from being used for future projects. They're practically begging to be created. Yeah, so many tasty bits in the AdMech line that can find their way into lots of excellent ideas.

First, a shameless bump doesn't include new content. I mean, it's a content update and not really a bump at all. No shame at all. 

Second, the electro priest robed legs and GSC torso work together shockingly well.

zUCHXXs.gif

Ok, I'm leaving. 

Ok, fair enough. I guess when I'm writing a multi-thousand word post where I'm trying to be very careful with the language I'm using, I feel like I'm being a bit lazy when I toss up some bits to trim it down some.

As I said above, I'm not a fan of the Electro-priest models as a whole, but when I saw the official Daedalosus model using the lower robes with a more traditional Skitarii upper body, well that seemed like a good way to salvage a weak model. I was a bit nervous about getting the fit correct the first time I tried it but after that I discovered it's a snap to do.

*Subtle's eyes grow wide and he points accusingly* Dad joke! We got a dad joke here! That's right, you better... *Remembers that he's a dad who thinks he's funny* ... never-mind, it's all good. It catches up with us all, sooner-or-later. :smile.:

Ok, I’ve got no choice but to trim more out of the large post I’m working on. I’m stuck at a certain point and these images/projects simply take the post off in another direction just when I’m explaining my thinking and then I need to pull it back to what I’m trying to get across.

F8v87Ib.png

JzeRGES.png

∙ With no AdMech kits left to assemble but a mound of bits to work with I found myself compelled to create this counts-as Daedalosus and it turned out better than I expected.

Like with the other Daedalosus I showed previously everything except the Electro-priest legs is spare bits bashed together, even the outer robe from the Infiltrator kit, that I’m so amazed it fits as seamlessly as it does; I kept looking at the spare Infiltrator robe and the E-priest legs and it seemed like they would fit together very easily but I had to chop them up to find out. Given that the robe adds a lot of motion I fiddled around with the arms quite a bit to try and get a pose that compliments the happy accident I had created. It’s very dramatic combined with the rather static legs so I tried to give a sense that he’s spinning around to take a shot with the pistol at a target the servo-skull as picked out. This was my first try at making an Eradication Pistol and it wasn’t bad, but the solution I came up with for the other Daedalosus above was so good I’ve replaced the one pictured here with the improved version.

E6B9gQ2.png

2pVEUBG.png

∙ I’m not that fond of the official Manipulus model and I still had another set of Electro-priest legs kicking around (*Groan* Dad joke? *Nod* Dad joke.) so I picked over the pile-o’-bits again to see what I could come up with.

Ok, so I need an Omnissian Staff and some kind of shooty gizmo that can counts-as two obscure weapons. Yeah, I’ve got enough odds-and-ends that I can come up with that. I’m happy with the staff, but while the rule of 40k is that over-the-top is usually a good thing I think the shooter might be a bit too, err, over-the-top-heavy. It’s not the worst solution but I think I’ll keep looking for another opportunity to bash something together that’s more suitable for the role. I’ve also just noticed that I overlooked that the Manipulus has Mechadendrites (Considering the official miniature, of course he does, until you break them all off one-by-one) so I’ll have to see what I can come up with to evolve this idea just a bit more. But, not bad for a start of just bashing spare bits together to see what comes out the other side.

Adeptus Mechanicus is comfortably settling in alongside Chaos as a favorite for converting, bashing, and scratch building, with so many opportunities to mix things up. I can’t wait to get back to my Chaos to explore some darker ideas, and then blend the two factions as I start to contemplate my proper Dark Mechanicus and how they’ll be made real. I still suspect that GW will make them a proper faction someday, but who knows how far out that is, so until then I’ll keep working towards my own Darker goals…

• 2 weeks later...
∙ Disclaimer: Talk of the real world is going to find its way into this and some future posts because the tabletop gaming hobby and real-world conditions converge in the studio I’m trying to create. Earlier failed attempts at writing an update were going to do their best to avoid this but given the scope and scale of world events, I’m finding it difficult to untangle everything. In the spirit of being relaxed and civil, I don’t have any desire to bring up really heavy-handed economic, social, or political, subject matter that will cause friction in a place intended to help distract from such subjects of the real world. However, I find it all but impossible to talk about the hobby as it’s related to the studio without touching on some of my perspective about the structures and conventions of society that are having such a huge impact on my personal plans and the world that impacts us all. I welcome any dialogue that might arise from anything I’ll be talking about over the coming weeks, months, and years, but I insist that in public it remain casual, civil, and tied somehow to the subject of tabletop gaming; if it’s going to go too far off into the weeds please take it to a Private Message.

TL;DR ∙ Please see the end of this post for a summary of these extended musings. Abandon all hope ye who enter; here, there be monstrous walls of text.

Well then, it’s been a while. I really enjoy writing, but when there are too many things pulling at my attention, it’s so hard to do. Where to start? How ‘bout, the begending?

I didn’t invent the word but the mashup dawned on me a while back and seemed fitting as I came to the realization that so many events don’t really have a formal start or finish. Some events do have a discrete start, middle, and finish, but so many beginnings represent the end of something else, and so many endings are the beginning of something new. While I was coming to this understanding on a personal level, world events had me noticing that it’s even truer when it comes to the flow of history. There is no arguing that we are in a unique moment in history and it seems like it might be a once-in-a-lifetime begending on a massive scale with outcomes that we can only guess at right now. So what was originally going to be more about my own recent begendings, well, world events have made it difficult to ignore a larger picture.

So, last spring (Oh yeah, we’re going back a bit, but just for a quick recap) I managed to injure my hand when I had an altercation with a cat we’d adopted. I don’t hold it against Oakley because he was still mellowing (He’s nothing but a good-tempered suck today) but he’s a huge cat and bit me really badly. He managed to nick the bone, hit a nerve, or something, in my right hand ruining my grip strength, and cats have bites that are notorious for getting infected so it took two rounds of antibiotics to get that under control; watching the infection spread across my hand, even after starting the first round of antibiotics within 24 hours, had me a little nervous until a switch to a more effective antibiotic made things right. I figured it would heal in a few weeks but it turned into more like a few months where I had no strength in my hand so it was all but impossible to cast or make moulds in the studio. All things considered, it was not lost on me that the same reasonably minor injury in another part of the world would have come with far more cost and/or complications but for me, it was an inconvenience that sidetracked me for a while.

m7aaMba.png

∙ I was able to paint, 3D model, contemplate, and procrastinate. This beauty is an example of my distracted 3D modelling but it also got me thinking. Want to help me make it real?

Initially, I created this APC as a bit of a flight of fancy not really considering it for production any time soon; it seemed too large and ambitious but I wanted to model an entire tank, so I did. But, the more I considered my situation the more I could see that small kits aren’t working right now. Crucial to perfecting my printing and production process, smaller kits are also very easy to get distracted with because they’re generally less work to design, consume fewer materials, and very prone to tempting flights-of-fancy; but, I simply can’t produce enough small kits by myself to make them profitable enough to fund faster studio expansion. I have the ambition to try and make it work by myself while I have no other realistic choice, but the cold reality is, the only way to make smaller kits work is to ramp up production by dividing the labour between more people; it’s fascinating how diving a complex task has a compounding effect on the output, so doubling or tripling the labour actually produces more than double or triple the output, and that will be the key in the future. So, for now, I’ve decided to really curb smaller ideas, keeping them for side projects and when I have proper studio space that can accommodate the extra people I can really focus on the smaller ideas to produce them in volumes that make them sustainable.

Until that can happen, I need to do larger kits like the APC pictured above that command a higher price per kit, and these kinds of larger projects will lend themselves to individual crowdfunding drives; if I can get 50 people to support a $100 kit, that’s $5,000 upfront that can let me really focus all my attention on the project for the weeks it’ll need to finish. Up to this point, I’ve been doing lots of labour and investing in materials upfront to get a kit ready for production and then waiting for it to recoup that investment with sales. I wish I could simply keep doing it that way but until I get some kind of a proper cushion of funds to work with I need to at least have a selection of kits that provide healthy returns as a foundation that fund progress. Even if a funding drive is less successful I can still make it work but the pace will be slower, and if it’s more successful I can slog to finish knowing I’m obviously on to something and gain more momentum to expand the studio that much faster. With everything I’ve done so far, I’m very confident in what I can produce, just not how quickly I can do it, but once I get a few done I’ll have a better idea going forward. With each kit successfully put into production I’ll have an ever-broadening selection for future customers and some upfront profit to take the pain out of the process. Once I’ve got a large enough selection of kits that can do some heavy lifting the cycle should be able to become self-sustaining as long as I can keep the ideas up and I’ve got plenty of ideas. So that was the plan, put the smaller stuff on the back burner to simmer and get the larger kits cooking, and then life happened, quite literally…

pXF6W5V.png

∙ Hello Begending. You didn’t think I was only going to reference current events and the like when I was talking about the real world, did ya’? I’ll see your expectations and raise you a baby!

In case you’re wondering, he’s about 7 minutes old in the picture above, and he’s about 7 months old today. So, right around the time, my hand was finally healing properly and I was getting the above plan sorted out this little guy became a future consideration… and promptly melted my brain. Preparation for his arrival combined with contemplating how he was going to fit in with everything I thought I had just sorted out, well, that was enough for my brain to start overheating for a while. At some point in the next 3-4 years, my house is going to need another bedroom and at least part of my in-house studio space is now on the chopping block to provide the room. If I’m starting to get cramped for space in my studio now, well I guess my timeline just got much more concrete. If I’m going to do the studio now I have no choice but to get really serious about it, or, let it go. *Sigh* Back to pondering and weighing pro’s, con’s, timelines, and all sorts of other things.

dvBkCZg.png

∙ I had plans of showing more in-progress images as the Onagers received their paint but that kinda’ got lost along the way as I became absorbed in it as a meditative distraction.

I’m fortunate to have some contractual work during the fall and winter months at the college I attended. It’s a mixed blessing since it’s nice that it adds to the household income but it also takes away some of the finical motivation to get the studio up-and-running. It can be frustrating when it feeds into my procrastination, but in this case, I was feeling more than a little distracted so I’m glad I have it to fall back on and provide some outside structure to my weeks. With that, I set to work on the modest task of three Onagers so that I might meditate through the act of painting; it isn’t my favorite part of the process, but I do like it for the trance-like state you can attain, that can then be used to block out some of the excess noise of the universe. My little nurgling pictured above (Producers of saliva, urine, feces, vomit, vectors for contagion of all manner, and yet so adorable and entertaining, yes, infants are essentially nurglings.) arrived in early December 2019 so there were only a few weeks until a hectic holiday season of visiting family followed up by a new year settling in discovering the kind of routine that a baby creates. No two are the same, so it takes some time to learn the routines and rituals of placation that work.

wyIOpzT.png

rGJ9yMX.png

∙ Despite the Onager competing for space in AdMech lists these days, I’m still very pleased to have a ‘unit’ of them ready for the tabletop.

I’m not sure I’d choose to do three of them together in one go again, but I can say that despite being much larger they were less daunting than painting three of the Sydonian Dragoons at the same time. Gluing the flip-down foot component to the base using the legs as a guide, and then keeping the legs loose during painting was a good plan. The AdMech model range benefits from (demands?) painting the models in sub-assemblies much more than other miniatures I’ve painted over the years, but they’ve given me an appreciation for what you can get away with if you’re careful during final assembly. I’ve learned that you can make surprisingly delicate/obvious connections between components without harming the paint job if you use Extra Thin solvent glue carefully; the simple trick is to be ready to aggressively blow on the join after applying the glue to quickly evaporate any excess that will cause damage or wrinkle the paint. However, the join must be plastic-on-plastic if you want it to properly fuse and have any serious strength so carefully masking all of the touch points with poster-tack before priming and painting adds to the model’s preparation. Personally, the reduced headache of trying to paint some of the many challenging nooks-and-crannies of the AdMech models is worth the effort.

While I’m pleased with how the decals turned out I’m a bit frustrated how obvious some of the edges are even after ample Micro Sol/Set application. They snug down to curved surfaces perfectly but it doesn’t soften or blend the edges. Being new to making decals I’m certain I was too heavy-handed with the spray-on film so I think I might need to try a few experiments to perfect the process of making them. I did some research to see if there are any other options for dealing with this and discovered that you can put a heavy coat of hard gloss varnish over the decal and then use really high grit sandpaper to blend the edges away. Naturally, I learned this after I had applied some softer satin and matt varnish in hopes that they would do the trick by themselves. I’m fighting the urge to be impatient and trying to very gently sand the edges with some 1200 and 2000 sandpaper, but I’m forcing myself to try it on something that isn’t a finished model first. I’m not pleased with it but it’s ultimately very minor and I’d hate to make a bigger mess trying to fix it.

VhflrOn.png

∙ As the Onagers were finished it started to dawn on me that, hold on a moment, *Checks his to-do list* I’ve… got a… painted army… ? ... I’ve got a painted army. I’ve got a painted army!! And look at that, a begending.

Now, the points have changed over the many months of painting and building, my understanding of 8th game mechanics and tactics changed (and now 9th is here), along with the AdMech faction getting some new toys, so I knew already that my 2,000 point list was going to change. (More on that in a moment.) I’ve also still got to do the decals on all of the troops, and some final little touch-ups and overlooked details, so there’s still a bit more work but the end of this phase is in actual sight at this point; I’m finally at the tipping point that going forward all I need to do is paint units to add to the greater whole and that’s always a lot less daunting. *Binaric screech of glee* So, even if the list is going to get an adjustment I have enough painted models to put a proper table-ready list together and actually venture out into the real world and start checking out what the scene in my area is like. I get out, start throwing some dice, meeting some people, and let my models work as conversation starters; I need to find at least a few talented individuals to grow the studio so I’d rather try and find a gamer or two who appreciates the hobby and this strange obsession with little plastic toy soldiers rather than someone just doing a job. To be perfectly honest, I have no desire to be a boss so why would I want someone who’s just an employee? (Again, more on that in a moment.) I finished the custom bits, assembling, basing, and priming the Onagers in December and painted them over January and February as the little nurgling settled into his routine, my brain settled back into my skull, and I reassured myself that yes, I can make this work. I’m sure you can see where this is going…

What could possibly happen in March to stop me from being able to go out into public?!

*Subtle sslloowwllyy tilts his head as his eyes grow wide and his expression becomes… disturbing*

Huh? What the heck is a Novel Coronavirus? *Entire regions of the world begin grinding to a halt* Aw jeez, now that’s a begending.

I think I’m gonna’ need another distraction, or several, and some time to process this turn of events. What’s that, stay at home orders? Well looks like I’ve got the time part sorted out.

sOTZIfY.png

xsyQb4g.png

∙ Umm, what else needs some paint? Some Breachers and another Dominus? That works for me! Because of my procrastination, these are actually finished at this point but that’s another story for another post.

Ok, this is somewhere in the middle of what I’m trying to write, but I got tangled up trying to convert my thoughts into words, and then I got pulled in a few directions by some studio stuff and more real-life events to distract me.

So, this will be a To Be Continued post that I hope to follow up within something resembling a short while.

TL;DR – See the end of my next post for a summary of my prolonged wording.

Cool, cool. Big plans in the works, a spiffy render, and some nice shots of your luvverly army. But wait, what's this?

TL;DR ∙ Please see the end of this post for a summary of these extended musings. 

TL;DR – See the end of my next post for a summary of my prolonged wording.

tenor.gif?itemid=7657014

Huh, what?

hot-fuzz-nobody-gif-5583812.gif

TL;DR - I recognize that lots of people don't read the text preferring to absorb the images, especially when there is a huge wall-o'-text like the one I created. The plan was to add a condensed bullet list of the main points I'm making through the post because there are some key things I want to express, but then I cut it in two so I'm saving that for the end of the next wall-o'-text. :smile.:

qhaAXpC.png

Thanks. The APC is 14cm Long, 9cm wide, and 5.6cm tall. It was meant to be a chassis that was between the Rhino and Land Raider that I had in my head before GW released the Sicaran. Then they did, and that gave me a chassis that I could borrow some design elements from and blend them with the Clouseau concept drawings to create what I came up with. I still want to give it a turret and/or a hull-mounted weapon and sponsons but I think that would make a good stretch goal.

I feel after such a meaty text I should reply with something more substantial than just a "good job" but I am tired so it will probably riddled with typos. Firstly, congratulations with the little Nurgling, that's a pretty significant change and as you set required a certain amount of preparation beyond that of the hobby. I have no sprogs myself but can imagine it is a big step. I hope your hand is on the mend, it's been a shame not to see your industrious progress on the forums. 

Your modelling progress is once again looking great. That APC looks fantastic and I'm sure you'll get plenty of interest in it. Combining that and the smaller projects you have undertaken I'm sure you can scale up your operation instead of cutting back. I've still got my eye on those rotary Phosphor Blasters for the Kastellans after all. :D

It's always good to see the progress on your army, the methodical painting of sub-assemblies looks like a more organised version of the headache I suffer when painting Skitarii and the Adeptus Mechanicus in general.

Thanks for taking the time, I always appreciate when people write something but I understand completely that most don't. Unless there's something to say with some substance, and that takes some effort to put into words, it's easier to just lurk. I wish i had enough time to just brows countless people's work on many platforms and just comment and chat, but there's just too much.

This is my second little Nurgling, so it's a mix of 'well this changes things' and 'been here done that', so all things considered the house seems to be settling in to the new routine, which is itself outside the normal because of everything that's going on. His brother is old enough that he's almost useful sometimes. :smile.: I kid, he's great with his little brother but I keep reminding him to remember how much he loves him once he's 3 and becoming a terror and destroying his stuff.

Oh, the hand has been healed for quite some time but it was the thing that put me off track way back last summer, but also got me thinking while I was stuck unable to do much. Then, when it healed and I planned on getting things going, well, one thing after another started to happen up to and including the entire world moving into very interesting times, so plans seemed like something that needed to wait a few months to see how things progress. There's still huge uncertainty but I'm going to loose my mind son if I don't start doing something. so yeah, time to get started and roll with the punches when i have to deal with them in the future.

The entire range of AdMech bits are on deck and will be part of what I'm going to talk about in my next long-winded post; they kinda' break my rule of smaller bits and kits but there has been such positive response to them asking if there's any plans to make them that I's be silly to not do it. However, I've got another plan in the works that I'm using to justify my bending of this new rule.

Yeah, I force myself to be organized now, because I got tired of the headaches I kept giving myself. AdMech really benefit from having a game plan when you sit down to work on a buch of them.

Subtle, what I always really appreciate about your posts is that when going over the B&C as a distraction from work or real life, trying to clear my head, your pots always seem to give some insight into a process you're going through, that, while your process is completely different from the one I am going through, is still in a way applicable to mine - and therefore your rummaging posts almost get a therapeutic quality to them - despite my readint them to dissasociate from my non-hobby goings-on. TLDR: thanks for your ever-structured sharing of your insights into your processes. I highly enjoy and appreciate them.

Also, that AdMech force looks absolutely gorgeous - and proves that when it comes to colour schemes, less is so, so often far more. The transport looks ace and maybe most importantly to you; congrats on the baby! He's almost eight months old now, but still. :) As a recent owner of my own nurgling, I can relate how utterly distracting they can be. ;)  

Other direct replies to come soon’ish. But first, see, what else is new? I want to be writing to finish up my last post but then all of this showed up and I had another task to get done. I was planning on getting this at a later point but a recent windfall let me invest in a new ventilation hood and two 5’x3’ solid steel workbenches. Getting the 68 kg (150 lbs) benches down into my cave, err, basement studio was fun to say the least, here’s hoping they don’t have to get back out. I’ve been looking at these for a few years and the price kept creeping up so I’m glad to be able to get them sooner rather than later in case another increase is in the cards, which I suspect is likely.

kleD1LJ.png

∙ Great, a much needed 500 CFM upgrade to my ventilation but now I gotta’ figure out how to fit it in and connect all the ducts.

BT0chQQ.png

∙ Now that’s a respectable upgrade to my modest Manufactorium that’s instantly helped with my organization and equipment layout.

The setup is still rather humble but it’s almost starting to look like I know what I’m doing. :smile.: It might seem odd that something as simple as a large sturdy flat surface would make me downright giddy but I’ve been dealing with a cobbled-together collection of tables that were less than ideal up to this point so it’s a simple but significant improvement.

Next up I need to get a small clay slab roller so I can speed up my mould making process and save my poor ageing hands from the torture of doing it with a rolling pin. After that, I will be upgrading pressure camber ‘A’ and ‘B’ to match the heavier ‘C’ chamber and the two lighter chambers will be put on permanent mould making duty to help the process further since casting and mould making won’t need to share the same pressure chambers. But for now, this setup will let me hit the ground running again with my current plans and have room for improvement soon. The next update should be my finish to my last wall-o’-text where I’ll give an outline of what I’m planning and to look for any input or feedback that might be forthcoming.

Looking good! Having an organised table to do things is incredible for some, I'm one of them. Reorganised my table a bit day before yesterday and it makes the hobby feel less stressful. 

I won't pretend and say I have any real knowledge of the equipment you have, but glad to see upgrades. Stick on some purity seals! ;) 

Ganbatte! 

*Subtle clenches his eyes shut and blocks his ears with his hands in a futile attempt to stop the endless ideas that lurk in the dark corners of his brain*

No no no! I have things to do! Please stop temping me with distracting ideas! *Binaric screeching* Lo, the Omnissiah offers inspiration so that I might find my way in these dark times.

fHkgNae.png
∙ Yes! I know! I am to take the concept of the Forge World Ordinatus and blend it with this glorious AdMech mega kit-bash.
rXJTeeZ.png
∙ Look! Can you see?! I have begun gathering the required components and have contemplated my plan. Can you see it?! I can see it!

It will happen, and it’s sooo tempting to get started on it because it’s begging to come into existence, but I’ll settle for this much progress as a proof-of-concept and put it aside. For now…

I like where you're going with this, I really do. I know it's a proof of concept, but are you planning doing something a little more... substantial for the tracked sections?

Can I offer a bit of real world inspiration in the form of the German WWII 600mm mortar Karl?

JJbWkpK.png

And firing. For funsies. 

T5tTvZa.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/H7iEm8CKI9ZAs/giphy.gif

I'm guessing the legged conversion isn't yours? A pity, because legs make every tracked Lord of War better. However, your proof of concept tracked version still looks appealing - in a non-phallic sense of the word ;)